bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

10 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I recommend watching the daily WH press conferences that have been starting around 5-6 PM EST, if for nothing else, to listen to Dr. Fauci and Birx. Both are highly regarded experts and leaders in the field of infectious diseases. 

Agree, they have both been excellent. In Ohio we're also very fortunate to have Dr. Amy Acton, who has been straightforward and has not minced words about the threat we face. These are the people we need to be listening to.

1 hour ago, hailfire4 said:

NFL draft in April will be the only sporting "event" in April. Maybe NHL, NBA, MLB can push their drafts up to April from June just to give fans some real sports news? A lot of businesses and entire industries will be devastated for years. Hotels. car rentals, busses, Airlines, tourism, are just a few doubtful recover fully. 

Goodell makin that chedda 

Saaavy ...knowing all the attention will be on the nfl. 👏

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’ve seen a few more personal stories that fit under the Corona Discussion umbrella (which is different than that pee umbrella, FYI). But considering we’re all affected in some way, all at least partially isolated, I thought it might be therapeutic to “talk” about what you’re dealing with, and to hear other stories. 
I’m a middle school teacher. It’s in a lower income area, so I’m trying my best to keep in contact with parents/students via email. About half have replied. Less than that are doing some of the tasks I’m giving them to work on. I’m extremely happy some are working, but it’s challenging trying to reach them. I’ve been going weekly to our school, where we package and hand out a week’s worth of breakfast and lunch for our families. Both weeks we packaged and handed out over 1200 meals. 
I’m also a parent of 4, all school age. One HS, one MS, and two elementary students. That of course is presenting its own challenges. The older two are having a harder time with the quarantine because they actually had a social life. The little ones are doing pretty well. That said, the older ones are in constant contact with their teachers and need little from me. The younger two need to be kept focused, and it feels I’m on 13 different websites getting what we need. It’s exhausting for me as a teacher, so I can only imagine how some others may feel. 
Other than that, I know I’m extremely lucky in that both my wife and I are fine as far as work and being paid. She’s able to work from home. I also know we’re lucky in that we have each other. A house of 6 (and a puppy to walk) allows for a lot of time and togetherness. There are others who may be alone, have an empty home, and struggling a lot more.

Thanks for listening, lol. Anyone else want to share their story? 

There needs to be summer school and Saturdays to make up this time.  There could be no better lesson to teach our kids in grit and responsibility than by doing that.  I'd abandon any pretense of distance learning and video learning at this point and advocate for school in July and six days a week whenever the most stringent social distancing rules are loosened.

1 minute ago, AJdude said:

There needs to be summer school and Saturdays to make up this time.  There could be no better lesson to teach our kids in grit and responsibility than by doing that.  I'd abandon any pretense of distance learning and video learning at this point and advocate for school in July and six days a week whenever the most stringent social distancing rules are loosened.

At this point the online learning is “extension” learning that is simply to keep the kids active and engaged, and the parents sane. 
I am not sure what will happen, but what’s ultimately decided will be a political decision made between government officials and school districts/unions. 
So I won’t abandon anything I think can benefit my students, as I have no idea what will happen next month, let alone this summer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

NFL draft in April will be the only sporting "event" in April. Maybe NHL, NBA, MLB can push their drafts up to April from June just to give fans some real sports news? A lot of businesses and entire industries will be devastated for years. Hotels. car rentals, busses, Airlines, tourism, are just a few doubtful recover fully. 

There are a couple UFC events scheduled in April and Dana F'N White says he's not cancelling UFC 249.  I can't blame him for wanting to do it. They'd probably make a truck load of money in PPV buys. It's a good main event and people are itching for live sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/19/ufc-249-khabib-ferguson-fight-not-canceled/

Recovery numbers shot up today...Treat those who need it, those with mild symptoms should self-quarantine and avoid tests and treatment. Turn the world back as soon as the supplies are ready

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Recovery numbers shot up today..

Link? 

Well, with cases growing exponentially, recoveries will as well. Definitely good advice for the infected but otherwise healthy to stay home as long as possible, though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Well, with cases growing exponentially, recoveries will as well. Definitely good advice for the infected but otherwise healthy to stay home as long as possible, though. 

Yeah, obviously, but i also have been saying something similar to this as well in another regard...

The more testing that becomes available, the higher the infected cases will go.. but to most on here, all that signifies is that the world is ending.

3 minutes ago, jonninho said:

but to most on here, all that signifies is that the world is ending.

Maybe engage with the conversation that's actually happening?  Nobody has said the world is ending, or anything close to it.  Folks have linked to firsthand accounts of hospitals being overwhelmed, medical staff being forced to use inadequate personal protective equipment or none at all, and a lack of testing kits that could be used to slow the spread by identifying infected individuals and tracing their contacts.  None of that adds up to "the world is ending", but it's still pretty bad.  If you think none of that is bad, then just say so without caricaturing one side of the conversation you disagree with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I'm not sure those recovery numbers are accurate and it doesn't look like they provide a source for it.  I see the updated cases that match with other sites, but their recovery numbers don't match the others

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed snarky callout.

28 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'm not sure those recovery numbers are accurate and it doesn't look like they provide a source for it.  I see the updated cases that match with other sites, but their recovery numbers don't match the others

All numbers have sources...you just need to do the math.

(Total cases - Total Active cases) - Total deaths = Total Recovered

Posted (edited)

I posted THREE major baseball updates about MLB's contingency plans etc agreed on by both MLB and the Players Association in the Coronavirus Baseball Impact thread here right now.  You might want to check out that thread regards 29 man rosters and safety concerns and playoff teams possibly expanded etc etc.  Also, as here, baseball and it's players are taking the health risks seriously and won't jump into a season before that is addressed.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

All numbers have sources...you just need to do the math.

(Total cases - Total Active cases) - Total deaths = Total Recovered

What about those that are not documented as a case and have recovered? I'm in NYC and getting tested is extremely difficult if you are not hospital worthy or a healthcare worker or a first responder.

21 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

What about those that are not documented as a case and have recovered? I'm in NYC and getting tested is extremely difficult if you are not hospital worthy or a healthcare worker or a first responder.

If you have mild symptoms, you are supposed to self-quarantine and not waste a test (assume you have it ) and recover on your own ( Vitamin C, rest, etc... ). Save the tests for the needy

HCQ working like a charm.  new 80 patient study in France.  more "anecdotal evidence" i guess 😁

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

"We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 yearold patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold."

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

HCQ working like a charm.  new 80 patient study in France.  more "anecdotal evidence" i guess 😁

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

"We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 yearold patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold."

Trump got blasted for suggesting this was a gamechanger

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

Trump got blasted for suggesting this was a gamechanger

yes by people like Tony and a handful of others here who consistently laugh at me.  this is not even as bad as the flu.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Watch this country finally get its a** in gear if this were to happen.

Taking a victory lap based on a new study by the same fraudster who put out the first ridiculously bastardized study?

Enjoy, man.  I'll let the scientists weigh in on this one in due time, just like they did when they found all of the junk science in his first one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Maybe engage with the conversation that's actually happening?  Nobody has said the world is ending, or anything close to it.  Folks have linked to firsthand accounts of hospitals being overwhelmed, medical staff being forced to use inadequate personal protective equipment or none at all, and a lack of testing kits that could be used to slow the spread by identifying infected individuals and tracing their contacts.  None of that adds up to "the world is ending", but it's still pretty bad.  If you think none of that is bad, then just say so without caricaturing one side of the conversation you disagree with.

the world isn’t ending but the media and many people in this thread who buy into their narratives have engaged in fear-mongering and fixation on worst-case scenarios that are nowhere near going to happen (read: anyone who has claimed that “millions will die” in the U.S. without also qualifying the conditions that would supposedly happen). Those worst case scenarios were always based on the assumption that no measures would be taken and obviously measures have been taken by almost everyone.

Even now you’re seeing the entities that modeled exorbitant death numbers walking their predictions back.

We’re somewhere between “world is ending” and “not a big deal” but the prevailing narrative across the world has been closer to “world is ending” and demonizing the people who choose to think critically about the numbers and dare to question the extreme actions being taken

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1