bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Tests per capita. US is currently ranked 38th. That’s not gonna do it. 30,949 per million in population. Most major first word countries are significantly higher. Spain and Portugal average almost double the tests per capita... what we need is the ability to just be able to test those with symptoms. They still cannot do that and instead just tell people to self isolate, which considering nobody gives two ***** about this because they think it’s minor, that becomes a problem. 

Our Health System was not setup for this and the CDC botched the early tests instead of using the German ones. The CDC had to tell states how to use their labs and even where they were located at the beginning.

“The fact is that the way the system was set up is that the public health component that Dr. Redfield was talking about was a system where you put it out there in the public and a physician asks for it and you get it. The idea of anybody getting it easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that,” Fauci said.

 

We are now testing over 300,000 per day and will be testing higher than all those countries by June or July

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Get a test if you want one: https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test

Or perhaps just an Antibody test: https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

 

Not criticizing your post or anything just laughing at the name "labcorp.com" - reminds me of "ACME" from Warner Bros. Roadrunner cartoons...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody seen any educated guesses on how long immunity lasts after you recover from infection? I haven’t seen any news of people being infected twice in the US (though I could’ve missed it). That’s got to be a good sign, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Get a test if you want one: https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test

Or perhaps just an Antibody test: https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

 

Have any statistics on the false negative/positive rates on those? FDA just changed their guidelines and about 70% of these are about to be pulled off the market. 

 

13 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Anybody seen any educated guesses on how long immunity lasts after you recover from infection? I haven’t seen any news of people being infected twice in the US (though I could’ve missed it). That’s got to be a good sign, right? 

If it’s like the coronaviruses that are a part of what’s considered the common cold, immunity will be a year or two. They have no idea currently with SARS or MERS and everything is just guesswork at this point. 

 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Our Health System was not setup for this and the CDC botched the early tests instead of using the German ones. The CDC had to tell states how to use their labs and even where they were located at the beginning.

“The fact is that the way the system was set up is that the public health component that Dr. Redfield was talking about was a system where you put it out there in the public and a physician asks for it and you get it. The idea of anybody getting it easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that,” Fauci said.

 

We are now testing over 300,000 per day and will be testing higher than all those countries by June or July

 

 

 

 

So we will finally be testing the same amount per capita as other countries in a MONTH OR TWO? Ya, our efforts have been great so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Georgia got tired of defending their laughable "7 day moving average counting a bunch of days that have incomplete data, including the current day" nonsense, and has now added a visual indicator that the current 14 day window is incomplete:

image.thumb.png.8be9808d3cdf7fcfbc2b9236cbd009ff.png

 

Baby steps, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Have any statistics on the false negative/positive rates on those? FDA just changed their guidelines and about 70% of these are about to be pulled off the market. 

 

If it’s like the coronaviruses that are a part of what’s considered the common cold, immunity will be a year or two. They have no idea currently with SARS or MERS and everything is just guesswork at this point. 

 

So we will finally be testing the same amount per capita as other countries in a MONTH OR TWO? Ya, our efforts have been great so far. 

Ny and mass have higher testing per capita than them now...it’s frustrating to me as well as I always thought we were the best. Germany’s tests and health care was just much better at the start so we have to play catch up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

Looks like Georgia got tired of defending their laughable "7 day moving average counting a bunch of days that have incomplete data, including the current day" nonsense, and has now added a visual indicator that the current 14 day window is incomplete:

image.thumb.png.8be9808d3cdf7fcfbc2b9236cbd009ff.png

 

Baby steps, I suppose.

I can confirm testing here at least is widely available and quite easy (at least around Atlanta).  Everyone I see is wearing masks, a number of restaurants remain closed by choice, and Kemp has continued to order bar and nightclubs remain shut.

The general mishandling of the reported data is, of course, terrifying.  It's flattened Kemp's approval rating so hard that it appears to be having a statewide negative effect on all Republicans, there was an internal GOP poll done that shows Biden in a dead heat with Trump (in GA that's pretty shocking) and Loeffler and Collins are suddenly not only in a dogfight with each other but democratic opponents as well.

The aggressive move may have backfired bigly, at least politically.  That said it does seem that people are being careful and we're still doing well with health care resources, so that's positive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I can confirm testing here at least is widely available and quite easy (at least around Atlanta).  Everyone I see is wearing masks, a number of restaurants remain closed by choice, and Kemp has continued to order bar and nightclubs remain shut.

The general mishandling of the reported data is, of course, terrifying.  It's flattened Kemp's approval rating so hard that it appears to be having a statewide negative effect on all Republicans, there was an internal GOP poll done that shows Biden in a dead heat with Trump (in GA that's pretty shocking) and Loeffler and Collins are suddenly not only in a dogfight with each other but democratic opponents as well.

The aggressive move may have backfired bigly, at least politically.  That said it does seem that people are being careful and we're still doing well with health care resources, so that's positive.

Hopefully you guys are holding Loeffler accountable for her shady stock sales right before this Corona shutdown as well. She made out like a bandit … 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crusaderfan said:

Hopefully you guys are holding Loeffler accountable for her shady stock sales right before this Corona shutdown as well. She made out like a bandit … 

Given her background, whoever was comfortable with her before probably doesn't care too much, and whoever wasn't isn't surprised.

Her husband is the chairman of the NYSE and ICE and they have made mega bucks with a lot of shady doings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t play fantasy baseball, so don’t know if this is the right place to put this, but I’m infuriated with the comments by Blake Snell today. He’s scheduled to make $7 million for this year. He said if they play half a schedule, he still expects to be paid $7M and not a prorated amount. How ludicrous is that?!  He says that he still has to pay taxes on that amount and it’s just not worth it to him. Bro, you are playing half the games, so half the work, and on a per game basis, it’s the same amount. (Of course if owners get their way and make the players take a reduction for reduced ballpark/television revenue that’s a different story.) He said that he would be “risking his life” to play, and at that reduced salary it’s unreasonable. 

Uh.... he’s playing a game with ball players who probably would be tested on a weekly if not daily basis. There’s likely no fans in the stands. Yet he’s risking his life for pennies? Tell that to all the young ER medical residents in training who are on the front lines, with at times inadequate protection, and making less than what this stooge makes in two games (Snell makes $43K a game for 162 games), only one of which he may actually be pitching. What an entitled self-centered a$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CooL said:

I don’t play fantasy baseball, so don’t know if this is the right place to put this, but I’m infuriated with the comments by Blake Snell today. He’s scheduled to make $7 million for this year. He said if they play half a schedule, he still expects to be paid $7M and not a prorated amount. How ludicrous is that?!  He says that he still has to pay taxes on that amount and it’s just not worth it to him. Bro, you are playing half the games, so half the work, and on a per game basis, it’s the same amount. (Of course if owners get their way and make the players take a reduction for reduced ballpark/television revenue that’s a different story.) He said that he would be “risking his life” to play, and at that reduced salary it’s unreasonable. 

Uh.... he’s playing a game with ball players who probably would be tested on a weekly if not daily basis. There’s likely no fans in the stands. Yet he’s risking his life for pennies? Tell that to all the young ER medical residents in training who are on the front lines, with at times inadequate protection, and making less than what this stooge makes in two games (Snell makes $43K a game for 162 games), only one of which he may actually be pitching. What an entitled self-centered a$$.


perhaps but the owners are bigger jerks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CooL said:

I don’t play fantasy baseball, so don’t know if this is the right place to put this, but I’m infuriated with the comments by Blake Snell today. He’s scheduled to make $7 million for this year. He said if they play half a schedule, he still expects to be paid $7M and not a prorated amount. How ludicrous is that?!  He says that he still has to pay taxes on that amount and it’s just not worth it to him. Bro, you are playing half the games, so half the work, and on a per game basis, it’s the same amount. (Of course if owners get their way and make the players take a reduction for reduced ballpark/television revenue that’s a different story.) He said that he would be “risking his life” to play, and at that reduced salary it’s unreasonable. 

Uh.... he’s playing a game with ball players who probably would be tested on a weekly if not daily basis. There’s likely no fans in the stands. Yet he’s risking his life for pennies? Tell that to all the young ER medical residents in training who are on the front lines, with at times inadequate protection, and making less than what this stooge makes in two games (Snell makes $43K a game for 162 games), only one of which he may actually be pitching. What an entitled self-centered a$$.

Because one person is underpaid and risking their life at work is not a good argument for why another person should be underpaid and risk their life at work.

 

I can see the argument for giving players their full salary and also the argument for giving them a prorated salary. But right now the owners are trying to reduce players pay even further than what they already agreed upon. And for that they can get bent.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CooL said:

I don’t play fantasy baseball, so don’t know if this is the right place to put this, but I’m infuriated with the comments by Blake Snell today. He’s scheduled to make $7 million for this year. He said if they play half a schedule, he still expects to be paid $7M and not a prorated amount. How ludicrous is that?!  He says that he still has to pay taxes on that amount and it’s just not worth it to him. Bro, you are playing half the games, so half the work, and on a per game basis, it’s the same amount. (Of course if owners get their way and make the players take a reduction for reduced ballpark/television revenue that’s a different story.) He said that he would be “risking his life” to play, and at that reduced salary it’s unreasonable. 

Uh.... he’s playing a game with ball players who probably would be tested on a weekly if not daily basis. There’s likely no fans in the stands. Yet he’s risking his life for pennies? Tell that to all the young ER medical residents in training who are on the front lines, with at times inadequate protection, and making less than what this stooge makes in two games (Snell makes $43K a game for 162 games), only one of which he may actually be pitching. What an entitled self-centered a$$.

Owners aren’t trying to give him even a prorated salary based on games played. They already agreed to that. They are trying to pay him around maybe 25% of his contract so they can line their pockets further. Not how it works. How would you feel if you had a contract for a job, things happened and you agreed to a contract essentially cutting your pay in half, then the owner of your country came up to you and said in order to play baseball you have to make half of even that, as a ceiling. How many places have hazard pay as a pay decrease?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Owners aren’t trying to give him even a prorated salary based on games played. They already agreed to that. They are trying to pay him around maybe 25% of his contract so they can line their pockets further. Not how it works. How would you feel if you had a contract for a job, things happened and you agreed to a contract essentially cutting your pay in half, then the owner of your country came up to you and said in order to play baseball you have to make half of even that, as a ceiling. How many places have hazard pay as a pay decrease?

Uh, lots of ER doctors at major health systems who are literally risking death every day are being asked to take paycuts. But I get it, just because doctors might be getting shafted doesn’t mean that millionaires should be shafted as well. But his comments to me come across as tone deaf. Let the players association reps battle it out. Yes, don’t accept that unfair paycut. But keep your mouth shut and don’t look like an entitled brat. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

Hopefully you guys are holding Loeffler accountable for her shady stock sales right before this Corona shutdown as well. She made out like a bandit … 

 

The other guy (Barr?) got served with warrants by the FBI.  They took his phone too.  Hopefully, she's next.  

In a perfect world, they'd both be convicted of treason.  But in the real world, maybe we can hope for a couple years in club fed and being mentioned in history books as the lowest of the low during this event.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CooL said:

Uh, lots of ER doctors at major health systems who are literally risking death every day are being asked to take paycuts. But I get it, just because doctors might be getting shafted doesn’t mean that millionaires should be shafted as well. But his comments to me come across as tone deaf. Let the players association reps battle it out. Yes, don’t accept that unfair paycut. But keep your mouth shut and don’t look like an entitled brat. 

Was that ER doctors pay collectively bargained? By taking that pay cut is he making it precedence for pay cuts in the future for all other doctors in other situations? For all you know Snell is the player rep for the Rays. They haven’t announced who it was after Duffy left. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CooL said:

Uh, lots of ER doctors at major health systems who are literally risking death every day are being asked to take paycuts. But I get it, just because doctors might be getting shafted doesn’t mean that millionaires should be shafted as well. But his comments to me come across as tone deaf. Let the players association reps battle it out. Yes, don’t accept that unfair paycut. But keep your mouth shut and don’t look like an entitled brat. 

The bottom line is, they already have a deal and now the owners are saying that they want more money. 

It may not have been very tactful, but the content of what Snell was saying is, "honor the deal we already have in place and there will be baseball."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CooL said:

Uh, lots of ER doctors at major health systems who are literally risking death every day are being asked to take paycuts. But I get it, just because doctors might be getting shafted doesn’t mean that millionaires should be shafted as well. But his comments to me come across as tone deaf. Let the players association reps battle it out. Yes, don’t accept that unfair paycut. But keep your mouth shut and don’t look like an entitled brat. 

Doctors have a collective bargaining power that is essential for the entire system to work? Baseball's anti-trust exemption is dependent upon the players having a strong union that can collectively bargain.  A Doctor has a right to go find greener pastures because health care is a competitive market.  Baseball players only viable alternative is to go over-sea's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m quite frankly shocked at how much these boards always side with entitled multimillionaires. Same point of view was discussed when Le’Veon Bell was holding out. Yes, I agree their battle is with the owners, and these billionaire owners should be responsible for making up the shortfall if there is any, not the players. 

My point is: In times like these where people are losing their lives daily, families are going hungry because of lost jobs, and the world is more stressful than ever before, players should think before they speak. Not everyone is fortunate to play a kid’s game for $7M a year, let alone $3.5M, or gosh, maybe $2.5M. Don’t make it sound like walking out on the mound is a risky profession that is life and death. Being a baseball player is not anywhere close to being front line and a first responder. There’s lots of struggling people in this world right now- physically, emotionally, and financially. They don’t need to hear this entitled brat speak. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are shocked we would side AGAINST billionaires? Okie Dokie.  Not disputing his words lacked tact.

All your point can be applied the billionaires who don't bother to be charitable. Ones who actually have power to help those in need right now. Not just sympathy by being quiet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CooL said:

I’m quite frankly shocked at how much these boards always side with entitled multimillionaires. Same point of view was discussed when Le’Veon Bell was holding out. Yes, I agree their battle is with the owners, and these billionaire owners should be responsible for making up the shortfall if there is any, not the players. 

My point is: In times like these where people are losing their lives daily, families are going hungry because of lost jobs, and the world is more stressful than ever before, players should think before they speak. Not everyone is fortunate to play a kid’s game for $7M a year, let alone $3.5M, or gosh, maybe $2.5M. Don’t make it sound like walking out on the mound is a risky profession that is life and death. Being a baseball player is not anywhere close to being front line and a first responder. There’s lots of struggling people in this world right now- physically, emotionally, and financially. They don’t need to hear this entitled brat speak. 

It's risky as hundreds of people per team will be involved daily to make even one game work.  Add in travel and the added people you are in close contact to from that.  Question, do you know somehow that Snell ISN'T someone who may have complications if he got sick from covid?  For all we know, he has an underlying condition and doesn't think it's safe.  Or someone in his family does and he doesn't want to chance them catching this and potentially dying?  Is the life of your wife worth just $2.5M?   I mean, we literally know nothing beyond him saying he doesn't think the money is worth the risk.  As just a worker, he has that option.  He should be able to afford to live comfortably until the Covid situation is figured out.  Why is it such a problem that he doesn't want to play a game for you because he doesn't personally feel it's safe right now?  They literally just sat them down and showed them all of the precautions they would take.  He still said this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

You are shocked we would side AGAINST billionaires? Okie Dokie.  Not disputing his words lacked tact.

 

Maybe taking sides is wrong here, because they’re both wrong. As you said, I’m most pissed off by his tactless comments.In March, he suggested that the “‘Rona” was being hyped up in the media and it wasn’t really a big deal. Guess he now doesn’t think it’s a hoax?

He said he’s not going to play for nothing. Well, if the season doesn’t go, he’ll get $300K. But at least he won’t be risking life and death sitting in the bullpen 4 out of 5 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CooL said:

I’m quite frankly shocked at how much these boards always side with entitled multimillionaires. Same point of view was discussed when Le’Veon Bell was holding out. Yes, I agree their battle is with the owners, and these billionaire owners should be responsible for making up the shortfall if there is any, not the players. 

My point is: In times like these where people are losing their lives daily, families are going hungry because of lost jobs, and the world is more stressful than ever before, players should think before they speak. Not everyone is fortunate to play a kid’s game for $7M a year, let alone $3.5M, or gosh, maybe $2.5M. Don’t make it sound like walking out on the mound is a risky profession that is life and death. Being a baseball player is not anywhere close to being front line and a first responder. There’s lots of struggling people in this world right now- physically, emotionally, and financially. They don’t need to hear this entitled brat speak. 

The one reason to defend the billionaire (and there should be, we shouldn’t just blindly pick rooting against the person with more money, it should be about right and wrong) is that they bring in so much revenue because of the risk involved. Not everyone has billions and is willing to front load money into teams/players/stadiums what have you.

Well now is that risk.

I don’t want to see anyone losing money hand over fist. But if they lose a little money (relatively speaking) this season, they’ll make it back. That’s what they signed up for. That’s why they bring in hundreds of millions in other years.

Snell, like many players, was completely tone deaf with HOW he said things, no doubt. But they shouldn’t take ANOTHER cut on top of what was agreed upon. Both sides are negotiating in the media right now. I think it gets done, because it would be absolutely disastrous PR for the entire league if they squabble over and end up not playing over money during this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.