bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

People who think this won’t be around need to realize I’ve been sick with symptoms since March 2nd. Presumed covid. No test done. I work in water damage remediation going into peoples houses for a living after a water loss currently. The lack of a test means my boss isn’t considering what I have as covid, therefore they are attempting to pressure me back to work even while I still have symptoms, against my doctors orders. This is gonna keep spreading. I’m not going in. They can fire me for it. I won’t be spreading this **** to 5-10 different houses everyday. 

What reasons are doctors giving for not testing?

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Scheduled participants on call with Trump:
NBA – Adam Silver
WNBA – Cathy Engelbert
MLB – Rob Manfred
NFL – Roger Goodell
NHL – Gary Bettman
PGA Tour – Jay Monahan
UFC – Dana White
WWE - Vince McMahon
NASCAR – John Middlebrook or Jim France.
MLS – Don Garber.

Notice: No NCAA.

Trump: “please start your seasons in 2 weeks. I miss sports.”

1 hour ago, B&F said:

What reasons are doctors giving for not testing?

They don’t have the tests currently for those without major symptoms. People with the beginnings of pneumonia are currently considered having mild symptoms. 

Tracking now shows only 1.5m tests done since the beginning of this pandemic in the US. Seems like gross under testing to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonninho said:

I agree with your post 100%. As much of an advocate as i have been to get playing ball with the belief we will see it in May, i do also believe that is the first hurdle to clear, to take the stress off the health care system. I personally believe that over the next 30 days, with hopefully thousands of recoveries and the stay at home orders in place we see much less cases of Corona occuring, which in theory, will ease the stress of these hospitals. It would be a shame if people were dying because of appendix/gallbladder complications. I really do believe over the next month, we will be in a much better place with a realistic possibility to look into having the season be given a start date.

Long live Gary Carter!

I don't think 30 days will do it the apex in New York is estimated at 7 to 21 days. That's the apex. Other states like Florida are much further away than that. I think best case scenario for MLB is July 1 in empty stadiums. If one player or staff member tests positive after that then forget it. Season over. Same goes for NBA and NHL. NFL is still a way out. Who knows what it will be like by then.

4 hours ago, daynlokki said:

People who think this won’t be around need to realize I’ve been sick with symptoms since March 2nd. Presumed covid. No test done. I work in water damage remediation going into peoples houses for a living after a water loss currently. The lack of a test means my boss isn’t considering what I have as covid, therefore they are attempting to pressure me back to work even while I still have symptoms, against my doctors orders. This is gonna keep spreading. I’m not going in. They can fire me for it. I won’t be spreading this **** to 5-10 different houses everyday. 

You are a hero 

• Like 2

Trump says he hopes to have fans in the stadiums by August or September. How will baseball make this work. Most teams need gate revenue and all that goes with it. If they can't have fans until September how will they make payroll

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Trump says he hopes to have fans in the stadiums by August or September. How will baseball make this work. Most teams need gate revenue and all that goes with it. If they can't have fans until September how will they make payroll

TV Revenue would be better than nothing if this is a financial conversation.

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

TV money. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

So would the goal be to start the season earlier in empty stadiums? I don’t see how there can be a season if they’re referencing not starting games until August.

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Yeah, as a couple of others noted, TV revenue would help balance that out. On top of that, if they begin in empty stadiums, there will not be any staff there like normal therefore they are either saving their entire funding for staff, or a % of that if they are paying their part time staff, either way, they will also be saving millions on that end as well.

I am thinking MLB begins the season behind closed doors untill given the go-ahead, while leagues like the NHL and NBA will finish their seasons/playoffs behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

So would the goal be to start the season earlier in empty stadiums? I don’t see how there can be a season if they’re referencing not starting games until August.

beat me to it. That is exactly what i think will happen.. begin in empty stadiums with a build up of playing in stadiums with fans.

18 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Yeah, as a couple of others noted, TV revenue would help balance that out. On top of that, if they begin in empty stadiums, there will not be any staff there like normal therefore they are either saving their entire funding for staff, or a % of that if they are paying their part time staff, either way, they will also be saving millions on that end as well.

I am thinking MLB begins the season behind closed doors untill given the go-ahead, while leagues like the NHL and NBA will finish their seasons/playoffs behind closed doors.

Most teams don't have a great revenue stream from tv. The big market teams will be fine but the small market ones won't

If they play in empty stadiums in Arizona to start. I can't see them playing double headers never mind one game in June or July when it's 110 degrees. I don't want to sound pessimistic. I just can't see them playing in their own stadiums and having to travel every week

20 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Most teams don't have a great revenue stream from tv. The big market teams will be fine but the small market ones won't

What's the alternative?

17 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If they play in empty stadiums in Arizona to start. I can't see them playing double headers never mind one game in June or July when it's 110 degrees. I don't want to sound pessimistic. I just can't see them playing in their own stadiums and having to travel every week

Why not? I mean, FIFA has staged the World Cup in recent years in both Africa and Brasil, with the 2022 version set in Qatar, heat was and always be a concern in these places but they have built the proper facilities to take care of it, they have also implented water breaks when required. Sure, facilities will not be built for these baseball games, but, in comparison to soccer, theres hardly any movement, and ball players certainly out there running for 90 minutes, even more so, those minutes arent consecutive, there are plenty of pauses between when an individual player will take the field again.. there are shady dug outs along with plenty of gatorade to take care of the heat they may have to put up with for 20 minutes at any given time.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

What's the alternative?

There isnt one.. even if their TV deal was with 1.00, its still 1.00 less they would have lost if they didnt play their games. There will be baseball this year.

Unless ofcourse teams agreed to share TV revenue? i mean, i doubt it. but. its possible.

Edited by jonninho
  • Like 1

Just now, jonninho said:

There isnt one.. even if their TV deal was with 1.00, its still 1.00 less they would have lost if they didnt play their games. There will be baseball this year.

Unless ofcourse teams agreed to share TV revenue? i mean, i doubt it. but. its possible.

More to the point - Don't teams already have a 48% revenue sharing model?

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

More to the point - Don't teams already have a 48% revenue sharing model?

To be honest, im not sure what sort of deal they have in place for this.. 

39 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

They might if no one can go to the games

12 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Why not? I mean, FIFA has staged the World Cup in recent years in both Africa and Brasil, with the 2022 version set in Qatar, heat was and always be a concern in these places but they have built the proper facilities to take care of it, they have also implented water breaks when required. Sure, facilities will not be built for these baseball games, but, in comparison to soccer, theres hardly any movement, and ball players certainly out there running for 90 minutes, even more so, those minutes arent consecutive, there are plenty of pauses between when an individual player will take the field again.. there are shady dug outs along with plenty of gatorade to take care of the heat they may have to put up with for 20 minutes at any given time.

When it was in Brazil and Africa that was during their cool season since they are in the southern hemisphere. There is a reason Arizona, Miami, Tampaand Houston have domes and it's not because of rain. They also don't play games in Arlington during the day. You have to remember they won't be playing in MLB parks with all the amenities. How many of those parks in Arizona even have lights. It will be hard to pull off.

2 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I'd imagine at least a little bit of an ad revenue bump since we're all at home anyway.

Not enough to make up the gate maybe.  But something.

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

How do you figure? I'm pretty sure the network will adjust their fee to the amount of games played. That will hurt even more. No fans means no gate revenue or concessions