bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Not recommended. Maybe you will be safe but you don't know about the people around you.

Anyone that nervous about catching it shouldn't be out is my point, example, anyone in the gym right now knows the risk, they simply dont care

unless your calling for everyone to stay inside and go to work and home and nothing else for the next month or however long this ends up being

Edited by kmoore1521

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You get infected and there is a week to two week incubation period where you could show no signs at all but still be contagious to others.  In that time frame you could give the virus to 10's if not 100's of other human beings.  That is HOW epidemics work you know.  People other than relatives or health care workers usually don't catch it AFTER you show signs and are isolated. They catch it BEFORE thus the huge spread of the disease.

I don't think there is a waiver you can sign with the universe for the bad bad karma you create infected innumerable people.

Yeah this is the frightening aspect here. It was hard to explain to my 4 yr old daughter why I couldn't give her a kiss on the mouth. My wife and I are just using an abundance of caution. We are not going to one of her classmates big bday party this weekend, I just think it is the right thing to do.  

• Like 1

So Opening Day is pushed back two weeks min.

This does make the injured studs a bit more palatable to draft earlier...like Yordan and Verlander...

Also...stay safe everyone ...be cautious and hopefully these measures will all be worth it in the end...I believe they will...

40 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, we kinda do: https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

image.png.bbade4688a31d15c4ec586e9e8d0d6ca.png

It's a higher fatality rate than the flu, it's more contagious, and we're just at the beginning of its spread.  Various factors (social distancing, weather changes, future development of a vaccine) could change this, but right now, we absolutely can measure these things, and it's irresponsible to say we can't.

Flawed.  Theremay be 100s of thousands infected t hat dont know.  Which screws up the numbers

• Like 1

People are pissed about missing games and rightfully so. However what I think that no one realizes that these steps are not taken and people get sick, you all know law suits will fly out the wazoo.

If the delay somehow winds up being only two weeks I think a 162 game season is possible. Probably just wishful thinking on my part since this whole situation has me so bummed.

16 hours ago, B&F said:

This is being blown out of proportion.

So the elderly are at more risk of dying because of this virus so we should stop society? 

Nonsense.  Elderly should stay inside until this passes.

I am doing a complete 180 on this opinion after listening to the radio this morning.  

If Coronavirus spreads there will be serious consequences.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Afternoon update:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Major League Baseball will delay Opening Day for "at least two weeks."

And spring training games in Florida and Arizona will be officially suspended as of 4 p.m. ET on Thursday, though Jon Heyman of MLB Network hears that players are being told to "hold tight" and remain in camp for regular workouts. Major League Baseball will continue to monitor the spreading coronavirus pandemic and reassess the situation as time goes on. It's very possible the delay extends well beyond two weeks. World Baseball Classic qualifying games have also been postponed indefinitely.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter                Mar 12, 2020, 3:09 PM ET

"Regular workouts," just what players love ... not.  Bottom line no one knows how long the suspension will last.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

I am doing a complete 180 on this opinion after listening to the radio this morning.  

again i cant agree with this...yet. no one under the age of 70 is dying.  children are not dying like with the flu.  we DONT know the kill rate. tom hanks has it.  he said he thought he had a head cold...and hes about 65 years old.

lets say 10 ppl go to the hospital and test positive for it. and 1 dies.  Tony would, incorrectly, have you believe the kill rate is 10%.  when in reality there were 90 other people who had it and had little to no symptoms.  so its really 1/100 die (1%) instead of 10%.

look at the cruise that was quarantined.  the kill rate was 0.8%.  and the people who died were all over 70.

everyone is scared because of lack of information....not because its super deadly...

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

again i cant agree with this...yet. no one under the age of 70 is dying.  children are not dying like with the flu.  we DONT know the kill rate. tom hanks has it.  he said he thought he had a head cold...and hes about 65 years old.

lets say 10 ppl go to the hospital and test positive for it. and 1 dies.  Tony would, incorrectly, have you believe the kill rate is 10%.  when in reality there were 90 other people who had it and had little to no symptoms.  so its really 1/100 die (1%) instead of 10%.

look at the cruise that was quarantined.  the kill rate was 0.8%.  and the people who died were all over 70.

everyone is scared because of lack of information....not because its super deadly...

I suggest reading up a little more on this. There are absolutely people under 70 that have died from the virus. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Like 4

In light of this news, I will be counting on @Cmilne23 to keep us up to date on all Mariners happenings.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RogerKlotz said:

I suggest reading up a little more on this. There are absolutely people under 70 that have died from the virus. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

this is globally.  0% under age 9.  and ur looking at .2% kill rates for people under 40.  same as the flu.  and AGAIN.  those numbers may not be accurate.  it might not be 2/1000 but 2/10000

this isnt complicated

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

this is globally.  0% under age 9.  and ur looking at .2% kill rates for people under 40.  same as the flu.  and AGAIN.  those numbers may not be accurate.  it might not be 2/1000 but 2/10000

this isnt complicated

Ok, but to suggest that no one under 70 is dying is flat out wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RogerKlotz said:

Ok, but to suggest that no one under 70 is dying is flat out wrong. 

my apologies.no one under 70 is dying at any rate higher than the flu.  and its quite possible its substantially less if more people have it than we think

and many of the deaths are in 3rd world areas with inferior healthcare at the US....parts of china, iran....

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

And there it is.

The precautions being taken are due to the unknown to some degree. Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where everyone has to react to this and prevent the spread. I think everyone would rather look back and realize it was an overreaction, vs. look back and say we could/should have done more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, B&F said:

If it spreads? It’s already spreading. This might come off as just sounding like a crazy alarmist, but in 4 or 5 weeks New York City is going to be like Wuhan. The measures they’re taking now are not nearly enough. Banning gatherings over 500 people? So 450 people in a confined area with a highly contagious virus going around is going to be fine?

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

And there it is.

The precautions being taken are due to the unknown to some degree. Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where everyone has to react to this and prevent the spread. I think everyone would rather look back and realize it was an overreaction, vs. look back and say we could/should have done more.

its not that timmy cant read, its that timmy cant think.  he doesnt know how to think.  he confuses it with feeling

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I guess at this point, I am going to do 20 mock drafts a day.

On that note, is there a good site for mock drafts that grade your team when it's done? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

If it spreads? It’s already spreading. This might come off as just sounding like a crazy alarmist, but in 4 or 5 weeks New York City is going to be like Wuhan. The measures they’re taking now are not nearly enough. Banning gatherings over 500 people? So 450 people in a confined area with a highly contagious virus going around is going to be fine?

what precautions does NY usually take for the flu?

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

It's not "really" anything when you just make up a number for the ratio of people who are asymptomatic carriers.  I can make up numbers, too. 

But fortunately, we don't have to rely on your made-up numbers or my made-up numbers, because we have a natural experiment in the form of the Diamond Princess cruise, where a bunch of people were exposed, and everyone was tested.  Here's the study, which estimates a 17.9% rate of asymptomatic carriers, nowhere near your fabricated 90% figure.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

Name Date World pop. Subtype Reproduction rate[194] Infected (est.) Deaths worldwide Case fatality rate Pandemic severity
1889–90 flu pandemic[195] 1889–90 1.53 billion Likely H3N8 or H2N2 2.10 (IQR, 1.9–2.4)[195] 20–60%[195] (300–900 million) 1 million 0.10–0.28%[195] 2
1918 flu[196] 1918–20 1.80 billion H1N1 1.80 (IQR, 1.47–2.27) 33% (500 million)[197] 20[198][199]–100[200][201] million 2–3%[198] 5
Asian flu 1957–58 2.90 billion H2N2 1.65 (IQR, 1.53–1.70) 8–33% (0.25 – 1 billion) 1–4 million[198] <0.2%[198] 2
Hong Kong flu 1968–69 3.53 billion H3N2 1.80 (IQR, 1.56–1.85) 7–28% (0.25 – 1 billion) 1–4 million[198] <0.2%[198] 2
Russian flu 1977–78 4.28 billion H1N1 Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown
2009 flu pandemic[202][203] 2009–10 6.85 billion H1N1/09 1.46 (IQR, 1.30–1.70) 11-21% (0.7–1.4 billion)[204] 151,700–575,400[205] 0.03%[206] 1
Typical seasonal flu[t 1] Every year 7.75 billion A/H3N2, A/H1N1, B, ... 1.28 (IQR, 1.19–1.37) 5–15% (340 million – 1 billion)[207]
3–11% or 5–20%[208][209] (240 million–1.6 billion)
290,000–650,000/year[210] <0.1%[211] 1
2019–20 seasonal flu[212][213][t 2] 2019–20 7.75 billion A(H1N1)pdm09, B/Victoria, A(H3N2) Unknown 11%[t 2] (800 million; USA, 34-49 million[t 2]) 0.45-1.2 million (USA: 20–52,000[t 2]) <0.015%[t 2] 1

50 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Anyone that nervous about catching it shouldn't be out is my point, example, anyone in the gym right now knows the risk, they simply dont care

unless your calling for everyone to stay inside and go to work and home and nothing else for the next month or however long this ends up being

That's very selfish to be quite honest. You can get exposed, not show symptoms, then go to the grocery store and infect people there. You can be super careful but you still need to go to the grocery store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Time to start betting heavily on golf and Nascar.

Unless those get postponed too... damn you cheap mexican beer flu.

Replays of the 1988 winter Olympics women's curling medal rounds are on tap.

Just now, Sidearmer said:

That's very selfish to be quite honest. You can get exposed, not show symptoms, then go to the grocery store and infect people there. You can be super careful but you still need to go to the grocery store.

The groceries stores are swamped where I am at. I bought enough food for a month knowing we all likely will be quarantined for 2-4 weeks, if not more.

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

It's not "really" anything when you just make up a number for the ratio of people who are asymptomatic carriers.  I can make up numbers, too. 

But fortunately, we don't have to rely on your made-up numbers or my made-up numbers, because we have a natural experiment in the form of the Diamond Princess cruise, where a bunch of people were exposed, and everyone was tested.  Here's the study, which estimates a 17.9% rate of asymptomatic carriers, nowhere near your fabricated 90% figure.

your numbers are also made up...when we dont know how many people have it.  my contention is we dont know....yours is "i know"

thats the difference

• Like 1