bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

[ Posts removed.  I tried to be lenient here, but the insipid argument about whether Trump technically called the virus a hoax or not is the exact reason why we have a no politics rule here.  At this point, it's the equivalent of George Costanza's "The card says Moops, Jerry!" moment from Seinfeld.  Regardless of what you believe the intended message is, the word hoax was used, and people can draw their own conclusions from that.  It's time to move on and focus this thread on news updates and discussion of the virus. ]

• Like 4

22 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

unfortunate and sad but this is a rare case.

cases are not really the important part. more important is those that recover compared to die.

I'm not arguing this isn't serious, I'm pushing back on the perception that simply anyone infected is going to result in worst case scenario of death.

I didn't realize cancer was rare. It is only the biggest killer in North America.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Too bad the explanation is not true to what is actually going on in that pic.

15 hours ago, UberRebel said:

and too bad that pic (or at least the incorrect interpretation of it) isn’t actually a close equivalence to the situation. A picture of wolves staying home and not hunting because going out into the wild might mean infecting the elderly in their community at home would be more apt comparison of the conundrum were in

This goes beyond just yelling at people for going out and having fun. It’s also about the impact of restricting people’s ability to provide for their families

Geez guys its just to say how the young/healthy should take care of the elderly/sick lol yall read way to far into it and it took it literal hah

Edited by kmoore1521

Crazy the NBA has tested 8 full teams of fully healthy pro athletes, they must be so at risk! #facepalm

• Like 1

[ More posts removed.  Suspensions incoming for anyone who continues beefing about politics. ]

• Like 1

this thread is skyrocketing toward being locked down..

can we return to discussion about the event itself and take politics and finger-pointing discussion elsewhere?

• Like 2

In regards to the testing, I think the testing availability logjam is about to get better. LabCorp just yesterday got their Phoenix lab and ready to do 6000 tests a day, and I suspect that means that other commercial labs have had the time to go through the setup and validations necessary to dramatically increase their tests/day numbers.  Also the FDA has relaxed several regulations making it easier for smaller hospitals to bring on testing using existing platforms used for other tests.  This will in most cases still take a few weeks to go through validation and get supplies for local labs to get the testing up though. But when that happens the TAT will become same day and not 2-4 days like it is currently. I'm most worried about the swab shortage at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend who is a legit scientist with his own lab and team. He does things like work on curing cancer.

They are now studying COVID-19. Thought I'd share a couple interesting studies/links.

THIS is why you as taxpayers fund basic scientific research. New serological test for COVID-19 now published (by an academic lab, not Pharma). This will allow people to know who's had the virus and, therefore, who can safely re-enter society (work at nursing homes, handle your food, etc.). The speed at which this was accomplished is astounding.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.17.20037713v1?fbclid=IwAR3P_B-yzhifj6WvBoWpdMY8rO3CCtSVEQrHXWCjRrxnbclTqdNUwHHMKLw

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.13.990226v1.full?fbclid=IwAR2s0B8PibXHdvtsdDD7By0Z3PU7sevHbZ92mrlURR6ZoL6U9yzbQgbfrEA

• Like 4

If you are interested in helping and feeling well with no known exposures, one way to help is to give blood.  There is going to be a nationwide shortage, as blood drives have been cancelled and walk in donations have plummeted. Obviously patients with COVID-19 don't need blood, but the baseline need is still there, but the supply has dried up basically overnight with social isolation.  You will probably hear about this more. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s about to be talked about everywhere:

There is hope that this drug and others might be able to treat the symptoms. That could maybe change the timeline with ending this problem that is disrupting our lives and eventually give us baseball again. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s about to be talked about everywhere:

See positivity people...you can all thank me now 😁

In all honesty though, I hope all these possible remedies are pushed through at a much faster pace in order to calm the fears of this thing taking a toll on our medical system (more than it already has) and treat people at a much faster pace.

I think if we do have some sort of treatment option that is available we have a good shot a baseball at some point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluefrogguy said:

In regards to the testing, I think the testing availability logjam is about to get better. LabCorp just yesterday got their Phoenix lab and ready to do 6000 tests a day, and I suspect that means that other commercial labs have had the time to go through the setup and validations necessary to dramatically increase their tests/day numbers.  Also the FDA has relaxed several regulations making it easier for smaller hospitals to bring on testing using existing platforms used for other tests.  This will in most cases still take a few weeks to go through validation and get supplies for local labs to get the testing up though. But when that happens the TAT will become same day and not 2-4 days like it is currently. I'm most worried about the swab shortage at this point. 

I wonder at what point given this is surely the 1st of many labs that will be capable of performing so many tests at once if we are now heading towards the flat curve we are all hoping to hit sooner rather than later.. it is only at this point can we contemplate a return to normalcy.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

There is hope that this drug and others might be able to treat the symptoms. That could maybe change the timeline with ending this problem that is disrupting our lives and eventually give us baseball again. Fingers crossed.

At the end of the day, there are many powerful people loosing millions of dollars with the loss of sport through out the globe. This goes beyond N.America. We're talking European soccer club owners who are more 'powerful' globally than many of these American businessmen. They all want to resolve this ASAP so their pockets can be flooded with paper bills again. I believe we are going to see baseball among other sports much sooner than anticipated.

Good on Trump. Honestly, for all the hate he receives (deservedly so) there are moments he uses his head.

Just now, jonninho said:

I wonder at what point given this is surely the 1st of many labs that will be capable of performing so many tests at once if we are now heading towards the flat curve we are all hoping to hit sooner rather than later.. it is only at this point can we contemplate a return to normalcy.

Testing doesn't bring about the flat curve directly.  It will show up way way more cases than has ever been suspected to date.  But that helps with the treatment and shows hot spots which in turn will help in the end.  But the real help is self isolating as much as possible as the wave passes through the population.

Meanwhile they announced today that 40% of all chronovirus hospitalization in the US are for people 20-55 years of age so so much for younger people being "safe" from it.  Meanwhile the party animals at spring break are hellbent on keeping the spreading of the virus going at full speed ahead.  As long as selfish, small-minded people are busy being Typhoid Marys and running around spreading this virus we won't see any flattening of the curve.  Stopping bad behavior will stop the virus continuing to spike more than anything else.

PS: A shout-out to Italy where, despite it being the hardest hit country in Europe, their citizens have remained disciplined so much so that there is PLENTY of toilet paper left for everyone.  Of ALL the weird things we Americans have done in reaction to this crisis the weirdest is nation-wide toilet paper hoarding.  Why???????

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Testing doesn't bring about the flat curve directly.  It will show up way way more cases than has ever been suspected to date.  But that helps with the treatment and shows hot spots which in turn will help in the end.  But the real help is self isolating as much as possible as the wave passes through the population.

Meanwhile they announced today that 40% of all chronovirus hospitalization in the US are for people 20-55 years of age so so much for younger people being "safe" from it.  Meanwhile the party animals at spring break are hellbent on keeping the spreading of the virus going at full speed ahead.  As long as selfish, small-minded people are busy being Typhoid Marys and running around spreading this virus we won't see any flattening of the curve.  Stopping bad behavior will stop the virus continuing to spike more than anything else.

PS: A shout-out to Italy where, despite it being the hardest hit country in Europe, their citizens have remained disciplined so much so that there is PLENTY of toilet paper left for everyone.  Of ALL the weird things we Americans have done in reaction to this crisis the weirdest is nation-wide toilet paper hoarding.  Why???????

Yeah that is bizzare. I think everyone here was deathly afraid of having mud butt apparently.

So theoretically.  Let’s say the reports are true and this is lasting until august at the earliest and 1.5 years (vaccine) at the latest.  Any chance baseball plays DURING the pandemic? Without crowds? Maybe not, as they’re already talking about eliminating the draft....

2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

So theoretically.  Let’s say the reports are true and this is lasting until august at the earliest and 1.5 years (vaccine) at the latest.  Any chance baseball plays DURING the pandemic? Without crowds? Maybe not, as they’re already talking about eliminating the draft....

That is an interesting question. I mean, it is technically possible, but all players/staff would have to buy into knowing no body but your team and not being away from your team during the course of the season. Doctors will have to be on hand at all times to continously monitor the players/staff, but, it is possible, just not likely to be played during the pandemic i dont believe..

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I am in Canada. We did the same thing. I dont get it. The world is ending and the 1st thing we as a population thought of was toilet paper? cuz i mean, the ancient times people were using toilet paper. Im sure all the soliders in the wars were using toilet paper and fighting with clean butts. Man, what a sad people we have. I mean, hands and water isnt good enough for us to clean our asses?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I just don't really see it lasting 1.5 years.  Either we've essentially all gotten it by winter or its slowed down enough to be manageable by health care since so many people are immune (having recovered)

12 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

I just don't really see it lasting 1.5 years.  Either we've essentially all gotten it by winter or its slowed down enough to be manageable by health care since so many people are immune (having recovered)

I dont understand where this belief that we become immune to it if we have it had and recovered has come from. As someone else pointed out earlier, for those of who have had the flu and/or gotten the flu shot.. we still get the flu.. we are not immune to the flu.. why is this any different? I dont think we are immune to COVID-19 if we have had it and recovered from it.

2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I dont understand where this belief that we become immune to it if we have it had and recovered has come from. As someone else pointed out earlier, for those of who have had the flu and/or gotten the flu shot.. we still get the flu.. we are not immune to the flu.. why is this any different? I dont think we are immune to COVID-19 if we have had it and recovered from it.

3 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I have a friend who is a legit scientist with his own lab and team. He does things like work on curing cancer.

They are now studying COVID-19. Thought I'd share a couple interesting studies/links.

THIS is why you as taxpayers fund basic scientific research. New serological test for COVID-19 now published (by an academic lab, not Pharma). This will allow people to know who's had the virus and, therefore, who can safely re-enter society (work at nursing homes, handle your food, etc.). The speed at which this was accomplished is astounding.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.17.20037713v1?fbclid=IwAR3P_B-yzhifj6WvBoWpdMY8rO3CCtSVEQrHXWCjRrxnbclTqdNUwHHMKLw

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.13.990226v1.full?fbclid=IwAR2s0B8PibXHdvtsdDD7By0Z3PU7sevHbZ92mrlURR6ZoL6U9yzbQgbfrEA