bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

12 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Yep, and the Pirates may end up winning the Chris Archer trade if Glasnow, Meadows, and Baz are captured by aliens.  But if that happens, that doesn't suddenly vindicate Neal Huntington, because good outcomes don't vindicate bad process.

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Right, but you can't measure a baseball trade and an epidemic strategy on the same time scale. 

spacer.png

Sick selective quoting skills, but I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be, as there is no contradiction in there.

For anyone wondering, Arizona has dipped to 50th in testing per capita. 

On 5/1/2020 at 7:33 PM, bhawks489 said:

Appeal to authority. Logical fallacy

Aren’t most points in the corona discussion appeal to authority then?

Even now the amount of actual facts we have is very limited. Everything including the numbers you see posted on “official” sites are guess work. Which means you would be appealing to that authority.

Appeal to authority doesn’t necessarily discredit a claim either. Fallacy fallacy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, B&F said:

This my stance at this point.

It’s an excellent article that doesn’t seem to stem from political bias and attempts to take into account as much angles as possible.

The irony of replying to people who want to start opening the economy with “you don’t care about other people’s lives!” is that reply is just as selfish as people that care about opening the economy because of the stock market.

Once everyone realizes that yes people are dying and opening the economy will probably lead to it happening at a quicker pace but people are also without jobs and unable to support their family. Also being inside all day isn’t exactly great for mental health. The best we can do is try to find a middle ground. Try and protect the high risk individuals as much as we can but let people that need to provide for their family do so. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Even now the amount of actual facts we have is very limited. Everything including the numbers you see posted on “official” sites are guess work. Which means you would be appealing to that authority.

Appeal to authority doesn’t necessarily discredit a claim either. Fallacy fallacy. 

You are talking about data compared to one scientific person making a claim.

Huge difference and easy to see tbh. 

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority

Edited by bhawks489

17 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

You are talking about data compared to one scientific person making a claim.

Huge difference and easy to see tbh. 

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority

I know what appeal to authority is.

Most of the data is more or less the opinion based on input variables from a person or a group of people (an authority).

I do know what you mean though. Using just one person holds a lot less value. My point is, no one really has any concrete evidence or numbers for any of this yet. 

• Like 1

Restrictions will continue to be loosened as we move through May and June. Not soon enough for some, but nonetheless we're moving towards the idea of letting virus infect more of the herd hopefully without an overwhelming surge. We'll see... 

Hoping most will continue to take precautions until there's a vaccine. Many won't...

Think we'll be hearing more on viral infectious doses and hoping limited exposure is resulting In less severe symptoms for most who have or will end up with the virus. 

Worried about this winter with the regular flu and covid in circulation. Some will panic when getting sick while others will not stay home. Both may be a problem.

Back to work on Monday, rejoining society and the herd.

50 minutes ago, MrBrett said:

Restrictions will continue to be loosened as we move through May and June. Not soon enough for some, but nonetheless we're moving towards the idea of letting virus infect more of the herd hopefully without an overwhelming surge. We'll see... 

Hoping most will continue to take precautions until there's a vaccine. Many won't...

Think we'll be hearing more on viral infectious doses and hoping limited exposure is resulting In less severe symptoms for most who have or will end up with the virus. 

Worried about this winter with the regular flu and covid in circulation. Some will panic when getting sick while others will not stay home. Both may be a problem.

The number of seriously sick has increased since our last daily record on deaths. If the pattern follows what happened before there is about to be another spike. 

Guys, nothing to worry about. I was just on Facebook and found out this whole thing is made up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Good luck, stay healthy out there.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, daynlokki said:

The number of seriously sick has increased since our last daily record on deaths. If the pattern follows what happened before there is about to be another spike. 

Yeah, unfortunately we seem to be at our limit to our intial response to stay at home. Don't believe we'll see a return to widespread lockdowns so hoping for the best.

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Good luck, stay healthy out there.

Thanks, will be interesting. My company decided to stay open, but some of us stayed home. I'll be one of the last to return. Heard Friday that an employee's grandfather tested positive and was sent home last Tuesday for 2 weeks and our company sent some employees to get tested. Tests came back negative.  

Businesses need contingent plans when someone gets sick with Covid. Wondering how willing employees will be to notify employers if a family gets sick. Don't think many are prepared to reopen regardless of the ability to do so.

22 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I'm taking "fallacy fallacy" for my own personal use.  

Imagine trying to function without appealing to authority sometimes or following the heard or whatever.  

10 people in Bundesliga tested positive for covid 19. They haven't even started playing yet. Just training under quarantine rules. I think the MLB might be able to start a season. I doubt it. I really don't think they will be able to finish a meaningful season. I think they will be dealing with cases of the virus all year. It just depends on how many.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

10 people in Bundesliga tested positive for covid 19. They haven't even started playing yet. Just training under quarantine rules. I think the MLB might be able to start a season. I doubt it. I really don't think they will be able to finish a meaningful season. I think they will be dealing with cases of the virus all year. It just depends on how many.

thats not the main Problem. its 2nd Bundesliga too. 1700 Tests taken, 10 positive. the Question now, is it all over the Place or located in 2-3 spots. then this would be positive  News.

the real Problem now is a 10 Minute Facebook live stream by a Player from Hertha Berlin. Walking around, no distancing, shaking Hands with teammates and People from around the Team. so now, everyone is saying "nice Concept bundesliga-but nobody follows through". 

we will see. Wednesday should be the big day. but Overall the pressure here in Germany is really rising to reopen more. our numbers are Looking really good. declining all over the map. 80 Million People-under 7k death-only around 1k new cases a day for the past days-active cases going down too.

Update from GA: Week 2 of the "reopening" has been worse than week 1, thus far.

After the initial week of cases dropping, we've seen the third largest day of positive confirmed cases since the crisis began last Friday, the 1st, at 1,230 new cases.  The peak day was still back on April 7th at over 1,600.

We're now at day 12 since Kemp relaxed stay at home orders on the 24th.  We're at 7,581 new cases since then.

In the 11 day window prior to the 24th (13-23rd) we had 9,328 new cases.