bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

In case anybody forgot——- Today was suppose to opening day. 

Yahoo didn't.  They now list all games today as PPD on your team page.  Looks like a major rain out happening all across the country.

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Good for him.  Glad to see a vet who has got his helping the grunts back in the boonies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That jobs report today is pretty tough.

I know a few folks personally who have been laid off, but the 3 million number in context is sobering.

Hope y'all are doing ok.

I appreciate the kind words. I found out yesterday I will be furloughed beginning Monday. These are really rough times.

My wife was let go from the local newspaper, along with her editor and dozens of other reporters / photographers, but we're fortunate enough that I have a stable government-funded research job that can get us through this while she volunteers and figures out what her next move is.  And, for all of the reasons to complain about the stimulus bill, and I'm sure everyone can find fault with some provisions, what people need right now is direct cash assistance, and that's coming.  Nobody knows what things look like on the other side of this, but at least for now, there's a sense that the feds recognize the scope of the problem.

• Like 4

Just now, tonycpsu said:

My wife was let go from the local newspaper, along with her editor and dozens of other reporters / photographers, but we're fortunate enough that I have a stable government-funded research job that can get us through this while she volunteers and figures out what her next move is.  And, for all of the reasons to complain about the stimulus bill, and I'm sure everyone can find fault with some provisions, what people need right now is direct cash assistance, and that's coming.  Nobody knows what things look like on the other side of this, but at least for now, there's a sense that the feds recognize the scope of the problem.

Agreed. Unemployment + $600/week is a huge difference-maker. I'm not sure a bill can ever be perfect, but this one at least gets much-needed help out. I work in corporate of a retailer and we are getting absolutely crushed. Even with this development in my personal life, I fully support taking all measures necessary to contain the virus and ends this nightmare as soon as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Minor leaguers are underpaid 

Good on Wainwright.  He's always been a really good guy.  

Yeah, ever since I found out exactly how bad things are for minor leaguers, I've thought it could be the next move for a "smart" org to throw a couple mil at the minor league players.  

Even from the perspective of a psychopath, why would you want your stable of professional athletes living off fast food and getting crappy sleep?  

I'd also want them to make enough money to stick it out if things aren't going to well. I'm sure some late bloomers, particularly American players, never bloom because they get to be 25 or so and decide it's better to just go get a decent paying job than gamble that they'll get to the majors.  

spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, butlerbeatpitt15 said:

guys be realistic it's not starting in May, at this point we'd be lucky if it started after the asg

early june latest.  maybe may if they are back in camp at end of april.

even doomsday pushers like UK imperial college (and some ppl here) are starting to admit this. Imperial college who predicted 500k deaths in england now predicting 20k orMUCH lower.  who predicted a year out of school/work now saying 2 weeks.  

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/imperial-college-scientist-who-predicted-500k-coronavirus-deaths-in-uk-revises-to-20k-or-less

the zombie apocalypse pushers were wrong and this is probably not even as serious as the FLU at this point.  i expect the country to be back to work in a couple more weeks

edit: also, if you are into traveling, i just bought plane tickets to Colorado in june for $85 round trip (from NY area).

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

early june latest.  maybe may if they are back in camp at end of april.

even doomsday pushers like UK imperial college (and some ppl here) are starting to admit this. Imperial college who predicted 500k deaths in england now predicting 20k orMUCH lower.  who predicted a year out of school/work now saying 2 weeks.  

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/imperial-college-scientist-who-predicted-500k-coronavirus-deaths-in-uk-revises-to-20k-or-less

the zombie apocalypse pushers were wrong and this is probably not even as serious as the FLU at this point.  i expect the country to be back to work in a couple more weeks

edit: also, if you are into traveling, i just bought plane tickets to Colorado in june for $85 round trip (from NY area).

Hmmmm.... i guess i was tricked into thinking doomsday was here with all these negative nancies in these forums..

As each day passes, i am getting more optimistic about a return to normalcy sooner rather than later..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you think the doctors and nurses reporting what is going on at the hospitals right now, before most infected are showing symptoms, are just all lying?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Do you think the doctors and nurses reporting what is going on at the hospitals right now, before most infected are showing symptoms, are just all lying?

no, its their job to be prepared.  some of them are politically motivated as well...and the media often over hypes whats happening in hospitals.  we arent at a shortage of ICU beds or things of that nature.  we are really only seeing the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions hurt. plus, the HCQ/A thing seems to work VERY well. italy was hit so hard because they have socialized/government controlled healthcare (inferior to Americas) and an aging population with pre existing conditions.  we should have handled this like sweden.  basically encouraged the sick and elderly to stay home, and everyone else business as usual.  its looking to be not even as bad as Swine flu in 2009/2010...where we did just this (under dr fauci's recommendation) 

also lol at Tonys coping mechanism.  i didnt believe them because i thought they were politically motivated, and it looks like ive be proven correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Pandemic panglossians: "This guy who predicted 500k deaths if the UK does nothing doesn't know WTF he's talking about."

[ UK locks down ]

[ guy updates his model to indicate UK is doing something ]

[ model says curve is sufficiently flattened so as to not overwhelm the NHS's ICU capacity ]

Pandemic panglossians: "This guy, who I previously said doesn't know WTF he's talking about, now predicts only 20k deaths is totally right this time.  Play ball!"

uk locked down just 2 days ago....yea, thats why it went down from 500k to less than 20k.  totally

Image result for jordan laugh gif

Just now, jfazz23 said:

uk locked down just 2 days ago....yea, thats why it went down from 500k to less than 20k.  totally

Yes, actually, mathematical models that predict many months into the future are, in fact, affected by interventions taken recently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yes, actually, mathematical models that predict many months into the future are, in fact, affected by interventions taken recently.

the media (propaganda) and politically motivated organizations have been pissing on our legs and telling us its raining.

difference between you and me is i pop them in the mouth, you grab an umbrella

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

the media (propaganda) and politically motivated organizations have been pissing on our legs and telling us its raining.

Good thing bold, unbiased truth tellers like *checks notes* The Washington Examiner and The Federalist are here to set us straight!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Good thing bold, unbiased truth tellers like *checks notes* The Washington Examiner and The Federalist are here to set us straight!

Drudge was busy I guess.

8 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Lol that is the cheesiest John Wayne esque way of not making any point or sense whatsoever.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Oye.  Just because I'm inexplicably somehow being linked to the Washington Examiner in a forum about fantasy baseball because this is the world we now live in...https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/

fact checking sites are political organizations.

who checks the fact checker?

30 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

cope

they were citing Imperial university.  id post CNN article if they actually reported it...

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

I don’t want to live in a world where I have to fact check the fact checkers 😰😔

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

no, its their job to be prepared.  some of them are politically motivated as well...and the media often over hypes whats happening in hospitals.  we arent at a shortage of ICU beds or things of that nature.  we are really only seeing the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions hurt. plus, the HCQ/A thing seems to work VERY well. italy was hit so hard because they have socialized/government controlled healthcare (inferior to Americas) and an aging population with pre existing conditions.  we should have handled this like sweden.  basically encouraged the sick and elderly to stay home, and everyone else business as usual.  its looking to be not even as bad as Swine flu in 2009/2010...where we did just this (under dr fauci's recommendation) 

also lol at Tonys coping mechanism.  i didnt believe them because i thought they were politically motivated, and it looks like ive be proven correct.

I'm not really talking about the media.  But you're probably right.  All the doctors and nurses who are reporting what they see are making it up because they don't like Trump or something. 

Italy has the 5th highest life expectancy in the world at 83.4.  The U.S. has the 37th at 78.9.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I don’t want to really get into a huge debate or even go over most of your post, but it’s insensitive and factually wrong to say that hospitals aren’t running into major supply problems.  There are documented cases of hospitals in NY and NJ that are running out of ventilators- and this is just at the *start* of the virus.  It’s getting bad, fast.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

fact checking sites are political organizations.

who checks the fact checker?

You should.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Dude, I’m not trying to be mean when I say this, but you are completely out of touch with reality. 

This is a very, very serious situation. Look at the projections, which are now being supported by the trends. The US cases right now are increasing faster than any other country in the world. The healthcare system is still holding on by a thread but it will be overwhelmed in parts of the country soon - and when that happens things will get really bad in those areas. 

These are facts, not conspiracy theories. Everyone needs to practice social distancing to flatten the curve. I just don’t get how some people can see what’s going on, read the firsthand reports, see the statistics and projections - and still not take this seriously or think it’s some kind of political conspiracy. Makes no sense at all to me.

• Like 8