bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

36 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I need a shower after some of the comments in here. Thanks for playing right into the notion that people don't care about anything until it affects them personally. You think you're invincible until you're not. A lot of us probably have parents or grandparents who are 70+ years old. Taking every precaution possible to keep the virus away from them is a moral imperative.

I just watched the White House briefing and one of the main takeaways was the lady citing data from Italy and France showing there is a much larger percentage of younger people getting very seriously ill and some even dying there than in China.  So yes 20-somethings are indeed at risk.

She speculated that because of the original Chinese data that many millennials may have felt pretty invulnerable to the virus and didn't practice safety measures to the same degree as older people in those countries.  The result was the overall QUANTITY of younger people getting infected shot way up compared to China and so the serious illnesses and even some deaths did as well.  That yes it is still less severe in younger people but if younger people don't follow safety guidelines then the overall numbers of infected shoot way up in their group and with it the number that need hospitalization putting a further strain on resources.

So yeah.  We can but hope that some of these people who have been thinking themselves so safe and secure will stop with the selfish spring break parties and get with the program and stop putting people at risk including themselves and staining our limited medical resources.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I just watched the White House briefing and one of the main takeaways was the lady citing data from Italy and France showing there is a much larger percentage of younger people getting very seriously ill and some even dying there than in China.  So yes 20-somethings are indeed at risk.

She speculated that because of the original Chinese data that many millennials may have felt pretty invulnerable to the virus and didn't practice safety measures to the same degree as older people in those countries.  The result was the overall QUANTITY of younger people getting infected shot way up compared to China and so the serious illnesses and even some deaths did as well.  That yes it is still less severe in younger people but if younger people don't follow safety guidelines then the overall numbers of infected shoot way up in their group and with it the number that need hospitalization putting a further strain on resources.

So yeah.  We can but hope that some of these people who have been thinking themselves so safe and secure will stop with the selfish spring break parties and get with the program and stop putting people at risk including themselves and staining our limited medical resources.

This. I'm 26 and have been sheltered in my house for 2 weeks now. No reason to go out even though I'd probably be fine. I would just potentially spread it to others that won't be. While the millenials might not get too sick from this, they are the main transmitters of the virus and them being out and about is a serious danger. The only reason bars clubs and gyms are getting shut down is because the government can't trust millennials to actually listen to the guidance.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I've watched enough CNN to know their intent, you can see how they want people to panic. it's the way they have covered this that has people believing things are awful and everyone is going to die. Coronavirus is not something unprecedented.

im from Germany. a Little Panic is good in this case. helps to Keep death rates lower. i dont exactly know how different networks covering it. one thing is CLEAR: your president underestimated this completly. days ago he compared it to flu, 15 cases…it will go away. and italy was on fire already. he has done a terrible Job Managing this. he has a real Problem to understand and deal with scientific Facts. the last 2 days there is Little shift. Looks like he understood slowly how serious this is. 

not everyone will die. but your Risk is higher the older you are. and the Problem is the % will rise with a medical System which is overwhelmed (italy). so slowing it down is the Goal. good luck with that. you are ahead of europe 7-14 days and you can act better. Looks like your president, after 7-10 days, realized this. better late than never.

• Like 2

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that there isn't going to baseball this year.

People underestimated this virus a month ago and now from reading various projections, we may need to be quarantined for more than the original 8 weeks. Everyone stay safe out there, and even if you think the virus isn't going to give you problems, self isolate to you don't potentially give it to someone that could put their life in danger. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I am currently battling cancer and undergoing chemo treatment. My Doctors have told me in so many words that if I get it, "I won't do well". I'm as good as dead if I get it. I have 2 months worth of supplies so I don't have to go out and am isolated at home. I have no choice. It's not panic, for people like me this is a life and death situation. I wish more people would realize that.

I'm pulling for you homie, I hope you have a speedy recover and stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

nobody is saying this isn't serious, but that doesn't mean everyone getting Coronavirus is going to die. that seems to be the perception from mainstream media that act like nothing ever before has been like this.

I watch a lot of media and they don’t seem to be close to an “everyone will die” narrative.  They are considering it a threat appropriately, though 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A thought, not a hard fact.  I’m not a medical professional making claims, but.....

We’re currently testing for those that possibly HAVE the virus.  There is no way of knowing who already has had it.  A B test will eventually be developed that will test antibodies to see if anyone’s already had the virus.  This test should still be a ways off, but should be out much sooner than a vaccine.  Although a b-test won’t eliminate the virus, not necessarily slow,it’s spread, it would still be huge in allowing previously infected (and hence immune) people to stop isolating, go out and work, shop, play baseball.....this could at least take some strain off the economy.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by Cesare13

I was listening to a Doctor talk about how they aren't testing people with symptoms and are just sending them home and telling them to isolate for 2 weeks. Aren't we all supposed to isolate btw?

I guess I don't understand the lack of testing at this point in time. And how can we trust the stats are even remotely accurate.

Especially if one of the biggest concerns is over-burdening the healthcare system. The sooner we detect (especially high risk folks) the sooner they can get treated, get well and not end up in the ICU, or worse, die because there aren't any ICU beds left.

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I was listening to a Doctor talk about how they aren't testing people with symptoms and are just sending them home and telling them to isolate for 2 weeks.

Triage. 

Most people will not need treatment.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, B&F said:

Triage. 

Most people will not need treatment.

I agree, but we don't need to know who has it and who doesn't?

And again, stats are just wrong then.

Edited by Members_Only_76

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

i believe the issue is that we (the U.S.) don't have enough test kits.. 

i agree with your stance. without testing, our numbers are skewed and not accurately portraying the situation.

i wonder how many folks will self-quarantine, get better, and subsequently never receive a test.

2 hours ago, cornerback said:

im from Germany. a Little Panic is good in this case. helps to Keep death rates lower. i dont exactly know how different networks covering it. one thing is CLEAR: your president underestimated this completly. days ago he compared it to flu, 15 cases…it will go away. and italy was on fire already. he has done a terrible Job Managing this. he has a real Problem to understand and deal with scientific Facts. the last 2 days there is Little shift. Looks like he understood slowly how serious this is. 

not everyone will die. but your Risk is higher the older you are. and the Problem is the % will rise with a medical System which is overwhelmed (italy). so slowing it down is the Goal. good luck with that. you are ahead of europe 7-14 days and you can act better. Looks like your president, after 7-10 days, realized this. better late than never.

Really?  So banning travelers from China well over a month ago was terrible?  

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

At this time they need to use every resource to treat people who need it.

The import statistic is the number of hospital beds available.  

Really we just need to follow the instructions laid out by the government.   Isolate and social distance.

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

i believe the issue is that we (the U.S.) don't have enough test kits.. 

i agree with your stance. without testing, our numbers are skewed and not accurately portraying the situation.

i wonder how many folks will self-quarantine, get better, and subsequently never receive a test.

I don't know what goes into supplying more test kits, but hopefully that's urgently being worked on an funded/expedited by our Federal Govt.

Also, I would think early detection for high risk folks would be key and test more of those people even before symptoms are present.

And is there a way to do home testing so you don't catch the virus while going out to the doctor to get the test. 

I'm probably floating off into "ideal-land", just not realistic I guess.

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I was listening to a Doctor talk about how they aren't testing people with symptoms and are just sending them home and telling them to isolate for 2 weeks. Aren't we all supposed to isolate btw?

I guess I don't understand the lack of testing at this point in time. And how can we trust the stats are even remotely accurate.

Especially if one of the biggest concerns is over-burdening the healthcare system. The sooner we detect (especially high risk folks) the sooner they can get treated, get well and not end up in the ICU, or worse, die because there aren't any ICU beds left.

Are you sure that's how it works?  People don't become immune to the flu.  Sure there are flu shot vaccines but people still get the flu with that.  I don't think if you've recovered there's no chance of you getting it again, probably just far less likely at least right away.

Also, there is no treatment.  Basically stay at home and rest up with lots of fluids.  That's the treatment.  Unless its severe to the point you need hospitalization. 

The problem is so many people are just selfish (and stupid). A lot of them don't care.  "Oh its just old people, my family doesn't fall into the high-risk bracket."  My neighbors have been shouting how "its just the flu! Italy is all old people!  I'm not worried"  And they have their friends passing by all the time, very carefree. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that there isn't going to baseball this year.

People underestimated this virus a month ago and now from reading various projections, we may need to be quarantined for more than the original 8 weeks. Everyone stay safe out there, and even if you think the virus isn't going to give you problems, self isolate to you don't potentially give it to someone that could put their life in danger. 

If they start by early May, and maybe extend the season until Thanksgiving you'd still have a shot at a pretty significant slate of games.  Expand rosters by 3-4 guys and reduce some off days, All-Star break and sprinkle in some doubleheaders and maybe they even get in 162.

Keep hope alive, my man.

Edited by AJdude
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

a good visual here as well, always loved this 

Image result for wolf pack sick taken care of

Too bad the explanation is not true to what is actually going on in that pic.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Too bad the explanation is not true to what is actually going on in that pic.

and too bad that pic (or at least the incorrect interpretation of it) isn’t actually a close equivalence to the situation. A picture of wolves staying home and not hunting because going out into the wild might mean infecting the elderly in their community at home would be more apt comparison of the conundrum were in

This goes beyond just yelling at people for going out and having fun. It’s also about the impact of restricting people’s ability to provide for their families

Edited by UberRebel

7 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I've watched enough CNN to know their intent, you can see how they want people to panic. it's the way they have covered this that has people believing things are awful and everyone is going to die. Coronavirus is not something unprecedented.

Oh please. I would say up until a week or two ago the media’s coverage of this was completely understating how significant it would be. Nowhere has anyone ever said or insinuated infections almost surely result in death.  Has any media even ever said the death rate is over 5% at any time?? I doubt it. Stop complaining about the media. You’re picking the one thing that they actually really really NEEDED to sound the alarm over while the US President and his party were saying it was a hoax and conspiracy, and are criticizing them for doing their job this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJdude said:

More like how mr president handled this in the beginning. 

Jan 22 “we have it totally under control.”

Feb 2 “we pretty much shut it down” 

Feb 24 “The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA... The stock market looks very good to me” 

Feb 25 “ CDC and my administration is doing a great job of handling coronavirus “ 

Feb 25 “I think that’s a problem that is going to go away...They studied it they know very much in fact we are close to a vaccine.” 

Feb 26 “ The 15 (cases in the USA) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJdude said:

If they start by early May, and maybe extend the season until Thanksgiving you'd still have a shot at a pretty significant slate of games.  Expand rosters by 3-4 guys and reduce some off days, All-Star break and sprinkle in some doubleheaders and maybe they even get in 162.

Keep hope alive, my man.

I honestly would love that, but the situation outside of baseball is rather dire. They are projecting that this virus is gonna affect us for the next 18 months. But I do like your optimism. I'll expect the worst, but hope for the best. I really could use some baseball right now to distract my mind as it seems like the world is falling apart and we're gonna look like Snake Plissken in a dystopian future. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AJdude said:

its not terrible. BUT at that Point the Virus already was in the US. so additional Things should ve been done back then (which didnt happened). look, i dont care who is your president, or your next. it doesnt matter for a "normal" Person in europe. and every democratic  Nation in the end gets the leader they deserve. 

im just telling you, that trump did a terrible Job Managing this. two days ago it changed a Little bit. thats all. you dont have to beljeve me, you can still think trump did a great Job or is the only Person who can fix it.

im just giving an outside look. from a perspective that is 10-14 days ahead of you. and trust me, its way better to take this very serious. do more and be carefull now, you will Profit later.

Edited by cornerback

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Oh please. I would say up until a week or two ago the media’s coverage of this was completely understating how significant it would be. Nowhere has anyone ever said or insinuated infections almost surely result in death.  Has any media even ever said the death rate is over 5% at any time?? I doubt it. Stop complaining about the media. You’re picking the one thing that they actually really really NEEDED to sound the alarm over while the US President and his party were saying it was a hoax and conspiracy, and are criticizing them for doing their job this time. 

Yeah it's too bad Hilary wasn't at the helm for this disaster. She would have pulled us through this already.. I'm sure you're disappointed

Edited by Big League Choo

6 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

Yeah it's too bad Hilary wasn't at the helm for this disaster. She would have pulled us through this already.. I'm sure you're disappointed

Why are you talking about Hillary?  What does she have to do with anything?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Again, some of us like facts here. Snopes agrees that Trump didn’t call the virus a hoax. Read up. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

• Like 1