bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

On 3/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, StevieStats said:

The hysteria over this is ridiculous. 

Every year its the end of the world... Y2K, mad cow, swine flu, bird flu, sars, mers, end of Mayan calendar, last year's mosquitos... Or this January when the media hyped up WW3...

The flu kills 291,000 - 646,000 people worldwide every single year. 3,000 have died from Coronavirus so far. We'll be fine.

Coronavirus is not a real threat. The media hysterics and driving people to a panic is the damage being done. 

This should not impact MLB games... Unless the league caves to hysterics.

What should we do? I'd start by refinancing your house at these rates. If you have money to invest time to buy stocks that tumbled without any reason other than hurd mentality.

As for fantasy baseball... Zero impact and I'm not making a single adjustment to any player values or my strategy because of it.

This is a terrible post. You may think some individuals are overreacting, but it is a very serious virus that needs serious steps to combat it. What would you have suggested China’s response to be? Just ignore it and let it spread all over?  Did any of those other things you mention cause the second largest part of the economy to shut down for a month plus? No. That has already effected the economy and you’ll see that as first quarter earnings end up being announced. 

Yiur conpariosn to death tolls is also not helpful. One is an endemic thing that our health care system is specifically taking into account. One is a more dangerous thing that is unexpected and new.  If there was a lion loose in your town that had killed two people, it wouldn’t be comforting to say “don’t worry about it: car crashes kill way more people each year than lions”

That said there’s no reason to PANIC. Most young healthy people will be fine. Your life isn’t changing drastically. The world will keep on spinning. But it is a very important threat that needs to be met AND it is a threat that has alresdy majorly damaged the economy (with the potential for far more as parts of Europe and the US potentially cancel events, vacations, etc)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

This discussion is probably worth a big ole caveat that if a player or staff comes down with COVID-19 all bets are off. MLB players and employees are probably 99th percentile for air travel and though not at huge risk personally if carrying the virus could spread it far and wide very quickly.

Edited by Mikewastaken
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

This discussion is probably worth a big ole caveat that if a player or staff comes down with COVID-19 all bets are off. MLB players and employees are probably 99th percentile for air travel and though not at huge risk personally if carrying the virus could spread it far and wide very quickly.

The planes won't be much of the problem since they are leased for the whole season by teams as their team plane and though some of the airport can be avoided not all of it can.  The major problem though is that visiting teams have to stay at hotels with tons of other people and eat there or at nearby restaurants.  They can't travel in isolation. 

And though older staff would be more at risk even healthy younger people can come down with this though their survival rate is higher.  And once a team has even one member infected the season is at risk in general since no other team will want to play them and other ballparks won't want them there nor hotels etc.  They would be forced into self-quarantining for several weeks best case scenario and the schedule and games played are messed up for them and all other teams as a result.

So looking at it for non-humanitarian and purely selfish baseball reasons only this is a very dicey situation in and of itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rabaak said:

I don't think your interpretation is correct. So I think it needs a response

There was much to worry about. And I don't think it was overblown.

We didn't know if we had the problem completely under control. So the public needed to be warned. 

There were articles stating work was being done prior to Dec 31,1999. Some of those gave examples of areas that might be impacted like GPS equipment, financial software, transportation systems etc., which scared some people. 

There were problems that showed up on Jan 1, 2000. Things like a customer getting billed 91,000 dollars for returning a movie late to a video rental store.

Commercial nuclear reactors had glitches with mission critical monitoring systems.

Some Banks had customers whose ATM cards would not work as machines thought the cards had expired.

US Spy satellites transmitted unreadable data for 3 days (what if we would have had a terrorist attack in those 3 days).

The list of minor impacts like this is available online and was quite irritating to those impacted.

Some of the fixes took weeks to get resolved and Y2K did impact groups of people.  

The thing that irks me is that revisionist history treats Y2K like it was a non-event and that having the general public on high alert was a waste of time.

Your prepare for the worst and hope for the best in circumstances like that.

For the most part Y2k was a successful implementation that the people who worked on should be proud of.

I guess it's easy to say it was overblown in hindsight, as no one that I'm aware of was impacted. Didn't mean to come across insensitive. I was sincere when I said I commend the work that went into fixing the y2k issue.

I was responding more to the point about how a lot of people overreact and it negatively impacts others. But maybe all the stock piling of water, gasoline, guns, ammunition, generators, canned goods, etc. was smart and prudent. Those who couldn't buy those things during that time that actually needed them, well too bad I guess. Just like now with this reaction to the virus. I can barely find hand sanitizer, soap, and can't even get toilet paper at Costco.

[ Post removed. If you're going to post a hypothetical quote from MLB about games being postponed, you need to make it very clear that that's what you're doing. ]

• Thanks 1

A hypothetical quote from MLB about games being postponed: "Out of an abundance of caution, all MLB games will be postponed until further notice." -- The MLB and the players union, have every reason to play this safe (cover their butts).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, merlin401 said:

This is a terrible post. You may think some individuals are overreacting, but it is a very serious virus that needs serious steps to combat it. What would you have suggested China’s response to be? Just ignore it and let it spread all over?  Did any of those other things you mention cause the second largest part of the economy to shut down for a month plus? No. That has already effected the economy and you’ll see that as first quarter earnings end up being announced. 

Yiur conpariosn to death tolls is also not helpful. One is an endemic thing that our health care system is specifically taking into account. One is a more dangerous thing that is unexpected and new.  If there was a lion loose in your town that had killed two people, it wouldn’t be comforting to say “don’t worry about it: car crashes kill way more people each year than lions”

That said there’s no reason to PANIC. Most young healthy people will be fine. Your life isn’t changing drastically. The world will keep on spinning. But it is a very important threat that needs to be met AND it is a threat that has alresdy majorly damaged the economy (with the potential for far more as parts of Europe and the US potentially cancel events, vacations, etc)

Holy Christ talk about overreaction.

Learn the difference between inherent and mitigated risk. Nope, in no way shape or form did I suggest do nothing or just let it spread or that no response was necessary -- that's just silly and a disingenous counter-argument. We have the necessary and appropriate resources and response. 

Yet at then end you circle back to no reason to panic. Which was the crux of my post. 😄

I'm amazed this thread is even allowed in the fantasy talk forum considering how easily other things get moved out.

• Like 3

Translation: Since I coughed yesterday and didn't want to go into the clubhouse on my own in a situation where there was no possibility of corona, I talked to the team first and lost my pitch. . 
 It is a hospital now. I hope there is no fever and nothing.

51 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Holy Christ talk about overreaction.

Learn the difference between inherent and mitigated risk. Nope, in no way shape or form did I suggest do nothing or just let it spread or that no response was necessary -- that's just silly and a disingenous counter-argument. We have the necessary and appropriate resources and response. 

Yet at then end you circle back to no reason to panic. Which was the crux of my post. 😄

I'm amazed this thread is even allowed in the fantasy talk forum considering how easily other things get moved out.

So you're saying that China's reaction was appropriate, but that even thinking about this impacting MLB is silly.  Well if MLB was operating in China the last two months, then every single game would have been cancelled.  Ergo, if it happens to spread here, you can bet your a** you're going to see reactions that could very well effect MLB schedules.  So don't say it's "not a threat" but that China handled it the right way.  China's reaction to this disease shows HOW MUCH of a threat it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

The topic has the potential to be fantasy-relevant, and even if it turns out not to be, sometimes it's best to quarantine topics like this to keep them from infecting other threads.

This latest escalation isn't helping the case for it staying open, though.  Dial back the intensity a bit, guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

So you're saying that China's reaction was appropriate, but that even thinking about this impacting MLB is silly.  Well if MLB was operating in China the last two months, then every single game would have been cancelled.  Ergo, if it happens to spread here, you can bet your a** you're going to see reactions that could very well effect MLB schedules.  So don't say it's "not a threat" but that China handled it the right way.  China's reaction to this disease shows HOW MUCH of a threat it is. 

How about you stick to words that are actually said instead of making things up, maybe you won't be so upset. Never mentioned China's response... Unless when I said "we" you assumed I was Chinese? 😂

Also the MLB doesn't play in China so it doesn't matter what would happen if they were in China. Our response is completely different as is controls in place, and geographically on the other side of the world.

I'll go back to talking about actual fantasy baseball relevant topics and stick to my opinion that the only way this affects the MLB season is if the league caves to panic and hysterics. 

Enjoy this year's Armageddon, looking forward to next year's.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Translation: Since I coughed yesterday and didn't want to go into the clubhouse on my own in a situation where there was no possibility of corona, I talked to the team first and lost my pitch. . 
 It is a hospital now. I hope there is no fever and nothing.

Rest easy on this one:

Yu Darvish tested negative for the flu.

Darvish was scratched from his scheduled Cactus League start on Thursday after experiencing flu-like symptoms and he went to a local hospital in Arizona for a precautionary screening. As it turns out, he just has a bad cold. The veteran right-hander should be able to get into a game sometime this weekend.

Source: Jesse Rogers on Twitter                        Mar 5, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

• Like 2

Two things can be true:

1) These are of course dangerous diseases that people are working tirelessly to combat. Kudos to them.

And

2) The media hypes this up, literally every year, because they’re a business like everyone else and they want views and clicks. They’re using this, like they always do. 

Calling this out doesn’t mean we don’t realize that some people in other countries will unfortunately die, and that some elderly and younger people here may also die. But that’s true of any sickness. Forgive me if I refuse to let the media control my emotions, like they love and are able to do for so many. It may be the residual affects of mad cow or west Nile that I contracted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

How about you stick to words that are actually said instead of making things up, maybe you won't be so upset. Never mentioned China's response... Unless when I said "we" you assumed I was Chinese? 😂

Also the MLB doesn't play in China so it doesn't matter what would happen if they were in China. Our response is completely different as is controls in place, and geographically on the other side of the world.

I'll go back to talking about actual fantasy baseball relevant topics and stick to my opinion that the only way this affects the MLB season is if the league caves to panic and hysterics. 

Enjoy this year's Armageddon, looking forward to next year's.

So when you say the virus is not a “real” threat, what does that mean? Especially given that you also say “in no way shape or form did I suggest ...just let it spread”.  So you therefore agree that governments should take action to stop the virus from spreading. What measures should they use? Potentially preventing large crowds might be one of those measures (they did that in China, Iran, Italy, or are you suggestion that two authoritarian regimes and one stable European country all “gave into hysteria”?).  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Two things can be true:

1) These are of course dangerous diseases that people are working tirelessly to combat. Kudos to them.

And

2) The media hypes this up, literally every year, because they’re a business like everyone else and they want views and clicks. They’re using this, like they always do. 

Calling this out doesn’t mean we don’t realize that some people in other countries will unfortunately die, and that some elderly and younger people here may also die. But that’s true of any sickness. Forgive me if I refuse to let the media control my emotions, like they love and are able to do for so many. It may be the residual affects of mad cow or west Nile that I contracted. 

I absolutely agree with this.  I’m not saying this was directed at me, but my disagreement (and possibly others) with a poster’s statement was that it was not a real threat.  It absolutely is (it’s nowhere near a world-ender, it’s a potential big disruptor) and labeling something as such does not equate to hysteria.  I think dismissing minimizes what those working so diligently on our behalf are doing.  But the media is absolutely doing it’s thing.  It reminds me of an old Simpson’s episode.  While I don’t post much I appreciate (and learn a lot from) your posts.  I think your residual effects may be from Space Herpes (Ice Pirates).  I’ll try not to post further on this as we have a bigger threat - 2ndCitySox is dying over this thread!

Edited by Wilford Brimley
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wilford Brimley said:

I absolutely agree with this.  I’m not saying this was directed at me, but my disagreement (and possibly others) with a poster’s statement was that it was not a real threat.  It absolutely is (it’s nowhere near a world-ender, it’s a potential big disruptor) and labeling something as such does not equate to hysteria.  I think dismissing minimizes what those working so diligently on our behalf are doing.  But the media is absolutely doing it’s thing.  It reminds me of an old Simpson’s episode.  While I don’t post much I appreciate (and learn a lot from) your posts.  I think your residual effects may be from Space Herpes (Ice Pirates).  I’ll try not to post further on this as we have a bigger threat - 2ndCitySox is dying over this thread!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Still a critical mask shortage because of people over-reacting and not thinking through this. 

So ... are you bothered about it

1 hour ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Still a critical mask shortage because of people over-reacting and not thinking through this. 

The US outsourced the majority of mask production to China to save money. Most of China's factories have been shut down for two months. We also outsourced the production of important medicines and antibiotics. Those shortages may happen soon based on the high global demand and low supply.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is a big prepper which I am not at all.  But he did open my eyes on a couple of points.

1) There is a large middle ground between the world turning into Mad Max and something like this being a little blip we forget all about 2 weeks later. Maybe you just need or prefer to stay at home for a while and will be glad to have ultra-conservative investments of some kind.

2) Low level preparation is basically a freeroll. You don't have to spend a year's salary building a bunker.  Having some food on hand and some precious metals doesn't really cost you anything because they pretty much retain their value.  

On that note, even if this is just a really bad flu that is deadly to vulnerable people and merely completely awful for healthy people, it could have a pretty significant impact.  If it hits like China or Iran, I'm sure as ship not going to a ball game just because I am unlikely to actually die from it.  Players will be heavily impacted and I can even see them not wanting to travel or play if it is FAIRLY bad.  Not movie bad, but a frighting, very unpleasant situation.   I mean, most of these guys have millions in the bank.  They're wives are going to be begging them to stay home. Baseball might start to seem pretty small.  

Sure, we'd like them to understand that our fantasy leagues are in fact, monumentally important.  But we already know that most of them don't see the bigger picture.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Full on panic mode in Seattle.  My moms company is having everyone work at home for at least 2 weeks.  Legit chance the Mariners season is interrupted!  Good news for fantasy owners is none of these losers were worth Drafting anyway!

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's hit the Maryland/DC area too. Three reported cases in the MD suburbs (just outside of DC). The governor had a press conference last night to provide updates / warnings. 

11 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

On that note, even if this is just a really bad flu that is deadly to vulnerable people and merely completely awful for healthy people, it could have a pretty significant impact.  If it hits like China or Iran, I'm sure as ship not going to a ball game just because I am unlikely to actually die from it.  Players will be heavily impacted and I can even see them not wanting to travel or play if it is FAIRLY bad.  Not movie bad, but a frighting, very unpleasant situation.   I mean, most of these guys have millions in the bank.  They're wives are going to be begging them to stay home. Baseball might start to seem pretty small. 

These guys fly on private team planes, its not like they are going to crowded airports where they might contract something. The traveling will be fine. If there were any foreign games this year I would have assumed they'd been cancelled. Last year there were games to start the year in Japan, no doubt those would've been postponed if that was this year.