bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Not to mention plenty of states have largely shut down. The federal response may be meh but local governments in many areas are stepping up.

• Like 2

Regarding China it’s fair to say both sides are right:

They totally tried to suppress information and alarm about the virus early when decisive action could have maybe stopped it

But also once it got worse, they went to incredible lengths to snuff it out in an efficient manner that virtually no country on Earth could have done 

• Like 2

after watching chernobyl hbo mini series i still cant understand how governments handle certain situations. obviously this isnt as serious but still they/China botched the hell out of this.

• Like 1

You know what I find frightening? I finished reading The Stand a few months back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We postponed our live draft indefinitely, sigh

Edited by Members_Only_76

24 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

You know what I find frightening? I finished reading The Stand a few months back.

Want to see more frightening. The Gates’ held Event 201 last October, a role play where a Coronavirus (from pigs in Brazil) becomes a pandemic and wipes out millions. Watch video one.

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

2 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Regarding China it’s fair to say both sides are right:

They totally tried to suppress information and alarm about the virus early when decisive action could have maybe stopped it

But also once it got worse, they went to incredible lengths to snuff it out in an efficient manner that virtually no country on Earth could have done 

If they were honest from the beginning, it wouldn’t become a pandemic. Going to great lengths to fix a mess you created doesn’t make things right. China should be punished for all of this.

Saw a report the May is now the earliest MLB execs expect the season to start. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

If they were honest from the beginning, it wouldn’t become a pandemic. Going to great lengths to fix a mess you created doesn’t make things right. China should be punished for all of this.

You might be right, but they won't be.  Any more than we'll ever be punished for Iraq.  In international relations, even more than normal life, the big shots can more or less do what they want.  There's a school of thought in IR called "realism" which claims nation states exist in a state of anarchy and it's all just a power struggle. This is what I studied in college, so this is rare chance to know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, I don't totally buy into realism but it's the dominant school of thought and has at least some truth to it.

Also, I doubt it was their intention to cause a pandemic.  It's hard enough to rope in countries when they intentionally do bad stuff.  And, their poor decision making is over with.  It's only so often that they try to really lean on a powerful state and it's usually reserved to stop them from doing something they are actively doing at the time.

On top of all that, even if you did economic sanctions, the pain would probably just be distributed to the average person and the decision makers would be unaffected.  

However, this does serve as an example of why free and open societies function better.  

• Like 1

The way North America runs there is no way they can pull off what China and South Korea did. The North American culture values money over lives. The U.S is the only for profit medical system in the civilized world. This virus also can cause permanent damage to the lungs. This wouldn't be a good outcome for average people never mind athletes..

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3

Is the bolded line actually true? 

"Civilized" is probably a bad term if for no other reason, it's kind of vague.

Certainly true in the first world and beyond.  My ex was Brazilian and didn't want to give up her citizenship there because of superior access to health care.

In some countries, like Canada, HC is totally socialized which creates some problems. In most, it is just like police protection. It's there for everybody if they need it. If you have extra money, you can buy more.So there is a "for profit" element, just like we have private security companies. But profit is not the primary objective of the whole system

Our system costs 2x that of almost every other country. Do a google image search for "health care costs per capita" and you can choose from dozens of charts from dozens of studies all saying the same thing. This is the first one that came up when I did it. 

That's probably because, instead of just buying healthcare like we do police protection, roads, etc. everything is done through a web of insurance companies and stuff so we have to pay for office buildings, profits, salaries for everyone from the CEO to janitors, advertising, marketing, lawyers, PR, more insurance like malpractice, (we could do some kind of tort reform, but the problem is your HC provider needs a financial disincentive to screwing you).  There is a huge industry that is just medical billing.  Billions more is spent on lobbying and other ways of manipulating politicians to deliberately make things even less efficient.  

Some also say we pay more because we lack preventative care.  People don't get tests done because they can't pay for them, etc. 

Certainly, some of the cost comes from us being a bunch of sedentary fatasses too.

You also have that scammy stuff like, how your MD will make you come in for a pointless 3 minute, $180 visit to renew a scrip. Chris Liss went on a rant about how they were doing this to his mother and he had to spend a ton of time and energy to end the scam, at least in her case. 

These costs do not include some things, like the cost of having people go bankrupt from medical expenses.  That happens often even with socialized medicine because you might be too sick to work and stuff like that. But it happens more in our system.  Nor does include millions of hours of unpaid labor trying to figure out plans, arguing with providers etc.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trevor Bauer is also helping.  So far the Tigers are the only team pitching in.  All teams should help out their hourly workers.

George Springer is donating $100,000 to the Astros' employees affected by the delay to the start of the 2020 season.

"These are the people that help take care of my family when I go to work," Springer said in a statement. "Now I want to help take care of them when they’re in a time of need." Springer joins Trevor Bauer in making donations to help, and it's safe to say that we'll see more stars joining in helping those who won't be able to work during the coronavirus pandemic.

Source: Mark Berman on Twitter                    Mar 14, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

So? They quarantined Wuhan weeks AFTER the initial outbreak. They knew about the virus, tried to quietly contain those who were sick so the world wouldn't know about it, couldn't handle the situation, it got out to other areas, THEN they announce it to the rest of the world. Well it's too late by then.

Yes they did all that but took extreme measures to fix the problem. they are now averaging less than 20 a day. Other countries have now gone to extreme lengths as well like Italy,Spain and Denmark. My whole point is I don't think North America would take these extreme measures because they value money over people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

I'm sure our country will be as capable as any of getting through this. For those praising China and denouncing our government, you are always free to hop on a boat and sail somewhere else

This is one of the most annoying arguments people trot out.

If the pipes in your house are leaking like crazy and you are at risk of serious flood damage if your landlord does nothing -- and in fact s/he has dragged their heels dealing with the issue, all the while your neighbor across the way had the same problem but his/her landlord jumped into action quickly enough to keep things from becoming completely ****** -- you absolutely have a right to complain.

Newsflash: people don't want a new house. They like their house. They want it to be fixed so they can get back to living in it as they used to. What they want is a better landlord. Get the difference?

• Like 6

Wait someone told people to hop on a boat if they don’t like the respone UNIRONICALLY? Lmao 

Kudos to Trump for declaring COVD-19 a national emergency. Reading his Twitter his messaging is now spot-on. That is huge as his previous minimizing (and even blaming the Democrats and press) tone generated great and dangerous confusion, as re-reading through this thread reveals. I’m glad state and local leaders as well as the leaders of the sports and entertainment industry were ahead of the curve and cancelled events what seemed like prematurely a few days ago.  Look at what is happening in Spain and France today. They are about a week ahead of us. I expect outbreaks around the country next week. One just happened in NJ. Stay safe. We are about to hit a several week period of rapid spread before it gets better.  

As Trump tweeted today, “social distancing”. Someone finally has his ear that knows what to do in this situation. 

• Like 2

Trump tests negative for COVID-19

Thank God.

• Like 1

[ Posts removed.  COVID-19 is obviously an issue that encroaches on everything including politics.  These forums have a strict no politics policy, which is being interpreted very loosely right now in the hopes that a civil discussion of the virus and its impact on sports and society as a whole can continue.  That becomes impossible when people stay beyond the reporting of what's happening to attack politicians and political parties.  At this time, the White House is saying the President has tested negative.  Any speculation beyond that, and in particular, wishes that the outcome were different, will not be tolerated here.  If the community can't handle these restrictions, then we can close the thread and you can take the hostility elsewhere. ]

• Thanks 1

Flattening of the the graphical curve of virus cases could occur in two weeks of public isolation.  

I am optimistic for May baseball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, B&F said:

Flattening of the the graphical curve of virus cases could occur in two weeks of public isolation.  

I am optimistic for May baseball.

I was but now I think there will be outbreaks yet for several weeks as we isolate. Plus the gear up/ late ST time. June 1 is my guess right now. 

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

Yes they did all that but took extreme measures to fix the problem. they are now averaging less than 20 a day. Other countries have now gone to extreme lengths as well like Italy,Spain and Denmark. My whole point is I don't think North America would take these extreme measures because they value money over people.

Dude are you a Chinese government official or something?? They took extreme measure after the fact that they were exposed globally and didn't want the virus to spread in their own country. The Chinese government does not, I repeat, DOES NOT care about the rest of the world. They can lockdown entire cities, arrest whoever they want, DO whatever they want because Xi Jinping is a dictator and what he says goes, and if you disagree...off to black prison for you! Never to be heard from again.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

I was but now I think there will be outbreaks yet for several weeks as we isolate. Plus the gear up/ late ST time. June 1 is my guess right now. 

Possibly.  I read New Yorkers are still going to restaurants and bars.  SMH.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

I'm sure our country will be as capable as any of getting through this. For those praising China and denouncing our government, you are always free to hop on a boat and sail somewhere else

I am sure you have all the answers!

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Dude are you a Chinese government official or something?? They took extreme measure after the fact that they were exposed globally and didn't want the virus to spread in their own country. The Chinese government does not, I repeat, DOES NOT care about the rest of the world. They can lockdown entire cities, arrest whoever they want, DO whatever they want because Xi Jinping is a dictator and what he says goes, and if you disagree...off to black prison for you! Never to be heard from again.

We still dont have nearly the number of tests we need!  The Federal response was and is negligent!