bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Full on panic mode in Seattle.  My moms company is having everyone work at home for at least 2 weeks.  Legit chance the Mariners season is interrupted!  Good news for fantasy owners is none of these losers were worth Drafting anyway!

Yet Tacoma is holding the high school basketball state tournament right now..

Edited by billofwa

16 hours ago, Wilford Brimley said:

I absolutely agree with this.  I’m not saying this was directed at me, but my disagreement (and possibly others) with a poster’s statement was that it was not a real threat.  It absolutely is (it’s nowhere near a world-ender, it’s a potential big disruptor) and labeling something as such does not equate to hysteria.  I think dismissing minimizes what those working so diligently on our behalf are doing.  But the media is absolutely doing it’s thing.  It reminds me of an old Simpson’s episode.  While I don’t post much I appreciate (and learn a lot from) your posts.  I think your residual effects may be from Space Herpes (Ice Pirates).  I’ll try not to post further on this as we have a bigger threat - 2ndCitySox is dying over this thread!

If you are referring to my statement about coronavirus not being a threat and the hysterics being the threat to the MLB season, then you should probably stop this false narrative of dismissing people's efforts. Just a silly statement to make that was never communicated or inferred -- if you are referring to me, if another poster said that my apologies.

As I said previously huge difference between inherent and mitigated/residual risk. The reason coronavirus is such a low risk and not a threat, is the actual real residual risk which accounts to the response and efforts within the USA, as well as being geographically on the opposite side of the earth from ground zero in China. This strawman argument others have brought up about doing nothing or somehow dismissing efforts is just silly.

But hey if you want to go through the effort of putting coronavirus rules in place for your league go right ahead. I'm not going to waste my time.

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And back to affects on sports and baseball, San Jose Sharks played last night DESPITE calls to cancel the game. As some said earlier, the warm weather could make this a non-issue in the summer, but there could be some issues in April.

It's a guess now whether warmer weather will decrease the outbreak or not.  No one knows one way or the other.  Using a flu model is just a guess.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

These guys fly on private team planes, its not like they are going to crowded airports where they might contract something. The traveling will be fine. If there were any foreign games this year I would have assumed they'd been cancelled. Last year there were games to start the year in Japan, no doubt those would've been postponed if that was this year.

Yeah traveling is just peachy keen because no one has to stay in hotels on the road or eat at restaurants or anything like that.

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's a guess now whether warmer weather will decrease the outbreak or not.  No one knows one way or the other.  Using a flu model is just a guess.

You’re wrong though. Considering UV light kills viruses (flu or otherwise), it’s fact that it will decrease the outbreak. How much can certainly be debated. 

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Considering UV light kills viruses (flu or otherwise)

my new bed.

tanning-beds-cchn.jpg

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah traveling is just peachy keen because no one has to stay in hotels on the road or eat at restaurants or anything like that.

5 star team hotels, probably cleaner than any player's house. Private restaurant parties, where would they be eating if they were home?

Edited by Sidearmer

4 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

5 star team hotels, probably cleaner than any player's house. Private restaurant parties, where would they be eating if they were home?

5 star hotels have other guests and employees.  Tons of both.  Players like to go eat alone of with friends.  They are not going to be rolled around in a giant plastic bubble from place to place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK Viruses don't really care how fancy your accommodations are.  

Moreover, we don't really know ourselves about these things, which is evident with all the disagreement. They are known unknowns.  Some players might know they don't know and just not chance it. Or think they know what they don't know and believe it is the end of the world even if it isn't.

Look at 9/11.  While tragic, in the grand scheme of things a handful of maniacs killed a few thousand people and blew up a couple buildings.  The country was in a state of hysteria for arguably years.  Both parties agreed we should shred the constitution and invade a completely unrelated country.  Not to be overly political about it. Maybe some still think those were justified reactions.  OK, but that's my point. A lot of people are still afraid of terrorism and flying and stuff even though it's a trivial risk compared to driving or food poisoning.

If this stuff is all over the TV and they have daily death toll reports, even IF the players or fans are not really at a very high risk, many will still be afraid.  Their families will beg them to stay home.  And these are people who already have enough money to provide for their families for generations.  

• Like 3

Were MLB games postponed or cancelled due to SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Zika or any other of the flu's that come from China every other year? RIP for those that died and God Bless and heal the ones that have it-but this is only a major deal because of politics in my opinion. 

Always good to hear from the virologists on rotoworld.  Don’t confuse precautions with panic.  People are passing due to this.  Sorry that it’s affected your stocks.  You'll land on your feet 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Were MLB games postponed or cancelled due to SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Zika or any other of the flu's that come from China every other year? RIP for those that died and God Bless and heal the ones that have it-but this is only a major deal because of politics in my opinion. 

Nah... SARS entire worldwide epidemic effected less then 10% of the people currently dealing with Covid alresdy. It was not a huge threat. Bird flu and swine flu were no more deadly than regular flu (perhaps even slightly less so). Zika was mainly a tropical disease and mainly an issue for pregnant women: not a big concern. Ebola is a horrendous disease but it’s incredibly easy to isolate and contain in the first world: that was never getting out of Africa by more than a random case here or there (and it’s not airborne).  This is quite a unique threat in our lifetime

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Nah... SARS entire worldwide epidemic effected less then 10% of the people currently dealing with Covid alresdy. It was not a huge threat. Bird flu and swine flu were no more deadly than regular flu (perhaps even slightly less so). Zika was mainly a tropical disease and mainly an issue for pregnant women: not a big concern. Ebola is a horrendous disease but it’s incredibly easy to isolate and contain in the first world: that was never getting out of Africa by more than a random case here or there (and it’s not airborne).  This is quite a unique threat in our lifetime

Just take 2000mg of Vitamin C per day and wash your hands, this is ridiculous. I just went to a convention in Vegas prior to the travel ban and interacted with hundreds of people straight from China in my industry (and it was also Chinese New year) so there were thousands of Chinese there..and I'm fine. You are being brainwashed, lets get back to baseball

Edited by Redphan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, merlin401 said:

Until next year's unique threat.

2 hours ago, Redphan said:

Just take 2000mg of Vitamin C per day and wash your hands, this is ridiculous. I just went to a convention in Vegas prior to the travel ban and interacted with hundreds of people straight from China in my industry (and it was also Chinese New year) so there were thousands of Chinese there..and I'm fine. You are being brainwashed, lets get back to baseball

This conference? https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/canadian-man-with-covid-19-traveled-to-las-vegas/ 

5 hours ago, Redphan said:

Ignore cable news and listen to experts. While cable news was manufacturing fear about ebola, experts were saying it was no major danger to the first world, as Marlin said.  They always said Zika was a danger to pregnant women, and it was.  From what I've heard, experts are very concerned about this one.  It won't be the end of the world, but it could be quite a big deal that kills thousands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well there you have it.  We just need to ship more oranges to China and the west coast.  Probably a good time to buy Minute Maid stock.

9 hours ago, Redphan said:

Ok well the whole world and all it’s governments and every health industry are all brainwashed except for you, that’s nice.  Not sure who I’m brainwashed by: don’t watch media at all, just read the case reports and statistics generated from the Covid-19 outbreak.  And no I don’t think you and I as young healthy people have much to personally worry about as far as our health

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, StevieStats said:

If you are referring to my statement about coronavirus not being a threat and the hysterics being the threat to the MLB season, then you should probably stop this false narrative of dismissing people's efforts. Just a silly statement to make that was never communicated or inferred -- if you are referring to me, if another poster said that my apologies.

As I said previously huge difference between inherent and mitigated/residual risk. The reason coronavirus is such a low risk and not a threat, is the actual real residual risk which accounts to the response and efforts within the USA, as well as being geographically on the opposite side of the earth from ground zero in China. This strawman argument others have brought up about doing nothing or somehow dismissing efforts is just silly.

But hey if you want to go through the effort of putting coronavirus rules in place for your league go right ahead. I'm not going to waste my time.

I absolutely am referring to you.  I would have tagged you, but you didn't respond when I did so initially.  I also make these arguments as of the day I originally wrote my message.

You stated "Coronavirus is not a real threat. The media hysterics and driving people to a panic is the damage being done."  People buying out everything, such as medical masks is both ridiculous and dangerous.  It's ridiculous that I had to ask my neighbor for toilet paper because it's been sold out around me - that's really not a conversation that I ever wanted to have.

I absolutely agree that that the hysteria is absolutely ridiculous. I agree that right now (and most likely overall) that the hysteria damage is much more that the virus may cause. 

What I disagree with your saying that "Coronavirus is not a real threat."  That is absolutely incorrect and it is insulting to the many devoting so much time and effort combating this threat which you say is not real.  Why are they if it is not real? Are they wasting there time then?  It sounds like it if this is not a real threat according to you.  Again, the hysteria is unwarranted (it never helps with anything) and it is more of a threat right now. 

You can have two threats at the same time.  You can also have a threat and it be a very low risk, especially with many awesome people working hard to keep it so.  China is a threat in many ways, yet there is no need to panic. There is a lot the US does to deal with that threat.  Emerging viruses are a tremendous potential threat.  It's very easy to say something will work out when you are not involved in dealing with it and I hear far too many Americans take things for granted and dismiss many threats that resolve because of hard work by others. 

The bottom line: When you state that something is not real or that it is minor and many people are working hard on it to keep it that way, it's a bit hard not to take it in an insulting manner.

Edited by Wilford Brimley