bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Numbers have been pretty high if I remember correctly. 

Ya we're up there on the leader board.  Opening up manufacturing monday,  so plan on a new spike soon. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Right. So this does not apply to the LA City Council.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-30/editorial-the-only-heartbreak-hotels-during-the-pandemic-are-the-ones-that-wont-let-homeless-people-in%3f_amp=true

This is saying the exact opposite as what you are saying is happening @Gohawks

Edited by daynlokki
  • Like 1

27.5k new cases so far with a few hours to go. That’s 2K above yesterday. Serious/critical increase by a full thousand to the highest ever total at 16,995. 

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Right, to my knowledge they haven't actually forced hotels to house homeless people yet but they have threatened too. Folks are just discussing whether they have the right to do that.

There were a lot of incredibly embarrassing hot takes in the earlier part of this thread. Kudos to those who learned enough to understand their mistake and change their tune or least go silent. That's a legitimate skill that I strive to fully acquire. 

I hope a few weeks from now we'll find more posters looking back at the posts they're making now with a bit of embarrassment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Right, to my knowledge they haven't actually forced hotels to house homeless people yet but they have threatened too. Folks are just discussing whether they have the right to do that.

Sounds like many places are doing the exact opposite and trying to stop them from housing the homeless. Also, in the citation it states many hotels WANT to do it for the 3 months room pay, and ability to partially open back up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/la-city-council-votes-identify-185050014.html

What does what you post have to do with what I posted? Yes, hotels are refusing. So now the city thinks they can commandeer the hotels. They can’t. 

Sounds like many places are doing the exact opposite and trying to stop them from housing the homeless. Also, in the citation it states many hotels WANT to do it for the 3 months room pay, and ability to partially open back up. 

It’s not that complicated.

My initial post clearly stated LA city council and states that they WANT to take control of the hotels. It never states they have nor does it talk about other places.

You can’t just misrepresent what I said to make it seem like it’s misinformation. That’s not going to lead to any productive discussion. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/la-city-council-votes-identify-185050014.html

What does what you post have to do with what I posted? Yes, hotels are refusing. So now the city thinks they can commandeer the hotels. They can’t. 

Did you really even read what I posted... hotels aren’t refusing. They are CHOOSING to open up to the homeless so they can bring in the 3 months of room rent per person. 
That city council vote was to figure out who was discriminating based on someone being homeless and possibly take away any tax incentives or public benefits they have received due to that discrimination. 
You really need to follow the links on stories. They skew facts based on ONE person saying one specific quote. 

Edited by daynlokki
  • Like 1

That's awesome if hotels want to house homeless and cheers to them. I'm sure most would like to think they'd do the same given the circumstances The point is they shouldn't be forced by the government to house homeless. It's their private property.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fletch44 said:

That's awesome if hotels want to house homeless and cheers to them. I'm sure most would like to think they'd do the same given the circumstances The point is they shouldn't be forced by the government to house homeless. It's their private property.

One councilmen said they should look into that. That’s it. Didn’t say they were going to. The vote was to see which places aren’t following through and are also receiving public assistance during this time. As if they are receiving said public assistance, they cannot discriminate. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

It’s not that complicated.

My initial post clearly stated LA city council and states that they WANT to take control of the hotels. It never states they have nor does it talk about other places.

You can’t just misrepresent what I said to make it seem like it’s misinformation. That’s not going to lead to any productive discussion. 

It is misinformation because you make it sound like it is some part of a pattern of government take over, when it's really "some guy said something." They are trying to figure out ways to help the homeless and to get some money for hotels and workers. They're trying to help people and businesses (while the feds bail out hedge funds).  A lot of ideas are being thrown around and somebody zeroed in on one idea they don't like. Someone used that to represent the whole project to make some clickbait or manipulate the chumps who listen to them on TV/radio.

"LA city council and states... WANT to take control of hotels."  Even in your own link, using your own phrase, there is no evidence for that. One, individual councilman wants to make the names of hotels who refuse public. He, an individual, thinks it COULD be a civil rights issue.  That's it. Nothing about the council as a whole or states.  What they want or what they think is legal. 

So you've presented a deceitful account of what actually happened, then spun a misrepresentation of a triviality to make a mountain out of a mole hill. And frankly, to make a rare example of the government being positive and creative into something sinister. 

This is a little Trout saying he wants to see his kid born and people arguing that this proves there won't be a season.   

Edited by GamblorLA
  • Like 3

We are definitely crossing the rubicon here. If these re-openings go sideways shutting everything down again will be practically impossible because the attitude I'm seeing nation-wide is that Coronavirus is soooooo March. We haven't had any federal leadership from day one of this fiasco and it's going to cost us dearly, both in lives and treasure.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

We are definitely crossing the rubicon here. If these re-openings go sideways shutting everything down again will be practically impossible because the attitude I'm seeing nation-wide is that Coronavirus is soooooo March. We haven't had any federal leadership from day one of this fiasco and it's going to cost us dearly, both in lives and treasure.

Almost 30k new cases yesterday. We may be spiking back to where we were at the worst of it. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Rolling 7 day average of new cases over the country continues to drop every day since April 24th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Here in GA, we've now reached the 14 day mark since Kemp rolled back social distancing parameters on some businesses.

The number of new cases has actually dropped from the previous 14 day period, which is frankly, shocking to me.  We've dropped from a rolling 7 day average of 745 new cases in mid April to 220 now.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

What I think is of concern now is probably your more rural areas that dogged the initial wave while the urban units bore the brunt of it and are now having to make their own preperation.  But they'll get there.

I'm confident based on the results we've seen here that there is a roadmap to success to not overburdening the health care system.  The governor here now is encouraging every citizen in the state get screened, we've really ramped up testing, and the ancillary facilities required to test and treat patients.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/with-more-virus-test-supplies-kemp-urges-all-georgians-screened/eC9sNh6Yck2aLncOU8wuFP/

We need to stay vigilant.  Continue to follow the guidance of public health officials, wash our hands, protect the sick and elderly, maintain 6 feet of distance when possible.

But I see light at the end of the tunnel from here.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 5

If we can re-open responsibly, i.e. anyone that can work remotely does, everyone wears masks and social distances, families limit necessary trips to one person, etc. there is a path to returning to semi-normal for a while until a vaccine or cure is made. Unfortunately, it seems that in places re-opening, people are completely ignoring the guidance. We've all seen the pictures of people at beaches, parks, and restaurants unmasked and in big groups. As long as this behavior continues then re-opening isn't safe.

Just now, Sidearmer said:

If we can re-open responsibly, i.e. anyone that can work remotely does, everyone wears masks and social distances, families limit necessary trips to one person, etc. there is a path to returning to semi-normal for a while until a vaccine or cure is made. Unfortunately, it seems that in places re-opening, people are completely ignoring the guidance. We've all seen the pictures of people at beaches, parks, and restaurants unmasked and in big groups. As long as this behavior continues then re-opening isn't safe.

You can't control the actions of others, but you can control your own actions.

It's just like driving.  Some people are idiots.  And yes sometimes they will wreck into you no matter how safe you are.  But if you are a good driver, practice defensive techniques and are aware of your surroundings you can help mitigate that risk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You can't control the actions of others, but you can control your own actions.

It's just like driving.  Some people are idiots.  And yes sometimes they will wreck into you no matter how safe you are.  But if you are a good driver, practice defensive techniques and are aware of your surroundings you can help mitigate that risk.

If it were like driving, you would be driving with a blindfold on as you cannot see the virus or know where it is at all times. People try to mitigate the risk of catching the flu and manage to every year. This is far more contagious and it feels like about half the country just couldn’t care if they got others sick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it were like driving, you would be driving with a blindfold on as you cannot see the virus or know where it is at all times. People try to mitigate the risk of catching the flu and manage to every year. This is far more contagious and it feels like about half the country just couldn’t care if they got others sick. 

What is your plan for re-opening the economy?

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Well not opening things up all at once across the entire nation, that’s for sure. Mississippi just went from phase 1 to 2 in ONE WEEK. I’d probably follow the guidelines of the CDC and Dr Fauci, which we definitely aren’t doing currently. I mean, that’s what they are paid for. States are giving our entire scientific community a huge middle finger right now and I have a horrible feeling that’s going to come back to bite us far, far more than a depression would. Which we are more likely than not having anyways. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I think we need to adjust our expectations in that consumer confidence isn't going to rebound overnight just because the governors are saying that we can go back to work.

Some of the difficulties may be just getting started for business owners, unfortunately, because they are going to have to pull double duty of making their employees feel safe that they are going back to work while also being diligent about their health and also try and win customers back.

It's going to be hard.  A lot aren't going to make it.

But there's still cash reserves in a lot of places.  Large lending institutions, private equity and venture capital firms will lend again, eventually.  The nature of a lot of businesses may change quite a bit to service more of a remote model.  Things are going to change, by necessity.  But these things are cyclical.  We won't be at double digit unemployment forever.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Rolling 7 day average of new cases over the country continues to drop every day since April 24th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Here in GA, we've now reached the 14 day mark since Kemp rolled back social distancing parameters on some businesses.

The number of new cases has actually dropped from the previous 14 day period, which is frankly, shocking to me.  We've dropped from a rolling 7 day average of 745 new cases in mid April to 220 now.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

What I think is of concern now is probably your more rural areas that dogged the initial wave while the urban units bore the brunt of it and are now having to make their own preperation.  But they'll get there.

I'm confident based on the results we've seen here that there is a roadmap to success to not overburdening the health care system.  The governor here now is encouraging every citizen in the state get screened, we've really ramped up testing, and the ancillary facilities required to test and treat patients.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/with-more-virus-test-supplies-kemp-urges-all-georgians-screened/eC9sNh6Yck2aLncOU8wuFP/

We need to stay vigilant.  Continue to follow the guidance of public health officials, wash our hands, protect the sick and elderly, maintain 6 feet of distance when possible.

But I see light at the end of the tunnel from here.

We would only now start seeing cases from the rollback. It's up to a two week period to show symptoms. I'm not dismissing this data, but it should be viewed in the proper light. The next two weeks will more accurately show the results from opening things back up. 

Eta not only that but there's a delay in Georgia numbers. https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/new-changes-state-virus-data-confuse-experts-residents-alike/T6EbPkqGJt1RhK3qtYp6hL/

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

We would only now start seeing cases from the rollback. It's up to a two week period to show symptoms. I'm not dismissing this data, but it should be viewed in the proper light. The next two weeks will more accurately show the results from opening things back up. 

Eta not only that but there's a delay in Georgia numbers. https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/new-changes-state-virus-data-confuse-experts-residents-alike/T6EbPkqGJt1RhK3qtYp6hL/

Sure, but the fact that there is ANY kind of rolling average drop, be it prior to or in congress with states reopening is still progress.  And that's why I showed you HA numbers, because...

There has been, however the rolling 7 day drop has been consistent with the past week and half's worth of data here after they clearly caught up.  There was only one day in the past 14 where we haven't seen a consistent drop, the 1st of May, the day after we had a record 20,000 new tests conducted.

can someone get a hold of S Korea and tell them what they did right that we couldn't or can't do. Caues they are playing baseball without masks

Just now, butlerbeatpitt15 said:

can someone get a hold of S Korea and tell them what they did right that we couldn't or can't do. Caues they are playing baseball without masks

spacer.png

• Haha 7