bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

10 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

image.png.d40785f79577dc0555edfb372ec3114c.png

Right behind Italy in number of cases. 😕

the number of cases isn't as important as the number of deaths or the number of people that got better.

Anybody have a good source for the questions: Once you do get infected and recover, how unlikely are you to be infected again? Is there a general time period after recovery that you’re immune to reinfection?

I’ve looked into this some but have read some conflicting information. At this point it’s clear a large portion of the population is going to get the virus. The answer to those 2 questions above will have a big impact on when we can get back to normal life, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

The numbers are meaningless?  :rolleyes: sure.

We have over 5 times as many people. The number of people overall who get it will shoot past Italy. 
Currently we are at 3 deaths/M pop. China and Germany at 2. Italy at 124, and Spain at 78. Those are the numbers we are concerned about. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

the number of cases isn't as important as the number of deaths or the number of people that got better.

More cases = more deaths. It's not rocket science.  As our hospitals reach capacity you will start to see deaths skyrocket.  Right now most cases are still open so those numbers aren't really relevant at this point.  We're still near the early stages right now.

1 minute ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Anybody have a good source for the questions: Once you do get infected and recover, how unlikely are you to be infected again? Is there a general time period after recovery that you’re immune to reinfection?

I’ve looked into this some but have read some conflicting information. At this point it’s clear a large portion of the population is going to get the virus. The answer to those 2 questions above will have a big impact on when we can get back to normal life, IMO. 

All I've seen is that one you have it you won't get it again.

2 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Can you catch the coronavirus twice? We don’t know yet

Sometimes, science doesn't work as fast as we need it to.  😕

• Like 1

Just now, MrBrown said:

More cases = more deaths. It's not rocket science.  As our hospitals reach capacity you will start to see deaths skyrocket.  Right now most cases are still open so those numbers aren't really relevant at this point.  We're still near the early stages right now.

Wrong. More cases =/= more deaths.

Germany has 37,000 cases and 200 deaths.

Iran has 27,000 cases and 2,000 deaths.

So this is patently false. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonycpsu said:

Can you catch the coronavirus twice? We don’t know yet

Sometimes, science doesn't work as fast as we need it to.  😕

There has been a lot of people globally that have recovered. Enough so that if you could I feel like we'd hear at least one person that re-contracted it. I guess its not proven but I feel like this is much more of a possibility than say the warmth slowing the spread.

1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

it could also mean more people getting better after having it too. how man people are dying compared to how many are not. that's important.

there could be people that had coronavirus without even getting tested that improved.

Our death rate is significantly lower than some others because our hospitals, thus far, haven't been stretched past their breaking point, though stories like the ones I linked to earlier and this one from NYC suggest we're getting there.  And once we go past the breaking point, the denominator (total cases) *does* matter a lot, and can push the number of deaths up very quickly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

We have over 5 times as many people. The number of people overall who get it will shoot past Italy. 
Currently we are at 3 deaths/M pop. China and Germany at 2. Italy at 124, and Spain at 78. Those are the numbers we are concerned about. 

Read my previous response.  US doesn't have many closed cases because we're still around the early stages.  Death numbers aren't as relevant as the growth of cases right now.  If you don't understand why the number of infected people skyrocketing is a major concern then I don't think you understand what's going on  The death tolls will jump stay tuned for that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

it could also mean more people getting better after having it too. how man people are dying compared to how many are not. that's important.

there could be people that had coronavirus without even getting tested that improved.

Nope. 70% of the closed cases in USA have resulted in death.

32 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

There's a separate thread for baseball impact from the virus. Just saying.

Thanks homie. 😘

Now I don't see moderator anywhere on your avatar... Oh that's right, you're not 😉!

I don't trust numbers reported by Iran, sorry.  Germany may have been better prepared for a viral outbreak. No one knows what's going on there. I'm not too focused on them.  USA was not prepared for this at all.

7 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

There has been a lot of people globally that have recovered. Enough so that if you could I feel like we'd hear at least one person that re-contracted it. I guess its not proven but I feel like this is much more of a possibility than say the warmth slowing the spread.

There have been reports of people getting it again after recovering, read that article tony posted. Now maybe one of the tests was faulty or those people had especially weak immune systems or there was some other odd factor in play, who knows. It seems like the spread has slowed enough in China that you do get some immunity after recovering from it, at least short term.

It also sounds like there’s some difference of opinion on this even within the scientific community on this. This isn’t a big factor yet because there’s more pressing issues, but trust me it will be in the coming months when a large part of the population has contracted it, recovered, and were trying to get back to normal life. 

• Like 1

Confirmed cases can be a reflection of testing. Not actual cases. Death rate can varry depending on if hospitals are overrun. Italy was running about 5% death rate not too long ago.

• Thanks 1

I do not know if logic works here.  Someone can have symptoms for 14 days.  That is when they are most likely going to spread the virus.  It is unlikely
it can be spread when someone is not showing symptoms.

Hypothetically if every single person that showed symptoms was quarantined for 14 days we could get it under control.

Since we are partially quarantining lets double the days to 28 to get where we want.

5 minutes ago, B&F said:
I do not know if logic works here.  Someone can have symptoms for 14 days.  That is when they are most likely going to spread the virus.  It is unlikely

Hypothetically if every single person that showed symptoms was quarantined for 14 days we could get it under control.

Since we are partially quarantining lets double the days to 28 to get where we want.

Someone can be infected but show no symptoms.  People with symptoms may need a hospital bed or its likely they'll just stay home and keep away from people anyway (hopefully). But it does seem like it shouldn't be so hard to eliminate this thing. If only we took action sooner.

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

One thing I've been looking to clear up -- do these asymptomatic people remain so through the entire duration of the illness? 

11 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

One thing I've been looking to clear up -- do these asymptomatic people remain so through the entire duration of the illness? 

From what I have read it is possible.  Unlikely to spread.

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

From what I have read it is possible.  Unlikely to spread.

Yes it is possible.  But no they are still transmitters.

Yikes after reading the last three pages most were about not leaving your house if you do you will get the virus and it will kill you... doom & gloom. I went to Walmart & Big Y today... 

24 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Someone can be infected but show no symptoms.  People with symptoms may need a hospital bed or its likely they'll just stay home and keep away from people anyway (hopefully). But it does seem like it shouldn't be so hard to eliminate this thing. If only we took action sooner.

That is in the past... we are here now, 

• Thanks 1

smh... idk what Big Y is but I assume that must be the liquor store...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Yikes after reading the last three pages most were about not leaving your house if you do you will get the virus and it will kill you... doom & gloom. I went to Walmart & Big Y today... 

That is in the past... we are here now, 

But did you score some TP like I did at Vons?

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

smh... idk what Big Y is but I assume that must be the liquor store...

Grocery store. Walmart in my area is not one of those superstores. 

6 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

But did you score some TP like I did at Vons?

Check. I seen some liquid soap and flushable wipes for the first time no bleach 

• Like 2