bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

That sucks man...Michigan is 82% according to the governor at $350 per week. Not sure about the extra 600 per week from the feds though. I remember trump saying he wanted the feds to do unemployment because state system could not handle it. 

Washington is putting out the fed amount with, backtracked to when the bill was signed. This last week I got my unemployment plus two weeks of the federal pay as well in one lump payment. Wife is still working on unemployment, Oregon’s response has been piss poor. She hasn’t even been able to call them for two weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, Whitecloud0101 said:

 I’m very tired of society feeding into this ...for real. 

 

This pretty much says "my feelings on this subject are more valid than the rest of society's because I say so." 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OaksterDan said:

 

This pretty much says "my feelings on this subject are more valid than the rest of society's because I say so." 

Listen Linda. While I am sympathetic to those who have been affected by the 19, I also believe hiding and shutting society off isn’t helping us any longer. I believe we should re-open but with realistic social D expectations in place. Obviously hotbeds for the C need to play it a bit differently. Obviously those truly at risk should play it differently. When I see the news and it says a 90 yr old male passed from the C with underlying health issues; I think man I hope I see 90...for my 12 yr old son to not be able to play baseball just seems a bit unrealistic. Why exactly are ppl still hunkered down? Is it fear, politics, left v right, or the actual C, the curve, what is it? Most ppl recover from this super cold and if proper hygiene is used, then so be it. To watch families suffer who have nothing to do w the C is what bothers me. Yes all New Yorkers are in a different situation. But let’s say ummm...North dakotans, Alaskans...farmings industry, cattle, etc..why suffer when the risk is minimal? Yes, I did my part, I did the “socially right thing to do🤪” and stayed home for 2 months. Eviction, repossession, collection notices pile up. Kids physical, mental, emotional well being declines. For what? Flattening the curve. I get it. So is the consensus in this forum to sit inside and wait for a vaccine that won’t hit us until 2021? At what point to the the echoed words of the cure can’t be worse than the cause ring true... Safe to say we all agree on this..we love baseball. Regardless of everyone’s opinion on the C19, I hope y’all stay safe, take care of your family..god bless

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Listen Linda. While I am sympathetic to those who have been affected by the 19, I also believe hiding and shutting society off isn’t helping us any longer. I believe we should re-open but with realistic social D expectations in place. Obviously hotbeds for the C need to play it a bit differently. Obviously those truly at risk should play it differently. When I see the news and it says a 90 yr old male passed from the C with underlying health issues; I think man I hope I see 90...for my 12 yr old son to not be able to play baseball just seems a bit unrealistic. Why exactly are ppl still hunkered down? Is it fear, politics, left v right, or the actual C, the curve, what is it? Most ppl recover from this super cold and if proper hygiene is used, then so be it. To watch families suffer who have nothing to do w the C is what bothers me. Yes all New Yorkers are in a different situation. But let’s say ummm...North dakotans, Alaskans...farmings industry, cattle, etc..why suffer when the risk is minimal? Yes, I did my part, I did the “socially right thing to do🤪” and stayed home for 2 months. Eviction, repossession, collection notices pile up. Kids physical, mental, emotional well being declines. For what? Flattening the curve. I get it. So is the consensus in this forum to sit inside and wait for a vaccine that won’t hit us until 2021? At what point to the the echoed words of the cure can’t be worse than the cause ring true... Safe to say we all agree on this..we love baseball. Regardless of everyone’s opinion on the C19, I hope y’all stay safe, take care of your family..god bless


This should be the last post in this thread.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, TribeFoo said:

Yeah, that $1200, which millions still haven’t received and won’t for months, is for sure worth all this. 🙄 Same for unemployment. As someone who was furloughed for three weeks I’ll just go ahead and debunk this whole thing. My “leave” began on 3/29. It’s 4/26. Know how much of this lavish government money I’ve seen? $0. State unemployment is nowhere close to handling this. Ohio has paid out about 35% of claims, which is probably on the high end. Last I read Florida had paid out about 7%. So you and “your circle” just go on believing that everyone who’s out of a job is just living it up on government funds. The majority of people haven’t seen a dime since their last paycheck.

 

Reminds me of a favorite cartoon. 

spacer.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t the obvious answer that we should be social distancing as long as the hospitals would potentially get overwhelmed but open up if they won’t? Isn’t that the entire POINT? And why people are saying we’re likely going to have to do something like 1 month on, 1 month off until the vaccine.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Isn’t the obvious answer that we should be social distancing as long as the hospitals would potentially get overwhelmed but open up if they won’t? Isn’t that the entire POINT? And why people are saying we’re likely going to have to do something like 1 month on, 1 month off until the vaccine.... 

800k cases in the US considered ongoing. About to break 1m total cases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

800k cases in the US considered ongoing. About to break 1m total cases. 

So your solution is no professional sports until there is a vaccine and not just a flu type vaccine but a polio type vaccine that is near 100 percent effective so we will be looking at at least 18 months at a minimum? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So your solution is no professional sports until there is a vaccine and not just a flu type vaccine but a polio type vaccine that is near 100 percent effective so we will be looking at at least 18 months at a minimum? 

Don’t see how you can open up sports and have thousands of people around each other when you have almost 5x the cases as the next worse country. Seems like a bad idea. I mean, unless you are trying to start a second spike, which if you are wondering was the one that killed the most during the 1918 pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Don’t see how you can open up sports and have thousands of people around each other when you have almost 5x the cases as the next worse country. Seems like a bad idea. I mean, unless you are trying to start a second spike, which if you are wondering was the one that killed the most during the 1918 pandemic. 

So your solution is to wait until there is a vaccine?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Don’t see how you can open up sports and have thousands of people around each other when you have almost 5x the cases as the next worse country. Seems like a bad idea. I mean, unless you are trying to start a second spike, which if you are wondering was the one that killed the most during the 1918 pandemic. 

How did the Spanish flu end? There was no vaccine or treatment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So your solution is to wait until there is a vaccine?

Where did I say that?

 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

How did the Spanish flu end? There was no vaccine or treatment

Herd immunity. Only took 50-100 million dead worldwide. Difference is this is a coronavirus. Most of them you only have immunity from for a year or two. 

Edited by daynlokki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Where did I say that?

 

Herd immunity. Only took 50-100 million dead worldwide. 

Yeah...Herd Immunity is probably the only thing that is going to stop this one too barring some miracle breakthrough in science. We have to trust that our medical systems are much better to reduce that to under 500K-1 million worldwide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yeah...Herd Immunity is probably the only thing that is going to stop this one too barring some miracle breakthrough in science. We have to trust that our medical systems are much better to reduce that to under 500K-1 million worldwide. 

Only way for that to happen is to keep the curve down. Look up St Louis vs Philadelphia during the 1918 pandemic. One lowered the curve by doing extreme social distancing measures. The other threw parades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Where did I say that?

 

Herd immunity. Only took 50-100 million dead worldwide. Difference is this is a coronavirus. Most of them you only have immunity from for a year or two. 

So you still haven't said when you would be ok with pro sports opening up again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So you still haven't said when you would be ok with pro sports opening up again

When there isn’t a large amount of danger for thousands of people packing hotels in about five cities. Maybe when they can actually handle the testing requirements to make sure the players are safe. Testing is nowhere near where it would need to be to have gatherings like this. Arizona has done less than 70k tests since January. They gonna be able to handle 7-10k weekly tests from the players, managers, trainers, hotel workers and all that? Without those answers I can’t even see discussing it. There is no point. As soon as a player gets sick, his whole team has to be quarantined with the possibility of every team in that same hotel having to be quarantined. We just gonna start and stop the league several times? Players can’t even agree with owners over what they will be paid. Players want the prorated amount of their signed contract based on games played. Owners want to pay about half that because of no ticket sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U.S. deaths soared in early weeks of pandemic, far exceeding number attributed to covid-19

Quote

In the early weeks of the coronavirus epidemic, the United States recorded an estimated 15,400 excess deaths, nearly two times as many as were publicly attributed to covid-19 at the time, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

The excess deaths — the number beyond what would normally be expected for that time of year — occurred during March and through April 4, a time when 8,128 coronavirus deaths were reported.

The excess deaths are not necessarily attributable directly to covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. They could include people who died because of the epidemic but not from the disease, such as those who were afraid to seek medical treatment for unrelated illnesses, as well as some number of deaths that are part of the ordinary variation in the death rate. The count is also affected by increases or decreases in other categories of deaths, such as suicides, homicides and motor vehicle accidents.

But in any pandemic, higher-than-normal mortality is a starting point for scientists seeking to understand the full impact of the disease.

 

These numbers are similar in scale to results from other countries, but because science is messy and difficult, the full picture is going to take a while to come into focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

U.S. deaths soared in early weeks of pandemic, far exceeding number attributed to covid-19

 

These numbers are similar in scale to results from other countries, but because science is messy and difficult, the full picture is going to take a while to come into focus.

The US still isn’t counting the deaths of anyone who died without a positive test a covid death. As I am a presumptive case, if I died it wouldn’t even count towards the case numbers or deaths. Because pneumonia isn’t bad enough to warrant a single test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The US still isn’t counting the deaths of anyone who died without a positive test a covid death. As I am a presumptive case, if I died it wouldn’t even count towards the case numbers or deaths. Because pneumonia isn’t bad enough to warrant a single test. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its website this week to explicitly say that cases where the infection was not confirmed by a test may now be counted.
 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/which-deaths-count-toward-the-covid-19-death-toll-it-depends-on-the-state/2020/04/16/bca84ae0-7991-11ea-a130-df573469f094_story.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its website this week to explicitly say that cases where the infection was not confirmed by a test may now be counted.
 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/which-deaths-count-toward-the-covid-19-death-toll-it-depends-on-the-state/2020/04/16/bca84ae0-7991-11ea-a130-df573469f094_story.html

Ok so SOME states ‘may be’ recording them while others from your citation are taking deaths off for people dying of pneumonia, while having covid, but they somehow count that as not dying from covid, despite covid causing pneumonia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Ok so SOME states ‘may be’ recording them while others from your citation are taking deaths off for people dying of pneumonia, while having covid, but they somehow count that as not dying from covid, despite covid causing pneumonia. 

Either way, your statement was false and I was just clarifying, with a link to the facts for others to see. If you’re wrong and someone corrects you, it is not a personal attack. I just want the facts out there.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we can pretty confidently say based on the excess death estimates cited above is that stats from before the CDC's relaxed guidelines are a massive undercount, while stats after the relaxed guidelines are still an undercount, but less so, since they'll contain some but not all states' estimates of excess deaths believed to be attributable to COVID-19 but not confirmed via testing.

This is similar to how CDC's officially recorded influenza deaths can number in the 7,000 range but lead to an estimate of ~30k or more deaths.  People like to use the flu as a shorthand for how deadly COVID-19 is, and until now, have been comparing flu death estimates that include these additional cases to COVID-19 estimates that don't include them.  Over time, we'll be able to retrofit new information into these historical estimates, but unfortunately, as that article pointed out, the lower end estimates were used to guide policy decisions initially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

When there isn’t a large amount of danger for thousands of people packing hotels in about five cities. Maybe when they can actually handle the testing requirements to make sure the players are safe. Testing is nowhere near where it would need to be to have gatherings like this. Arizona has done less than 70k tests since January. They gonna be able to handle 7-10k weekly tests from the players, managers, trainers, hotel workers and all that? Without those answers I can’t even see discussing it. There is no point. As soon as a player gets sick, his whole team has to be quarantined with the possibility of every team in that same hotel having to be quarantined. We just gonna start and stop the league several times? Players can’t even agree with owners over what they will be paid. Players want the prorated amount of their signed contract based on games played. Owners want to pay about half that because of no ticket sales. 

This post will not get a standing ovation, nobody wants this, but I think you might be right. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.