bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I think I have it.  I'm going to be staying home, quarantining myself and resting up.  It may just be the flu though idk

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. If you haven’t already done so I’d suggest calling your doctor ASAP to set up a plan. He/she may still want you to come in (with a mask on) to get tested for the flu first. If positive there wouldn’t be a need to test for CV. If negative they’d probably do the CV test. There are potentially things you might be able to do to lessen the severity of the virus like using a humidifier, taking steam showers, drinking lots of fluids, getting plenty of rest, keeping your blood pressure down etc. Stay safe.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So in light of the NBA being suspended you'd have to think its in the realm of possibility that the MLB season can be postponed. THAT BEING SAID - does it make sense to alter your draft approach to target more players that are starting the season on the DL? Guys like Judge, Paxton, Cespedes etc. come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others just like them. What do you guys think?

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

43 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

So in light of the NBA being suspended you'd have to think its in the realm of possibility that the MLB season can be postponed. THAT BEING SAID - does it make sense to alter your draft approach to target more players that are starting the season on the DL? Guys like Judge, Paxton, Cespedes etc. come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others just like them. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking drafts should be postponed if the season gets postponed. Wouldnt make sense to draft a team right now if games dont end up starting for a couple months

49 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yes, most definitely. I’d bump up Clev, Verlander, Judge, and Stanton up a bit on your draft board. I’ve been congratulating myself for avoiding all those guys in my 8 drafts so far, but I don’t think it’s going to make much of a difference now. I backed out of my draft scheduled for this Saturday with all of the uncertainty and I think I’m just going to wait things out for now before I sign up for anymore.

Posted (edited)

Ken Rosenthal posted an excellent article on The Athletic this morning detailing other scenarios MLB is considering. Here's the long and short of it:

- Start the season in empty MLB parks, provided there isn't intervention from the government to suspend the season for a period of time

- Relocate early games to spring training parks. This, of course, depends upon the spread of the virus. Arizona may be "safer" than Washington right now, but that could change over the next two weeks

- Shortening the season. This could also include cancelling the All-Star Game and making up games that week or extending the season past 9/27 and playing postseason games in neutral site domes

Edited by TribeFoo
fixing formatting
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You can certainly still get sick outside. That is a strawman that no one suggested. But he’s not wrong that open air, outdoor stadiums will in fact be much cleaner and safer. 

“He says sunlight, which is less abundant in winter, can also help break down viruses that have been transmitted to surfaces.

“UV light breaks down nucleic acid. It almost sterilizes [surfaces]. If you’re outside, it’s generally cleaner than inside simply because of that UV light,” he says.

UV light is so effective at killing bacteria and viruses it’s often used in hospitals to sterilize equipment.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures

"hes not wrong"

athank you

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You can certainly still get sick outside. That is a strawman that no one suggested. But he’s not wrong that open air, outdoor stadiums will in fact be much cleaner and safer. 

“He says sunlight, which is less abundant in winter, can also help break down viruses that have been transmitted to surfaces.

“UV light breaks down nucleic acid. It almost sterilizes [surfaces]. If you’re outside, it’s generally cleaner than inside simply because of that UV light,” he says.

UV light is so effective at killing bacteria and viruses it’s often used in hospitals to sterilize equipment.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures

I always wondered why flu season was the same everywhere in the US (cold areas and warm). This makes sense now. The strength of the suns rays is dependent on the season, not just temperature.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think it's really interesting how the county seems to either be 1) completely in panic mode or 2) completely underestimating this thing. I was planning to attend a work / professional org event (indoors) on Saturday night with roughly 60-100, and just informed my employer that I would prefer not to go in light of what's going on. Keep in mind this event will include buffet style food, corn hole, and min-golf (i.e., lots of touching). I haven't really changed my daily routine, other than being a bit more diligent with the hand sanitizer, but this seemed like an unnecessary risk to me. I got the sense that my employer thought I was overreacting. Keep in mind my state (MD) already has 12 confirmed coronavirus cases and that doesn't even count DC and Northern VA which are really part of the metro area. 

All that said, I can't even imagine attending an indoor sporting event, concert, etc. over the next few months and I don't feel like I'm even on the panic end of the scale. It will be interesting to see how these teams lure people back to the games, even after the threat of exposure is gone. I think it might be a hard sell. 

At this rate MLB will very likely delay the start of the season. There is no announcement because we are still two weeks away, so there's time for them to wait and continue to re-assess the situation. It seems Florida and Arizona are still in pretty good shape with cases, but I'm honestly surprised they haven't paused the games. Teams could theoretically get all the work they need to get in in their own simulated games if needed, with no fans, and limited contact with others (baseball is not a contact sport in general, especially in simulated game settings). Would think it wouldn't be too hard for club houses to prepare on their own.

4 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

At this rate MLB will very likely delay the start of the season. There is no announcement because we are still two weeks away, so there's time for them to wait and continue to re-assess the situation. It seems Florida and Arizona are still in pretty good shape with cases, but I'm honestly surprised they haven't paused the games. Teams could theoretically get all the work they need to get in in their own simulated games if needed, with no fans, and limited contact with others (baseball is not a contact sport in general, especially in simulated game settings). Would think it wouldn't be too hard for club houses to prepare on their own.

They really should be playing ST games in empty ballparks RIGHT NOW while they mull over a final decision on the actual season. Delay seems like the only option. I can't imagine the owners willingly forfeiting revenue by playing empty stadium in-season games. 

• Like 1

Assuming the MLB season is delayed will you delay your drafts or have them? I'm leaning towards delaying since so much can change, player/injury wise from one week to the next. 

49 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I think it's really interesting how the county seems to either be 1) completely in panic mode or 2) completely underestimating this thing. I was planning to attend a work / professional org event (indoors) on Saturday night with roughly 60-100, and just informed my employer that I would prefer not to go in light of what's going on. Keep in mind this event will include buffet style food, corn hole, and min-golf (i.e., lots of touching). I haven't really changed my daily routine, other than being a bit more diligent with the hand sanitizer, but this seemed like an unnecessary risk to me. I got the sense that my employer thought I was overreacting. Keep in mind my state (MD) already has 12 confirmed coronavirus cases and that doesn't even count DC and Northern VA which are really part of the metro area. 

All that said, I can't even imagine attending an indoor sporting event, concert, etc. over the next few months and I don't feel like I'm even on the panic end of the scale. It will be interesting to see how these teams lure people back to the games, even after the threat of exposure is gone. I think it might be a hard sell. 

I'm here in Seattle and there's no chance that type of event would be happening.  It would have been cancelled a week ago.

I think the best course of action would be to basically have the rest of ST games be non-attended scrimmages, just to keep guys semi-sharp.

Then continue to see how things play out with the spread and have several plans ready to deploy.

I admittedly took all this a bit to lightly, mostly because of the panic the mainstream media tends to dish out.

I returned yesterday from international travel, the difference in the airport scene in just one week was striking and a bit scary--for certain. I am just happy to be back and hope I don't seriously regret my decision to forgo a safer pattern on the fly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Assuming the MLB season is delayed will you delay your drafts or have them? I'm leaning towards delaying since so much can change, player/injury wise from one week to the next. 

Just last night, I asked our commissioner what the plan was and he said all plans are go.

I was a former commissioner in this same league. Were I to make the call, as of right now, I wouldn’t  change anything. Probably wouldn’t change anything even if the start of the season is postponed.

In the event that the season is canceled (which I see as very unlikely) then we will probably have a powwow to discuss how to handle fees done paid and offseason drops.

The way I see it, there's already more luck and uncertainty in this game that we shouldn't reward people for guessing right on the duration of any interruptions in the game in terms of who they draft.  The only league I commish is a dynasty, but I hope all of my redraft leagues move their drafts as close to the start of meaningful games as possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I returned yesterday from international travel, the difference in the airport scene in just one week was striking and a bit scary--for certain. I am just happy to be back and hope I don't seriously regret my decision to forgo a safer pattern on the fly.

Wow, where did you travel?

13 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Wow, where did you travel?

Down to the Bahamas, via CHI. The Nassau airport was basically a ghost town, an amazing contrast from when I was down there a year ago. Even our flight home was maybe a bit more than half full. I felt better about our resort location being across the bridge from the mega Atlantis--where all the cruise ships dock.

Yeah, MLB season gonna be suspended. Probably see that get announced later today

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I admittedly took all this a bit to lightly, mostly because of the panic the mainstream media tends to dish out.

I returned yesterday from international travel, the difference in the airport scene in just one week was striking and a bit scary--for certain

You were not alone so many people didn’t want to believe this virus could get this bad especially here in the USA. 
Welcome home. Were people worried that live in the Bahamas? Any confirmed cases? 

I heard that monstrous 4.1 KM asteroid changed direction. 

While I’m disappointed that the start to the baseball season is in all likelihood going to be delayed, I’m pleased to see that our country is finally recognizing the seriousness of this virus and taking meaningful measures in containing it. 

• Like 1

Bad news: we’ll probably get a shortened season, 120-140 game slate. Less baseball is sad.

Good news: Big stiff Stanton will only miss 120-140 games now instead of the 162!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Wow, was this planned I’m advanced, or was this spur of the moment?

Trips are insanely cheap right now. My wife and I seriously considered taking a honeymoon (married three weeks ago) on a cruise. Five nights from Galveston for two around $500 and round trip flights to Houston from Denver was $67!

The deciding factor wasn’t so much being exposed to the virus (we did take that into consideration) but we didn’t want to get stuck somewhere for “x” amount of time with our kids at home.

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

We are proceeding. I'm assuming the rest of ST will be cancelled and the start of the season delayed, but I don't really see how player values are hugely changed.

2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

We are proceeding. I'm assuming the rest of ST will be cancelled and the start of the season delayed, but I don't really see how player values are hugely changed.

umm

sure helps some of my aches and strains guys

• Like 1