bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

28 minutes ago, CAT said:

Science is *NOT* about projections.  Science *IS* about generating actual data, and analyzing that data and making conclusions BASED ON DATA.  Not opinions.

You realize the contradiction just in the above quote?  You say science isn't about projecting then you go ahead and describe projecting.

Furthermore it isn't my opinion that immune systems are stronger in warmer weather.  It also isn't my opinion that virus are weakened if not destroyed by UV light.  Not sure if you're talking to discuss to get this right or just say anything to be right.

I'm done beating this dead horse.  Either you get the point or you don't by now.  It's fairly nuance but yes warmer weather is a good thing.  No I dont think it's going to go away because it's warmer.  Yes a expect cases to continue to rise thru April.

29 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

True.  I honestly think in the next 2 weeks they're going to say America did a really good job with this whole thing and flattened the hell out of that curve.

Press x to doubt!!! What’s the point in only a handful of states having a lockdown they don’t enforce anyway and with a million exceptions.  But hopefully you are right 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

You realize the contradiction just in the above quote?  You say science isn't about projecting then you go ahead and describe projecting.

Furthermore it isn't my opinion that immune systems are stronger in warmer weather.  It also isn't my opinion that virus are weakened if not destroyed by UV light.  Not sure if you're talking to discuss to get this right or just say anything to be right.

I'm done beating this dead horse.  Either you get the point or you don't by now.  It's fairly nuance but yes warmer weather is a good thing.  No I dont think it's going to go away because it's warmer.  Yes a expect cases to continue to rise thru April.

STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

Immune systems are stronger in warmer weather??  Could you provide me a link to a *significant* scientific paper that makes that conclusion?  No?  OK...I'll tell you how it actually works.  Infectious diseases spread more readily in cold weather primarily because we spend more time indoors with the windows closed, in dry, artificially heated environments, often with other people.  Also, are you referring to the UV light from the sun?  There is not nearly enough UV light from the sun to affect a virus, and even if there were, the number of sunny days in the spring/summer as opposed to the fall/winter is not all that different.  Remember...it rains and is cloudy on plenty of days in the spring/summer.  But that's an aside...the fact of the matter is UV from the sun is not strong enough to significantly affect a virus.

This is my last post to you as you are simply looking to argue using your own opinion-based "logic".  I am basing my opinions on expert opinion as well as my own experience in science.  You, on the other hand, are basing your opinion on things you've seen on Facebook and Politifact, lol. 

Edited by CAT
  • Like 3

People are less likely to drain their immune system in warmer weather in the sense that when you expose your body to cold your body fights extra hard to keep itself warm thus lowering immunity. That’s why the old saying some Mom’s are known for “put a coat on, you’ll catch a cold”. The cold itself doesn’t cause you to get sick but if you run around outside in the cold without being properly dressed, you’re immune system is stressed making you more at risk to get sick (if you come in contact with germs/virus/etc.) while your immunity is suppressed. 

With that in mind, one can run down their immunity in a variety of ways in ANY weather. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, CAT said:

STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

Immune systems are stronger in warmer weather??  Could you provide me a link to a *significant* scientific paper that makes that conclusion?  No?  OK...I'll tell you how it actually works.  Infectious diseases spread more readily in cold weather primarily because we spend more time indoors with the windows closed, in dry, artificially heated environments, often with other people.  Also, are you referring to the UV light from the sun?  There is not nearly enough UV light from the sun to affect a virus, and even if there were, the number of sunny days in the spring/summer as opposed to the fall/winter is not all that different.  Remember...it rains and is cloudy on plenty of days in the spring/summer.  But that's an aside...the fact of the matter is UV from the sun is not strong enough to significantly affect a virus.

This is my last post to you as you are simply looking to argue using your own opinion-based "logic".  I am basing my opinions on expert opinion as well as my own experience in science.  You, on the other hand, are basing your opinion on things you've seen on Facebook and Politifact, lol. 

You clearly are no expert please stop with that anecdote.  Don't try to trump someone's point with a made up story.  Use facts use sound logic.

You are wrong about UV rays trying to say they are basically the same in the winter as summer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280232/

You are wrong about people's immune systems.  This is known fact the above post does a great job of explaining it.

But your arguementitive stance to try to prove me wrong only further proves the point as to why the spread would be worse in the winter as opposed to the summer.

Edited by Rotocious
  • Like 2

[ It's several volleys past the "agree to disagree time", guys. Let's move on. ]

A Beaumont doctor spread lies bout the status of the virus to scare people. What an absolute loser. I hope he ends up getting his license suspended or worse. Here is the original letter:

daiay271hyn41.jpg

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

A Beaumont doctor spread lies bout the status of the virus to scare people. What an absolute loser. I hope he ends up getting his license suspended or worse. Here is the original letter:

daiay271hyn41.jpg

150 million people will have it in the next 10-14 days... Yeah a little aggressive I'd say.  I'm hearing experts say that 50-70% of America will be infected without before there is a vaccine.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

I prefer to use Steamer for my coronavirus projections 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

150 million people will have it in the next 10-14 days... Yeah a little aggressive I'd say.  I'm hearing experts say that 50-70% of America will be infected without before there is a vaccine.

Beaumont's ICU also isn't full and they aren't seeing this hit young people like he warns. It was fabricated as a scare tactic.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The problem with the idea of a "full draconian lockdown" in the United States is that it is impossible. Enforcement would be too difficult and put the enforcers and those enforced into dangerous situations that could escalate into pure chaos. 

You think people are freaking out now? Order martial law and see that this is only the tip of the iceberg 

Draconian means excessively harsh or severe. China’s measures are being described in just about everything I’ve read as being draconian, but how do we know they’re excessive? They’re very strict but I wouldn’t call them excessive if they’re working. They’re the only measures that seem to work against this virus. 

• Like 1

We finally found the one good thing about authoritarian regimes.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Why is everyone being so pessimistic about the season starting mid May??? Our hospitals are likely getting creamed right now... but the CDC recommendation is for no gatherings of 50 people for eight weeks, and them playing in empty stadiums would be optimal for the public for the entire season. It's totally possible that the curve is down around that time of the recommendation, even though the USA was slow to respond. We can't be completely holed up in our houses for the entire year as eventually we'll just run out of supplies and the economic impact will kill more people than the virus itself.

Also, I have been self isolating before my state even ordered shelter in place, so I do think this is a serious situation...

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Why is everyone being so pessimistic about the season starting mid May??? Our hospitals are likely getting creamed right now... but the CDC recommendation is for no gatherings of 50 people for eight weeks, and them playing in empty stadiums would be optimal for the public for the entire season. It's totally possible that the curve is down around that time of the recommendation, even though the USA was slow to respond. We can't be completely holed up in our houses for the entire year as eventually we'll just run out of supplies and the economic impact will kill more people than the virus itself.

Also, I have been self isolating before my state even ordered shelter in place, so I do think this is a serious situation...

Please, do not say baseball in Mid-May in this forum.. i have done so multiple times and have received rather pessimistic responses.

I have said and stand by my prediction of baseball in May at some point.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Please, do not say baseball in Mid-May in this forum.. i have done so multiple times and have received rather pessimistic responses.

Baseball in Mid-May, just kidding 😄

20 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Not only that, but a full season as well....Play into Thanksgiving (neutral WS site, if necessary due to weather), get rid of the All-Star break and sprinkle in some DH's throughout the year.  I'm with you, my dude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJdude said:

Not only that, but a full season as well....Play into Thanksgiving (neutral WS site, if necessary due to weather), get rid of the All-Star break and sprinkle in some DH's throughout the year.  I'm with you, my dude.

Please this. It would make this year slightly better.

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

May?? I don't think we have a season at all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

May?? I don't think we have a season at all

Why do you even think that???? Japan and Korea are now starting their seasons. Are we gonna be completely hunkered down completely for the next 18 months? That's not doable. The reason we are being quarantined now is to slow the rate of spread of the virus as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Eventually things will calm down and we can start the MLB season with no fans in the stands.

15 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Why do you even think that???? Japan and Korea are now starting their seasons. Are we gonna be completely hunkered down completely for the next 18 months? That's not doable. The reason we are being quarantined now is to slow the rate of spread of the virus as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Eventually things will calm down and we can start the MLB season with no fans in the stands.

Japan and Korea didn't waste as much time as we did. We are only like 8 days behind Italy. Restaurants in a lot of different parts of the country are still open along with other businesses as well 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

bc we sucked with our response compared to Japan and Korea.  And that’s all there is to it.  And im not blaming any particular politician- we as a whole as a nation (federal, local, and individuals)- failed.  Too slow, not taking it serious, not enough testing, not enough shutdown.  I would be highly shocked if we have baseball again this year 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Let me know when the Italian sports leagues are going to resume because our measures to contain this virus are nothing like what S Korea, China, and Japan did. Our country as a whole has underestimated this virus from day one and continues to do so.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Let me know when the Italian sports leagues are going to resume because our measures to contain this virus are nothing like what S Korea, China, and Japan did. Our country as a whole has underestimated this virus from day one and continues to do so.

no we havent underestimated it. and again....as a matter of fact Trump was called racist for closing travel to and from China early on.  they are also completely turning people away from the southern AND northern border.  Travel from EU stopped.

the HCQ/A drug is curing 99.75% of cases.  this is media hysteria combined with Swampy "Doctors" who work for the big pharm companies and love big government grants (that Tonycpu believes lol) trying to dismiss this drug.

Multiple controlled studies, the most significant one authored by Dr. Didier Rauolt in southern France, have seen that 99.75 percent cure rate be matched over and over.

Lennox Hill Hospital in New York has even adopted the HydroxyChloroquine formula, and they have yet to lose even a single victim to COVID-19 of their more than 100 cases that they are treating. 100 for 100!!!!! id draft those numbers over Trout and Acuna!

Edited by jfazz23

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

no we havent underestimated it. and again....as a matter of fact Trump was called racist for closing travel to and from China early on.  they are also completely turning people away from the southern AND northern border.  Travel from EU stopped.

the HCQ/A drug is curing 99.75% of cases.  this is media hysteria combined with Swampy "Doctors" who work for the big pharm companies and love big government grants (that Tonycpu believes lol) trying to dismiss this drug.

Multiple controlled studies, the most significant one authored by Dr. Didier Rauolt in southern France, have seen that 99.75 percent cure rate be matched over and over.

Lennox Hill Hospital in New York has even adopted the HydroxyChloroquine formula, and they have yet to lose even a single victim to COVID-19 of their more than 100 cases that they are treating. 100 for 100!!!!! id draft those numbers over Trout and Acuna!

Im not following this stuff to the degree you are, I think, so would you mind giving sources for these claims? Cause they contradict the experts who are predicting 80% of Americans are gonna get it, etc 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

the HCQ/A drug is curing 99.75% of cases

It's always funny how the confidence with which people state research findings that would normally be the top breaking news story everywhere but somehow THE MAN DOESN'T WANT YOU TO READ varies in inverse proportion to their willingness to cite said findings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1