bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

42 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I was initially working on a joke reply about microchipping people that have gotten COVID-19 and survived and only allowing those people into the ballpark. Then I googled it and it turns out Bill Gates is already thinking about stuff like that: https://biohackinfo.com/news-bill-gates-id2020-vaccine-implant-covid-19-digital-certificates/

Nobody should ever want to implanted with a chip by the government for any reason especially not baseball...

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

The use of gloves and masks would prevent any air being breathed or while talking to be transmitted to another individual. The use of gloves would ensure no germs transferring from one spectator to another.. why wouldnt this work? assuming all fans used the masks/gloves for the duration of the game and did so properly..what am i missing here?

You are suggesting people gather in large crowds during a pandemic.

Ill leave it at that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jonninho said:

God damn.. bruh.. firstly, its an idea.. secondly, no where did i say this would take place tomorrow.

the shortage is real and understood. Hence the requirement for both the hospital shortage to be taken care of, along with factories (more by the day, might i add) aiding in the mass production of supplies. At some point, there will not be a shortage and will be plenty to go around.

914FED95-A7E8-4B20-A97D-2C9E6D933C02.jpeg

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Lmao ok bud. If you had any source youd be able to link it. Not sure if you are trolling or really dont understand how this works.

You have a wealth of information at your fingertips...time to start taking care of yourself and those around you. Especially in time of crisis, you should always show leadership and be well informed.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Question - The markets in Wuhan opened back up today. Ofcourse, restrictions remained within the city, a lot of other businesses remained closed, vendors wore masks and gloves as precautions and some were forced to sell over high fences to maintain distance.

Is it possible for the MLB to return with fans if every fan gaining entry was required or even provided with masks/gloves? The obvious issue with this is the teams ability or fans desire to make money off food/drink sales, but, other than that, is it possible?

The mental image of that is really creepy.

Edited by 2ndCitySox

The U.S. is going to lead the world in cases and deaths and it’s not even going to be close. Any country that’s had a semblance of success against this virus has declared country-wide lockdowns. There’s still 9 states that won’t issue stay-at-home orders, apparently thinking this won’t be their problem and they’ll magically be spared. This is outright insanity and is going to prolong this epidemic for months, not to mention result in countless deaths. The idea of any kind of public gathering feels like a pipe dream at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The mental image of that is really creepy.

spacer.png

waiting in the hot dog line. What’s not to like?

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

The U.S. is going to lead the world in cases and deaths and it’s not even going to be close. Any country that’s had a semblance of success against this virus has declared country-wide lockdowns. There’s still 9 states that won’t issue stay-at-home orders, apparently thinking this won’t be their problem and they’ll magically be spared. This is outright insanity and is going to prolong this epidemic for months, not to mention result in countless deaths. The idea of any kind of public gathering feels like a pipe dream at this point.

A lockdown is a terrible idea and so is a quarantine. It doesn’t really stop the disease at all, just makes things worse later when everyone is out. We need to focus entirely on the at-risk population and work on herd immunity, which is a solution that works well in countries like Sweden. Either way in a month there won’t be a quarantine as it’s not sustainable for our economy and despite the hysteria the death rate is too small to warrant such an extreme and unnecessary measure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

You are suggesting people gather in large crowds during a pandemic.

Ill leave it at that.

Actually herd immunity is the only real way to stop the disease outside of a vaccine. What do you think will happen when everyone is released after the restrictions are over? A mass new wave of disease. Or will a lockdown be financially feasible for a year? In all honesty we’re only quarantined to flatten the curve, as no one in power is stupid enough to think that this quarantine is actually stopping the disease. It’s not, it’s just protecting the healthcare system. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-quarantine-imperial-college-london-covid-19/%3famp

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jonninho said:

The use of gloves and masks would prevent any air being breathed or while talking to be transmitted to another individual. The use of gloves would ensure no germs transferring from one spectator to another.. why wouldnt this work? assuming all fans used the masks/gloves for the duration of the game and did so properly..what am i missing here?

That might be a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

53 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

spacer.png

Sooooooo who is the tough guy without the mask?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

A lockdown is a terrible idea and so is a quarantine. It doesn’t really stop the disease at all, just makes things worse later when everyone is out. We need to focus entirely on the at-risk population and work on herd immunity, which is a solution that works well in countries like Sweden. Either way in a month there won’t be a quarantine as it’s not sustainable for our economy and despite the hysteria the death rate is too small to warrant such an extreme and unnecessary measure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

This article from two weeks ago is already frighteningly outdated. Financial ruin is coming no matter what. Tired of that excuse, and that’s coming from someone who’s already been furloughed from their job. Containment is the only option when there’s no vaccine, really no treatment, and testing that is 1) not readily available and 2) does not provide fast results. 

• Like 4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

Re: one scientist's thoughts on herd immunity before a vaccine.

I really kinda think we have two options, and neither of them are super palatable.

Option number one, acknowledge the risk and let people outside as soon as we have an idea we won't be choking the health care system, knowing that a whole lot of people are going to get sick.

Option number two, continue to do what we are doing until a vaccine is developed and mass produced.

Honestly?  I don't see any way we can keep option 2 going for as long as they are saying they need to.  18 months with "shelter in place" orders?  Just ain't gonna happen.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

This article from two weeks ago is already frighteningly outdated. Financial ruin is coming no matter what. Tired of that excuse, and that’s coming from someone who’s already been furloughed from their job. Containment is the only option when there’s no vaccine, really no treatment, and testing that is 1) not readily available and 2) does not provide fast results. 

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think it’s outdated. Financial ruin is not a given if businesses are opened and people are allowed to go back to work. It’s this lockdown that is responsible for the financial ruin which can’t just be brushed off as inevitable.

Our unemployment is rising, millions are out of work. Not everyone can work remotely. What will those people do? Rely on small government checks that may or may not come? 

What about business owners of “non-essential” businesses? They are literally losing their livelihood. What about these people? They’ll be unemployed and broke with families to feed, houses they can no longer afford. 

What about the aftermath of quarantines? I’m admittedly lazy to google you links, but I read articles from respected scholars about how post-quarantine it’ll be worse than it could’ve been under herd immunity.

What about the fact that 81% (according to the CDC) of people who get the virus not having serious symptoms? Or the over 15% who do but not fatally? 

If only 1-3% of people are at risk of dying, is it worth it to ruin the livelihood of far more others to save them? Why not just focus on the 1-3% instead of on everyone?

Also we do have cures and even if we didn’t it’s important to point out that COVID-19 is NOT a fatal disease for the VAST majority of people, not is it even dangerous for the vast majority. 

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/dr-vladimir-zelenko-now-treated-699-coronavirus-patients-100-success-using-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-zinc-z-pak-update/

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

Re: one scientist's thoughts on herd immunity before a vaccine.

I really kinda think we have two options, and neither of them are super palatable.

Option number one, acknowledge the risk and let people outside as soon as we have an idea we won't be choking the health care system, knowing that a whole lot of people are going to get sick.

Option number two, continue to do what we are doing until a vaccine is developed and mass produced.

Honestly?  I don't see any way we can keep option 2 going for as long as they are saying they need to.  18 months with "shelter in place" orders?  Just ain't gonna happen.

Exactly! Can you imagine 18 months of this? How about 9 or even 4 or 5? 

Option one is just the more feasible of the two unappealing options.

Think the plan is mostly to not overload hospitals or do so at least as possible. Activities like entertainment that involves group gatherings seem like a stupid risk until there is a vaccine so don’t see them returning until that happens. Those businesses are gonna have a hard time the next 12 months while mass vaccines are finished and distributed. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Think the plan is mostly to not overload hospitals or do so at least as possible. Activities like entertainment that involves group gatherings seem like a stupid risk until there is a vaccine so don’t see them returning until that happens. Those businesses are gonna have a hard time the next 12 months while mass vaccines are finished and distributed. 

You’re right about the plan, it’s to flatten the curve not to stop the virus. There isn’t going to be any vaccine until end of year earliest and there’s certainly not going to be any mass distribution of it as the expenses would be enormous. Again, the vaccine isn’t that important as 81% of people barely have any symptoms after getting infected so it’s really only a small minority that needs it. We’ll surely see the quarantine cancelled very soon as it’s just not sustainable. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

You’re right about the plan, it’s to flatten the curve not to stop the virus. There isn’t going to be any vaccine until end of year earliest and there’s certainly not going to be any mass distribution of it as the expenses would be enormous. Again, the vaccine isn’t that important as 81% of people barely have any symptoms after getting infected so it’s really only a small minority that needs it. We’ll surely see the quarantine cancelled very soon as it’s just not sustainable.

Perhaps, but still think hospital workloads project that to be several weeks outs from the peak (using Wuhan as the example). Wuhan didn’t isolate and the influx of cases still went 4 weeks after their peak. With flattening the curve, the hospital workloads in the US seem likely to extend longer than that assuming it actually works. So just putting on the fantasy baseball googles and think there isn’t much of a chance we see MLB in 2020. Hope I’m wrong. But putting on a league even with empty stadiums is gonna put a lot of people of and their contacts at risk. I just don’t see how they are gonna pull it off. I think we will slowly get back to normal in bits in pieces. Public gatherings for entertainment lastly. :( I’m certainly not gonna go to a baseball game then go visit my parents who would be at risk to die if I unknowingly passed it to them. 

Edited by tucker26

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Actually herd immunity is the only real way to stop the disease outside of a vaccine. What do you think will happen when everyone is released after the restrictions are over? A mass new wave of disease. Or will a lockdown be financially feasible for a year? In all honesty we’re only quarantined to flatten the curve, as no one in power is stupid enough to think that this quarantine is actually stopping the disease. It’s not, it’s just protecting the healthcare system. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-quarantine-imperial-college-london-covid-19/%3famp

you can and will do that when you are ahead of the curve. this was the Theorie in the netherlands and England. they tried 2 weeks. 

now we are taking patients in from the netherlands in Germany. 

you have to lower the double rate of new infections to at least 10 days. you will have to test like crazy. you must track down infected. ramp up your Hospitals. im from Germany. we re locked down til April 20th. i expect the end of the total Lockdown here after that. Maybe end of April.

then we will do it in steps. with Special caution for the 60+, care homes, Hospitals etc. Maybe School Kids in steps too. this will be around for a year at least. so 6 foot distance, Hand washing etc will be around for while.

regarding Sports (here Soccer) its planned to Play with empty seats. lots of testing for the Players. if that will work in the end. you dont know. because if one tests positive, what will you do with rest of the Team or their latest Opponent. we ll see.

Edited by cornerback

47 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Perhaps, but still think hospital workloads project that to be several weeks outs from the peak (using Wuhan as the example). Wuhan didn’t isolate and the influx of cases still went 4 weeks after their peak. With flattening the curve, the hospital workloads in the US seem likely to extend longer than that assuming it actually works. So just putting on the fantasy baseball googles and think there isn’t much of a chance we see MLB in 2020. Hope I’m wrong. But putting on a league even with empty stadiums is gonna put a lot of people of and their contacts at risk. I just don’t see how they are gonna pull it off. I think we will slowly get back to normal in bits in pieces. Public gatherings for entertainment lastly. :( I’m certainly not gonna go to a baseball game then go visit my parents who would be at risk to die if I unknowingly passed it to them. 

I just don’t see this lasting for months, I think by May we‘re going to be easing the restrictions once we‘re better prepared with dealing with patients. I feel that this is why we‘re quarantined in reality. As far as public gatherings, I get your point and that’s understandable. Personally I just think that the chance to catch it is too small especially if you follow the precautions with sanitizers and not touching your face. I just feel that people are way overreacting right now. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cornerback said:

you can and will do that when you are ahead of the curve. this was the Theorie in the netherlands and England. they tried 2 weeks. 

now we are taking patients in from the netherlands in Germany. 

you have to lower the double rate of new infections to at least 10 days. you will have to test like crazy. you must track down infected. ramp up your Hospitals. im from Germany. we re locked down til April 20th. i expect the end of the total Lockdown here after that. Maybe end of April.

then we will do it in steps. with Special caution for the 60+, care homes, Hospitals etc. Maybe School Kids in steps too. this will be around for a year at least. so 6 foot distance, Hand washing etc will be around for while.

regarding Sports (here Soccer) its planned to Play with empty seats. lots of testing for the Players. if that will work in the end. you dont know. because if one tests positive, what will you do with rest of the Team or their latest Opponent. we ll see.

I heard that the UK balked because of the statistics that were released but that they were supposedly inaccurate. Isn’t Sweden still doing this though along with Japan? I like  the Deutsch ( ich bin Deutsch, aber ich wurde hier geboren) plan and hopeful that it will work. The empty stadiums thing sucks but I just hope they play and everything goes fine. Definitely hopeful that everything works out in the end in here and there.

4 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

spacer.png

where the custom mask? china u slacking. ur welcome

See the source image

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think it’s outdated. Financial ruin is not a given if businesses are opened and people are allowed to go back to work. It’s this lockdown that is responsible for the financial ruin which can’t just be brushed off as inevitable.

Our unemployment is rising, millions are out of work. Not everyone can work remotely. What will those people do? Rely on small government checks that may or may not come? 

What about business owners of “non-essential” businesses? They are literally losing their livelihood. What about these people? They’ll be unemployed and broke with families to feed, houses they can no longer afford. 

What about the aftermath of quarantines? I’m admittedly lazy to google you links, but I read articles from respected scholars about how post-quarantine it’ll be worse than it could’ve been under herd immunity.

What about the fact that 81% (according to the CDC) of people who get the virus not having serious symptoms? Or the over 15% who do but not fatally? 

If only 1-3% of people are at risk of dying, is it worth it to ruin the livelihood of far more others to save them? Why not just focus on the 1-3% instead of on everyone?

Also we do have cures and even if we didn’t it’s important to point out that COVID-19 is NOT a fatal disease for the VAST majority of people, not is it even dangerous for the vast majority. 

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/dr-vladimir-zelenko-now-treated-699-coronavirus-patients-100-success-using-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-zinc-z-pak-update/

So the assumption is that if we just open everything up life will just return to pre-virus normal? The mental damage from this will last an indefinite amount of time. This is a new 9/11-esque marker in time. There will be life before coronavirus and life after. It’s fairly terrifying to me how okay some people seem to be with sacrificing thousands of lives under the guise that life will just go back to the way it was if we lift restrictions. All of our futures are uncertain until this virus is contained, testing actually becomes a priority, and we handle this like a first-world country.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Sooooooo who is the tough guy without the mask?

An American

They can't go back to normal until the hospitals can clear the backlog. If they stop distancing to early the hospitals will be full of covid patients not allowing regular patients from getting critical care. You will have a lot more people dying from things that they could have been saved from if there was hospital space available. People who have heart attacks or any other acute situation might not be able to be saved. Cancer patients will not be able to get chemo treatments due to the high risk of infection, not too mention basic surgeries that can't be done such as appendix and gallbladder removal. A lot more people can die from things you don't think about because they can't get proper care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1