bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

22 minutes ago, Redphan said:

I read that you have less than 1% chance of dying if you get the Corona (.66%); I know the older population is affected more but man..can we get back to normal within the next month please!

And where did you read that?
image.png.7ebbb3ca5cc75ae0385234c9ff113fc5.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

We really don't need to dig that far back when people are still making asinine "baseball in May" posts.  A lot of people early on had no idea.  Media and government were saying US shouldn't be concerned.  Many people in the medical field didn't believe it was anything worse than a "bad flu season"  as if it was only killing people who were already on the verge of dying.  Most people have woke up by now, but still so many tin foil cap wearers too.

This is a tragedy. This has upended everyone’s lives in some way. And like death, people are handling things differently. Some people look at worst case scenario. Some people just try to to look at things logically. And some people need to have some hope. Hope isn’t a bad thing (as long as they’re not ignoring safety protocol), and I don’t think we need to call it asinine that people are hopeful our country will have some normalcy in 6 weeks. It might be unlikely, but let’s let everyone deal with this tragedy in their own way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is a tragedy. This has upended everyone’s lives in some way. And like death, people are handling things differently. Some people look at worst case scenario. Some people just try to to look at things logically. And some people need to have some hope. Hope isn’t a bad thing (as long as they’re not ignoring safety protocol), and I don’t think we need to call it asinine that people are hopeful our country will have some normalcy in 6 weeks. It might be unlikely, but let’s let everyone deal with this tragedy in their own way.

Ok Dr. Phil.. You're just assuming these people are using "Baseball in May" as some kind of coping mechanism :facepalm:  Rather than they just have a total lack of awareness to the magnitude of this pandemic.  Jeez probably in the last 10 comments we have someone else saying there's less to be concerned with COVID19 than the seasonal flu.

Plenty of people (members here too) believe this is just propaganda and conspiracy.  Those people are far more common than you think (thats obvious)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Ok Dr. Phil.. You're just assuming these people are using "Baseball in May" as some kind of coping mechanism :facepalm:  Rather than they just have a total lack of awareness to the magnitude of this pandemic.  Jeez probably in the last 10 comments we have someone else saying there's less to be concerned with COVID19 than the seasonal flu.

Plenty of people (members here too) believe this is just propaganda and conspiracy.  Those people are far more common than you think (thats obvious)

Denial, also a coping mechanism. But...

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Its crazy how you group up the 'baseball in May' people.. me being one of them and think its entirely crazy to have some level of optimism. Look, you view the numbers and read the reports the way you wish to do.. i view the numbers and read the reports the way i do.. we clearly have different perspectives on this.. whats the issue? Its not like i am ignoring the situation and going outside licking everyones face that walks by.. i have been super cautious and am more than aware of the magnitude of this pandemic.. so stop categorizing people and thinking you know everything about everyone.. cuz frankly, its moronic of you.

Baseball in may!

Edited by jonninho
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Its crazy how you group up the 'baseball in May' people.. me being one of them and think its entirely crazy to have some level of optimism. Look, you view the numbers and read the reports the way you wish to do.. i view the numbers and read the reports the way i do.. we clearly have different perspectives on this.. whats the issue? Its not like i am ignoring the situation and going outside licking everyones face that walks by.. i have been super cautious and am more than aware of the magnitude of this pandemic.. so stop categorizing people and thinking you know everything about everyone.. cuz frankly, its moronic of you.

Baseball in may!

Oh make no mistake you're one of the main ones I'm talking about.  Blind optimism and stuck on repeat with the "baseball in May" thing.  You just don't get it.  Or maybe its your coping mechanism that BS was talking about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

Baseball in may!

0 and I mean 0% baseball in May or even June, be lucky if we start July

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Somehow Kaiser has sent my antibiotics to the wrong address and is now refusing to send a refill.  So this is gonna be fun now.

18 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Its like you think that this is the first pandemic the human race has ever experienced. 

Its the 1st one I have ever heard of that closed down everything and told everyone to stay home. 

18 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You think social distancing is going to be permanent? Unlikely. Also I assume next flu season after the pandemic is over might be a lot better because of how many people are now informed on how to be more hygienic and cautious in certain situations.

Yes Its permanent forever.  We can simply not take a chance with large groups of people gathering anymore its to dangerous.  Just like our Behavior was modified by 911 and we all accepted all the safety and security inconveniences at the airport we didn't use to have.  This is a farther modification to take away more freedoms from you life and give us more sanctions and restrictions.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Not 100%, but pretty sure @Trexpenniebaker is being sarcastic in this post.  Hopefully anyway lmao.

Maybe I am Maybe I ain't LOL But like 911 life is going to be a lot different moving forward.

Edited by Trexpenniebaker

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jonninho said:

Baseball in may!

Baseball in May?  Fine line between optimism and reckless stupidity.  The problem with people not taking this seriously from the beginning has led to dire consequences and an escalating death toll.  The fact that some people STILL don't get it is mind-boggling.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Redphan said:

I read that you have less than 1% chance of dying if you get the Corona (.66%); I know the older population is affected more but man..can we get back to normal within the next month please!

Normal like you knew it before Is NEVER coming back. Like 911 we don't fly like we Normally did before 911. we do things Much different now . Before 911 you could take guns  knives whatever you wanted pretty much on airplanes has long has they fit in the overhead door. and  they used to have Smoking  on the plane too.  Everyone could walk around the airport at will if they had a ticket or not. Curb side baggage check in  You met you pick up at your gate for your ride.  Didn't have to take off your shoes and belts and go thru 3 sets of screening to get on a plane. That was normal back then. Normal is never coming back

Lol at the turn this thread has took at the reckless optimists and dooms day pessimists. We are that bored...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reichl555 said:

You have better odds dying in a car accident tomorrow. 

I think your daily odds of dying in a car crash are pretty low

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Lol at the turn this thread has took at the reckless optimists and dooms day pessimists. We are that bored...

Like I said, baseball in May! 

OR

People living in literal bubbles starting in July until the end of days. 

• Haha 1

I do think it's possible for most of "normal" to come back once an effective vaccine is created. Someone posted an article earlier talking about how covid mutates slowly and that the mutations aren't very different. This could help make a vaccine far more effective than the one they develop each year for projected flu strains.

Hopefully some of the habits learned from this event (wash hands more, sanitize more, practice some sort of social distancing) will carry on even if covid is no longer a concern (not unlike 2009 H1N1 aka Swine Flu). This will help with the seasonal flu and norovirus, both of both take their tolls on the populace every year. 

The social distancing, even less restrictive in the future, is the hard part. People cant even do it now. 

42 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Normal like you knew it before Is NEVER coming back. Like 911 we don't fly like we Normally did before 911. we do things Much different now . Before 911 you could take guns  knives whatever you wanted pretty much on airplanes has long has they fit in the overhead door. and  they used to have Smoking  on the plane too.  Everyone could walk around the airport at will if they had a ticket or not. Curb side baggage check in  You met you pick up at your gate for your ride.  Didn't have to take off your shoes and belts and go thru 3 sets of screening to get on a plane. That was normal back then. Normal is never coming back

lol wtf are you talking about.  You couldn't just carry guns and knives onto planes before 9/11. A lot of things did change though.  What's likely to change following this pandemic is people just being more conscious of hand hygiene and being more sanitary.  Maybe people will stop eating bats and all that other nasty stuff too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I think your daily odds of dying in a car crash are pretty low

Exactly my point.  You have less than 1% of dying from this virus.  Media hyping this **** to unbelievable heights.  CBS just got busted for showing fake footage of a NY hospital.  It was actually Italy hospitals they were showing.  Like the one guy on CNN said the other day, “The fear and paranoia from this virus will be far worse than the virus itself”. Folks I’m not saying this isn’t serious by any means but this hype train is real. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Exactly my point.  You have less than 1% of dying from this virus.  Media hyping this **** to unbelievable heights.  CBS just got busted for showing fake footage of a NY hospital.  It was actually Italy hospitals they were showing.  Like the one guy on CNN said the other day, “The fear and paranoia from this virus will be far worse than the virus itself”. Folks I’m not saying this isn’t serious by any means but this hype train is real. 

I’m guessing you don’t have a loved one who is a nurse or doctor and on the front lines. Because if you did and heard the nightly stories, you just wouldn’t say this. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

There's no sports on.....we gotta have SOMETHING to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Somehow Kaiser has sent my antibiotics to the wrong address and is now refusing to send a refill.  So this is gonna be fun now.

That's a bummer.  I hope this gets worked out for you.  Don't give up.  If you have to call up your local media stations and have them make calls and shame Kaiser into doing the right thing after threatening to report this on air.

1 hour ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Its the 1st one I have ever heard of that closed down everything and told everyone to stay home. 

Guess you didn't do too well in history class, did you.

1 hour ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

LOL!  Or even recent history.  You couldn't take guns and knives other than a small pocket knife aboard a plan pre-911.  And smoking stopped way before that.  And when there was still smoking on planes it was confined to a rear smoking section. 

And guess what?  Until this coronavirus outbreak people were flying more than ever.  And they will again.  People traveled all over the world after 911 and found 99% of it safe and friendly and wonderful.  They will again.

And what the hell does any of this "the world has changed forever" have to do with the coronavirus?  I mean did you, before this coronavirus, avoid crowds like it was still 1918?  No you did not.  After 1918 people got back to normal world wide just like they will after this one.  [Please, I'm begging you, read some history].

36 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

You misunderstood. Your lifetime odds of dying in a car crash are less than 1%. Assuming an average lifespan of 75 years (x365 days)=27375. That means that on a given day, your odds of dying in a car crash is 0.00004%. 

If you get coronavirus, your odds of not surviving are probably around 1% (although currently showing higher, but that's a different issue)

25 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

There's no sports on.....we gotta have SOMETHING to watch.

Is there any action on Bovada for this thread?