bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

This. I'm 26 and have been sheltered in my house for 2 weeks now. No reason to go out even though I'd probably be fine. I would just potentially spread it to others that won't be. While the millenials might not get too sick from this, they are the main transmitters of the virus and them being out and about is a serious danger. The only reason bars clubs and gyms are getting shut down is because the government can't trust millennials to actually listen to the guidance.

Sad but true.  During world war 2, people were lying bout their age because they wanted to go die for their country.  Today, people are sneaking out of their homes to make Tik Tok videos, eat laundry pods and film themselves drive around blindfolded because staying in and watching unlimited movies and tv is too boring.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 5

Trump hasn't been good with the media but we all can agree the media has overhyped his faults (like the fake hoax lie and the fake website lie). Overall, Trump's response in *actions* has been pretty good, IMO. He shut the border down to China in January, well before anyone was panicking. Many people called it a xenophobic move. There's no telling where we would be right now if he didn't do that.

He botched the testing, but I'm not sure what he could've done to fix this. CDC needed to approve private labs for tests, and they took a while, that was the real slow down. Tests are rapidly improving now and there aren't really any reports that people have died because they weren't tested. Its definitely an inconvenience, but it hasn't resulted in a change in the outcome.

If he just never spoke and let doctors handle the press it would be a great thing, but we all know that's impossible. But just judging by actions, I think he's done a good job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Too bad the explanation is not true to what is actually going on in that pic.

Agreed. I’d say this is more accurate:

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Trump hasn't been good with the media but we all can agree the media has overhyped his faults (like the fake hoax lie and the fake website lie). Overall, Trump's response in *actions* has been pretty good, IMO. He shut the border down to China in January, well before anyone was panicking. Many people called it a xenophobic move. There's no telling where we would be right now if he didn't do that.

He botched the testing, but I'm not sure what he could've done to fix this. CDC needed to approve private labs for tests, and they took a while, that was the real slow down. Tests are rapidly improving now and there aren't really any reports that people have died because they weren't tested. Its definitely an inconvenience, but it hasn't resulted in a change in the outcome.

If he just never spoke and let doctors handle the press it would be a great thing, but we all know that's impossible. But just judging by actions, I think he's done a good job.

I mean this is Trumps schtick for years now. He insinuates things without ACTUALLY saying them definitely. Whether he specifically referred to the virus as “a great hoax” in the rally or specifically was referring to the outbreak as the “fake news” that was making the markets go down can be debated forever. What I CAN tell you for sure is that Trumps followers (many of whom I know personally) took it to mean exactly that and dismissed the virus as Democrat hysteria or a democratic hoax to bring him down.  Fox News parroted this view as well as many right wing outlets. Probably millions of Americans acted (and are even still acting) too late because of this messaging and it no doubt will cost a lot of American lives.  Combined with cutting the CDC pandemic team and the absolute debacle over testing and I would say Trump handled this as bad as you possibly can (up until the last few days which are ok). I’ll also say the China flight ban could have been good if he used that six weeks to fully prepare instead of pretending it didn’t exist. So in the end the China flight ban was irrelevant because he squandered it 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

We prefer to berate and ridicule each other mercilessly.

Got it, well carry on then.

Decent read if anyone is looking for some positivity.  Doesn’t seem to really be reported on yet, only reason I found it was due to my wife stumbling across it as the same med is used as part of her lupus treatment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huskies34 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria-pill-chloroquine-tested-as-coronavirus-treatment-2020-3
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but any reason this isn’t being talked about more?  

There’s some hope for chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine, and another antiviral drug called remdesivir. They’re all still early in the phases of testing so we don’t know about safety and efficacy yet. China is also testing huge, daily  doses of IV vitamin C. These clinical trials can take some time to complete before they’d be available for the public, but there’s at least some promise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Baseball before June would be a shocker at this point.

Edited by Hellgrammite
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

My money is on 2021 

• Like 2

Also
"Coronavirus claims 2nd member of N.J. family, four other members remain critical"

46 minutes ago, meh2 said:

There’s some hope for chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine, and another antiviral drug called remdesivir. They’re all still early in the phases of testing so we don’t know about safety and efficacy yet. China is also testing huge, daily  doses of IV vitamin C. These clinical trials can take some time to complete before they’d be available for the public, but there’s at least some promise.

Actually found an nbcnews article on this now - looks like remdesivir clinical trials are already in process here and in China.  Looks like everything else is awaiting FDA approval to start.  

Posted (edited)

Believe me, i understand the severity of the situation, however, it does appear to me that based on the trials and the fact the world is working together for once in an attempt to find a solution to either slow down the virus or eliminate it all together we are heading in a positive direction. Will many more cases/deaths happen before it 'gets better'... 100%.. but, it does appear this may be easier to contain than originally thought.

This article posted regarding chloroquine seems extremely positive, and tbh, not sure why this hasnt been reported on more by news stations..

In other words, i do believe we will see baseball in May.. June at the latest.. likely behind closed doors which is fine with me. I dont quite get the lack of optimism among a few of you who are under the impression we wont see ball till 2021.

Edited by jonninho
spelling error.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I don't want to get too far into partisan politics.  But as far as what actually happened, just the story of the virus, Trump and his people were clearly downplaying it early on.

Sorry for the rhetoric of the tweet but I just wanted to post the clip.

It could have been an honest mistake on their part.  My friends, who are/were big Trump supporters were talking about this virus from the beginning.  My first reaction was, oh yeah, another media scare story. But I changed my opinion well before this point as the facts came in. Plus, I'm neither a professional journalist nor a policy maker so having a jackass opinion without doing any research is less significant when I do it.  Certainly we see, in this thread, people who are still clinging to the narrative that this is all some media fabrication.  And, in fairness, the media set the stage for that by crying wolf for decades over everything from ebola to killer bees.  But, still, it is true that Trump and his adherents dismissed the evidence and downplayed the reality for far too long. Judge them however you like, but that's what happened. 

It's been sort of amazing to watch the Republicans outflank the Democrats on relief since then.  Harris, for example, proposed something like $500 a month for two income households.  Dems have been bogged down on stuff like means testing, which I think you could do at the back end via taxes if some rich people are scummy enough to claim aid they don't need.  Certainly someone could be well off on paper, but crippled by losing their small business. It's too hard to figure out exactly who needs exactly how much on the spot. Ultimately, it's a crisis and if a few people exploit it that's secondary to getting help out there now.  We also need people to be in a position to drive an economic recovery when this is over, which ain't happening if a family of five has to live on 500/mo for 2 months and tons of people are getting evicted/foreclosed. 

Trump did help make the mess, but he is proposing substantial assistance, blocking foreclosures and evictions, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The pandemic began in China. Today, it reported no new local infections for the first time

Also, here's a pretty flexible tool for charting the data on new cases, fatalities, etc. with the ability to drill down by continent and country.  Some more interesting charts:

Total confirmed cases (global)

Total confirmed cases (US)

Mortality rate (global)

Mortality rate (US)

Infections per 100,000 people (global) - note China's steep ascent and leveling off after months of restrictions

Perhaps the most interesting:

Infections per 100,000 people, China, Italy, South Korea, US, UK) - these are all countries that have been notable for differences in how quickly they reacted, and how draconian / lax their restrictions have been.  Interesting trends when you put them all on the same time scale from date of first infection, though geography plays a role here as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Believe me, i understand the severity of the situation, however, it does appear to me that based on the trials and the fact the world is working together for once in an attempt to find a solution to either slow down the virus or eliminate it all together we are heading in a positive direction. Will many more cases/deaths happen before it 'gets better'... 100%.. but, it does appear this may be easier to contain than originally thought.

This article posted regarding chloroquine seems extremely positive, and tbh, not sure why this hasnt been reported on more by news stations..

In other words, i do believe we will see baseball in May.. June at the latest.. likely behind closed doors which is fine with me. I dont quite get the lack of optimism among a few of you who are under the impression we wont see ball till 2021.

I would love to see baseball start in May for sure. I think my pessimism stemmed from Trump himself saying that this may not subside until July or August ( and he is usually a compulsive liar that will say anything to save his behind), so him saying that crossed my mind that this coronavirus is gonna interrupt life here longer than expected.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:18 PM, Rotocious said:

Yeah I heard some bad information on that.  But it's semantics and doesn't change what I said in my post.  There are still many other versions:  SARS, MERS, Ebola and those are just the big ones contagious to humans there are even more that are found in other animals but don't infect humans.

Coronaviruses do not transmit as effectively in warmer weather.  Again this isn't me saying that warm weather will knock it out.  But warm weather will certainly help more so than cold weather.

SARS peaked in May and MERS predominantly spreads in warm climates...

12 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

A thought, not a hard fact.  I’m not a medical professional making claims, but.....

We’re currently testing for those that possibly HAVE the virus.  There is no way of knowing who already has had it.  A B test will eventually be developed that will test antibodies to see if anyone’s already had the virus.  This test should still be a ways off, but should be out much sooner than a vaccine.  Although a b-test won’t eliminate the virus, not necessarily slow,it’s spread, it would still be huge in allowing previously infected (and hence immune) people to stop isolating, go out and work, shop, play baseball.....this could at least take some strain off the economy.

Stay safe everyone.

I have heard conflicting rumors of people being reinfected. Haven’t dug deeply into them but it doesn’t seem like your immunity really lasts all that long to this virus if so. 

11 hours ago, B&F said:

Triage. 

Most people will not need treatment.

Weird they just triaged me having a weak immune system, asthma, and JUST having a major upper respiratory infection bad enough in November to cause visible scarring on my xrays. All they did was take a chest X-ray and tell me not to go to work until all my symptoms are gone for 72 hours. This is in Washington. 

On 3/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, Sidearmer said:

I think this understates it. Probably hundreds of thousands in the U.S. infected but don't know it. Probably above 1 million globally.

There are people with pneumonia right now in Washington at home under self quarantine because it’s not considered ‘bad enough to test yet’.