bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Las Vegas is Closed so

 

13 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Meanwhile, in Vegas...

spacer.png


 

Not completely lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

So theoretically.  Let’s say the reports are true and this is lasting until august at the earliest and 1.5 years (vaccine) at the latest.  Any chance baseball plays DURING the pandemic? Without crowds? Maybe not, as they’re already talking about eliminating the draft....

 

If it levels off like in China and S Korea.... maybe.  But the thought is once social distancing lessens and people stop washing their hands so religiously, we will have outbreaks since such a large of the population has a naive immune system and we won't be able to eradicate the disease. And one outbreak could set the whole process back into motion again, especially since there is such a long asymptomatic period where people spread everywhere.  

I guess we wait to see if these short term public health efforts do and then reassess. But until there is a vaccine or the majority of the population is exposed and we get herd immunity, or if some sort of treatment emerges, its going to be a long year and a half.  If there was ever a time for human  ingenuity to come through, its now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking the “sold” listings on eBay and seeing people selling (and buying) 8 rolls of toilet paper for $70 makes me sad. 
 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=toilet+paper&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtoile.TRS0&_fsrp=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=soto+2018+topps+update+psa+10&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sacat=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Checking the “sold” listings on eBay and seeing people selling (and buying) 8 rolls of toilet paper for $70 makes me sad. 
 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=toilet+paper&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtoile.TRS0&_fsrp=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=soto+2018+topps+update+psa+10&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sacat=0

I wonder if the powers that be haven taken the items off, because I clicked on several of those items and says its is not available.

Or people are buying them.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charger_ss24 said:

I wonder if the powers that be haven taken the items off, because I clicked on several of those items and says its is not available.

Or people are buying them.🙄

Yeah this is sold listings. Not available anymore because bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Testing doesn't bring about the flat curve directly.  It will show up way way more cases than has ever been suspected to date.  But that helps with the treatment and shows hot spots which in turn will help in the end.  But the real help is self isolating as much as possible as the wave passes through the population.

Meanwhile they announced today that 40% of all chronovirus hospitalization in the US are for people 20-55 years of age so so much for younger people being "safe" from it.  Meanwhile the party animals at spring break are hellbent on keeping the spreading of the virus going at full speed ahead.  As long as selfish, small-minded people are busy being Typhoid Marys and running around spreading this virus we won't see any flattening of the curve.  Stopping bad behavior will stop the virus continuing to spike more than anything else.

PS: A shout-out to Italy where, despite it being the hardest hit country in Europe, their citizens have remained disciplined so much so that there is PLENTY of toilet paper left for everyone.  Of ALL the weird things we Americans have done in reaction to this crisis the weirdest is nation-wide toilet paper hoarding.  Why???????

 

I saw those statistics. I have to say 20-55 is a BIG age range. If you sat down a 20 year old next to a 55 year old, they would have little in common. Could 95% of the hospitalizations in that age bracket occur between 50 and 55? Probably not -- but it's almost as if there's a narrative to be spun. Some young people may be acting recklessly and it's been determined the social distancing for the sake of the vulnerable message is not always sinking in -- so the media is trying a new approach. 

Edited by IceGoat
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

I wonder if the powers that be haven taken the items off, because I clicked on several of those items and says its is not available.

Or people are buying them.🙄

 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah this is sold listings. Not available anymore because bought.


 

very disappointing. 
 

on the bright side I’ve seen folks in my local neighborhoods offering up their supplies to others who are in need. 👍🏼

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing Tokyo Olympics are close to being cancelled.   

 

Baseball won't be far after....

 

Start preparing for a lost season folks :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, Chris Sale elects to have TJ possibly another sign that the season is likely lost...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigbossman said:

Hearing Tokyo Olympics are close to being cancelled.   

 

Baseball won't be far after....

 

Start preparing for a lost season folks :(

 

Well, the Olympics are an international affair. It's not just where one competing country stands in its fight against the disease but where everyone does. The cancellation of the Olympics isn't necessarily ominous for baseball. Before I was wondering why the Olympics would not be pushed back a year? There would still be a three year gap before the next one. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IceGoat said:

 

Well, the Olympics are an international affair. It's not just where one competing country stands in its fight against the disease but where everyone does. The cancellation of the Olympics isn't necessarily ominous for baseball. Before I was wondering why the Olympics would not be pushed back a year? There would still be a three year gap before the next one. 

I would tend to agree with you on this. The Olympics is asking the entire world to come together in one spot. Baseball is not. Theres quite a big difference between the two and i dont see or understand why the cancellation of the Olympics would directly affect MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Hearing Tokyo Olympics are close to being cancelled.   

 

Baseball won't be far after....

 

Start preparing for a lost season folks :(

I disagree with your outlook on this. 100%. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I would tend to agree with you on this. The Olympics is asking the entire world to come together in one spot. Baseball is not. Theres quite a big difference between the two and i dont see or understand why the cancellation of the Olympics would directly affect MLB.

 

Well mainly because it means that the WHO, etc. anticipates that it still won't be safe for large groups of people to congregate given that we don't have a vaccine yet...

Edited by bigbossman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbossman said:

 

Well mainly because it means that they WHO, etc. anticipates that it still won't be safe for large groups of people to congregate given that we don't have a vaccine yet...

 

The only WHO I care about is who's on first. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

 

The only WHO I care about is who's on first. 

 

Might be a while until we can answer that question....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigbossman said:

 

Well mainly because it means that the WHO, etc. anticipates that it still won't be safe for large groups of people to congregate given that we don't have a vaccine yet...

I get that, but, again, the Olympics and MLB are two different animals. Ultimately, i guess the Olympics could run without fans, but, considering how much money it costs to stage an Olympic games, i would say there is 0% chance that they would allow that to happen. Beyond that, the draw of an Olympic games outweighs a Major League Baseball game, and beyond that, the MLB could in theory run the season behind closed doors. They would still profit off the sale of merchandise (which would happen regardless if theres games/if fans can attend) and off the major TV deals each of their clubs owns.

I would also suggest the higher ups who run the sports books may have a slight say in how things operate too (if there is a season or not).. i truly do believe this element goes a little under the radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbossman said:

 

Might be a while until we can answer that question....

I truly believe we see baseball sometime in May. The positive news we are hearing about both potential cures (malaria medicines) as well as the dramatic increase in labs through the USA that can test upto 6000 people a day is definitely a big step in the right direction.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonninho said:

I truly believe we see baseball sometime in May. The positive news we are hearing about both potential cures (malaria medicines) as well as the dramatic increase in labs through the USA that can test upto 6000 people a day is definitely a big step in the right direction.

 

Hope you are right but I'll take the under...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonninho said:

I truly believe we see baseball sometime in May. The positive news we are hearing about both potential cures (malaria medicines) as well as the dramatic increase in labs through the USA that can test upto 6000 people a day is definitely a big step in the right direction.

IMO This season is lost. I read one of your post about playing behind closed doors. I don’t see that working. If one player is infected and he has no symptoms don’cha think others could be compromised? Players honestly probably don’t even want to chance playing and why risk there own family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

IMO This season is lost. I read one of your post about playing behind closed doors. I don’t see that working. If one player is infected and he has no symptoms don’cha think others could be compromised? Players honestly probably don’t even want to chance playing and why risk there own family. 

Why would it not work?

I mean, ultimately, all players and staff would likely require a quarantine period along with testing done prior to the start of the season beginning, at which point, i dont see it out of the realm of possibilities that they have super strict policies within the teams (ex. teams not able to leave hotel/travel together, etc.). Assuming all players are deemed safe and none have the Corona virus at that point in time, why cant they play behind closed doors? There would be an extremely limited amount of people within the ball parks at that point (broad cast team? players? umpires? ground crew may not be required to be honest.. and if so, will continue social distancing during that time period the game takes place)

I do agree with you though about the possibility of players not wanting to chance it. I do question though the athlete in them? At some point, it just eats at you and you want the competition. Beyond that, who knows if they are getting paid? If playing is the only way they get paid.. they may have to? Not all players are financially responsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is sad to see. Ten (10!) pages of obituaries in an Italian newspaper.

2F7FB5BE-332D-4D20-B769-6602C64482F8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IceGoat said:

 

I saw those statistics. I have to say 20-55 is a BIG age range. If you sat down a 20 year old next to a 55 year old, they would have little in common. Could 95% of the hospitalizations in that age bracket occur between 50 and 55? Probably not -- but it's almost as if there's a narrative to be spun. Some young people may be acting recklessly and it's been determined the social distancing for the sake of the vulnerable message is not always sinking in -- so the media is trying a new approach. 

100% of hospitalized patients are between the ages of 0 and 130

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a strong possibility that this becomes a yearly thing? Do I have to worry about a 2021 Coronavirus Outlook thread?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korean and Japanese baseball is gearing up now. It would be badass if ESPN (etc.) showed some games. Maybe ESPN 2. Maybe ESPN the Ocho. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.