bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Just curious. Haven't read the 100 plus pages. Just seemed like a speculation thread? Nobody has close to any of the right answers. Politicians, medical experts. So why so much talk on it?

2 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Just curious. Haven't read the 100 plus pages. Just seemed like a speculation thread? Nobody has close to any of the right answers. Politicians, medical experts. So why so much talk on it?

Uh, maybe because this is a FORUM?

So much talk about a virus that's still doesn't have an vaccine 

On 5/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, IceGoat said:

no one is talking about the COVID-implications of densely packed and many times maskless mobs of rioters burning down cities across the country

Forbes: no one.

New York magazine: no one.

New York Post: no one.

Axios: no one.

USA Today: no one.

Chicago Sun Times: no one.

CNN: no one.

NBC News: no one.

Thousands of spicy "where's your social distancing now?" takes on Twitter since the night of the protests: no one.

I don't know where you get your information on current events from, but I've seen no shortage of discussion about the potential for the protesters to spread the virus.

With that said, we've learned a lot about the reduced potential for transmission via casual contact outdoors vs. lengthy periods in confined spaces like restaurants and retail stores in recent months, which, when combined with the declining case and fatality numbers, has caused many states to at least partially open their restaurants, stores, parks, and beaches, with little if any enforcement of social distancing.  I have my reservations about this, but if that's what the governors have decided, then it's pretty tough to make the argument that protesters should be more careful about spreading now when cases are on the decline than people hanging out at the beach were months ago when cases were rising sharply pretty much everywhere.

10 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Not unlike how certain state governors have been attacked for their decisions to allow businesses to open up but other governors do the same thing but you don't hear a word about it because of their political affiliation.

I'm not sure where you've been since your last factually-challenged contribution to this thread, but there's been plenty of criticism of Democratic governors in this thread, including those of NY, MI, and PA.  I still think the pace of reopening here in PA is being pushed too hard and is being based on flawed data, but I also recognize the dangers of outdoor dining and a day at the beach given enough distance are less than those of indoor dining or being crammed onto a beach with no rules whatsoever.  The more we learn about the conditions under which the virus spreads more quickly, the better we can refine our guidance to strike a balance between public health and the economy, which is what we should be striving for.  But that doesn't mean it's okay to ret-con in bad choices made without the benefit of what we've learned since the early weeks of the outbreak as equivalent to what's being done now nationwide in response to declining cases and a better understanding of the disease.

• Like 4

If they don’t find a vaccine soon this will impact every freaking country in the world 

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:47 AM, IceGoat said:

I may get a lot of heat for this.

I want folks to understand, like many, I was highly disturbed by the video of George Floyd’s death. Also, like many, I want to see justice for his death.

However, I cannot come to terms with the fact that no one is talking about the COVID-implications of densely packed and many times maskless mobs of rioters burning down cities across the country. All the while, innocent beach goers have been shamed while the media has been largely reticent about the biggest super spreading event to occur since these lockdowns began. What kind of hypocrisy is this?

par for the course. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, urban2014 said:

If they don’t find a vaccine soon this will impact every freaking country in the world 

umm it already is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, urban2014 said:

It will help.

But you cant force people to get it.

And vaccine success rates aren't 100%

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Forbes: no one.

New York magazine: no one.

New York Post: no one.

Axios: no one.

USA Today: no one.

Chicago Sun Times: no one.

CNN: no one.

NBC News: no one.

Thousands of spicy "where's your social distancing now?" takes on Twitter since the night of the protests: no one.

I don't know where you get your information on current events from, but I've seen no shortage of discussion about the potential for the protesters to spread the virus.

With that said, we've learned a lot about the reduced potential for transmission via casual contact outdoors vs. lengthy periods in confined spaces like restaurants and retail stores in recent months, which, when combined with the declining case and fatality numbers, has caused many states to at least partially open their restaurants, stores, parks, and beaches, with little if any enforcement of social distancing.  I have my reservations about this, but if that's what the governors have decided, then it's pretty tough to make the argument that protesters should be more careful about spreading now when cases are on the decline than people hanging out at the beach were months ago when cases were rising sharply pretty much everywhere.

I'm not sure where you've been since your last factually-challenged contribution to this thread, but there's been plenty of criticism of Democratic governors in this thread, including those of NY, MI, and PA.  I still think the pace of reopening here in PA is being pushed too hard and is being based on flawed data, but I also recognize the dangers of outdoor dining and a day at the beach given enough distance are less than those of indoor dining or being crammed onto a beach with no rules whatsoever.  The more we learn about the conditions under which the virus spreads more quickly, the better we can refine our guidance to strike a balance between public health and the economy, which is what we should be striving for.  But that doesn't mean it's okay to ret-con in bad choices made without the benefit of what we've learned since the early weeks of the outbreak as equivalent to what's being done now nationwide in response to declining cases and a better understanding of the disease.

It's being covered differently. The finger pointing directed at the Lake of the Ozarks pool attendees and other Memorial Day Weekend revelers is not occurring here. It's what I've observed on social media. The sanctimonious lockdown-at-all-costs crowd has gone on to assert that destruction of another's property is a viable (if not the only) form of protest in an unjust world.

Edited by IceGoat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

umm it already 

No way man...You can by that my yourself 

9 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

It's being covered differently. The finger pointing directed at the Lake of the Ozarks pool attendees and other Memorial Day Weekend revelers is not occurring here. It's what I've observed on social media. The sanctimonious lockdown-at-all-costs crowd has gone on to assert that destruction of another's property is a viable (if not the only) form of protest in an unjust world.

Putting the mod had on for just a second, this conversation absolutely needs to stay focused on COVID, and not on your views about the protests and those participating in them.  I let your post stand because it mostly stayed away from the latter, but you're inching closer to a conversation that we can't have here.

As for the moving of the goal posts from "no one is talking about" to "no one in my social media feeds is talking about it in the way I think is fair", well, I can't really speak to that, as social media feeds are generally a fun house mirror view of the world we live in.  Suffice it to say that the potential for protesters to spread COVID is being talked about a lot, and it's certainly a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

How do you think these riots will impact the reopening timelines? 

I don't think they'll have any impact.

4 hours ago, urban2014 said:

No sure what you are trying to say

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

How do you think these riots will impact the reopening timelines? 

speed them up. just two more weeks, bro. for real this time

h60EmYk.png

20 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

speed them up. just two more weeks, bro. for real this time

[picture from may 6]

care to elaborate on your response a little, because i'm not following the logic.. and your picture from a month ago had nothing to do with the question.

Just now, osb_tensor said:

care to elaborate on your response a little, because i'm not following the logic.. and your picture from a month ago had nothing to do with the question.

two more weeks is a meme about how long this BS is supposed to last

the curve is flattened, hospitals have more than necessary capacity, daily case numbers continue to drop, etc etc

I saw this article yesterday that looks encouraging. Basically, the disease could be hitting our circulatory systems hard, which would explain a lot of the mystery symptoms and may help us better identify at-risk populations and maybe even effective treatments.

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

17 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Is there a translator in the house?

• Haha 2

Nats change their minds and have decided to pay their minor leaguers the full $400 a week stipend as opposed to $300. 

6 hours ago, lolcopter said:

two more weeks is a meme about how long this BS is supposed to last

the curve is flattened, hospitals have more than necessary capacity, daily case numbers continue to drop, etc etc

For all the complaints of "shifting the goal posts" I don't remember the last time i've seen goal posts shifted as much as to what constitutes a reason for reopening. Every time their reason for reopening has been satisfied they present an even harder to achieve reason for opening. 

17 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

For all the complaints of "shifting the goal posts" I don't remember the last time i've seen goal posts shifted as much as to what constitutes a reason for reopening. Every time their reason for reopening has been satisfied they present an even harder to achieve reason for opening. 

I have no idea what the complaint is here.  Every state is reopening in some form, but a state can't compel people to show up at your restaurant or hair salon if they don't think it's safe.  The primary obstacle to returning to anything resembling normal economic conditions is not state power, but the individual choice of people to take it slow.  Business owners aren't going to hire back 100% of their staff unless they have 100% of their business, and we're nowhere near that yet, even in areas where there are few restrictions.  What else do you want?

7 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I have no idea what the complaint is here.  Every state is reopening in some form, but a state can't compel people to show up at your restaurant or hair salon if they don't think it's safe.  The primary obstacle to returning to anything resembling normal economic conditions is not state power, but the individual choice of people to take it slow.  Business owners aren't going to hire back 100% of their staff unless they have 100% of their business, and we're nowhere near that yet, even in areas where there are few restrictions.  What else do you want?

So the logic here is that people may or may not go to restaurants so let's just keep the restaurants closed so no people go?

Sound logic that is...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

So the logic here is that people may or may not go to restaurants so let's just keep the restaurants closed so no people go?

No, the logic is that until people show up, it doesn't matter what restrictions states do or don't put into place.  You can't blame the states when they are in fact easing restrictions but people still aren't showing up.

• Like 2