bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

My wife was let go from the local newspaper, along with her editor and dozens of other reporters / photographers, but we're fortunate enough that I have a stable government-funded research job that can get us through this while she volunteers and figures out what her next move is.  And, for all of the reasons to complain about the stimulus bill, and I'm sure everyone can find fault with some provisions, what people need right now is direct cash assistance, and that's coming.  Nobody knows what things look like on the other side of this, but at least for now, there's a sense that the feds recognize the scope of the problem.

I don't know much about owning/running a local newspaper. But I wonder why they didn't take advantage of the stimulus and take the "loan" that is forgivable if they don't lay anyone off. Maybe they couldn't wait to receive it and literally had no money to "front" paychecks to those folks. Just thinking out loud, so to speak. Sorry to hear about your wife, Tony.

It's really unfortunate that 3-4 million (and growing) people are losing jobs. I can only imagine, especially with the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Hopefully there will be a couple more waves of $ checks coming for those in need, this first wave is helpful but not nearly enough to weather the storm longer.

If you're healthy, still making a paycheck and still have a job to go back to...count your blessings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

the media (propaganda) and politically motivated organizations have been pissing on our legs and telling us its raining.

difference between you and me is i pop them in the mouth, you grab an umbrella

You are way out of your element brah. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Oye.  Just because I'm inexplicably somehow being linked to the Washington Examiner in a forum about fantasy baseball because this is the world we now live in...https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/

CNN comes up as “Left Bias” on this cite. Not even moderate. So I guess it’s accurate at least 😂😂 https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/?s=CNN+

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I don't know much about owning/running a local newspaper. But I wonder why they didn't take advantage of the stimulus and take the "loan" that is forgivable if they don't lay anyone off. Maybe they couldn't wait to receive it and literally had no money to "front" paychecks to those folks. Just thinking out loud, so to speak. Sorry to hear about your wife, Tony.

It's really unfortunate that 3-4 million (and growing) people are losing jobs. I can only imagine, especially with the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Hopefully there will be a couple more waves of $ checks coming for those in need, this first wave is helpful but not nearly enough to weather the storm longer.

If you're healthy, still making a paycheck and still have a job to go back to...count your blessings!

Cost of running the business keeps getting more expensive. This isn't really a newspaper thing so much as an everywhere thing.

10 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Dude, I’m not trying to be mean when I say this, but you are completely out of touch with reality. 

This is a very, very serious situation. Look at the projections, which are now being supported by the trends. The US cases right now are increasing faster than any other country in the world. The healthcare system is still holding on by a thread but it will be overwhelmed in parts of the country soon - and when that happens things will get really bad in those areas. 

These are facts, not conspiracy theories. Everyone needs to practice social distancing to flatten the curve. I just don’t get how some people can see what’s going on, read the firsthand reports, see the statistics and projections - and still not take this seriously or think it’s some kind of political conspiracy. Makes no sense at all to me.

I think part of it, unfortunately, is the media itself. They have spent years (ALL of them) pushing agendas, using hyperbole/panic/sky is falling to sell. They’re a business. They’re paid by clicks. And it’s what sells. So as this headed our way, there was reluctance (even from myself) to not believe this was any different than the fear they’ve sold in the past. 
That said, the conspiracy-ish theory of it all is too much, and something I don’t quite get. Everyone should now realize the enormity of this, and grasp that IF we’re able to keep death rates down, it’s due to the unprecedented shut down of the country which makes it happen. 
I’m in Michigan. There have been 3 or 4 Detroit police officers to die already, and over 100 more are quarantined. Anyone, at this point, who doesn’t recognize the gravity of this simply isn’t paying attention. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I think part of it, unfortunately, is the media itself. They have spent years (ALL of them) pushing agendas, using hyperbole/panic/sky is falling to sell. They’re a business. They’re paid by clicks. And it’s what sells. So as this headed our way, there was reluctance (even from myself) to not believe this was any different than the fear they’ve sold in the past. 
That said, the conspiracy-ish theory of it all is too much, and something I don’t quite get. Everyone should now realize the enormity of this, and grasp that IF we’re able to keep death rates down, it’s due to the unprecedented shut down of the country which makes it happen. 
I’m in Michigan. There have been 3 or 4 Detroit police officers to die already, and over 100 more are quarantined. Anyone, at this point, who doesn’t recognize the gravity of this simply isn’t paying attention. 

Good post, fair enough. I personally took it lightly too when it was still in China/Korea/Japan. It wasn’t until it made it to Italy and I started reading some of the first hand accounts from doctors over there and saw what it looked like when their health system was completely overrun that I realized the seriousness of this thing. 

• Like 1

@jfazz23 Your mentality is seriously dangerous and out of touch with reality.  Cases in NY and NJ keep piling up and the deaths are multiplying daily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

the media (propaganda) and politically motivated organizations have been pissing on our legs and telling us its raining.

difference between you and me is i pop them in the mouth, you grab an umbrella

I don't get what you pop in your mouth. Are you punching the media or taking piss pills?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Very well said.  I was in the same boat.  A friend of mine was talking a lot about Corona quite a while ago.  I kind of made fun of him (we all tease each other) initially, assuming it was another media scare like killer bees or dozens of others.  But at our Super Bowl party he started laying down hard facts and I began to realize he was right.

The news media deserve some blame for sure because of all the bogus stories.  At the height of their ebola panic, I happened to catch the BBC on the radio on the way home from work and they interviewed an actual expert on the issue, who explained ebola would never be a major threat in the first world because of the way it was transmitted.  Our media just kept running with it and this sort of thing has conditioned me to pretty much disregard anything they say.  

The good news is we can all look things up for ourselves now.  There are tons of empirical studies readily available online and even for those of us who don't understand the details, it's often easy to get the overall picture.  In a situation such as this, we can easily find out what the top researches have to say and listen to direct reports from people on the front lines with no media filter.

They are all saying this is serious.  Hopefully this episode will hammer that lesson home.  Don't listen to Rush. Don't listen to Rachael. They are entertainers. Google "Corona studies." Or whatever the subject at hand might be. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

@jfazz23 Your mentality is seriously dangerous and out of touch with reality.  Cases in NY and NJ keep piling up and the deaths are multiplying daily.

But do you even lift bro? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't get what you pop in your mouth. Are you punching the media or taking piss pills?

I think he meant poop in his mouth.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I think he meant poop in his mouth.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

image.png.636a540017768c7f3e79327f0be1ac07.png

Looking at Italy and Spain's daily death tolls and the amount of new cases they're still getting, I wonder how far off that 500k figure was for the UK.  They have more people and higher population density. This isn't going away anytime soon either.  I suppose now they think they can contain it to where only 20K people are lost.  Still a huge number. At this rate Italy will be there in 2 weeks.

And a lot of people were excited about Japan baseball opening up.  They now have 3 players in the league who tested positive.  They're now fearful in a surge of cases.  They were all out partying a few days ago now they're told to go back to their homes and stay in.  This thing is not going away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

And a lot of people were excited about Japan baseball opening up.  They now have 3 players in the league who tested positive.  They're now fearful in a surge of cases.  They were all out partying a few days ago now they're told to go back to their homes and stay in.  This thing is not going away.

I am afraid this is exactly what will happen over and over again until they get a vaccine.  Mid 2021?

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

I am afraid this is exactly what will happen over and over again until they get a vaccine.  Mid 2021?

baseball mid May!

9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

baseball mid May!

Perish the thought🙁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JCD said:

How about now?

There was a link. With nothing else. I had no idea what you were trying to say. I still don’t. So, same.

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

There was a link. With nothing else. I had no idea what you were trying to say. I still don’t. So, same.

This thread is about corona virus right?
And the link is about MLB games in London in June.
Still nothing?

Well, the answer is that those games just got cancelled, because of the virus epidemic, as predicted.

NFL draft in April will be the only sporting "event" in April. Maybe NHL, NBA, MLB can push their drafts up to April from June just to give fans some real sports news? A lot of businesses and entire industries will be devastated for years. Hotels. car rentals, busses, Airlines, tourism, are just a few doubtful recover fully. 

1 minute ago, JCD said:

This thread is about corona virus right?
And the link is about MLB games in London in June.
Still nothing?

Well, the answer is that those games just got cancelled, because of the virus epidemic, as predicted.

Thanks. These words help convey your meaning. Because you click on the link and it says “to buy tickets now.” So yeah, was a little confused as to what you were attempting to say.

5 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

NFL draft in April will be the only sporting "event" in April. Maybe NHL, NBA, MLB can push their drafts up to April from June just to give fans some real sports news? A lot of businesses and entire industries will be devastated for years. Hotels. car rentals, busses, Airlines, tourism, are just a few doubtful recover fully. 

They'll have to somehow do the draft remotely. No way they're filling a convention center full of people in Las Vegas in a matter of weeks.

• Like 1

I recommend watching the daily WH press conferences that have been starting around 5-6 PM EST, if for nothing else, to listen to Dr. Fauci and Birx. Both are highly regarded experts and leaders in the field of infectious diseases.