bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Comparing death rates between Italy and US right now won’t tell much. Their rate was so high because their ERs were overwhelmed. NY and Washington are almost there right now though. It’s bad enough they are using US military ships for hospital beds for patients not infected right now. 

Well not right now.  One ship is about a week's sailing away from getting to LA.  The one for NYC is at least 3 weeks away since it was in the middle of maintenance and still has a way to go before it can sail.  And yes they are for patients not infected with anything since they are trauma care ships and have no way to deal with anyone with coronavirus or any other infection.  So the hospitals can clear some of their non-infected patients out to clear more room in their hospitals for the people with coronavirus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always liked Ryan Reynolds.  Pretty generous.

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

I’m more referring to the testing of people when they spray on the medical staff. The wrap would go over the Cup.🙄. Yes I’m in construction. Would you like to buy a home? 

Ha sorry I have a home. I hope this market isnt too hard on you guys but I cant imagine it's good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well not right now.  One ship is about a week's sailing away from getting to LA.  The one for NYC is at least 3 weeks away since it was in the middle of maintenance and still has a way to go before it can sail.  And yes they are for patients not infected with anything since they are trauma care ships and have no way to deal with anyone with coronavirus or any other infection.  So the hospitals can clear some of their non-infected patients out to clear more room in their hospitals for the people with coronavirus.

That long? I thought they said a few days. Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, B&F said:

 

Donald Trump, M.D. - Trump University School of Medicine

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Donald Trump, M.D. - Trump University School of Medicine

President Trump likes to say that he fell into politics almost by accident, and on Friday, as he sought to calm a nation gripped with fears over coronavirus, he suggested he would have thrived in another profession — medical expert.

“I like this stuff. I really get it,” Trump boasted to reporters during a tour of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, where he met with actual doctors and scientists who are feverishly scrambling to contain and combat the deadly illness. 

Citing a “great, super-genius uncle” who taught at MIT, Trump professed that it must run in the family genes.

People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unsurprising that people are taking to, uh, novel off-label approaches given the misinformation being put out there about this stuff.  Sometimes the pace of scientific study is frustrating, but the guidance about not letting the cure be worse than the disease applies at least as much to chloroquine as it does to an unfortunate drop in our 401ks and some unplanned stimulus spending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Don’t self-medicate. Especially if it’s just an ingredient in parasite treatment for your fish tank. Apparently this needs to be spelled out to some 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

https://news.yahoo.com/man-dies-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-111947033.html 

 

[...]

Olympics have postponed until 2021. what does that say for baseball, July? August? 2021?

Edited by tonycpsu
"No politics but [politics]" isn't going to fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

 

[...]

Olympics have postponed until 2021. what does that say for baseball, July? August? 2021?

Still impossible to say, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

 

[...]

Olympics have postponed until 2021. what does that say for baseball, July? August? 2021?

I dont understand how you can compare the MLB with an Olympics games. We are talking about the entire world crunched up into one small area of the world (athletes/fans combined) versus a single nation (sure, some of the athletes are from the Carribean but the comparing number of athletes fail in comparison)

I still believe MLB will be back in May.. that leaves us with potentially still 9 weeks to get this sorted out if we wish to see pre-June ball.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind we're in a separate mess when it comes to state's guidelines. I live in Ohio and we're under stay at home orders. Other states are not. Our governor is on TV and very much did NOT commit to this pipe dream of opening everything back up by Easter. Having different rules per state will be a nightmare for any sports league assessing when it can start back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Keep in mind we're in a separate mess when it comes to state's guidelines. I live in Ohio and we're under stay at home orders. Other states are not. Our governor is on TV and very much did NOT commit to this pipe dream of opening everything back up by Easter. Having different rules per state will be a nightmare for any sports league assessing when it can start back up.

Forgive my ignorance, but, lets assume Trump orders people back to work and restricts these guidelines, are States forced to abide by these rules or can each state dictate when their people go back to work and restrictions are lifted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Forgive my ignorance, but, lets assume Trump orders people back to work and restricts these guidelines, are States forced to abide by these rules or can each state dictate when their people go back to work and restrictions are lifted?

He has yielded to the states on this matter entirely to this point. There haven't been any federal orders. As far as I know it's each state's governor's call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this is for anybody in the NY area or is up to date with the state of NY..

Can you please keep us informed with how the medical trials are being received by the public? and also the success rate of them? I mean, im sure if they are successful, the whole world will know and begin to use it on their patients.. but, please, feel free to keep non-NY residents in the loop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a constitutional lawyer or scholar, but I think the Supremacy Clause that would allow the feds to override states only applies to laws passed by congress, not whatever statutes / executive orders might be used by the executive branch to try to coerce people to going back to work.  Maybe there are existing laws that would let them do this, but otherwise, it seems like a law would have to pass Congress, and I don't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

He has yielded to the states on this matter entirely to this point. There haven't been any federal orders. As far as I know it's each state's governor's call.

Fair enough. I shall assume you saw Trump wanting the nation 'back to normal' by Easter. This gives you guys roughly 3 weeks more or less. Just generally curious if at that point it becomes Federal orders. It will be interesting, especially more so because i am sure we can both agree not all states will agree with this order and may ignore it entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Don’t self-medicate. Especially if it’s just an ingredient in parasite treatment for your fish tank. Apparently this needs to be spelled out to some 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

https://news.yahoo.com/man-dies-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-111947033.html 


😂 incredible  

 

 

 

well this work from home quarantine stuff has me self medicating alright...

 

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Olympics takes a ton of time and resources to prepare. You can't really have any sort of interruption. Regardless of what stage the virus is at in the summer. Getting the Olympics in was going to be impossible. So this is a little different then baseball if it tries to fit in half a season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Fair enough. I shall assume you saw Trump wanting the nation 'back to normal' by Easter. This gives you guys roughly 3 weeks more or less. Just generally curious if at that point it becomes Federal orders. It will be interesting, especially more so because i am sure we can both agree not all states will agree with this order and may ignore it entirely.

Our governor was just on TV and very much did not commit to Easter and said their projections have the virus peaking here around May 1. There's a whole lot of bad news to come between now and Easter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Our governor was just on TV and very much did not commit to Easter and said their projections have the virus peaking here around May 1. There's a whole lot of bad news to come between now and Easter.


But...We are Americans and can just tough it out! I feel it in my bones...Baseball in May! Baseball in 2020! 
 

/end sarcasm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, for those asking about New York, Gov. Cuomo did a press conference today wherein he laid out the scale and severity of the problem in a clear and convincing way, with hard numbers to illustrate how the feds aren't taking the problem seriously enough.

The video is about an hour long, but most of the important stuff is in the first half hour, with reporter questions toward the end.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize my other post here was a bit off, but I found something that might explain why Italy was hit as hard as they were early a couple of links are included, Iran as well:

Italy and Iran have been two of the countries hardest hit by the Wuhan coronavirus, outside of China. Why?

Helen Raleigh explains at The Federalist:

 

The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative.

OBOR is Beijing’s foreign policy play disguised as infrastructure investment. Here’s how it works: China and country X agree to do an infrastructure project in country X. Country X has to borrow from a Chinese bank to finance the project. A contract is always awarded to Chinese companies, which then bring supplies and Chinese employees to country X to build the project.

As a result of One Belt and One Road, there are more than 300,000 Chinese living in Italy.

Almost exactly a year ago in March 2019, against warnings from the EU and the United States, Italy became the first and only G7 country to sign onto OBOR. As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. …

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country.

The Iran case is interesting as well:
 

2019 was the year Iran officially signed up to OBOR. China sees Iran as a crucial player to this initiative because Iran is not only rich in oil but also lies in a direct path of an ambitious 2,000-mile railroad China wants to build, which will run from western China through Tehran and Turkey into Europe.

Today, Iranian health officials trace the country’s coronavirus outbreak to Qom, a city of a million people. According to the Wall Street Journal, “China Railway Engineering Corp. is building a $2.7 billion high-speed rail line through Qom. Chinese technicians have been helping refurbish a nuclear-power plant nearby.” Iranian medical professionals suspect either Chinese workers in Qom or an Iranian businessman who travelled to China from Qom caused the spread of the coronavirus in Qom.

News reports indicate that a number of high Iranian officials have contracted coronavirus, and I believe at least one or two have died. Raleigh explains:

Although on Feb. 1 the Iranian government banned its airlines from flying to China, it made an exception for Mahan Air, an unofficial airline for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The WSJ reported that Mahan Air “had carried out eight flights between Tehran and China between Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 to transfer Chinese and Iranian passengers to their respective home countries.” This explains why so many high-level Iranian officials are infected by the coronavirus, including First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri and more than 20 lawmakers.

Relying on China for economic development was never a good idea, but it turned out to be more dangerous than we knew.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it to be kind of an oxymoron that Americans are coming together by staying away from each other.

 

I will now leave you with the song oxymoronic which breaks down a lot of what is wrong with our medical industry through the loved pun:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.