bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

13 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

No, the logic is that until people show up, it doesn't matter what restrictions states do or don't put into place.  You can't blame the states when they are in fact easing restrictions but people still aren't showing up.

This is not true as a blanket statement. Philadelphia and the surrounding area, for example, is still in the “red” phase of the PA reopening plan and has eased little to no restrictions. This despite the area seeing all the trends that @lolcopter mentioned. The plan was to move to yellow this Friday, but even then outdoor dining will not be permitted at restaurants (link below). There was plenty of pent up demand that would help restaurants get back on their feet, but the governor and mayor continuing to drag their feet is ridiculous. How they could not have come up with a plan for outdoor dining during the 3 months the city was locked down is beyond me. Regardless, all bets are off now anyway with the protests going on. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/05/28/reopening-philadelphia-mayor-kenney-says-no-restaurant-should-be-announcing-plans-to-launch-outdoor-dining-on-june-5/amp/

• Like 2

You've identified the exception that proves the rule.  Philly was the hardest hit region in the state, and among the worst in the nation.  As of the time Wolf issued his guidance, none of the 5 counties in the region was under the original metric of 50 new cases per 100k in population required to qualify for yellow status.  Nonetheless, the governor decided to ignore his own rules and make the change anyway.  In light of that, and of the thousands in the streets protesting, I feel like a little more caution is in order, and that delaying the start of outdoor dining in one city isn't a great tragedy.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

You've identified the exception that proves the rule.  Philly was the hardest hit region in the state, and among the worst in the nation.  As of the time Wolf issued his guidance, none of the 5 counties in the region was under the original metric of 50 new cases per 100k in population required to qualify for yellow status.  Nonetheless, the governor decided to ignore his own rules and make the change anyway.  In light of that, and of the thousands in the streets protesting, I feel like a little more caution is in order, and that delaying the start of outdoor dining in one city isn't a great tragedy.

Sorry, but I still think you’re way off base here. Regarding the Philadelphia region:

-We have data points from other parts of the country on successful reopening’s without a spike in cases, or more importantly hospitalizations

-The curve has been flattened

-Hospitalization capacity is in abundance

-The number of daily cases continues to drop despite increased testing

-The vast majority of people getting seriously ill are the elderly and/or immune compromised. These people need to avoid partaking in reopening activities. The “at risk population“ has been identified

What else do you need? 

To base reopening decisions on one single metric that was set as a benchmark months ago when we had significantly less information on COVID is nonsensical. Wolf and health secretary Levine have admitted as such themselves when pressed by the media on why they allowed other counties to move to the yellow phase despite not reaching the 50 cases per 100k threshold. 

The article I posted regarding Philly not allowing outdoor dining was from before there were any riots/protests. It may not be a “great tragedy” to you that these places are not allowed to reopen - but to the small business owners and their furloughed, low wage employees it is a big deal. It’s also discouraging to the young, healthy, low risk population that wants to get back to some semblance of living their lives. 

I don’t really believe in these political theories regarding reopening - but to not have a plan for outdoor dining, and thus delaying an already drawn out process further, when you’ve known this day was coming for the last 2 and a half months is mind blowing. It’s a strong example from an overall process that has been moving too slowly in the region. 

Like you and I both stated though, this situation is now even more complicated on several levels due to the violent protests and destruction in the city. 

Edited by TrueToTheBlue
  • Like 3

It really is amazing the complete 180 that the media and even some health officials are trying to pull off in regards to the virus. Now many are claiming that if there is a spike in cases due to the protests, everyone should just look the other way because the cause is just. As if the people that had to permanently close their businesses/lost their jobs didn't have a good enough reason. I guess being consistent is just too much to ask for some of these people. It's like some of them just expect everyone to forget how the last 3 months played out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

It really is amazing the complete 180 that the media and even some health officials are trying to pull off in regards to the virus. Now many are claiming that if there is a spike in cases due to the protests, everyone should just look the other way because the cause is just. As if the people that had to permanently close their businesses/lost their jobs didn't have a good enough reason. I guess being consistent is just too much to ask for some of these people. It's like some of them just expect everyone to forget how the last 3 months played out. 

Did you just compare losing your job or business to losing your life? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Nope, sure didn't. Try protesting vs working. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

I think Tony unequivocally proved in this thread a page or two ago that there are many reputable news sources that have written pieces concerned with the spread of the virus in the Floyd George related protests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

To some, loosing your business is loosing your life. Especially when those businesses are decades in the making (and yes, i recognize the difference between the stoppage of a heart and the stoppage of money flow)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think Tony unequivocally proved in this thread a page or two ago that there are many reputable news sources that have written pieces concerned with the spread of the virus in the Floyd George related protests.

Agreed. I should've been more specific. *Some* media and health officials. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Agreed. I should've been more specific. *Some* media and health officials. 

It's kind of in the nature of free speech and press that some people will disagree.  After all some in the media thought the reopening protests were righteous.

I wouldn't do either, but as long as they were peaceful and conscientious about spreading the virus to others, I respect the right of both.

Update on hospitalizations here in NY:

• Like 2

It’s funny how nobody remotely famous died for this virus. One celebrity death and the search for the cure will be all day every day

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's kind of in the nature of free speech and press that some people will disagree.  After all some in the media thought the reopening protests were righteous.

I wouldn't do either, but as long as they were peaceful and conscientious about spreading the virus to others, I respect the right of both.

Absolutely. No issue with that at all. I was talking mainly about the people, for example, that had spoken out against one, but encourage the other. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

It’s funny how nobody remotely famous died for this virus. One celebrity death and the search for the cure will be all day every day

When Tom Hanks got it was when the 💩really hit the fan. The good news is the man has been shot in 'Nam, had unprotected sex with a woman with AIDS, been stranded on an island alone for years, and survived being kidnapped by Somali pirates. COVID? Pffff

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Absolutely. No issue with that at all. I was talking mainly about the people, for example, that had spoken out against one, but encourage the other. 

Water is wet, the sky is blue, people have intellectually inconsistent opinions based on emotionally biased responses.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

When Tom Hanks got it was when the 💩really hit the fan. The good news is the man has been shot in 'Nam, had unprotected sex with a woman with AIDS, been stranded on an island alone for years, and survived being kidnapped by Somali pirates. COVID? Pffff

Died

14 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Water is wet, the sky is blue, people have intellectually inconsistent opinions based on emotionally biased responses.

Which is a big issue for public health officials in particular. 

9 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Which is a big issue for public health officials in particular. 

I would say I'm more inclined to believe public health officials when it comes to matters of science and business owners when it comes to matters of business, but regardless it's good to look for a wide variance of opinions based on empirical data as opposed to too much editorializing with a lot of emotional rhetoric.

5 hours ago, urban2014 said:

A boy band pop singer who had a top 50 song today died at age 34 of covid. 

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Regardless of who you blame, you still might have a fever and a respiratory infection that might kill you.

I mean whatever your reasons are for that, I don't know your life, if it's worth it, so be it.  But be aware.

6 hours ago, daynlokki said:

A boy band pop singer who had a top 50 song today died at age 34 of covid. 

Eh, ok...

12 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Depends on what you consider a celebrity. John Prine, Joe Diffie, Tom Dempsey and Pat Dye are about the only ones I could speak to.

But it's not terribly surprising. What is the population of "at risk" celebrities ? A few thousand ? That's not that many.

Never heard of them man

26 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Depends on what you consider a celebrity. John Prine, Joe Diffie, Tom Dempsey and Pat Dye are about the only ones I could speak to.

But it's not terribly surprising. What is the population of "at risk" celebrities ? A few thousand ? That's not that many.

And all of these guys were 60+, 3 of them 70+. 

Adam Schlesinger, lead singer of Fountains of Wayne, died at 52 of Covid in April.

Probably not what most people would consider "a celebrity" but I dug their music.