bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

The corona virus is in the best shape of its life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

The hysteria over this is ridiculous. 

Every year its the end of the world... Y2K, mad cow, swine flu, bird flu, sars, mers, end of Mayan calendar, last year's mosquitos... Or this January when the media hyped up WW3...

The flu kills 291,000 - 646,000 people worldwide every single year. 3,000 have died from Coronavirus so far. We'll be fine.

Coronavirus is not a real threat. The media hysterics and driving people to a panic is the damage being done. 

This should not impact MLB games... Unless the league caves to hysterics.

What should we do? I'd start by refinancing your house at these rates. If you have money to invest time to buy stocks that tumbled without any reason other than hurd mentality.

As for fantasy baseball... Zero impact and I'm not making a single adjustment to any player values or my strategy because of it.

Is there too much hysteria?  Yes, it sure seems to be.  Is this likely to end up looking like something minor and an overreaction when all is said and done? Most likely and I sure hope so.  Too say that “It is not a real threat” is beyond ludicrous.  This has the potential to wreak havoc on the economy globally and potentially kill who knows how many numbers from 0.8 to 2 pct and much higher have been thrown around. That’s a hell of a lot of people potentially, will cost a hell of a lot to handle that, and it could cost a hell of a lot to contain. Potential catastrophes seem like nothing until they aren’t.  Is it possible we are barely affected?  Sure.  Do I think it’s time to grab your guns and run for the hills. No. What you say in a later post i agree with in taking proper precautions.  That’s about all that is in the average person’s hands. Neither you nor I have enough knowledge to know at this point.  And that’s just it, you have act with a sense of urgency in advance because you don’t know until it’s too late.  There’s a hell of a lot of people working hard right now to help prevent this and it’s pretty ignorant and insulting to say that this Coronavirus is not a real threat IMO.  

I agree with you as well in that I am not going to adjust my rankings in any way. Just out of curiosity, how would you do that anyway?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Wilford Brimley said:

Is there too much hysteria?  Yes, it sure seems to be.  Is this likely to end up looking like something minor and an overreaction when all is said and done? Most likely and I sure hope so.  Too say that “It is not a real threat” is beyond ludicrous.  This has the potential to wreak havoc on the economy globally and potentially kill who knows how many numbers from 0.8 to 2 pct and much higher have been thrown around. That’s a hell of a lot of people potentially, will cost a hell of a lot to handle that, and it could cost a hell of a lot to contain. Potential catastrophes seem like nothing until they aren’t.  Is it possible we are barely affected?  Sure.  Do I think it’s time to grab your guns and run for the hills. No. What you say in a later post i agree with in taking proper precautions.  That’s about all that is in the average person’s hands. Neither you nor I have enough knowledge to know at this point.  And that’s just it, you have act with a sense of urgency in advance because you don’t know until it’s too late.  There’s a hell of a lot of people working hard right now to help prevent this and it’s pretty ignorant and insulting to say that this Coronavirus is not a real threat IMO.  

I agree with you as well in that I am not going to adjust my rankings in any way. Just out of curiosity, how would you do that anyway?  

Turn off main stream media. The over reaction by the general public is not good.

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

The endless "there's always a new hysteria but nothing ever happens" hot takes are easy to make from the comfort of home. The reality is that billions upon billions of dollars of resources are poured into efforts to mitigate these disasters before they happen. The people that ask "why all the effort and worry for something that didn't do much" should be asking themselves if all the effort and worry was the reason nothing much happened. The thing about infectious diseases is that they spread at an exponential rate. If you wait until it becomes a big deal to act, then it becomes a REALLY big deal.  Yeah, the flu kills hundreds of thousands a year, but do we really want to stack that with a similarly scaled COVID breakout? We'd be looking at 2.5-5 million deaths in that case. And remember, the death tallies of the flu are suppressed by the fact that there are yearly efforts to get flu vaccines to the most vulnerable demographics. There is no COVID vaccine and we have no idea for sure if the summer heat will stop it.

I work in health care and when the hysteria is negatively effecting patient care I’ll point that out the hysteria from wherever I feel like it (including from the comfort of my own home).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Turn off main stream media. The over reaction by the general public is not good.

Trust me, I’m not basing my thoughts on mainstream media information.   I’m not sure where I ever said that over reaction by the general public was good.  If so, please point it out.  My point was that saying this is not a real threat is incorrect.  It has the potential to be and should be handled as such until proven otherwise. 

Edited by Wilford Brimley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wilford Brimley said:

I'm moved Coronavirus one tier above Zika

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I'm moved Coronavirus one tier above Zika

Where do you have IBS?

8 minutes ago, billofwa said:

Where do you have IBS?

Ironically, in the same tier as stomach flu (norovirus). Noro is much more brutal but IBS tends to be a live long issue.

3 hours ago, StevieStats said:

It's hysteria when the 10 Year UST shatters the previous historic low of 1.32 and drops under 1 like it did today before closing at 1.02.

Mass panic tanked Dow 12% in a week, flipped the yield curve inverted, shattered the 10 Yr Treasury historic low and triggered the Fed to make an emergency cut of 50 BP outside of the scheduled FOMC meeting.

That is hysteria. 

You are correct -- take precaution, practice good hygiene, and take extra sanitary measures. Reasonable measures especially for those with underlying respiratory or health issues.

Couple that with The Fed having 5 trillion plus on their balance sheet from quantitative easing and repo.  Markets were due for big correction before the virus.  We still haven't seen the effect of hyper inflation.  Sell your stock buy precious metals and crypto currency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilford Brimley said:

Trust me, I’m not basing my thoughts on mainstream media information.   I’m not sure where I ever said that over reaction by the general public was good.  If so, please point it out.  My point was that saying this is not a real threat is incorrect.  It has the potential to be and should be handled as such until proven otherwise. 

Okay so we are on the same page that the panic from the general public is not good. 

Corona is strong in Seattle.  Maybe there’s hope after all it will cancel the Mariners season.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Corona is strong in Seattle.  Maybe there’s hope after all it will cancel the Mariners season.  

Chicago State men’s & women’s basketball team has cancelled upcoming tournament games.

The university said the men's team would not travel to Seattle University or Utah Valley University for Western Athletic Conference games on Thursday and Saturday. The school also said the women's team would not host Seattle or Utah Valley at the campus' Jones Convocation Center on the same days.

Panic is spreading . 

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2020 at 2:01 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

I think it will have nearly zero effect on any players (Maybe one or two players miss a few games), but it’s had an absolutely devastating effect on all my shares of Visa and AMD :(

I'm in the same boat buddy. My stock shares have taken a massive beating 😭. Hope this Virus thing blows over quickly like the countless others in the past that just so happen to blow up during election years. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

If this virus acts like it has in other countries it is set to go exponential within the first few weeks of the season. 

The sooner this virus is officially declared by WHO to be a pandemic, the better it will be for our everyday lives. It will end large quarantines and isolation. Staying clean and social distancing will become the norm. The longer we are in non-pandemic limbo, the more inconvenient it will be for everyone since we'll still be trying to stop a global outbreak (let's not kid ourselves we're there). People can take this lightly all they want, but there are a lot of fat Americans with bad lymph systems and other major pulmonary and heart issues, and lots of them sitting in stands for games. It might be best for people with elevated risk to keep themselves away from the most crowded places like mass transit, theaters, and stadiums for a while. But to each their own. I'd rather take it too seriously and be mocked, than not seriously enough and suffer meaningful medical consequences.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rando said:

The sooner this virus is officially declared by WHO to be a pandemic, the better it will be for our everyday lives. It will end large quarantines and isolation. Staying clean and social distancing will become the norm. The longer we are in non-pandemic limbo, the more inconvenient it will be for everyone since we'll still be trying to stop a global outbreak (let's not kid ourselves we're there). People can take this lightly all they want, but there are a lot of fat Americans with bad lymph systems and other major pulmonary and heart issues, and lots of them sitting in stands for games. It might be best for people with elevated risk to keep themselves away from the most crowded places like mass transit, theaters, and stadiums for a while. But to each their own. I'd rather take it too seriously and be mocked, than not seriously enough and suffer meaningful medical consequences.

There a negative medical consequences for others when people panic and/or deplete supplies better allocated elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, rando said:

don't forget "without insurance"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

don't forget "without insurance"

Who is without insurance? We had a mandate put in that forced everyone to purchase insurance.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Who is without insurance? We had a mandate put in that forced everyone to purchase insurance.

purchase insurance or pay a penalty. And that was ruled invalid so there is currently no consequence to not having insurance. Other than not having insurance, obviously

On 3/3/2020 at 9:04 PM, FouLLine said:

Sell your stock buy precious metals and crypto currency.

Sell low? Nah

On 3/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, StevieStats said:

The hysteria over this is ridiculous. 

The flu kills 291,000 - 646,000 people worldwide every single year. 3,000 have died from Coronavirus so far.

But what are COVID’s 162 game splits?

On 3/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, rabaak said:

I get kinda of ticked off when people lump Y2K with Hysteria that did not pan out.  There was no crisis because a lot of people worked really hard and got the job done (for years).

I appreciate that and commend their hard work. But there are lots of people working very hard In all areas of the workforce and have been for years and years constantly preventing crises. Point is it became hysterical and overblown. Why weren’t the media sources pumping out stories about all those hard working folks you speak of who had the potential crisis under control? Or why weren't they reporting that there is nothing to worry about? The machine churns on. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I appreciate that and commend their hard work. But there are lots of people working very hard In all areas of the workforce and have been for years and years constantly preventing crises. Point is it became hysterical and overblown. Why weren’t the media sources pumping out stories about all those hard working folks you speak of who had the potential crisis under control? Or why weren't they reporting that there is nothing to worry about? The machine churns on. 

I don't think your interpretation is correct. So I think it needs a response

There was much to worry about. And I don't think it was overblown.

We didn't know if we had the problem completely under control. So the public needed to be warned. 

There were articles stating work was being done prior to Dec 31,1999. Some of those gave examples of areas that might be impacted like GPS equipment, financial software, transportation systems etc., which scared some people. 

There were problems that showed up on Jan 1, 2000. Things like a customer getting billed 91,000 dollars for returning a movie late to a video rental store.

Commercial nuclear reactors had glitches with mission critical monitoring systems.

Some Banks had customers whose ATM cards would not work as machines thought the cards had expired.

US Spy satellites transmitted unreadable data for 3 days (what if we would have had a terrorist attack in those 3 days).

The list of minor impacts like this is available online and was quite irritating to those impacted.

Some of the fixes took weeks to get resolved and Y2K did impact groups of people.  

The thing that irks me is that revisionist history treats Y2K like it was a non-event and that having the general public on high alert was a waste of time.

Your prepare for the worst and hope for the best in circumstances like that.

For the most part Y2k was a successful implementation that the people who worked on should be proud of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rabaak said:

For the most part Y2k was a successful implementation that the people who worked on should be proud of.

Co-signed.

(Source: Worked as a software developer for a large financial institution between 1999 and 2005.)

• Like 1