bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

There is some justifiable skepticism toward HCQ, and that "study" (which is a research paper, not a study):

Gregory Poland is a professor of medicine and infectious diseases at the Mayo Clinic. He's the director of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine research group.

"I would urge us to take these with a grain of salt," he tells Inverse regarding the hype around chloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19. "Until randomized clinical trials are published we can't tell if it's anecdote. Is it due to some unforeseen or improbable set of circumstances?"

"The medical literature is littered with tens of thousands of case reports like this where there is a claim of efficacy only to fall apart when randomized clinical trials are done."

... When the document was first released on Friday, March 13, there were three co-authors on the document, including Thomas Broker, a professor of biochemistry and molecular genetics at the University of Alabama. Broker's name has since been removed.

He calls the Google document "a pastiche of previous published research articles and recent news reports." He also tells Inverse that his name had been "gratuitously attached" to the document.

"I asked the actual authors to remove my name. I am glad that they did," he says.

"I neither contributed to, wrote any part of, nor had advance knowledge of this google.com document. I have never conducted research on RNA virus pathogens," Broker confirms.

... In essence, the Google document doesn't present any new information. Instead, it highlights the fact that chloroquine has been used in other countries as a possible COVID-19 treatment, and has a history as an anti-viral.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

my apologies if posted already.... but this is important

apparently there is a possible cure for the Chinese Virus called HCQ.  very respected doctor in France has used it on 6 people with chinese corona virus and after 6 days all 6 patients tested negative.  apparently whitehouse is pushing this through.  i think the season will start early june

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/malaria-drug-sees-promising-signs-as-future-coronavirus-treatment

https://drive.google.com/file/d/186Bel9RqfsmEx55FDum4xY_IlWSHnGbj/view

I read Doctor Fauci doesn’t put much faith in that drug. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

could care less if further testing shows its curing people with the virus. also link?

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

There is some justifiable skepticism toward HCQ, and that "study" (which is a research paper, not a study):

Judging anything based on a sample size of 6 is clearly flawed, but what I don’t understand is where is the data from China and South Korea? They’ve been using it for awhile now, so shouldn’t we be able to compile evidence and move this along faster? We already know the drug is safe (I realize all drugs have side effects) and we already know it’s readily available and cheap. The longer the FDA takes here, the more people are going to die and if this drug is truly effective it’ll be tragic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I think it's more the fact that he wants some more studies done to prove it's effectiveness:

Hemmer also asked Fauci his opinion of the drug hydroxychloroquine after he appeared to tamp down President Trump's optimism about the drug's potential to treat coronavirus during an earlier briefing.

"I'm not dismissing it at all, and I hope that interpretation wasn't widespread," the doctor answered, but added that there was "no definitieve proof it works."

"So what we need to do is get it availablle but do it in the context of a protocol ... I wasn't dismissing, I was saying we would be careful."

• Thanks 1

I’m so tired of this stupid virus and we have at least another 3 months to go 

• Like 3

At my major hospital that I work, we have tested ~3000 for the virus since last weekend. We are under 3% positive rate right now. That data doesn't really mean a lot at this point unfortunately. I think that we are still a couple weeks away from getting any accurate stats due to the incubation period of Covid-19. We are collaborating with another local major hospital and outside labs to accomplish all of the drive-thru and in-house testing. We have more testing instruments on the way to go in very soon on the east and west side of the city center at our regional hospitals to attempt to double output. We are running them 24/7. We have seen a great outpouring from the community here. We even have local paint and construction companies offering their N95 masks up. We are getting our temperatures taken as we walk in to the hospital to start work now. We have restricted visitation to one person and ONLY for pediatrics, labor and delivery, and end-of-life events (end-of-life may be negotiable depending on circumstances). I am on call (not a doctor or nurse, just an IT nerd for the labs that run the test) around the clock beat this. Please stay home if possible. I can't/wouldn't stay home. My wife works an essential job at the hospital as well and she is much more in the line of fire than me. Be safe and I look forward to getting some baseball in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

For a temporary distraction from Coronavirus news:

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

My oldest daughter at about 13 was at an Indians game with her younger brother and I. He was 8. He was begging for a ball every inning like the rest of the kids at the side of the wall. We were in left field close to the line and sitting down (except my 13 year old daughter who was shopping and couldn't care less about baseball). She found a shop that would put her name on a sweatshirt or something for $50. She decides to go for it and ask me to get one and comes down the stairs from the home-run porch and Wilson Betemit turned on one and pulled one foul off the top of the overhanging restaurant. Tip drill through the crowd ensued until it literally landed in her hands. My son has the ball and it cost me $50 for a sweatshirt.

Edited by drunkb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its crazy how this thing started across the world in China.  And how quickly it has spread almost across the world.  From almost a small population of people exposed to it and now billions at risk everywhere. From China to a small town in Nebraska or whatever.

Posted (edited)

China has a significant population in the US and Canada. Pacific Northwest is a hotspot for Asian moguls to purchase property. I don't know the numbers on British Columbia for this, but I think that they may be disproportionate like Washington state. There is no reason to think that this cant reach the podunkiest towns with family members in contact. Think of New York City and the population. It is too late too worry about that now. Stay alive and take precautions. Food ain't going away. TP is manufactured in the US and Mexico. That isn't either. Only go out as needed and we will have a fighting chance.

Edited by drunkb

17 hours ago, Rotocious said:

Again causation and correlation aren't always the same thing. 

I've heard many experts say there is no reason to think this virus will act any differently than coronaviruses (not just viruses in general but they specifically have been saying coronaviruses) of the past when it comes to warm weather.

Yes April is warmer than March and the cases and deaths will be higher.  But not because of the warmer weather but because there was more time for the infection to compound.

Again we would be in such a worse position if this was October/November and we were looking ahead to Dec, Jan, Feb.  Luckily we are on the other side of winter or this could have been much worse.

Now you want to make the argument there are more gatherings in the summer time to possibly increase the rate of infection I can say there's merit to that argument.  But people need to stop acting like this virus is different from other viruses that it won't be "weaker" (less efficient may be a better term) in the warmer weather.

You realize both SARS and MERS are coronaviruses right? You ever get a cold during the summer? Also one. You know what else is horrible about coronaviruses? Your protection in the form of antibodies usually weaken to the point you can get reinfected years later with the same virus. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:45 PM, Huskies34 said:

Bad idea. Will ruin your body. Hydroxychloroquin is probably a better solution. But still not tested properly.

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

You realize both SARS and MERS are coronaviruses right? You ever get a cold during the summer? Also one. You know what else is horrible about coronaviruses? Your protection in the form of antibodies usually weaken to the point you can get reinfected years later with the same virus. 

I an struggling to understand the point you're trying to make?...

53 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

I an struggling to understand the point you're trying to make?...

The point is this is a coronavirus just like them. There are 7 total coronaviruses. 4 are your common cold. SARS, MERS and Covid-19 are the deadlier forms and out of the deadlier forms two are already known to do pretty well in warmer climates. Assume the third in that group will as well until there is actual evidence to the contrary. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In evenings, I've enjoyed listening to classic games from the "MLB Vault" on YouTube. The other night the Pirates beat the Orioles 2-1 in Game 7 to win the 1971 World Series, and it was pretty damn exciting!

Much like my usual routine of listening to MLB games and other sports on the TuneIn app on my phone in evenings while working around the house or garage. Not the real thing, but better than listening to the news. 

Edited by AdvRider

3 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Bad idea. Will ruin your body. Hydroxychloroquin is probably a better solution. But still not tested properly.

Please expand. I am assuming you have knowledge about the drug to make such a claim.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Did you actually read the article? Basically only hydroxycholoquine is mentioned as a treatment possibility - in the title because trump mentioned both - assuming he doesn’t know the difference between the side effects of both and that choloquine itself is only used in instances where hydroxycholoquine cannot be used -  at least in lupus patients, as that is my only experience as my wife uses hydroxycholoquine for that purpose.

Edited by Huskies34

43 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Please expand. I am assuming you have knowledge about the drug to make such a claim.

From what I know (and I am a CPA, not an doctor of any sort) HQC is a less toxic form of QC, which is why QC is only used when HQC cannot be used.  One of the big issues has to do eye issues - can cause irreversible damage.  Even with HQC, my wife had to have an eye exam before starting the medication to make sure there were no issues before use and also is checked for changes annually.

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

The point is this is a coronavirus just like them. There are 7 total coronaviruses. 4 are your common cold. SARS, MERS and Covid-19 are the deadlier forms and out of the deadlier forms two are already known to do pretty well in warmer climates. Assume the third in that group will as well until there is actual evidence to the contrary. 

Not sure about this. First off there are many viruses that we lump together as being “the common cold”.  Coronavirus account for about 20% of those cases and are indeed more prevalent in winter.  So I think the jury is still very much out on Covid-19 and the warm weather. Not a great sign that it seems to be taking off in Brazil and Malaysia right now though 

This is becoming the Christine Michael thread where the corona virus is Christine Michael. 

56 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

N.J. man with suspected case of coronavirus says anti-malaria drug is helping him recover http://nj-ne.ws/Q0LhuuE

Still a long way to go, but very promising news if i must say so myself.

Baseball in May? 

• Haha 4