bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

14 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

On my God, you can't be serious.  Yeah, don't cancel Wimbledon.  Instead let's just fly in scores and scores of the very top tennis players in the world all leaving from different airports with different grades of health-wise provisions and then they come over in airplanes that are glorified petri dishes where they will be exposed to hundreds of other people.  Then Heathrow has to deal with them and they with the officials there.  Then they have to be housed and fed and transported by hundreds of Brits.

Then maintenance and janitors and refs and organizers and ball boys and girls have to go out and be involved.  The network covering it has to do set-up preparations that involves scores of people.

And this doesn't even take into consideration all the  law breaking that would go in Britain and the home countries of these players to travel there and then stage this.  More than 10 gathered in a spot.  Some countries have bans of entry back even of citizens now so some players could be trapped in the UK for months away from their families.  Britain could have a ban on foreigners entry by then.  Right now people outside of Europe can't enter the EU at all. Period.  Britain could be next on travel bans.

Also part of the US Open facilities are being converted into an emergency hospital area.  We could see the same thing happen with the Wimbledon facilities for London soon.

Short version of the above.  Tennis is NOT something essential at this point.  People being adult and responsible and making their top priority doing their part to stop the spread and save lives is.

since things don't have to be the same, why would Wimbledon have to be in the same place it always has been?

organizers don't have to be there in person to organize.

what should be essential is things that are more normal so that people don't literally go crazy. we have months of this left, with no sports at all. some people are going to have a mental break down.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

since things don't have to be the same, why would Wimbledon have to be in the same place it always has been?

what should be essential is things that are more normal so that people don't literally go crazy. we have months of this left, with no sports at all. some people are going to have a mental break down.

Really...a mental breakdown with no sports? Did not know the human psyche was that fragile...with just a small nudge to push them out of the light

• Like 1

Positive note...Gov of Massachusetts got 1.2 million masks from CHina using the Patriots plane. That is good leadership right there to take care of his own state

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halo Fan said:

So definitely go IBS in keeper and dynasty formats?

I think I had a stroke while typing that

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Positive note...Gov of Massachusetts got 1.2 million masks from CHina using the Patriots plane. That is good leadership right there to take care of his own state

I would assume Brady was piloting the plane, but, you know...

12 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Really...a mental breakdown with no sports? Did not know the human psyche was that fragile...with just a small nudge to push them out of the light

Just take a look at our world.. the human psyche is as fragile as it ever has been.. we re stocking up on toilet paper for God's sake.. as if a clean a** is going to solve all of the worlds issues..

Yes, no sports for an extended period of time, combined with all these lock downs.. people will go crazy..

All these athletes and celebrities and politicians demanding everyone stay at home..

how easy it is for them.. sending this message from their mansions with acres of lands.. personal home gyms.. swimming pools.. indoor basketball courts.. While those they are appealing to live in a small congested apartment with 3 kids to take care of (which is a large % of the population)...  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I agree with you completely.. i believe people are making a bigger deal out of the whole 'how many people it takes to run an event' thing..

why cant baseball games be run with the players/staff, umpires and camera men.. the broadcasters dont even need to be in the stadium to be honest (although it would be easy to keep them distant from anyone else)..

its a naturally spaced out game.. 

22 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That just looks like a dress rehearsal.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Doesn't make much difference right now...Michigan has a stay at home order for a while and we are soon to be the third highest cases. Texas has less than half the cases so whatever they are doing it is working...for now

What they are doing is NOT testing many people.  No real testing, no stats to report so you get this false imagine of everything being fine then ... ka-boom!  Texas is about to explode.  At least the mayors of some of the biggest cities have been doing their best to get lockdowns and social distances into place in those cities but without a state-wide policy Texas is leaking like a sieve in keeping the virus contained.

52 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

LOL.  Tennis isn't exactly "the people's sport" to start with so I doubt if 99% of the world even notices it's absence.  And since your post was in answer to mine you have not explained HOW you would fly in scores and scores of the top elite tennis players from every corner of the world on flying petri dishes or even get them into Britain if the UK follows every otehr country in the world and bans all foreigners from entry.

38 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I would assume Brady was piloting the plane, but, you know...

No but now that the Florida governor FINALLY ordered the belated state-wide stay-at-home I am sure Brady will be flying masks into the Tampa-St Petersburg area.  (Florida governor finally got shamed into this AFTER all the horses left the barn and said he ONLY did it because Trump said over the weekend that the situation was, you know, kind of serious.  Governor couldn't do anything on his own like most other governors in the nation.  And this in a state whee 1 out of every 5 people are seniors.  Twit). 

Anyway Brady and Peyton Manning are suppose to have a one-on-one shoot out on some golf course to raise money for coronavirus relief.  Promises of proper social distancing for all as golf is about the only "sport" that has enough wide open space and boring, non-contact play to manage a very short, one-off, two person match.  And since both men can fly in on fancy private planes all nice and sanitized for them, they don't have to get aboard regular airliners or go through big airports.

Meanwhile back here in New England they have been playing a one minute message from Bill Belichick in his trademark open and warm and cuddly fireside chat persona (*cough*) telling everyone to STAY AT HOME.  You get the feeling if you don't the hoodie will cut your from team human race in an instant.

• Like 1

Has anybody heard with NY Yankees pitcher Zach Britton said?

I will paraphrase it, as i do not have the exact article infront of me, but, during a radio interview, he said that the MLB and the Union has already discussed '4 or 5' neutral locations for the Yankees to play in this season. The belief is if there is ball, the Yanks wont be playing in NY given the current situation. He then proceeded to question if this is information he should be letting out to the world or not, but continued forward.

So, to those who believe neutral locations will be of use, it seems that is what is already being discussed. I dont think this would shock or truly upset anybody.. i wonder if the neutral site stuff would apply to ALL teams, or only teams in very severe conditions like the Yankees.

The rumour is Manfred is still seeking a 100 game schedule, and that the hope is things can get ramped up in May although some owners are expressing doubt about that possibility.

30 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What they are doing is NOT testing many people.  No real testing, no stats to report so you get this false imagine of everything being fine then ... ka-boom!  Texas is about to explode.  At least the mayors of some of the biggest cities have been doing their best to get lockdowns and social distances into place in those cities but without a state-wide policy Texas is leaking like a sieve in keeping the virus contained.

LOL.  Tennis isn't exactly "the people's sport" to start with so I doubt if 99% of the world even notices it's absence.  And since your post was in answer to mine you have not explained HOW you would fly in scores and scores of the top elite tennis players from every corner of the world on flying petri dishes or even get them into Britain if the UK follows every otehr country in the world and bans all foreigners from entry.

No but now that the Florida governor FINALLY ordered the belated state-wide stay-at-home I am sure Brady will be flying masks into the Tampa-St Petersburg area.  (Florida governor finally got shamed into this AFTER all the horses left the barn and said he ONLY did it because Trump said over the weekend that the situation was, you know, kind of serious.  Governor couldn't do anything on his own like most other governors in the nation.  And this in a state whee 1 out of every 5 people are seniors.  Twit). 

Anyway Brady and Peyton Manning are suppose to have a one-on-one shoot out on some golf course to raise money for coronavirus relief.  Promises of proper social distancing for all as golf is about the only "sport" that has enough wide open space and boring, non-contact play to manage a very short, one-off, two person match.  And since both men can fly in on fancy private planes all nice and sanitized for them, they don't have to get aboard regular airliners or go through big airports.

Meanwhile back here in New England they have been playing a one minute message from Bill Belichick in his trademark open and warm and cuddly fireside chat persona (*cough*) telling everyone to STAY AT HOME.  You get the feeling if you don't the hoodie will cut your from team human race in an instant.

The Florida governor did issue stay at home orders except for relegious gatherings which means churches will be full on Sundays, this guy is just clueless.

8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

🤦‍♂️

This can't be real.

Wake up Gov-nah!

tenor.gif?itemid=11078192

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What they are doing is NOT testing many people. 

But Donald said "Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is," Trump told reporters March 6 during a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

but now that the Florida governor FINALLY ordered the belated state-wide stay-at-home

1. Afterall he is a Trump puppet 

A stunning admission of deadly ignorance from Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp,

2. Another puppet 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

🤦‍♂️

Okay I guess this guy is even worse than the Florida jerk.  And yes I agree they are puppets who want to always please "Dear Leader" but I assume everyone knows that by now.  But they Georgia puppet is even more ridiculous than the Florida one which amazes me how that is even possible.

But hey don't underestimate the stupidity of parts of the human race.  There are reports out now so far unconfirmed officially that Doctor Fauci has just been assigned bodyguards because he is getting lots of dearth threats from right wing conspiracy nuts who seem to blame everything going on in the world on him right now.

46 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The Florida governor did issue stay at home orders except for relegious gatherings which means churches will be full on Sundays, this guy is just clueless.

Well I guess there are some bans locally on this because in Tampa they arrested that idiot preacher that was still holding his services where he went around "laying on hands" etc.  That was a couple of days ago.

Also no MLB player has tested positive yet that we know of but:

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told reporters Thursday that an employee in the organization has tested positive for COVID-19.

The employee is based year-round in St. Louis and never traveled to the Cardinals' spring training facility in Jupiter, Florida, though that facility will remain closed nonetheless except for the purpose of one-on-one medical rehab appointments. That's all the available information at this time.

Source: Mark Saxon on Twitter                Apr 2, 2020, 10:56 AM ET

This stuff is gonna keep happening unfortunately.  Seems inevitable that the virus will eventually invade the MLB enough to cause quarantines in the future for some teams due to their organizations being hit or their facilities or workers at "neutral sites" etc.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

6 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The British Open, oldest championship in gplf has now been cancelled. It was supposed to take place in the middle of July, and The ATP and WTP tennis orgs have said all events until July 13 have either been postponed or cancelled. So how does baseball or any other sport start before that or even at all.

Is there any reason why they must cancel things so far out in advance? Can they not wait to see how this develops in the next month or two? 

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

🤦‍♂️

Brian Kemp everybody.

5 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

🤦‍♂️

I'll go with blatant liar over deadly ignorant.

A little off topic, but potentially a point of interest:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/nba-players-whove-beaten-covid-19-donate-blood/story?id=69909547

Nba players who have recovered from Coronavirus are donating blood to help with treatments. With all the brain power in the world working on this, the tons of treatments that are being tested, the number of tests that are becoming available, surely, we gotta find a solution sooner rather than later..

Also an interesting note: Britain is considering documents/passports of some nature that people who have recovered from Coronavirus will be required to carry around and allow themselves to go back to their normal lives. The belief as we already know is once recovered, you are immune. although i dont believe theres enough data to back that up for sure..

We are currently at 18 deaths per million and 727 active cases per million. Let’s give the malaria drugs more time to keep people off ventilators.