bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

All I’m saying is a “fact checker” title doesn’t make someone the trump card and the content should be checked by the reader.

As for your post I’d say the majority of people believe what they want to hear. It’s a big reason why there’s so much issues. It’s easier to pretend the other side doesn’t exist and bathe in your own ignorance than to listen and try to find a compromise. 

Facts are facts.  What does compromise have to do with the sun being a star?  If someone says it is a penguin instead of a star should we then "compromise" between the two positions?  Or, to get this more on topic, should we compromise between the fact that covid-19 is a virus and the crazed opinion that covid-19 is totally a hoax and doesn't exist?  Sorry but rational thought and the Age of Enlightenment seem to be over if we start "compromising" between verifiable facts and lunatic conspiracy theories.  And this new world of any old opinion from some crazy web site should be viewed with equal weight to a fact is not a world I want to live in.  It is totally Alice through the looking glass.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Facts are facts.  What does compromise have to do with the sun being a star?  If someone says it is a penguin instead of a star should we then "compromise" between the two positions?  Or, to get this more on topic, should we compromise between the fact that covid-19 is a virus and the crazed opinion that covid-19 is totally a hoax and doesn't exist?  Sorry but rational thought and the Age of Enlightenment seem to be over if we start "compromising" between verifiable facts and lunatic conspiracy theories.  And this new world of any old opinion from some crazy web site should be viewed with equal weight to a fact is not a world I want to live in.  It is totally Alice through the looking glass.

You are getting “facts” and “fact checking” confused. My entire point is because something is “fact checked” doesn’t mean it is 100% a “fact.” Fact checkers do not have the “end of story” say on matters. 

[ Let's drop the "fact checker" derail. ]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sure, I'd agree with that.

To take this more back on topic, earlier in this thread I questioned a poster on the "Worldometers" site and how the numbers were sourced.  I said that I trusted the Georgia Department of Public Health site's numbers more, because they were a reputable organization and their numbers were generated by local public health officials.  I was also biased because, living in Georgia, the GDOPH numbers were more positive, and it was nice to see that more people around me weren't getting sick.

Lo and behold, it was revealed that some of these numbers were erroneously recorded.  I was wrong.

I don't think any of us are immune to this sort of thing.  The best we can do is try to challenge our own biases, and accept that we will fail sometimes.

Happens to the best of us. 

Posted (edited)

Cali, Texas, Florida, Arizona are all starting to see the rise in cases per day.

Edited by Slatykamora

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Cali, Texas, Florida, Arizona are all starting to see the rise in cases per day.

Arizona is discussing a second lockdown. Glad the MLB didn’t head there. https://ktar.com/story/3255357/former-arizona-health-director-state-could-need-new-stay-at-home-order/

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/adhs-director-tells-hospitals-to-activate-emergency-plan

Edited by daynlokki