bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

We are a nation of stupid, shallow, self-centered people.  We would rather let others die than be personally inconvenienced to the slightest degree.  We as a nation have no regard for human life unless it's our own or close family.  This is a case where government must intervene to save us from ourselves.  The longer we wait for a national lock down, the more the virus will spread, the more people will die, and the longer this will drag on.

National lockdown? The White House was hoping to that America would get back to work by Easter. Zero percent chance that a national lockdown will happen with that mindset. However, states have doing it at their level, which does feel like the right way to handle it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, some of you guys/girls needs to learn to be more optimistic.. your negativity is such a drain on people and kills the morale of the people... no different than how CNN and other news stations go about business.. A lot of people have recovered from Corona to date.. no mention of it.. just sickness and death. Gonna drive everyone crazy. We will see baseball and we will see it sooner than you guys all think..

*i do realize the severity of the situation and am in no way not taking it serious*

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

National lockdown? The White House was hoping to that America would get back to work by Easter. Zero percent chance that a national lockdown will happen with that mindset. However, states have doing it at their level, which does feel like the right way to handle it.

The Wisconsin "lock down" is such a sham. What business can call themselves essetional is very board. Not sure how it's working in other states. The Fed does need to take the lead and establish basic guidelines for every state.

Take a similar approach to how they handled the legal drinking age. Promise relief funding for the sake of a federal compliance. You can still give states autonomy with a federally led lockdown. That is not what is happening. This half-A$$ approach isn't doing much. IMO.

Edited by Slatykamora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Also, some of you guys/girls needs to learn to be more optimistic.. your negativity is such a drain on people and kills the morale of the people... no different than how CNN and other news stations go about business.. A lot of people have recovered from Corona to date.. no mention of it.. just sickness and death. Gonna drive everyone crazy. We will see baseball and we will see it sooner than you guys all think..

*i do realize the severity of the situation and am in no way not taking it serious*


Disagree. Preaching false hopes builds a false sense of security that is making the problem worse. It's going to get worse before it gets better. People aren't taking it serious enough and could cite many articles but we have seen them, here is one... https://time.com/5807073/millennials-coronavirus-who/

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

As big of a business that baseball is, it is trivial compared to the pandemic. It's seems implausible they rush back into games (regardless of empty stadiums or lack of travel, like games in AZ) until new cases are at minimum or near zero. We don't need baseball and if I was a player/worker/staff i'd laugh at anyone trying to force me into an unsafe working environment prematurely, phoning the union and my attorney. I expect a high risk undergoing like baseball will move very slowly exposing themselves to potential lawsuits. That said (personal pipe dream), I'd hope to see something like a March Madness tourney for MLB if they have enough time get that end before they end of year. That would be fun to watch, don't think baseball will happen in any shape or form regardless :( 

 

I hadn't really thought of playing games in a central location, though it had been mentioned before.  As you mention, we are talking about a very big business centered around a few people.  This would cost peanuts compared to the money it would generate.

Each player gets a home to themselves, and perhaps their family in some place like Arizona.  (Maybe you have a few different locations).  Big chunks of games are played in one area. Guys who make millions can just buy or rent a place.  Guys on their rookie deals or whatever can be given a nice condo.

Dress and prepare for the games at home.   

Drive to the park alone and play.  

Go back home.  

As always, I'm largely talking out of my butt.  There might be things I'm not considering.  But at the same time, if we think a little bit creatively, I don't see why this is such a far fetched possibility.

This is basically what everyone working in a grocery store is doing right now.  I think it's more likely than not that this is what most people will be doing in 6-8 weeks.  People who work at most other businesses.  Unless like 75% of people are not going to be working in 8 weeks, I just don't see why baseball would be the exception.  Given that they are generating so much money with so few people, I think they'd be MORE likely to find a way to make it work than like, Petco or B of A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tucker26 said:


Disagree. Preaching false hopes builds a false sense of security that is making the problem worse. It's going to get worse before it gets better. People aren't taking it serious enough and could cite many articles but we have seen them, here is one... https://time.com/5807073/millennials-coronavirus-who/

It is not false hope. There are reasons for optimism. You providing me with a link is doing nothing more than i have already claimed.. scaring people.. making things worse... and at the end of the day it will do nothing but lead people into a sense of confusion and borderline depression.

Testing has been upgraded significantly. Restrictions have placed in many areas (and while i agree they should be higher.. this is better than what it was a few weeks ago). All scientists around the world are fighting for the same cause for the 1st time probably in humanity.. you have to assume a cure/something noteable to prevent transmission is on the horizon.

Personally, im seeing a lot of positives slowly emerging.. and i would like to view the positives as a means to a return to normalcy sooner than a lot of the negative minded posters through out this forum are..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

It is not false hope. There are reasons for optimism. You providing me with a link is doing nothing more than i have already claimed.. scaring people.. making things worse... and at the end of the day it will do nothing but lead people into a sense of confusion and borderline depression.


Better to be scared with the reality of this than...you know, actually getting or passing the Coronavirus (in addition to real confusion and full on depression)...There is light  at the end of the tunnel but is a long ways out...Unless this is the new uniforms for MLB...

2YnwVaSzPPfBsz3KogFSvw6z31XzLGAQEaywKEij

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ We don't need to and are not going to be able to come to a community-wide agreement on the precise amount of optimism / pessimism to have about the situation, which makes hectoring others about their lack of / overabundance of optimism rather pointless.  Let's focus on news and analysis of the threat, not what you think other community members should feel about it. ]

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tucker26 said:


Better to be scared with the reality of this than...you know, actually getting or passing the Coronavirus (in addition to real confusion and full on depression)...There is light  at the end of the tunnel but is a long ways out...Unless this is the new uniforms for MLB...

2YnwVaSzPPfBsz3KogFSvw6z31XzLGAQEaywKEij

I disagree entirely.. again... while i understand the seriousness of the situation and have placed/followed restrictions on myself as well to prevent myself from getting it/passing it on to others.. i dont think us as a whole living in fear is going to benefit anybody. Now, this does not mean we need to be reckless about things either.

Personally, i think it would serve everyone well to look at that light at the end of the tunnel you refer to.. but, thats just some crazy guy from Torontos opinion.

*side note - new uni's lol*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, tucker26 said:


Disagree. Preaching false hopes builds a false sense of security that is making the problem worse. It's going to get worse before it gets better. People aren't taking it serious enough and could cite many articles but we have seen them, here is one... https://time.com/5807073/millennials-coronavirus-who/

 

     Thanks for the article.  Good read.   I see a lot of old guys in suits telling kids to “take this seriously.” Over and over again.  These guys sound like parents.  I can’t say for sure, but if I was a high school kid that just got an extra month or whatever of no school, I’d probably roll my eyes.  That’s if I saw that message at all.  I really wish social networking apps like tik tok and Instagram would step up more.  They have a lot more pull than guys in suits do over the younger “invulnerable” generation.  Toilet bowl licker girl STILL hasn’t been banned, or even suspended anywhere.  She has 171,000 followers!  These are fully grown adults running and operating these apps, where is their accounatbility?

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

[ We don't need to and are not going to be able to come to a community-wide agreement on the precise amount of optimism / pessimism to have about the situation, which makes hectoring others about their lack of / overabundance of optimism rather pointless.  Let's focus on news and analysis of the threat, not what you think other community members should feel about it. ]

fair enough. To each their own, i suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tucker26 said:


Disagree. Preaching false hopes builds a false sense of security that is making the problem worse. It's going to get worse before it gets better. People aren't taking it serious enough and could cite many articles but we have seen them, here is one... https://time.com/5807073/millennials-coronavirus-who/

We can only control ourselves. There is always going to be people that believe stupid things no matter how hard you spread awareness.

There is a difference between a glass half full outlook and acting on ignorance. (Like opening things up by Easter, ignoring the data and experts.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

[ We don't need to and are not going to be able to come to a community-wide agreement on the precise amount of optimism / pessimism to have about the situation, which makes hectoring others about their lack of / overabundance of optimism rather pointless.  Let's focus on news and analysis of the threat, not what you think other community members should feel about it. ]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

The Wisconsin "lock down" is such a sham. What business can call themselves essetional is very board. Not sure how it's working in other states. The Fed does need to take the lead and establish basic guidelines for every state.

Take a similar approach to how they handled the legal drinking age. Promise relief funding for the sake of a federal compliance. You can still give states autonomy with a federally led lockdown. That is not what is happening. This half-A$$ approach isn't doing much. IMO.

Illinois is the same. Hell, liquor stores are considered essential (Murica! But I approve).

 

Again don't hold your breath for the Fed to take any sort of lead on a national lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo liquor stores should be declared essential.  Alcoholics/addicted who don’t get access to it can cause lots of damage in houses/society/clog up hospitals etc.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

 

Yeah, but there are really bad answers.  Just as I don't want Dr. Fauci deciding how much is too much in terms of breaking the economy, I don't want the White House deciding when the curve has been sufficiently flattened.  Listen to the experts, be they economists or epidemiologists, and try to find the sweet spot, if there is one.  Instead, so much of the emphasis seems to be on the economic harm (which we can offset by giving people money, as the current compromise legislation does) instead of on the vast potential for loss of human life (which we can't fix with a printing press and some future tax increases.)

Or, to put it another way:

ET6lzPqU8AALhun.thumb.jpg.69c42832923847e53c80447ae4d5cbbc.jpg

Option 1: Personally, this might scare me more than the virus. Essentially the government taking our liberties away for 1+ years and then at the end of it and having collected a fraction of it's usual tax revenue creating "major structural reform". Careful what you wish for. That sounds like a recipe for authoritarianism, hyperinflation and/or civil war. 

Option 2:  I'm not convinced we'd have "option one also happen". I do think that regardless of what we do there's going to be tragic loss of life.  You're not going to stop the spread. You can only slow down.

IMO we need to continue to do social distance life while diverting parts of the economy to help hospitals get prepared and get the drug companies all hands on deck, testing drugs, hopefully finding a treatment and then cranking it out. Once that train is rolling things should get back to "normal" (with some caveats) and hope like hell this acts like most other viruses and slows down when the weather gets warmer. Personally I think shutting down the economy until this is over (at least a year?) will do more harm than the virus.

Buckle up and stay healthy everybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without getting too polarizing...

It seems to me a number of legislators, regardless of their political stripe, are using this as an opportunity to dovetail stimulus or health management into other pieces of their constituency's agendas.

I understand that in previous times of crisis, this is how it's done.  Strike while the iron's hot or whatever.

I'm not wild about it.  Both sides.  Just get us through this.  Worry about your other stuff later.  Just my .02.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Some optimism here if they think they can get to 140 -150 games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Without getting too polarizing...

It seems to me a number of legislators, regardless of their political stripe, are using this as an opportunity to dovetail stimulus or health management into other pieces of their constituency's agendas.

I understand that in previous times of crisis, this is how it's done.  Strike while the iron's hot or whatever.

I'm not wild about it.  Both sides.  Just get us through this.  Worry about your other stuff later.  Just my .02.

Couldn't agree more. It's unbelievable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, tucker26 said:


Better to be scared with the reality of this than...you know, actually getting or passing the Coronavirus (in addition to real confusion and full on depression)...There is light  at the end of the tunnel but is a long ways out...Unless this is the new uniforms for MLB...

2YnwVaSzPPfBsz3KogFSvw6z31XzLGAQEaywKEij

Steals would be REALLY  scarce

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Mold can be deadly...Cannot shut the entire country off with no power or water if everyone stays home. People have to persevere and take care of themselves the best they can

Working in the industry the chances of mold being deadly to you are pretty close to you being hit crossing a cross walk while having the signal to go. I’m saying there are a LOT more people out there in essential jobs than you’d assume and they are mostly going to several households a day. The virus is still going to be spreading. Just takes one guys and there’s about 10 families before he even shows symptoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It seems to me a number of legislators, regardless of their political stripe, are using this as an opportunity to dovetail stimulus or health management into other pieces of their constituency's agendas.

 

[ Letting this tangent go as long as it remains civil and focused on the relief bill and not other aspects of the US political climate... ]

If you're going to make a politically-oriented (albeit non-partisan) statement like this, then you're going to need to be explicit about what provisions you think are out of bounds in a relief bill like this, otherwise, people are just going to fill in the blanks with the things they think are essential vs. the things they think are gratuitous.

The idea of some form of direct cash and safety net relief is quite bipartisan, but the shape of the distribution (who gets more / less relief in terms of low vs. high income, individuals vs. business, etc.) is what's being argued about.  Unless you have some non-partisan view of what this distribution should look like that's somehow eluded the US political process since the institution of the income tax, then your own opinion is itself political, and therefore 'regardless of their political stripe" has no meaning.

Everything in the bill is political and partisan.  Stimulus and health management are partisan.  You can't take the politics out of politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

 

If you're going to make a politically-oriented (albeit non-partisan) statement like this, then you're going to need to be explicit about what provisions you think are out of bounds in a relief bill like this, otherwise, people are just going to fill in the blanks with the things they think are essential vs. the things they think are gratuitous.

If you insist...

Red team: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/24/pandemic-new-front-abortion-wars-147315

Blue team: https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2020/03/25/universal-basic-income-congress-coronavirus-covid-19-miles-howard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I thought you were talking about the federal level, but that's quite a false equivalency there.  In one case, real actions being taken at the state level, and in another case, an op-ed saying there should be a Yang-esque basic income in Massachusetts, with UBI itself being an idea that came out of the libertarian movement as an alternative to SNAP, TANF, Social Security, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.