bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Yes they did all that but took extreme measures to fix the problem. they are now averaging less than 20 a day. Other countries have now gone to extreme lengths as well like Italy,Spain and Denmark. My whole point is I don't think North America would take these extreme measures because they value money over people.

That's a very cynical way of putting it. More like American culture values individualism and freedom as a principle. Where the eastern culture is different. Scandinavia is also rather collectivist. Italy is the one that waited to long to shut things down.

Everyone cares about money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Flattening of the the graphical curve of virus cases could occur in two weeks of public isolation.  

I am optimistic for May baseball.

hoe youre right, sounds like wishful thinking

Another possibility is that the season is played some time, May, June whenever...and the virus ramps back up and they shut the league down again.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Another possibility is that the season is played some time, May, June whenever...and the virus ramps back up and they shut the league down again.  

Totally possible. With no vaccine this fall /winter  could be worse if it does tend toward an endemic type seasonality.

48 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

That is honestly quite possible, but let's not venture down that road yet....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

hoe youre right, sounds like wishful thinking

Calling me a hoe?  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Possible but I do not think likely.  

There is scientific evidence this particular virus does not do well in warm temperatures.

5 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

You might be right, but they won't be.  Any more than we'll ever be punished for Iraq.  In international relations, even more than normal life, the big shots can more or less do what they want.  There's a school of thought in IR called "realism" which claims nation states exist in a state of anarchy and it's all just a power struggle. This is what I studied in college, so this is rare chance to know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, I don't totally buy into realism but it's the dominant school of thought and has at least some truth to it.

Also, I doubt it was their intention to cause a pandemic.  It's hard enough to rope in countries when they intentionally do bad stuff.  And, their poor decision making is over with.  It's only so often that they try to really lean on a powerful state and it's usually reserved to stop them from doing something they are actively doing at the time.

On top of all that, even if you did economic sanctions, the pain would probably just be distributed to the average person and the decision makers would be unaffected.  

However, this does serve as an example of why free and open societies function better.  

I agree that it’s unfortunate that the higher ups won’t be punished and that this proves that free societies function better. I just wish that they were somehow punished for causing all this. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, B&F said:

Possible but I do not think likely.  

There is scientific evidence this particular virus does not do well in warm temperatures.

Covid-19 is a NEW strain of virus that hasn't existed in humans through warmer weather yet so no we have no evidence it will not do well come summer.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Covid-19 is a NEW strain of virus that hasn't existed in humans through warmer weather yet so no we have no evidence it will not do well come summer.

Yup.  My source has been debunked.   Why people post this stuff I have no idea.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/03/theres-a-facebook-coronavirus-post-going-viral-claiming-to-be-from-stanford-dont-believe-it/

This is some scary stuff here if this data is accurate:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this has been shared.  There's so much discussion here and I can't keep up.  This was from 2014. 😕

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Regarding China it’s fair to say both sides are right:

They totally tried to suppress information and alarm about the virus early when decisive action could have maybe stopped it

But also once it got worse, they went to incredible lengths to snuff it out in an efficient manner that virtually no country on Earth could have done 

If the Chinese government could have had it their way not a single piece of information would have escaped the country. All the “help” they’re giving now is the equivalent of someone totaling your car and then offering to vacuum it.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

If the Chinese government could have had it their way not a single piece of information would have escaped the country. All the “help” they’re giving now is the equivalent of someone totaling your car and then offering to vacuum it.

You are correct.  However, the US is suppressing information too, with all the restrictions on who can and can't get tested.  Downplaying the disease and suppressing information is not limited to China.  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

Trump is offering a lot of government funds to purchase conarvirus vaccine labs from other countries.  However if they accept the money, the vaccines can only be used for the US, and no vaccines or help provided to the country they reside in.

Yes, the US trying to suppress a lot as well.

My wonder is how much of the statistics coming from China is totally accurate.  You don't know what numbers were softened to mask the seriousness of the virus to make it look less worse than it really is.

Heard chatter the season could still start in April with empty stadiums for fans, wait for the outbreak to die down for opening stadiums back up. I’d rather this happen than an extremely abbreviated season.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There is evidence that this virus won't thrive as well in the cold. It is covid-19 there were 18 other strains before this that they have this knowledge on.

What there really is no evidence of is that this virus is all of a sudden evolved into some entirely new.  If that were the case scientists wouldn't have gone with covid-19 it would be called something entirely new.

Furthermore do you truly think scientists working around the clock on this virus aren't looking at the virus in different temperatures?  Of course they are!

So to keep saying things like the above is just more fear mongering and flat out wrong.

Now if you want to say we don't know the extent the warmth may have on it sure there's no 100% certain answer there.  But there is 0 evidence that this is a virus that the will be more effective at infecting people in the warmer months.

Now people who arent really understanding how the virus works will after the fact say more people got infected in April than March.  But as the educated know causation and correlation aren't always the same thing.  The cause of more people being infected in April is due to having been compounded longer not due to warmer weather.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

There is evidence that this virus won't thrive as well in the cold. It is covid-19 there were 18 other strains before this that they have this knowledge on.

What there really is no evidence of is that this virus is all of a sudden evolved into some entirely new.  If that were the case scientists wouldn't have gone with covid-19 it would be called something entirely new.

I cringe apologetically as I am forced to break this to you but...  COronaVIrus Disease 2019

They have no idea yet if warm weather is going to slow this down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To keep all athletes safe, MLB will be implementing ghost runners and pitchers mound WILL be poison.

Anxiety is high at the moment. This is definitely a wake up call on many issues. Hard lessons are being learned and I'm hoping for some changes for the better long term.

Was out walking my dog in the neighborhood this morning and pick up a slip of paper it was a fortune cookie fortune.

The coming month shall bring winds of change in your life.

Change is inevitable of course, I'm hoping long term it's for the better.

Had lucky numbers on the fortune. Will play them for sure. Lol

Stay safe all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

I cringe apologetically as I am forced to break this to you but...  COronaVIrus Disease 2019

They have no idea yet if warm weather is going to slow this down.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. 19 means yes, it’s a new strain. But Coronavirus is not new. So I’m not sure you’re breaking what you think you are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Furthermore do you truly think scientists working around the clock on this virus aren't looking at the virus in different temperatures?  Of course they are!

So to keep saying things like the above is just more fear mongering and flat out wrong.

Now if you want to say we don't know the extent the warmth may have on it sure there's no 100% certain answer there.  But there is 0 evidence that this is a virus that the will be more effective at infecting people in the warmer months.

Now people who arent really understanding how the virus works will after the fact say more people got infected in April than March.  But as the educated know causation and correlation aren't always the same thing.  The cause of more people being infected in April is due to having been compounded longer not due to warmer weather.

Temperature is different than season. 

18 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. 19 means yes, it’s a new strain. But Coronavirus is not new. So I’m not sure you’re breaking what you think you are.

He’s saying that there aren’t 19 viruses, it’s named 19 for the year it was discovered 

• Like 5

Prob looking at a June start date

im prob done drafting baseball this yr

#saddening

ive heard they might play through all star break but who knows