bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Right. The issue is people disagree with what the best way to look out for one another is. I don't have an issue with people believing we should stay locked down for a certain period of time. Everyone has their own valid reasons for what they believe is the best solution. I do have an issue with the following:

1) Politicizing the issue.

2) Acting like people that disagree with you are uneducated

3) Acting like people that disagree with you are selfish and/or don't care about the well-being of other people.

I've seen a bunch of all 3 across social media and in this thread. Both from the left and from the right. Clearly we can all agree to disagree at this point and arguing isn't going anywhere. I rather discuss football at this stage on this forum than engage in a pointless back and forth. 

Spot on, but this is the baseball forum..tony might get u for some Dk Metcalf talk

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Spot on, but this is the baseball forum..tony might get u for some Dk Metcalf talk

Eh, I rarely visit the baseball forum. I don’t play fantasy baseball and the Mariners are a disgrace. The COVID thread here is just the only one that’s active 

56 minutes ago, DivisionVision said:

Some covid humor...

Weird.  A couple years ago I used to watch that guy's vids making fun of essential oils and stuff.  Now he's an anti-vaxer who thinks Bill Gates wants to microchip him.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, tonycpsu said:

Nah, Cuomo did a terrible job as well.  I feel like I've bashed him here before, but if not, here's your "missteps":

Seattle’s Leaders Let Scientists Take the Lead. New York’s Did Not

The only reason Cuomo has the image he does is because de Blasio was so much worse.

Exactly.  That's why Cuomo went so over board with the TV time.  He was trying to make up for lost time.  NY is still over 1/3 of the countries deaths yet they got hit with covid much after it was apparent in California and Washington.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Exactly.  That's why Cuomo went so over board with the TV time.  He was trying to make up for lost time.  NY is still over 1/3 of the countries deaths yet they got hit with covid much after it was apparent in California and Washington.

Genome mapping shows they got hit before. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Genome mapping shows they got hit before. 

I haven't heard anything like that.  I've actually been reading the opposite.  That New York got a more mutated version from Europe while California and Washington (state) got the version much closer to the genome out of Asia.

But either way genome mapping is highly speculative to begin with.  What we do know for a fact is the first official cases of the states.

Washington was Jan 21st

California was Jan 26th

New York's first official case was March 1st.

Until Mid March Washington was the highest cases and deaths per capita in the country.  Then NY exploded past them.  But that is a huge gap in first official cases.  If NY did have it sooner than Washington or California and it took them that long to publicly announce an official case that only makes their response look even worse.

11 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

I haven't heard anything like that.  I've actually been reading the opposite.  That New York got a more mutated version from Europe while California and Washington (state) got the version much closer to the genome out of Asia.

But either way genome mapping is highly speculative to begin with.  What we do know for a fact is the first official cases of the states.

Washington was Jan 21st

California was Jan 26th

New York's first official case was March 1st.

Until Mid March Washington was the highest cases and deaths per capita in the country.  Then NY exploded past them.  But that is a huge gap in first official cases.  If NY did have it sooner than Washington or California and it took them that long to publicly announce an official case that only makes their response look even worse.

Everyone’s response was horrible. Studies have found earlier cases in almost every state. The main version of the virus in the US currently is the European version. Genome mapping isn’t speculative. They base it on how similar two genomes are. The genome mapping from NY was pretty much exact with that of the U.K. Saying genome mapping is speculative is like saying DNA in court cases is speculative. 

How is it that the US is so much worse than everywhere else on Earth? How is it that New York City has 183,000 cases on the other side of the planet and Hong Kong had only 1,000 cases and 4 deaths in a similar sized city with a dense population only 700 miles away in China? Even if the Hong Kong numbers were under-recorded, wtf?  We are so exponentially worse than any place on Earth, seemingly by every metric???

6 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

How is it that the US is so much worse than everywhere else on Earth? How is it that New York City has 183,000 cases on the other side of the planet and Hong Kong had only 1,000 cases and 4 deaths in a similar sized city with a dense population only 700 miles away in China? Even if the Hong Kong numbers were under-recorded, wtf?  We are so exponentially worse than any place on Earth, seemingly by every metric???

We've tested many, many more people than every other country.  9.3 million tests.  Every other country besides Russia has tested less than 3 million.

The state of New York alone has more tests than all but 10 countries including our's.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

We had a far leakier lockdown than many other large countries. That, combined with the lack of a coordinated national response, botched early testing, and a grossly inept handling of an epicenter in one of the world’s largest cities (NYC).

The top-down strategy from here seems to be to ignore everything and pretend this never happened. No masks. Danger over. Mission accomplished. We'll know by the end of the month if we're on our way out or if this is just the beginning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

The top-down strategy from here seems to be to ignore everything and pretend this never happened. No masks. Danger over. Mission accomplished. We'll know by the end of the month if we're on our way out or if this is just the beginning.

I couldn’t believe that when this thing started we were being explicitly told to not wear masks. Idiocy. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It’s not much worse than “everywhere else on earth”.

Its outside of the top 10 in deaths for population and 10th in cases. Not factoring in that a lot of places aren’t testing properly. This is even with the fact that NY botched the entire thing beyond belief. Also, what comes out of China is hard to belief and the measures they took were hardly ethical.

While the US hasn’t handled the situation perfectly, saying the US is “exponentially worse” is fear mongering and usually used to push a political agenda. There’s nothing more to it. I don’t even know how else one can come to such a conclusion with all the data available. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I couldn’t believe that when this thing started we were being explicitly told to not wear masks. Idiocy. 

We were told not to wear masks in order to not take away from medical professionals. Initially, it was sound advice as manufacturing was behind demand. Doctors were having to reuse face masks over and over again in high risk situations while you would be walking around a store with one? Now that manufacturing has caught up wearing face masks is fine.

It’s not idiocy. It was about getting supplies to those that needed them most when demand spiked. 

Edited by Gohawks

38 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The U.S. is becoming a failed state.  Dems. and Reps. alike have taken a long vacation smack in the middle of this and right now they are working on getting bailout money to lobbying firms.  That's not some satirical joke. They are seriously going to give bailout money to lobbyists. 

The bailout package was over $6,000 for every person in the U.S., including kids.  Where did it go?  I'm among those who have yet to receive a cent.   (Luckily, I'm OK. But I could still use it!) 

The actual response as far as epidemiology goes is above my head, but it's clear to see that it was as broken and dysfunctional as everything else. If the government cannot respond to this situation in good faith, and honestly try to help the people get through it, it's safe to conclude that there is no situation in which they will do so.  It's done.  The only question is how rapid and violent our decline is. 

3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Everyone’s response was horrible. Studies have found earlier cases in almost every state. The main version of the virus in the US currently is the European version. Genome mapping isn’t speculative. They base it on how similar two genomes are. The genome mapping from NY was pretty much exact with that of the U.K. Saying genome mapping is speculative is like saying DNA in court cases is speculative. 

You clearly don't understand how it works.  Again the genome closer related to Asia was found on the West coast (the earlier) whereas NY was over run with one closer to the genome found mostly in Europe.  So I still have yet to see or find any evidence of NY having cases before Cali or Washington. 

You're talking about tracking a new virus that is rapidly mutating and sweeping through countries that don't have nearly enough testing or contact tracing.  There is no 100% certain way to say this mutation happened at this time in this place.  To think because they find a new mutation that they found the 1st actual one that was mutated like that is wishful thinking.  Notice they always say Europe and Asia.  That is because it is NOT a perfect science.  If it were so precise they'd have already released a timeline of every mutation at the exact time in the city that it occurred.  But we have nothing close to that.  The have it broken down as precise as these mutations likely happened in Europe and these ones likely happened in Asia.  Again not a perfect science.  Also DNA isn't 100% either just for the record.  Yeah DAN testing is far more reliable than mapping the genome of a new virus but not infallible. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, daynlokki said:

So 99.3% of all MLB employees aren’t showing antibodies? That’s not a good thing. 

and as the blurb said, players want guaranteed safety. This season has bust all over it...😢

Edited by Whitecloud0101
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

You clearly don't understand how it works.  Again the genome closer related to Asia was found on the West coast (the earlier) whereas NY was over run with one closer to the genome found mostly in Europe.  So I still have yet to see or find any evidence of NY having cases before Cali or Washington. 

You're talking about tracking a new virus that is rapidly mutating and sweeping through countries that don't have nearly enough testing or contact tracing.  There is no 100% certain way to say this mutation happened at this time in this place.  To think because they find a new mutation that they found the 1st actual one that was mutated like that is wishful thinking.  Notice they always say Europe and Asia.  That is because it is NOT a perfect science.  If it were so precise they'd have already released a timeline of every mutation at the exact time in the city that it occurred.  But we have nothing close to that.  The have it broken down as precise as these mutations likely happened in Europe and these ones likely happened in Asia.  Again not a perfect science.  Also DNA isn't 100% either just for the record.  Yeah DAN testing is far more reliable than mapping the genome of a new virus but not infallible. 

Well there definitely is. You take blood tests and mark the date. Hey look, it’s there at a certain date and time. Genome tracking is extremely effective and extensively used in stuff like this. You can try and marginalize it all you want, it’s legitimately just as accurate as DNA right now. So if you’re discounting genome mapping, you are essentially stating DNA evidence isnt reliable either. 

Rapidly mutating? This mutates far, far slower than the flu virus. It’s one of the things most likely saving us right now. 

Edited by daynlokki

NYT: Don’t Be Fooled by America’s Flattening Curve

TL;DR: The national curve is still rising if you take NYC's numbers out:

image.thumb.png.401fc38ef0729da16897259283126a56.png

with similar patterns in other states when you subtract out their large metro areas:

image.thumb.png.00bcd6b50655b3399a0ee2f09dc6c9cc.png

None of this diminishes the excellent news that cases are moving in the right direction nationwide, particularly in light of increased testing in some areas.  Still, this points to a very difficult path forward for suburban and rural areas as they reopen.

But since areas are reopening, consequences be damned, we need to  be as careful as we can in assessing the risks.  This post does a great job laying out the variables you need to pay attention to as you venture out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

But since areas are reopening, consequences be damned, we need to  be as careful as we can in assessing the risks.  This post does a great job laying out the variables you need to pay attention to as you venture out.

That was a really helpful article, Tony. I returned to work last week and just shared it with all of my staff and co-workers. Thanks.

22 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

The U.S. is becoming a failed state.  Dems. and Reps. alike have taken a long vacation smack in the middle of this and right now they are working on getting bailout money to lobbying firms.  That's not some satirical joke. They are seriously going to give bailout money to lobbyists. 

The bailout package was over $6,000 for every person in the U.S., including kids.  Where did it go?  I'm among those who have yet to receive a cent.   (Luckily, I'm OK. But I could still use it!) 

The actual response as far as epidemiology goes is above my head, but it's clear to see that it was as broken and dysfunctional as everything else. If the government cannot respond to this situation in good faith, and honestly try to help the people get through it, it's safe to conclude that there is no situation in which they will do so.  It's done.  The only question is how rapid and violent our decline is. 

Like I said, cannibalism by July

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Deaths are way down.

Edited by Rotocious
  • Like 1