bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

I just don’t see this lasting for months, I think by May we‘re going to be easing the restrictions once we‘re better prepared with dealing with patients. I feel that this is why we‘re quarantined in reality. As far as public gatherings, I get your point and that’s understandable. Personally I just think that the chance to catch it is too small especially if you follow the precautions with sanitizers and not touching your face. I just feel that people are way overreacting right now. 

**says the myopic person not yet personally affected by it**

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Economic civil unrest will force the quarantines/shutdowns to be lifted, some food banks are already getting slammed. Whatever curve flattening happens in the meantime will be helpful. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DivisionVision said:

Economic civil unrest will force the quarantines/shutdowns to be lifted, some food banks are already getting slammed. Whatever curve flattening happens in the meantime will be helpful. 

Yeah this is going to get very interesting. Hopefully level-headedness overcomes the crazies. 

16 minutes ago, butlerbeatpitt15 said:

preparing for the worst

Trump will probably tell them all to start playing today. Up to the experts and scientists to map out a realistic scenario.

• Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is considering opening the season in empty spring training parks -- with no fans and all players quarantined.

The plan would have all teams stationed in one centralized location -- likely Arizona. Rosenthal notes, "The logistics of quarantining 30 teams in one area would be extremely complex and potentially controversial... requiring local, state and federal government cooperation and resources that might be necessary to fight the coronavirus pandemic." The major logistical concern though, "To play under quarantine, the sport would need to protect the health not only of players and other club personnel, but also umpires and those producing the television broadcasts, plus hotel workers, bus drivers and anyone else involved with the players and games". It's encouraging to hear that MLB is exploring all possible options to begin the season as soon as possible and to fit in as many games as possible during the 2020 season, but there are going to be many major hurdles that they'll need to overcome first to guarantee the health and safety of all involved.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Apr 4, 2020, 9:53 AM ET

•  

• Like 2

Is this call the White House's idea or one of the leagues? I'm guessing the sports guys want to do some brainstorming and included Trump as a government sounding board. 

Very interesting. Trump's zeal to get people back to work has turned the last week and half, so I dont expect him to push for sports to fire back up soon.

As far as the MLB plan, they'd almost have to build some kind of complex and isolate it from the outside. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

So the assumption is that if we just open everything up life will just return to pre-virus normal? The mental damage from this will last an indefinite amount of time. This is a new 9/11-esque marker in time. There will be life before coronavirus and life after. It’s fairly terrifying to me how okay some people seem to be with sacrificing thousands of lives under the guise that life will just go back to the way it was if we lift restrictions. All of our futures are uncertain until this virus is contained, testing actually becomes a priority, and we handle this like a first-world country.

We blithely carry out our lives with a perpetual acceptance of mortality. Thousands die everyday of whatever. On average, 151,600 people die in the world everyday. After this seemingly necessary shutdown, we're just gonna have to get on with our lives with reckless abandon. Why is it never incumbent on the old and unhealthy to sit things out while this disease runs its course? Why am I, a 35-year old who takes his health seriously, forced into unemployment, told to stay home, shamed for wanting to partake in some of his favorite activities? Is it really a mystery what demographic of people will overwhelm the hospitals?  With 40% obesity, I never knew Americans were so concerned with their health? Are hospital resources not already being strained by diseases caused by obesity?

Edited by IceGoat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

As far as the MLB plan, they'd almost have to build some kind of complex and isolate it from the outside. 

I'm envisioning a fortress with a moat and a drawbridge.  We need a moat!

1000x-1.jpg

• Haha 5

Doubt any city would want to be the first to invite 26 people on each team living all around the country or globe in some cases to their town while there is a pandemic going on. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

We blithely carry out our lives with a perpetual acceptance of mortality. Thousands die everyday of whatever. On average, 151,600 people die in the world everyday. After this seemingly necessary shutdown, we're just gonna have to get on with our lives with reckless abandon. Why is it never incumbent on the old and unhealthy to sit things out while this disease runs its course? Why am I, a 35-year old who takes his health seriously, forced into unemployment, told to stay home, shamed for wanting to partake in some of his favorite activities? Is it really a mystery what demographic of people will overwhelm the hospitals?  With 40% obesity, I never knew Americans were so concerned with their health? Are hospital resources not already being strained by diseases caused by obesity?

I don't think you understand the severity of this. Covid-19 is the third leading cause of death now in the US behind cancer and heart disease. It is overwhelming our hospitals right now, and if there wasn't a shelter in place order in most states, the mortality rate would probably be even higher. Even Trump's administration is assuming 100,000 - 200,000 lives will be lost to just Covid-19, assuming all precautions are made. I Had a second job that I lost and am upset about it, but I am not gonna selfishly downplay this situation because my own employment status... Maybe the bigger issue is that the US of A has a crappy system in place where people are one missed paycheck away from becoming destitute and a healthcare system that should be considered an international crime for being way too expensive and inaccessible to millions of people that need it.

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

They can't go back to normal until the hospitals can clear the backlog. If they stop distancing to early the hospitals will be full of covid patients not allowing regular patients from getting critical care. You will have a lot more people dying from things that they could have been saved from if there was hospital space available. People who have heart attacks or any other acute situation might not be able to be saved. Cancer patients will not be able to get chemo treatments due to the high risk of infection, not too mention basic surgeries that can't be done such as appendix and gallbladder removal. A lot more people can die from things you don't think about because they can't get proper care.

I agree with your post 100%. As much of an advocate as i have been to get playing ball with the belief we will see it in May, i do also believe that is the first hurdle to clear, to take the stress off the health care system. I personally believe that over the next 30 days, with hopefully thousands of recoveries and the stay at home orders in place we see much less cases of Corona occuring, which in theory, will ease the stress of these hospitals. It would be a shame if people were dying because of appendix/gallbladder complications. I really do believe over the next month, we will be in a much better place with a realistic possibility to look into having the season be given a start date.

Long live Gary Carter!

1 hour ago, butlerbeatpitt15 said:

preparing for the worst

Truthfully, i am not preparing for the worst. I actually think this is a really positive thing for the economy, fans, and the world to be honest. Trump is a sports fan (also an idiot, but still a sports fan) who has made it clear he  wants the economy up and running, i gotta imagine he will do whatever he can to help these leagues/clubs get up and running again even if in some quarantined/isolated area in Arizona. His extentions of stay at home orders would likely be more accepted if we actually had some sort of distraction other than the constant negativity being spread into our ears by CNN and others.

Baseball in May.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

A lockdown is a terrible idea and so is a quarantine. It doesn’t really stop the disease at all, just makes things worse later when everyone is out. We need to focus entirely on the at-risk population and work on herd immunity, which is a solution that works well in countries like Sweden. Either way in a month there won’t be a quarantine as it’s not sustainable for our economy and despite the hysteria the death rate is too small to warrant such an extreme and unnecessary measure.

I know it's a lengthy thread, but if you're going to repeat debunked nonsense from one or two weeks ago when we're talking about a pandemic that doubles in cases and fatalities every 2-3 days, you're just going to waste space in the thread and make yourself look floolish.  Start here, where your outdated NYT op-ed and its dishonest hack of an author are discussed:

As for "herd immunity", that doesn't happen without the presence of a lot of immune people in the population, which means either a vaccine (which we don't have yet and aren't very close to) or a lot of people getting the virus, which means a lot of dead people.  If you think the present economic circumstances are bad, think about hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of consumers taken out of the economy permanently.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Trump will probably tell them all to start playing today. Up to the experts and scientists to map out a realistic scenario.

You're probably not wrong. That is kinda what i am expecting.. Trump to discuss with the leagues potential plans to get these sports up and running again. No joke. I also think the concept is very feasible even if the most of you in here disagree with me entirely. *shrugs*

17 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Doubt any city would want to be the first to invite 26 people on each team living all around the country or globe in some cases to their town while there is a pandemic going on. 

Disagree, Some states arent even concerned about this, imagine being the city that gets America up and running again.. everybody in the country would be on their knees thanking them for their 'kindness' 

Scheduled participants on call with Trump:
NBA – Adam Silver
WNBA – Cathy Engelbert
MLB – Rob Manfred
NFL – Roger Goodell
NHL – Gary Bettman
PGA Tour – Jay Monahan
UFC – Dana White
WWE - Vince McMahon
NASCAR – John Middlebrook or Jim France.
MLS – Don Garber.

Notice: No NCAA.

9 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Disagree, Some states arent even concerned about this, imagine being the city that gets America up and running again.. everybody in the country would be on their knees thanking them for their 'kindness' 

Those states are run by morons who will pay a heavy price for their derelictions of duty in the coming weeks and months. No one is immune from this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Bio-Dome - Wikipedia

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Those states are run by morons who will pay a heavy price for their derelictions of duty in the coming weeks and months. No one is immune from this.

They can play in Iowa in the field of dreams cornfield

59 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I agree with your post 100%. As much of an advocate as i have been to get playing ball with the belief we will see it in May, i do also believe that is the first hurdle to clear, to take the stress off the health care system. I personally believe that over the next 30 days, with hopefully thousands of recoveries and the stay at home orders in place we see much less cases of Corona occuring, which in theory, will ease the stress of these hospitals. It would be a shame if people were dying because of appendix/gallbladder complications. I really do believe over the next month, we will be in a much better place with a realistic possibility to look into having the season be given a start date.

Long live Gary Carter!

I don't think 30 days will do it the apex in New York is estimated at 7 to 21 days. That's the apex. Other states like Florida are much further away than that. I think best case scenario for MLB is July 1 in empty stadiums. If one player or staff member tests positive after that then forget it. Season over. Same goes for NBA and NHL. NFL is still a way out. Who knows what it will be like by then.

3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

People who think this won’t be around need to realize I’ve been sick with symptoms since March 2nd. Presumed covid. No test done. I work in water damage remediation going into peoples houses for a living after a water loss currently. The lack of a test means my boss isn’t considering what I have as covid, therefore they are attempting to pressure me back to work even while I still have symptoms, against my doctors orders. This is gonna keep spreading. I’m not going in. They can fire me for it. I won’t be spreading this **** to 5-10 different houses everyday. 

If it comes to that, you should strongly consider reaching out to a reporter or someone like that imo.