bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

We are currently at 18 deaths per million and 727 active cases per million. Let’s give the malaria drugs more time to keep people off ventilators. 

speaking of, do you know of how these treatments are going? and what states are actively providing patients with these drugs?

like said earlier in this thread when these drugs became a thing, i really anticipated more headlines and positive vibes about them, especially considering they ARE helping people based on the very few articles i have stumbled across.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jonninho said:

speaking of, do you know of how these treatments are going? and what states are actively providing patients with these drugs?

like said earlier in this thread when these drugs became a thing, i really anticipated more headlines and positive vibes about them, especially considering they ARE helping people based on the very few articles i have stumbled across.

My idiot governor in Michigan threatened doctors from using it so cant say from my state. She finally stopped campaigning on tv for the vp nomination and asked the federal government for some of these drugs so maybe Michigan’s numbers can start going down. I think they just help people to not need ventilators until their body can kill the virus. I still think the body has to kill it and not the drug cocktail

Edited by Dr. Whom

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I'm all for anything they can do to get some games in if done with the safety of everyone involved including the hotels, airline personal etc, but look at the bottom line of the story: "At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter till the virus gets under control and cities and people are able to go back to everyday lives, let alone watching baseball.” 

My take from the bold is, the players, owners and union do want it to happen, but not until the bold is a reality. Baseball and every other sport takes a backseat until this happens, no matter how much we want it to happen. There are going to be multiple stories, quotes etc that will shed some light as to when this may happen, but the fact remains that we are not even close to getting this under control. All you need to read is what's been going on in Fla and Ga, they just now got how dire things are, so it's going to get worse in some places before it gets better..Hold onto the hope,  but there's a long road to haul and we need to be patient while holding onto that hope..The world has come together in order to find the remedy, so there is hope that it'll happen sooner rather than later..meanwhile, we need to be reasonable in our posts and come together as a community and discuss this in a civil manner. We need to accept things as they are until they aren't....stay safe everyone, if we all keep washing  hands, using masks and gloves while in stores and such, we can flatten the curve, if not, it'll be longer before we return to normal, as subjective as normal is......here in central Ca, it's the hotbed of the state, and things are not getting better, yet, but UC Davis is working on things..fingers crossed it'll be soon as we are sheltering in place, and practicing safe hygiene..over 150 deaths in SJ county, and over 250 in Sac county..

Peace.

Edited by FISH ON

8 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I would assume Brady was piloting the plane, but, you know...

Under Brady, they would have lost "Cabin pressure"

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2020 at 9:18 PM, shakestreet said:

When I go into any store I wear a hat & have a mask don’t wear gloves. Wash hands before and after shopping 

When the coronavirus outbreak first hit in the U.S., public health officials urged most people to forego wearing a face mask. Not anymore: Experts are calling for masks or other facial covering in public as confirmed cases in the U.S. increase.

Mayo Clinic expects COVID-19 antibody test to be ready Monday. This will allow them to see who has already had COVID-19 and has the antibodies to fight it in their blood. Normal immune system takes around 12 days to create the antibodies

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Also, still alive for anyone wondering.  

Happy to hear man!

54 minutes ago, jb_power said:

This is great news. This is also the 10th (exaggeration) vaccine i have heard about. The issue IMO is while these vaccines are promising, it will still require upwards of a year minimum to have it ready for production and distribution to the public.

• Like 1

I believe the key to seeing sports and having the citizens of the world return to any sense of normalcy is via available, quick, and efficient testing... untill that happens, i dont anticipate much changing in our world as we see it on April 3rd, 2020. The bright side? i believe that testing availability is right around the corner..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonninho said:

This is great news. This is also the 10th (exaggeration) vaccine i have heard about. The issue IMO is while these vaccines are promising, it will still require upwards of a year minimum to have it ready for production and distribution to the public.

I was going to post this.  Hearing same for cures.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I was going to post this.  Hearing same for cures.

Thing is, we do not need a 'cure' to return to normalcy.. and its this that gives me a lot of optimism moving forward.

Edited by jonninho

I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s legitimate and what’s not and what’s politicized and what’s not WRT potential cures for this virus.  Can someone give me an objective Tl:dr on whether there are any effective measures we know to stop the virus apart from a fully fledged vaccine? 

Posted (edited)

Congratulations to North Korea for still having 0 COVID-19 cases. What a model for the world. Maybe we should abandon this whole free country thing.

Edited by fletch44
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, FISH ON said:

I'm all for anything they can do to get some games in if done with the safety of everyone involved including the hotels, airline personal etc, but look at the bottom line of the story: "At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter till the virus gets under control and cities and people are able to go back to everyday lives, let alone watching baseball.” 

My take from the bold is, the players, owners and union do want it to happen, but not until the bold is a reality. Baseball and every other sport takes a backseat until this happens, no matter how much we want it to happen. There are going to be multiple stories, quotes etc that will shed some light as to when this may happen, but the fact remains that we are not even close to getting this under control. All you need to read is what's been going on in Fla and Ga, they just now got how dire things are, so it's going to get worse in some places before it gets better..Hold onto the hope,  but there's a long road to haul and we need to be patient while holding onto that hope..The world has come together in order to find the remedy, so there is hope that it'll happen sooner rather than later..meanwhile, we need to be reasonable in our posts and come together as a community and discuss this in a civil manner. We need to accept things as they are until they aren't....stay safe everyone, if we all keep washing  hands, using masks and gloves while in stores and such, we can flatten the curve, if not, it'll be longer before we return to normal, as subjective as normal is......here in central Ca, it's the hotbed of the state, and things are not getting better, yet, but UC Davis is working on things..fingers crossed it'll be soon as we are sheltering in place, and practicing safe hygiene..over 150 deaths in SJ county, and over 250 in Sac county..

Peace.

The Georgia Gov is either not paying one lick of attention to this or he's blatantly lying for some reason.

We could possibly be half way through this thing if him and the Florida Gov had been paying attention to what other states did weeks ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

The Georgia Gov is either not paying one lick of attention to this or he's blatantly lying for some reason.

We could possibly be half way through this thing if him and the Florida Gov had been paying attention to what other states did weeks ago.

Knowing Kemp, it's the former.

30 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Knowing Kemp, it's the former.

Oh you're right, he's lying through his teeth to cover his a** after numerous other leaders in the House and Senate were all saying for weeks that we needed to do a statewide SIP. 

• Like 1

Early reports have the Navy Ship Comfort in New York being a colossal bust. They are not accepting COVID19 patients, just overflow from the hospital. Nobody is going to the ER ( probably for fear of virus ) so they only have 20 patients. Trump has not given the order to allow the ship to accept COVID19 patients yet...I assume because it is not equipped properly?

1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

Early reports have the Navy Ship Comfort in New York being a colossal bust. They are not accepting COVID19 patients, just overflow from the hospital. Nobody is going to the ER ( probably for fear of virus ) so they only have 20 patients. Trump has not given the order to allow the ship to accept COVID19 patients yet...I assume because it is not equipped properly?

My understanding is that was the plan all along. The ship was there to provide support for non-COVID patients so the regular hospitals could focus on those and have more capacity available. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

My understanding is that was the plan all along. The ship was there to provide support for non-COVID patients so the regular hospitals could focus on those and have more capacity available. 

They have guideline of some 49 rules they have to follow so ambulance cannot drop off at the ship. All patients must test negative for COV19 which renders the ship useless. No hospital is going to test incoming patients with the chaos there now

7 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

They have guideline of some 49 rules they have to follow so ambulance cannot drop off at the ship. All patients must test negative for COV19 which renders the ship useless. No hospital is going to test incoming patients with the chaos there now

Yeah, not saying it is a great plan that's just what I had read about it. Don't the hospitals have to test incoming patients though to make sure they take proper precautions and protect staff? I guess they just have to assume that someone has it and take precautions just in case at this point, at least in NY. Hopefully the rapid testing keeps improving and can be more widely dispersed, but until then I'm not sure what the solution is. 

NYC testing has been dramatically improved in recent days.  The idea of routing all non-COVID patients to the ship makes perfect sense, and there's no solution to not enough testing kits that preserves the ability to take care of both COVID and non-COVID patients.  Regular illness and injury doesn't just stop during a pandemic.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Congratulations to North Korea for still having 0 COVID-19 cases. What a model for the world. Maybe we should abandon this whole free country thing.

But are their stats right?  No one knows what really goes on there and with a border with China where smuggling goes on on  a regular basis my guess is their infection rate is a tad higher than zero.  But since they are testing zero people their results will always be zero. 

Same with Syria that continues to report zero cases.  Assad bombed half of the hospitals into the dust so their whole health structure is nada now and no one is being tested.  No test, no test results.  So everything is rosy there too ... not.

Now I'm sure both Dear Leader Kim and Assad have been tested as well as the handful of people left on planet earth they sort of still trust.  But I'm talking about real people.

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Like others have said, that was the plan all along.  Navy hospital ships are build for TRAUMA cases, NOT infections.  There is no way to quarantine infected patients from anyone else any more than on a cruise ship.  They were not built with plagues in mind but rather wars. 

And the ship is accepting people who have been in the hospital already, not people wanting to get into a hospital.  Like others said it was to clear out the regular hospitals of their non covid-19 patients to make room in those hospitals for the virus patients.  They have said this from day one.  It has been on every newscast about these ships from day one that that is what they are for.  Every White House press conference as well.  I've heard the scenario repeated like a hundred times.  So why are you surprised that that is exactly what they are doing?

I assume the fly in the ointment is how to screen now that these patients recovering from hip surgery or strokes or what not haven't been infected while stuck in the regular hospitals.  And given the continued LACK of testing equipment and WHEN test results are then available once a test is performed, this is indeed a problem.  And of course any new patients, same problem.  Both testing AND getting the results back is still the major problem in the US.

Speaking of tests.  One lab said they have a backlog of 168,000 tests as of yesterday.  And the original test is still more accurate than the fly by night ones being rushed out since no one knows how good those are as of yet.  And one quick survey of a small sample already found as many as 1 out of 3 results of this older, "certified" test can result in false negatives (and positives) so people thinking they have been tested and don't have covid-19 may really have it but thinking they are cleared then can now go out and give it to others thinking they are safe.  The newer kinds of tests screen in even broader strokes so they should prove even less accurate.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory