bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

N.J. coronavirus deaths increase to 44 with 3,675 total cases statewide. 846 new positive tests announced.

Now 2nd most cases in the country. Numbers are jumping quickly. This isn't going away.

• Like 1

England announced a mandatory 12 week lock down, for the entire country, sans funerals.....and some of you say we're over reacting...it's a bit more dire than you're giving it credit, or lack thereof...it's bad people, real bad..time will show us that we're not taking this seriously enough...this was on the world news tonight..

10 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

N.J. coronavirus deaths increase to 44 with 3,675 total cases statewide. 846 new positive tests announced.

Now 2nd most cases in the country. Numbers are jumping quickly. This isn't going away.

This will likely continue to increase over the next two weeks, as we’ll continue to see all the cases from the previous couple weeks, because we weren’t locked down and people didn’t know they were sick/contagious. But the hope is, if these measures work, that we will see the decrease after that. But we’re weeks away from that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

I don't know.  If you are going to shut down any operation based on one infection, that would seem to mean a complete lock down of society until there is a cure.  That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm just some random idiot online, but still. 

Even if Japan and Korea handled it better, it doesn't seem like they'd be having games now and we are going to all stay at home for a full year. 

It's very contagious, if one of them gets chances are most of the team will as well.

Is there any real reason why every time someone associated with baseball tests positive for this, Rotoworld slaps Rob Manfred's face and name all over it? 

Can the powers that be on this site please make that stop? Its in incredibly poor taste. 

3 hours ago, FISH ON said:

England announced a mandatory 12 week lock down, for the entire country, sans funerals.....and some of you say we're over reacting...it's a bit more dire than you're giving it credit, or lack thereof...it's bad people, real bad..time will show us that we're not taking this seriously enough...this was on the world news tonight..

Baseball players are having tommy john surgeries and using in demand ventilators. None of them are taking it serious and nobody seems to care. And to think some ball players stopped playing a game to fight WW2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Baseball players are having tommy john surgeries and using in demand ventilators. None of them are taking it serious and nobody seems to care. And to think some ball players stopped playing a game to fight WW2.

it’s not like players are getting drafted to fight against COVID-19. 

Ted Williams on the other hand wasn’t drafted and is a Hero (he volunteered). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

it’s not like players are getting drafted to fight against COVID-19. 

Ted Williams on the other hand wasn’t drafted and is a Hero (he volunteered). 

Of course not...and not one player will volunteer to delay their surgery especially before their arbitration year. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, azeri98 said:

What about the people who handle their luggage? Hotel Staff? Food servers? Hotels are just as bad as airports. Don't forget most of the coaching staff on each team are old guys in the danger zone. It's a lot harder than you think. The umpires are old too, are they going to charter planes for them too? The virus was not really even here yet and how many members of the NBA have tested positive, it's very contagious. you also didn't answer my question. What if one player tests positive, then what? do you stop the season for 2-3 weeks? The NBA just came out and said resuming the NBA season best case scenario is mid to late June, that doesn't bode well for MLB starting anytime in May

In lockdown states all hotels are pretty much closed. So unless those states lessen restrictions games aren’t being played in them at all.

Every day that the US is not on national lockdown is a life-altering mistake. The latest WHO graphs and outlook are just dire. What are we doing.

• Like 1

We are a nation of stupid, shallow, self-centered people.  We would rather let others die than be personally inconvenienced to the slightest degree.  We as a nation have no regard for human life unless it's our own or close family.  This is a case where government must intervene to save us from ourselves.  The longer we wait for a national lock down, the more the virus will spread, the more people will die, and the longer this will drag on.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Every day that the US is not on national lockdown is a life-altering mistake. The latest WHO graphs and outlook are just dire. What are we doing.

People will literally die every day there’s no lockdown. As a Canadian, I feel for you American bros.

29 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

We are a nation of stupid, shallow, self-centered people.  We would rather let others die than be personally inconvenienced to the slightest degree.  We as a nation have no regard for human life unless it's our own or close family.  This is a case where government must intervene to save us from ourselves.  The longer we wait for a national lock down, the more the virus will spread, the more people will die, and the longer this will drag on.

WHile I agree with this...the states with the most cases are already in lockdown

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

WHile I agree with this...the states with the most cases are already in lockdown

But this is where the lack of foresight is going to be devastating. Any state not in lockdown that thinks they're "safe" has another thing coming. Bars are open in Tennessee. People are still making interstate trips. This is lunacy.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Lockdown is subjective. The amount of jobs considered essential are pretty broad. I do water damage restoration and as soon as I’m feeling better I will be in 3-5 houses per day as my job is considered essential. We still have thirty people on the clock daily. All doing the exact same thing. 

4 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Lockdown is subjective. The amount of jobs considered essential are pretty broad. I do water damage restoration and as soon as I’m feeling better I will be in 3-5 houses per day as my job is considered essential. We still have thirty people on the clock daily. All doing the exact same thing. 

Mold can be deadly...Cannot shut the entire country off with no power or water if everyone stays home. People have to persevere and take care of themselves the best they can

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Just cancel the season already 

What's the rush?

• Like 2

It's a  balancing act. If you have a national lockdown companies go belly up, people lose their job, people go hungry, despair, depression, increase in mental health issues and  poverty. We could to see an increase in crime coinciding with less available police. You have a whole new set of issues The reality is, there is no good answer to this problem. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

It's a  balancing act. If you have a national lockdown companies go belly up, people lose their job, people go hungry, despair, depression, increase in mental health issues and  poverty. We could to see an increase in crime coinciding with less available police. You have a whole new set of issues The reality is, there is no good answer to this problem. 

All of these things are going to happen anyway. Stopping the spread by any means necessary takes precedence over everything else.

21 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

The reality is, there is no good answer to this problem. 

Yeah, but there are really bad answers.  Just as I don't want Dr. Fauci deciding how much is too much in terms of breaking the economy, I don't want the White House deciding when the curve has been sufficiently flattened.  Listen to the experts, be they economists or epidemiologists, and try to find the sweet spot, if there is one.  Instead, so much of the emphasis seems to be on the economic harm (which we can offset by giving people money, as the current compromise legislation does) instead of on the vast potential for loss of human life (which we can't fix with a printing press and some future tax increases.)

Or, to put it another way:

ET6lzPqU8AALhun.thumb.jpg.69c42832923847e53c80447ae4d5cbbc.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

All of these things are going to happen anyway. Stopping the spread by any means necessary takes precedence over everything else.

In. Your. Opinion. 

I don't necessarily agree with that.. and that's ok.

• Like 1

Not sure if you all have heard some of the news coming out of the MLB this morning?

1. MLB has agreed to give players a full year of service time regardless of the number of games played (nothing has been determined in relation to a canceled season)

2. Players are open to playing double headers twice a week to help with the integrity of the MLB season.

3. Scott Boras has proposed a couple options to the MLB in relation to the structure of the season. I get it. He is an agent. He does have pull, and he is in close with those in higher ranks who does have more pull if his isnt considered.

He has proposed both a 144 and 162 game season. World Series will be played on Christmas day. As the season goes on and into the playoffs.. neutral sites will be the location of these games. Im personally excited cuz Toronto is on that list.. even though my home town team may not be in the playoffs.. it is possible i get playoff games.. thank you to that dome.

Also, a side note.. which i should have mentioned above.. the 144 game season would start July 1. The 162 game season would start June 1st. The June 1st would be lovely especially if Shapiro gets his way and has a whole full 4 weeks of warming up before the season starts.. this would indicate baseball returns in............MAYYYYY. As i have been saying, lol.

• Like 2

As big of a business that baseball is, it is trivial compared to the pandemic. It's seems implausible they rush back into games (regardless of empty stadiums or lack of travel, like games in AZ) until new cases are at minimum or near zero. We don't need baseball and if I was a player/worker/staff i'd laugh at anyone trying to force me into an unsafe working environment prematurely, phoning the union and my attorney. I expect a high risk undergoing like baseball will move very slowly exposing themselves to potential lawsuits. That said (personal pipe dream), I'd hope to see something like a March Madness tourney for MLB if they have enough time get that end before they end of year. That would be fun to watch, don't think baseball will happen in any shape or form regardless :( 

• Like 1