bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Feels inevitable that games will be cancelled and the season shortened. I hope I’m wrong.

11 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

This is a very irresponsible take, IMO.  Even if it's not particularly dangerous to the young, when the young are infected they are hosts and it will eventually pass to the elderly and immune compromised to whom it has high potential to be fatal.  Games could be played in empty stadiums not just to protect the players on the field, but also the people in the stands.

You are putting words in my mouth. My only take was that it wasn't particularly dangerous to the players; I didn't comment on anybody in the stands and think it's entirely reasonable to play games in empty stadiums. I think the fact that it's not necessarily dangerous to the players does, however, make it more likely that games will be played in some capacity, albeit with extra precautions taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cheppy said:

Feels inevitable that games will be cancelled and the season shortened. I hope I’m wrong.

Everything I've heard so far is that teams are open to playing in empty stadiums or moving games to other locations, not cancelling games or shortening the season.

Edited by El_Chingon

NBA owners apparently on a conference call today. May move games to neutral sites, or play in empty stadiums. We have an NCAA tournament coming up. Seems decisions will be made now that’ll lead the path for MLB moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

NBA owners apparently on a conference call today. May move games to neutral sites, or play in empty stadiums. We have an NCAA tournament coming up. Seems decisions will be made now that’ll lead the path for MLB moving forward.

What does neutral sites have to do with it? If it’s spreading in the US enough to not have fans in your home stadium it’s probably spresding enough that nowhere is “safe” right?  

Seattle’s mayor will restrict gatherings of over 250. Sounds like it will effect the Mariners.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gov-inslee-to-restrict-gatherings-of-more-than-250-people-including-sports-and-concerts/%3famp=1

Not that they will attract more than 250 for any game. BA-ZING!

20 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Seattle’s mayor will restrict gatherings of over 250. Sounds like it will effect the Mariners.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gov-inslee-to-restrict-gatherings-of-more-than-250-people-including-sports-and-concerts/%3famp=1

Not that they will attract more than 250 for any game. BA-ZING!

Washington's Governor*

I wouldn't be surprised if other governors start to do the same thing.

Just now, Sidearmer said:

Washington's Governor*

I wouldn't be surprised if other governors start to do the same thing.

My bad...I meant governor. My brain doesn’t work well first thing in the morning.😂

Think of the minor league games like the Tacoma Rainiers that will have to play out of state also. Not saying the governor is wrong but convincing people with symptoms to stay home is not working great either.

2 hours ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

is baseball going to be effected? I feel as if it is only non-open air type venues that will be closed to the public?

Obviously it will be impacted since the Mariners are already talking about holding their Opening Day at their spring training facilities in Arizona due to crowd ban being put into effect in Washington state.  Other option is play in empty stadiums.

And what on earth does open versus dome stadiums have to do with anything?  A six foot perimeter of transmission range is a six foot perimeter and doesn't change inside or outside.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And what on earth does open versus dome stadiums have to do with anything?  A six foot perimeter of transmission range is a six foot perimeter and doesn't change inside or outside.

This.  You can still get sick if you're outside folks.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face and cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough, regardless of where you are.

I'm learning a lot about peoples' understandings of how viruses are transmitted based on their reactions to this, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Obviously it will be impacted since the Mariners are already talking about holding their Opening Day at their spring training facilities in Arizona due to crowd ban being put into effect in Washington state.  Other option is play in empty stadiums.

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

This.  You can still get sick if you're outside folks.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face and cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough, regardless of where you are.

I'm learning a lot about peoples' understandings of how viruses are transmitted based on their reactions to this, if nothing else.

You can certainly still get sick outside. That is a strawman that no one suggested. But he’s not wrong that open air, outdoor stadiums will in fact be much cleaner and safer. 

“He says sunlight, which is less abundant in winter, can also help break down viruses that have been transmitted to surfaces.

“UV light breaks down nucleic acid. It almost sterilizes [surfaces]. If you’re outside, it’s generally cleaner than inside simply because of that UV light,” he says.

UV light is so effective at killing bacteria and viruses it’s often used in hospitals to sterilize equipment.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He says sunlight, which is less abundant in winter, can also help break down viruses that have been transmitted to surfaces.

“UV light breaks down nucleic acid. It almost sterilizes [surfaces]. If you’re outside, it’s generally cleaner than inside simply because of that UV light,” he says.

UV light is so effective at killing bacteria and viruses it’s often used in hospitals to sterilize equipment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures

Appreciated, but also, "Though the coronavirus and the flu are both respiratory infections, not enough is known about SARS-CoV-2 to predict if it will have the same seasonal patterns."

I don't think that because of previous effects of UV light on other types of bugs we should be under the impression that we're safe outside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Appreciated, but also, "Though the coronavirus and the flu are both respiratory infections, not enough is known about SARS-CoV-2 to predict if it will have the same seasonal patterns."

I don't think that because of previous effects of UV light on other types of bugs we should be under the impression that we're safe outside.

I don't think the argument was safe as much as "safer" than an indoor, enclosed setting.

• Like 1

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Google UV rays and viruses. They’re saying that they can’t predict the pattern of this sickness. That doesn’t change the fact that UV light kills viruses.
No one is saying “safe outside.” Someone sneezes on you outside, or high five someone and then don’t wash your hands and eat, you can get sick. 
But we do know that UV light will kill viruses, and the relative humidity will help keep them contained (they pass easier in drier weather). 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Google UV rays and viruses. They’re saying that they can’t predict the pattern of this sickness. That doesn’t change the fact that UV light kills viruses.
No one is saying “safe outside.” Someone sneezes on you outside, or high five someone and then don’t wash your hands and eat, you can get sick. 
But we do know that UV light will kill viruses, and the relative humidity will help keep them contained (they pass easier in drier weather). 

You're not saying that, but the original quoted post said, "I feel as if it is only non-open air type venues that will be closed to the public."

Given what's happened with SXSW, Coachella, 2020 Ted Talks, etc that seems to be a non mutually shared opinion.

As Big Bat Theory stated, we've been informed by the CDC, WHO. etc. there is a six foot perimeter of transmission whether you are inside or out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

is baseball going to be effected? I feel as if it is only non-open air type venues that will be closed to the public?

What does open air vs not matter?  You'll still be in close proximity to hundreds of other strangers for extended periods of time.  one infected food vendor could literally infect thousands of people at a baseball game just as easily as an NBA game for example.

I personally think it's completely 100% inevitable that baseball will be effected. The only question is how strongly and for how long. 

Edited by LJJr
  • Like 2

The other consideration is that no one wants to be the decision-maker that proceeds with an event that winds up spreading the virus. Hence, the conservative calls like cancelling South by Southwest, campaign rallies, etc. Ohio State is already doing online-only courses. It's always taken an apocalyptic amount of snow or below zero temperatures to cancel classes there. I would look for very conservative moves by those in authority in the near future and I am certain there will be baseball in some empty stadiums to start the season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

This.

See: MRSA which transferred quite easily easily between people in the middle east when it was well over 100 degrees. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

But we do know that UV light will kill viruses,

You have said this endlessly here yet no health official here or anywhere in the world is willing to say that at this time regards the Corona one.  It may.  Or it may not.  This is new territory and we don't know how this virus will react to or adapt to warmer weather and more UV light.  Many types of species have adapted/mutated to threats to themselves.  So we can hope it will be deterred by it like the flu virus.  But we cannot know.

(Also what Junkie Cosmonaut said above).

And it is this uncertainty that must be acknowledged.  Not just shrugged off that this virus too will react like some others in the past to UV rays.  We won't know until warmer weather arrives.

I agree with TribeFoo too that the "abundance of caution" mantra will be repeated in baseball as well because nobody in authority wants deaths laid at their feet because they gambled that things would be fine.  The odds may well be very high that things will be fine.  But the fear of rolling snake eyes is there and in this case that throw can bring about deaths.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

This.

See: MRSA which transferred quite easily easily between people in the middle east when it was well over 100 degrees. 

No, not this. 
MRSA is a bacteria, not a virus. So I’ll assume you’re talking about MERS. This is a virus transmitted almost exclusively from animals to humans. There isn’t a correlation here between that and what we’re talking about, which would be outdoor seats not holding virus/droplets for long periods of time. Person to person could still happen at an outdoor stadium, of course, but the stadium wouldn’t need to be disinfected, as an indoor stadium would. 

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You have said this endlessly here yet no health official here or anywhere in the world is willing to say that at this time regards the Corona one.  It may.  Or it may not.  This is new territory and we don't know how this virus will react to or adapt to warmer weather and more UV light.  Many types of species have adapted/mutated to threats to themselves.  So we can hope it will be deterred by it like the flu virus.  But we cannot know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6now.com/2020/03/03/were-killing-that-cell-waukesha-company-uses-uv-c-light-to-eliminate-coronavirus/amp/