bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Latest from MLB:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that players are being advised to leave their spring training camps after Major League Baseball and the Players Association reached an agreement.

The recommendation is for players to head home, although those that want to will be allowed to stay and use their teams' workout areas. They also have the option to go to their club's home city. MLB had set a hopeful date of April 9 for the beginning of the regular season, but that target surely isn't realistic now. Don't look for baseball to be played until at least May.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                             Mar 13, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RogerKlotz said:

I don't think it's being exaggerated how lethal it is. The fact is we don't know yet, and the media is reporting what they know from known cases. The panic and hysteria is coming, and rightfully so, from our systems being overloaded and the anxiety of not knowing how many cases or just how lethal it is.  

Not sure panic and hysteria are ever a good thing...

Here is some hope folks.  The spread of the virus can be stopped relatively quickly. 

Apparently it took South Korea about two weeks to just about bring COVID-19 to a halt.  We can do it too.

China took about a month.

Testing and isolation.  

https://thegroundtruthproject.org/timeline-how-south-korea-reacted-to-the-covid-19-outbreak/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, B&F said:

Here is some hope folks.  The spread of the virus can be stopped relatively quickly. 

Apparently it took South Korea about two weeks to just about bring COVID-19 to a halt.  We can do it too.

Testing and isolation.  

https://thegroundtruthproject.org/timeline-how-south-korea-reacted-to-the-covid-19-outbreak/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries

Chinese approach seems tough.  I don't know if I can see the US government quarantining Washington, California and New York...and of course the horse may already be out of the barn.

For those people who think we should all just carry on as normal and suck it up, because "most people who get it won't even feel sick or die"

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

You don’t know that

This is common knowledge.  People's immune systems are stronger in the warm for starters so it's typical that transmission in warmer times isn't usually as bad when compared to cold times.  Also as mentioned earlier on here UV light weakens and can destroy viruses when in high enough concentration.

So yes warmer weather will 100% be better than the current weather.  No one is saying the warmer weather will stop the virus from spreading. The Spanish Flu stalled out over the summer then came back with vengeance in the fall/winter.

So take it as a silver lining that we are at the end of cold weather entering warm weather.  The spread of the virus would have been much worse had we had the same exact number of cases and it was November.  

Edited by FouLLine
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B&F said:

Testing and isolation.  

Korea's approach was possible because of the amount of government surveillance the people are under. Not that we dont have our fair share here but they have a much more robust system. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-response-specialre/italy-and-south-korea-virus-outbreaks-reveal-disparity-in-deaths-and-tactics-idUSKBN20Z27P

Edited by 2ndCitySox
Added link

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Chinese approach seems tough.  I don't know if I can see the US government quarantining Washington, California and New York...and of course the horse may already be out of the barn.

New York City is headed for a major crisis if they don’t make some major changes. They’re going to run out of ICU beds and the whole healthcare system there is going to be overtaxed beyond belief.

Edited by meh2

Posted (edited)

As a parent of 1 and 4 year olds thank god for the aspect of kids seemingly having a resistance of sorts to this. Not 100% at ease but it’s something.

The ripple effects of this is impossible to wrap one’s mind around. You hear about hospitals in Italy being at 200% capacity. Now you close schools what about the kids of those who work in hospitals that are at an absolute premium? Insane...

I live in Long Island, NY and the district my wife teaches at is still open but I expect that to change soon. And with how things have been developing at such a rapid fire pace I’d be surprised if Manhattan wasn’t under quarantine before the end of the weekend.

Edited by Cheppy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B&F said:

It had flatlined from increasing growth rates, not stopped, some in the south where it started in South Korea but today there have been some "clusters" reported breaking out in the north in Seoul itself.  So no it doesn't go away that quickly.  But yes South Korea has managed this very well compared to the US.  In fact the US military commander in South Korea said the Koreans even came to their bases there and worked with them to get US soldiers and civilians that showed the least sign tested immediately and he expressed gratitude for that help.  The South Koreans have managed to test several hundred thousand people while only about 11K have been tested in all of the US as of yesterday. 

Meanwhile it looks like each team is deciding individually what to do with it's players.

MLB has officially suspended spring training camps immediately due to concerns over the coronavirus.

"After an in-person meeting with MLBPA officials in Arizona, Major League Baseball announced today that spring training camps will be suspended, effective immediately," a statement from the league reads. Players can either return home, remain in their respective cities, or return to their home team's city. We have already seen the Yankees decide to stay in Tampa to continue workouts and the Cardinals opt to close their camp entirely, while several other clubs are expected to make their respective decisions shortly. This comes a day after MLB officially postponed the start of the regular season at least two weeks from the original March 26 date while also suspending all remaining spring training games.

Source: Do-Hyoung Park on Twitter                               Mar 13, 2020, 7:29 PM ET

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

I hope no one loses sight of the fact that the world is in this mess because of China

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What day are US deaths suppose to skyrocket up?  We're sitting at 48. First reported case almost a month ago. First death on leap day (2 weeks ago). At some point if they don't, it's not as devastating as some imagined? Not saying it wont or it will. 

• Like 2

This is such a double-edged sword in terms of players' conditioning/availability. I'd be mostly concerned about arms that have been "stretching out" getting ready for a full workload suddenly now being in a holding pattern especially now that camps have closed down. That's severely abnormal especially for multi-year vets in terms of preparation for a season.  It will be interesting to see how pitching is once/if the season begins. OTOH many guys (bats and arms) that wouldn't have been able to play in April/May will become available as time passes and they heal. 

Unprecedented situation.

9 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

I hope no one loses sight of the fact that the world is in this mess because of China

Yes, but plenty of blame to go around. Once it got out of hand in China, nations should have banned all flights to and from China.

Think we're at point where most now understand we need to take the virus seriously and hopefully the message of what all us need to do to minimize the spread is getting through.  Now i'm worried about how panic is causing some irrational behavior, hoarding is becoming a problem.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Yes, but plenty of blame to go around. Once it got out of hand in China, nations should have banned all flights to and from China.

It is true that better steps could have been taken (example: Europe was far too lenient with allowing Chinese tourists in) but the main blame lies solely on the Chinese government for originally trying to cover it up to "save face" and when it got out of hand, then they announced it, but it was too late

• Like 2

Grocery store was a joke today. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I've been going a decent amount, its getting progressively work each day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Yup. People buying stuff to have in their house for a couple weeks? Cool. People buying 144 rolls of toilet paper? Uh, maybe buy some fiber?

Saw people stocking up on water bottles too. Umm...They’re not turning off our tap water.  And a gas station near me today ran out of gas. People are really, really stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

What day are US deaths suppose to skyrocket up?  We're sitting at 48. First reported case almost a month ago. First death on leap day (2 weeks ago). At some point if they don't, it's not as devastating as some imagined? Not saying it wont or it will. 

It doesn’t matter how many have died or are sick, good ole USA has shut down. 

The way North America runs there is no way they can pull off what China and South Korea did. The North American culture values money over lives. The U.S is the only for profit medical system in the civilized world. This virus also can cause permanent damage to the lungs. This wouldn't be a good outcome for average people never mind athletes..

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The way North America runs there is no way they can pull off what China and South Korea did. The North American culture values money over lives. The U.S is the only for profit medical system in the civilized world. This virus also can cause permanent damage to the lungs. This wouldn't be a good outcome for average people never mind athletes..

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3

Yeah, the US for profit medical lacks in access, but makes up for it in quality. It’s why 60,000+ Canadians cross the border annually when they need quality care, often because of cancer and/or surgeries. 
How’s Italy’s health care doing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The North American culture values money over lives.

That's not just North America bud. You're kidding yourself if you don't think every country has greedy/rich people who just want more and more at the expense of others. I lived in China for 4 years, money is GOD to Chinese people. While not every single Chinese person lives by these rules, it's ingrained into their culture. The rules go as follows:

1) Money is God

2) Family

3) Country

4) Everything else

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I've been going a decent amount, its getting progressively work each day.

32 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yup. People buying stuff to have in their house for a couple weeks? Cool. People buying 144 rolls of toilet paper? Uh, maybe buy some fiber?

Saw people stocking up on water bottles too. Umm...They’re not turning off our tap water.  And a gas station near me today ran out of gas. People are really, really stupid. 

In the last couple days it’s gone from hoarding hand sanitizer and TP to literally everything. I needed taco shells and ground beef for my son’s bday and couldn’t find any. 

And I’m in AZ, not Seattle, CA, NY etc.  

Edited by Members_Only_76

40 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I zigged while people zagged and bought 144 bottles of bourbon 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1