bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

I will say the mainstream media never called it a hoax but they keep claiming we are right behind Italy and that's just fear mongering.  Which maybe it is helping people take it even more serious or make people think twice about breaking the shelter in place. 

Now Trump and The GOP called it a hoax for nearly 2 months.  It's almost poetic justice when a bunch of the people at CPAC were making fun of the virus calling it a hoax ended up getting it.

Well we are just behind Italy with the timeline.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ Guys, we went around the block several times on the hoax thing.  Let's move on. ]

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonycpsu said:

 

Not true.  A few things to consider.

 

1.  America has taken this much more serious than Italy did.  I heard they gave out over 200,000 citations.

2.  America has better hospitals and lesser population density.  So our spread will subside more from social distancing than Italy's and it will take longer for our hospitals to be at capacity.

3.  Italy's death rate is currently 9.5% compared to America's being at 1.2%

4.  Obviously for this chart to be a more accurate measurement it should be done on a per capita basis which it is not. 

 

source I've been using:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FouLLine said:

4.  Obviously for this chart to be a more accurate measurement it should be done on a per capita basis which it is not. 


"Per 100,000 people..."

🙄 🤦‍♂️

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good god this thread sucks.  Back to the highlight threads.  

You guys aren't doctors.  Give it a rest

  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Just wanted to re-post this in case it got lost in thee hoax discussion.  What took them so long?  2021 would be a perfectly fine compromise and I thought so all along.  The off "odd years" are good back-up years and perfect in this situation. 

The a**hole athletes who go on and on about their "dream" of glory and I me mine in everything being more important than the rest of planet earth will still have their "glory" next year and the sensible and logical athletes who didn't want to attend and risk infection to themselves, their families/friends and countless strangers if they became transmitters are justified and happy.  Win-win if they do indeed do this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WahooManiac said:

Good god this thread sucks.  Back to the highlight threads.  

 

This thread is here to keep COVID chatter from overwhelming other threads, for those who'd like to discuss the not-necessasrily-baseall-related-but-still-important aspects of a virus that has shut down all of sports and much of the economy.  Nobody's forcing you to read it -- if you'd like to focus on baseball-relevant COVID stuff, the thread for that is here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:


"Per 100,000 people..."

🙄 🤦‍♂️

 

Ahh my mistake I missed that.  

 

So let me change my number 4.

 

4.  It should be tracking overall hospitalization rate and we should be watching that number grow towards our hospitals capacity.  Once it breaks through that point that's when the death rate starts to climb back up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

 

Ahh my mistake I missed that.  

 

So let me change my number 4.

 

4.  It should be tracking overall hospitalization rate and we should be watching that number grow towards our hospitals capacity.  Once it breaks through that point that's when the death rate starts to climb back up. 

 

Also important to look at it at a regional level. In NYS its much more important to watch then say West Virginia. West Virginia having no problems in hospitals while NY is basically at or near capacity in most hospitals in and around the city. Most areas in the US can afford many more cases right now but NY is not one of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Just wanted to re-post this in case it got lost in thee hoax discussion.  What took them so long?  2021 would be a perfectly fine compromise and I thought so all along.  The off "odd years" are good back-up years and perfect in this situation. 

The a**hole athletes who go on and on about their "dream" of glory and I me mine in everything being more important than the rest of planet earth will still have their "glory" next year and the sensible and logical athletes who didn't want to attend and risk infection to themselves, their families/friends and countless strangers if they became transmitters are justified and happy.  Win-win if they do indeed do this.

Those Olympic villages are one giant orgy, from what I hear.

Edited by AJdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

 

This thread is here to keep COVID chatter from overwhelming other threads, for those who'd like to discuss the not-necessasrily-baseall-related-but-still-important aspects of a virus that has shut down all of sports and much of the economy.  Nobody's forcing you to read it -- if you'd like to focus on baseball-relevant COVID stuff, the thread for that is here.

No one is forcing me correct.  However this isn't a discussion,  it's web md meets infowars. This community is better than this thread.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

3 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

No one is forcing me correct.  However this isn't a discussion,  it's web md meets infowars. This community is better than this thread.  

 

Sorry it's not up to your standards, but you've made your point several times. If you don't like it, don't click on it.  Otherwise, your complaints can be taken to any staff member via PM or the Fantasy Feedback forum.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Good god this thread sucks.  Back to the highlight threads.  

You guys aren't doctors.  Give it a rest

 

 

How dare you, I heard very reliable source this is getting serious:

 

thumb_my-best-friends-sisters-boyfriends

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is praising South Korea, but how do they get out of their situation? Once people are allowed back into society it will just start spreading again. Part of flattening the curve is to have cases stay right around the capacity level. If they are too low, than the spread will just last that much longer. That's the part that scares me, I don't see how this ends before either 75% of the population has gotten it and enough immunity is built that the healthcare system can manager, or a cure / vaccine is proven to work. A vaccine is at earliest a year away. Cures seem to have more promise, but its still a huge question mark.

I think the best case sports wise is that in the coming months testing is completely revamped where leagues can require all players and any other personnel needed to play in empty stadiums for a while so at least some games will be played and there won't be a spread as no one there will have the virus. This is a best case and is probably impossible based on the current situation.

Testing is the key, then at least maybe we can start letting healthy people out, but it only works if EVERYONE is tested as there are likely hundreds of thousands if not millions in the US that are perfectly healthy but have contracted the virus and can spread it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Respirators should be number one priority. As far as other supplies go. I was thinking being in construction and the masks I use. When we run out of masks we come up with all sorts of inventive ways as I’m sure many know. Bandanna for one. Take shirt off back. Sometimes we even wet material. Obviously these make shift solutions aren’t sterile nor are they efficient to reuse. I started thinking. And it dawned on me. Plastic, steril. Sounds stupid but Saran Wrap. Here’s where it gets better. Baseball helps. Sounds strange but here’s my idea. Take a Catchers Cup. You know jock cup. Flip it upside down on your face covering nose and mouth. you have instant facial breathing shield with the built in holes and all.  Now wrap Saran Wrap around Cup and Head fixating it to your head. Throw the Saran wrap away after each patient. Re-sterilize the Cup and repeat. Cups!!  Molina has a few 

- I only have one left but I’m willing to donate 

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Everyone is praising South Korea, but how do they get out of their situation? Once people are allowed back into society it will just start spreading again. Part of flattening the curve is to have cases stay right around the capacity level. If they are too low, than the spread will just last that much longer. That's the part that scares me, I don't see how this ends before either 75% of the population has gotten it and enough immunity is built that the healthcare system can manager, or a cure / vaccine is proven to work. A vaccine is at earliest a year away. Cures seem to have more promise, but its still a huge question mark.

I think the best case sports wise is that in the coming months testing is completely revamped where leagues can require all players and any other personnel needed to play in empty stadiums for a while so at least some games will be played and there won't be a spread as no one there will have the virus. This is a best case and is probably impossible based on the current situation.

Testing is the key, then at least maybe we can start letting healthy people out, but it only works if EVERYONE is tested as there are likely hundreds of thousands if not millions in the US that are perfectly healthy but have contracted the virus and can spread it.

South Korea has very intrusive monitoring of their people (by our standards). They were able to track any one who tested, retrace their footprints via surveillance and find out who exactly they came in contact with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Respirators should be number one priority. As far as other supplies go. I was thinking being in construction and the masks I use. When we run out of masks we come up with all sorts of inventive ways as I’m sure many know. Bandanna for one. Take shirt off back. Sometimes we even wet material. Obviously these make shift solutions aren’t sterile nor are they efficient to reuse. I started thinking. And it dawned on me. Plastic, steril. Sounds stupid but Saran Wrap. Here’s where it gets better. Baseball helps. Sounds strange but here’s my idea. Take a Catchers Cup. You know jock cup. Flip it upside down on your face covering nose and mouth. you have instant facial breathing shield with the built in holes and all.  Now wrap Saran Wrap around Cup and Head fixating it to your head. Throw the Saran wrap away after each patient. Re-sterilize the Cup and repeat. Cups!!  Molina has a few 

- I only have one left but I’m willing to donate 

Yes covering your mouth with saran wrap would be 100% effective in not getting any disease. Ever.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Respirators should be number one priority. As far as other supplies go. I was thinking being in construction and the masks I use. When we run out of masks we come up with all sorts of inventive ways as I’m sure many know. Bandanna for one. Take shirt off back. Sometimes we even wet material. Obviously these make shift solutions aren’t sterile nor are they efficient to reuse. I started thinking. And it dawned on me. Plastic, steril. Sounds stupid but Saran Wrap. Here’s where it gets better. Baseball helps. Sounds strange but here’s my idea. Take a Catchers Cup. You know jock cup. Flip it upside down on your face covering nose and mouth. you have instant facial breathing shield with the built in holes and all.  Now wrap Saran Wrap around Cup and Head fixating it to your head. Throw the Saran wrap away after each patient. Re-sterilize the Cup and repeat. Cups!!  Molina has a few 

- I only have one left but I’m willing to donate 


I guess that’s why you’re in construction. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparing death rates between Italy and US right now won’t tell much. Their rate was so high because their ERs were overwhelmed. NY and Washington are almost there right now though. It’s bad enough they are using US military ships for hospital beds for patients not infected right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yes covering your mouth with saran wrap would be 100% effective in not getting any disease. Ever.

I’m more referring to the testing of people when they spray on the medical staff. The wrap would go over the Cup.🙄. Yes I’m in construction. Would you like to buy a home? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

I’m more referring to the testing of people when they spray on the medical staff. The wrap would go over the Cup.🙄. Yes I’m in construction. Would you like to buy a home? 

No offense but you doing construction isn't as essential as you think. You should be worried about the buyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

No offense but you doing construction isn't as essential as you think. You should be worried about the buyers.

Ok no offense taken. I am a buyer, a builder and a seller. I’m also a fantasy player. What I do and my credentials are irrelevant. I’m just offering ideas to save people. Thankyou for the tip. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.