bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Just now, MrPositive said:

So will the games be attendance-less?

There are reports of many different potential plans, but yes this seems to be a consistent idea baked into all of them.  

[ Posts moved here from baseball-specific thread.  @MrPositive, we're trying to keep the "COVID-19 Baseball Impact" thread more focused on specifics of baseball reopening.  Your post, which made a moral argument  (" Sounds really caring for human beings over sports lol ") was not removed as you suggested, but moved to this thread.  If you guys are taking things in a more baseball-oriented direction without morality / political commentary, then it's fine to resume the discussion over there. ]

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Ok, but as the authors of the article note, "it's likely a mix of both."

AND according to the CDC, deaths from ALL causes have been declining week over week since the week of April 11th.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

So, regardless of the flaws with aggregating this data, I don't see any sources which are showing us "coronavirus deaths per day are rising" on the whole for the country.  It appears to me the opposite is true.  Whether this trend will continue is anyone's guess now.

Promising, but expected to an extent with all the shut in orders. If it stays this low as states open up, great. But there are reasons to be skeptical that will work.

• Like 1

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

Promising, but expected to an extent with all the shut in orders. If it stays this low as states open up, great. But there are reasons to be skeptical that will work.

Course.  It seems inevitable with more people out and about transmission will go up. 

To what extent, and what is the response?  I have no earthly idea.  All we can do is hope that the downward trends continue.

Germany.

Bundesliga Restart: may 15. duesseldorf-padeborn. Friday evening game. Saturday-Sunday will follow.

thats the regular matchday 26. so i expect BVB-schalke Derby on sat may 16.

• Like 1

[ Posts with links to anti-vax conspiracy theory nonsense about COVID-19 removed.  The Epoch Times has been widely discredited as a source for information. See here, here, and here.  Furthermore, their open embrace of the racism of calling the virus "The Great Wuhan Virus" violates this community's guidelines. If you're posting anti-vax conpiracy theory garbage, regardless of the source, it will be removed.  If you have a question about a deleted post, reach out to a moderator. ]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Course.  It seems inevitable with more people out and about transmission will go up. 

To what extent, and what is the response?  I have no earthly idea.  All we can do is hope that the downward trends continue.

2500 deaths today now. 

5 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

[ Posts with links to anti-vax conspiracy theory nonsense about COVID-19 removed.  The Epoch Times has been widely discredited as a source for information. See here, here, and here.  Furthermore, their open embrace of the racism of calling the virus "The Great Wuhan Virus" violates this community's guidelines. If you're posting anti-vax conpiracy theory garbage, regardless of the source, it will be removed.  If you have a question about a deleted post, reach out to a moderator. ]

You've done a great job moderating this s-storm btw.  This is the easy stuff: picking off conspiracy trash that exploits the ignorant.  A lot of it has been much trickier, like balancing the unavoidable discussion of government response with preventing things from descending into partisan rants and bickering.  

The funny thing is that, at first, I would see your avatar and a bunch of parenthetical explanation for why a post had been edited and I thought you were constantly having your posts edited by moderators for getting out of line.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

You've done a great job moderating this s-storm btw.  This is the easy stuff: picking off conspiracy trash that exploits the ignorant.  A lot of it has been much trickier, like balancing the unavoidable discussion of government response with preventing things from descending into partisan rants and bickering.  

The funny thing is that, at first, I would see your avatar and a bunch of parenthetical explanation for why a post had been edited and I thought you were constantly having your posts edited by moderators for getting out of line.  

Yup.

I like this thread and the other, it's made for good conversation and I've learned quite a bit.  I've gone out of bounds on a couple and there are some folks who I don't pay attention to, but overall I think they've both been good and am grateful for the effort Tony's put in to keep the sandbox clean.

Thank you.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Not all that shocking. Even staying at home, seniors and such had to have outside contact with the world otherwise they couldn’t have eaten or anything. I’d bet over 90% of the US population has been in a grocery store since the lockdowns and those that haven’t have had someone else do the shopping for them, which still could infect them. 

18 hours ago, cornerback said:

Germany.

Bundesliga Restart: may 15. duesseldorf-padeborn. Friday evening game. Saturday-Sunday will follow.

thats the regular matchday 26. so i expect BVB-schalke Derby on sat may 16.

so, no Friday game matchday 26. because politics said it can Restart the second half of may. thats may 16. full first matchday: Saturday-monday

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/spieltag

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, cornerback said:

so, no Friday game matchday 26. because politics said it can Restart the second half of may. thats may 16. full first matchday: Saturday-monday

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/spieltag

Odds are officially back up on sports wagering websites. Man, its soo good to see. I just hope it doesnt backfire and that the season gets completed.

If there are more idiots present like Kalou.. it will get shut down again real quick.

Edited by jonninho

10 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Not all that shocking. Even staying at home, seniors and such had to have outside contact with the world otherwise they couldn’t have eaten or anything. I’d bet over 90% of the US population has been in a grocery store since the lockdowns and those that haven’t have had someone else do the shopping for them, which still could infect them. 

Exactly. So an extensive lockdown is not the answer. Once the hospitals can get ample supplies and icu/bed relief their needs to be some sort of start up. Everyone is going to come in contact with the virus at some point in the next year. Keep mass gatherings from happening and have remote plans for office workers. The problem is going to be schools and mass transit. Both reasons why NYC got hit so hard.

32 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Exactly. So an extensive lockdown is not the answer. Once the hospitals can get ample supplies and icu/bed relief their needs to be some sort of start up. Everyone is going to come in contact with the virus at some point in the next year. Keep mass gatherings from happening and have remote plans for office workers. The problem is going to be schools and mass transit. Both reasons why NYC got hit so hard.

The other option is to follow the road Sweden did which is definitely not gonna be the answer. 

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The other option is to follow the road Sweden did which is definitely not gonna be the answer. 

Definitely not the road to take. Protecting the most vulnerable should be priority #1 in everyone's plan.

Just now, duke of queens said:

Definitely not the road to take. Protecting the most vulnerable should be priority #1 in everyone's plan.

OK and how do we do that? If more people are out and about even seniors will get sick at a higher level completely staying at home. As now the people getting groceries and such for them are now exposed to a much higher volume of people. 

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

OK and how do we do that? If more people are out and about even seniors will get sick at a higher level completely staying at home. As now the people getting groceries and such for them are now exposed to a much higher volume of people. 

People getting groceries for seniors don't have to come in contact with them. If I get groceries they are left at my door. 

29 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

People getting groceries for seniors don't have to come in contact with them. If I get groceries they are left at my door. 

And coronavirus lives on surfaces for hours. You ever forget to wash your hands after bringing them in? Clean the outside of plastic products before touching or eating from them? Seniors are the group of the populace most likely to forget to do things such as washing hands. 

53 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

And coronavirus lives on surfaces for hours. You ever forget to wash your hands after bringing them in? Clean the outside of plastic products before touching or eating from them? Seniors are the group of the populace most likely to forget to do things such as washing hands. 

BS, they are the ones most likely to take the precautions

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

“Experts” had Sweden’s death count predictions at 40,000 by now.

They are at 3,000. 10th in deaths and not even top 20 in cases adjusted for population size.

I would say it’s working out quite fine for Sweden. You won’t hear it anywhere though because it doesn’t fit the narrative. Imagine if Sweden was actually leading in all these categories like predicted. The media would swallow it up.

44 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I wipe down all my packages only to make my wife happy. There is no way I get every piece of every package. I am not wiping down my food with disinfectant wipes or produce with soap and water. I do open my windows from time to time, but sometimes I forget to strap up the N95 window guard screen to block the droplets from people sneezing in my window. Sounds a little ridiculous, but that is what this has come to. 

My point is we can't stay locked down forever. There has to be a point to where things start up again. I don't know when that is, but for many it better happen soon or they are going to lose everything they have worked for. I am not sure where you live but I live in NYC and am dreading having to hop on the train to go to work, not because of catching something, but because of the a-holes that are gonna be out overreacting when the train gets crowded or the fights that are gonna happen if someones mask falls off or droops down. Or if someone sneezes etc. 

The building I work in is trying to bring in new tech to sense when you are close to the turnstile(so you don't have to touch your badge) so it opens automatically. All he offices and cubicles are in the process of being redesigned to adhere to social distancing, basically removing all conf rooms.

- Illinois governor saying churches won’t be able to gather with 50+ until vaccine available 

- Hair Salon owner sent to jail for 7 days while states are releasing prisoners 

- Helicopters flying over beaches telling people to leave 

- Important and potentially life saving procedures not available in a lot of places 

- LA city council voting to list hotels and potentially take control of them that refuse to host homeless 

Welcome to 1984 boys...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Imagine thinking top 10 in global deaths per capita, being one of only six countries in Europe to not be seeing cases decline,  and an economy as bad or worse than your Scandinavian neighbors is "working out quite fine".

I’ve been over this multiple times.

It is unavoidable that the initial curve will be higher when everything is open. However, how it will look in a year is the question. Sweden very well may face a much faster peak and in the end the result will be similar. My point is, all these “experts” we listen to had them projected to be way worse than everyone else. 

Its not a simple conversation of just saving lives. Economy and liberty factors into it.