bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

How do you figure? I'm pretty sure the network will adjust their fee to the amount of games played. That will hurt even more. No fans means no gate revenue or concessions

Yeah, but if they don't play at all they eat it entirely.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/revenue-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/

This article suggests 30% of league revenue comes from the gate.  No way to make that up, but you can attempt to retake some of the 70%.

They've already agreed to pay players.  It's either a loss or a MAJOR loss.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Yeah, but if they don't play at all they eat it entirely.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/revenue-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/

This article suggests 30% of league revenue comes from the gate.  No way to make that up, but you can attempt to retake some of the 70%.

They've already agreed to pay players.  It's either a loss or a MAJOR loss.

I realize that but if there is not a season are you sure the players get paid. I heard the contracts will be prorated based on games played. If there isn't a season how many teams can take a 60 to 200 million dollar hit to pay salaries?

Edited by azeri98

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

I realize that but if there is not a season are you sure the players get paid. I heard the contracts will be prorated based on games played. If there isn't a season how many teams can take a 60 to 200 million dollar hit? 

That's true, and they only get 4% if the season is cancelled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-26/mlb-players-agree-accept-4-percent-of-2020-salaries-if-season-canceled%3f_amp=true

However, I have to believe that TV revenues, whatever they are, minus prorated salaries are still less of a net loss than no income minus 4%.  For both players and owners.

If it's a public health or logistics issue, that's one thing.  But financially I would think it would make way more sense to play games that air on TV with no fans than to cancel the season entirely.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, IceGoat said:

We blithely carry out our lives with a perpetual acceptance of mortality. Thousands die everyday of whatever. On average, 151,600 people die in the world everyday. After this seemingly necessary shutdown, we're just gonna have to get on with our lives with reckless abandon. Why is it never incumbent on the old and unhealthy to sit things out while this disease runs its course? Why am I, a 35-year old who takes his health seriously, forced into unemployment, told to stay home, shamed for wanting to partake in some of his favorite activities? Is it really a mystery what demographic of people will overwhelm the hospitals?  With 40% obesity, I never knew Americans were so concerned with their health? Are hospital resources not already being strained by diseases caused by obesity?

Because if it was up to you entirely you WOULD be out "partaking in some of your favorite activities" which would start to include infecting others with the corona virus.  Do you not understand how plagues work?  You can have covid-19 and not know it.  Feel just fine.  Go "partake" and busily spread this disease to numerous people during your freaking "partaking."  Some of those people could die and many others could suffer horribly and all would have the high possibility of spread this to others who then spread this to others etc etc etc etc etc.

This is exactly what keeps this epidemic alive.  This type of damn attitude causing reckless behavior.

But if you are 100% selfish and don't care about anyone's life but your own you should know that increasing numbers of healthy people in their 30's ARE dying from this.

And did you know that 70 younger and super healthy college kids from Texas had chartered a plane that flew them down and back to spring break in Mexico a while back?  This was in the news several days back and probably got lost in all the updates on everything else.  So let me tell you about it.  So far 35 of those students have tested positive as of this now old report for covid-19 and authorities are desperately trying to track down the remainder to test as well as all contacts with family, friends, service workers etc in two countries now as if these authorities have time to do all this in the middle of all their other duties.  No one will probably ever know how many others these idiots infecting while "partaking" in this favorite college activity.  Or which people they infected went and unknowingly infected others who in turn did the same.  No one will ever know who, in the end, they are responsible for killing.

4 hours ago, jonninho said:

Disagree, Some states arent even concerned about this, imagine being the city that gets America up and running again.. everybody in the country would be on their knees thanking them for their 'kindness' 

Locals in those states are.  Just because the governor in those 8 remaining states is a total jerk doesn't mean all the citizens are.  I can't imagine anyone in Fargo wanting several thousand MLB players and personal and support troops and families descending on them to use their few high school baseball fields.  (Arizona is already ramping up in cases so no way would they do it there in another month).  Maybe they can have them play on the carrier deck of the USS Theodore Roosevelt which is quarantined already and safely out of the country and de facto has a built in moat around it, heh.

So yeah I can imagine that city.  In full revolt.  And people in this country would only go on their knees to pray for the citizens of that city that died when this harebrained idea that "entertainment" is more important than lives experiment finally ends.

The NBA wants to take over Las Vegas for about a month or two to finish their season quickly and have a big playoff tournament.  No nothing can possibly go wrong with that plan either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, IceGoat said:

We blithely carry out our lives with a perpetual acceptance of mortality. Thousands die everyday of whatever. On average, 151,600 people die in the world everyday. After this seemingly necessary shutdown, we're just gonna have to get on with our lives with reckless abandon. Why is it never incumbent on the old and unhealthy to sit things out while this disease runs its course? Why am I, a 35-year old who takes his health seriously, forced into unemployment, told to stay home, shamed for wanting to partake in some of his favorite activities? Is it really a mystery what demographic of people will overwhelm the hospitals?  With 40% obesity, I never knew Americans were so concerned with their health? Are hospital resources not already being strained by diseases caused by obesity?

Because you could become a serial killer by accident. If you get infected, not know it and infect many others who in turn could infect their older relatives. So even if old people sit it out. They can still get infected by people like you partaking in events and pass it on to other young people who could affect their elders.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

If it comes to that, you should strongly consider reaching out to a reporter or someone like that imo.  

Oh I will be. I have another appt with my doctor (via a phone call) and after that we will see what they say. 

• Like 2

So, a point of interest i have come across:

https://abola.pt/nnh/2020-04-04/bayern-munique-bayern-regressa-aos-treinos-na-segunda-com-varias-restricoes/837915

The article is in Portuguese, however, feel free to translate it, or, you can take it from me. The article says Bayern Munich, who is one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and located in Germany will begin training together on Monday. There will be restrictions however, some of those being how they train. They will train in small groups.

Look, Germany is getting hit pretty bad right now (not U.S bad, but bad), so i am going to assume they have done enough thinking and got their **** together to allow such big name athletes to get back together for training. No word yet on when games will resume, but, in Portugal, they plan on getting back together in May for training sessions with the season to be started up again in June.

This is definitely promising news and hopefully a sign of things to come in North America.

In Italy:

https://abola.pt/nnh/2020-04-04/italia-planteis-vao-ser-testados-e-jogadores-divididos-em-tres-grupos/837921

Juventus, another one of the big teams in the world of club soccer are beginning to get back to training.. much like Bayern Munich, there will be restrictions.

Juventus plans to test all players, breaking them up into 3 groups, positive, immune, and non-immune. A few of the Juve players have already had covid-19 for those who follow the game. Training will take place in those 3 separate groups as well. Again, no set date to return to action..

I do question both Germany and Italy, and how even upon a return to training, if they cant train together, how would they play together? Im guessing plans are being put in place and those with scientific backgrounds would be able to help with that process..

• Like 1

im a Bayern munich fan. word is, they are starting in Groups of 4 and 5 on Monday. other Bundesliga Clubs (Dortmund-Frankfurt) already did that this week.

Overall our death numbers are expected and so far lower then expected by most. in the south Hospitals are at 80-90 % capacity. but we have reserve in the North. where many are at 60% or lower. so far our System holds up. we ll see what happens next week.

we re locked in til 19th. after that i would assume  some time added. Maybe a week or 2. after that we will try to open Things up slowly. i think thats the real test. we re at  a doubling rate of new cases of 10 days now. trying to get it to 14 days. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, cornerback said:

im a Bayern munich fan. word is, they are starting in Groups of 4 and 5 on Monday. other Bundesliga Clubs (Dortmund-Frankfurt) already did that this week.

Overall our death numbers are expected and so far lower then expected by most. in the south Hospitals are at 80-90 % capacity. but we have reserve in the North. where many are at 60% or lower. so far our System holds up. we ll see what happens next week.

we re locked in til 19th. after that i would assume  some time added. Maybe a week or 2. after that we will try to open Things up slowly. i think thats the real test. we re at  a doubling rate of new cases of 10 days now. trying to get it to 14 days. 

Yes, that is what i read, groups of 4 and 5, i still question how they will determine when it is safe for all to train together and go back to normal in the futebol world.

In relation to Germanys numbers, thats great! honestly, the Germans have their **** together and can always be looked at in modern day as the model to follow. Good job to your country so far and i hope you guys get it upto 14 days and even better in the near future! 

So even if this theoretical season happens,  what about the Blue Jays?  Aren't they stuck in Canada through mid June? 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

So even if this theoretical season happens,  what about the Blue Jays?  Aren't they stuck in Canada through mid June? 

You referring to the ban you read about earlier in this thread? if so, no, that ban applies only to city run festivals/events/permit related events and does not realte to the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, among other professional sports teams.

Even so, if they proceed with an isolated area where all teams are present, it wouldnt even matter.

Edited by jonninho

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

**says the myopic person not yet personally affected by it**

No that’s just common sense once you stop panicking and overreacting. It’s o cloud no one you know lost their entire livelihood because of this so you get to be chicken little about it with people’s lives. Again according to the CDC:

Less than 1% of Americans are infected.

81% and rising of infected have mild symptoms.

1-3% and falling may die.

Please explain how panicking and destroying our daily lives, ruining businesses, making millions of people lose jobs... is a good solution. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah this is going to get very interesting. Hopefully level-headedness overcomes the crazies. 

Level headed ness= Herd immunity and isolate those at risk/infected.

Insanity=destroy our daily lives and cost millions of people their livelihoods just so we can make sure 1-3% of infected who might die definitely don’t, oh and we don’t even know if quarantining actually works that well.

8 hours ago, IceGoat said:

Thank you for being a logical voice in the midst of the panicking people who ignore people like us. I’m sorry that you lost your job and I hope people understand that millions of people are affected like you are, and these people have rights too.

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

You referring to the ban you read about earlier in this thread? if so, no, that ban applies only to city run festivals/events/permit related events and does not realte to the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, among other professional sports teams.

Even so, if they proceed with an isolated area where all teams are present, it wouldnt even matter.

My bad i see the border closing isn't a super hard line.  Thought they were stuck in Canada for awhile 

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's true, and they only get 4% if the season is cancelled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-26/mlb-players-agree-accept-4-percent-of-2020-salaries-if-season-canceled%3f_amp=true

However, I have to believe that TV revenues, whatever they are, minus prorated salaries are still less of a net loss than no income minus 4%.  For both players and owners.

If it's a public health or logistics issue, that's one thing.  But financially I would think it would make way more sense to play games that air on TV with no fans than to cancel the season entirely.

This 100%. We need baseball this year, it benefits everyone from fans to players. 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because if it was up to you entirely you WOULD be out "partaking in some of your favorite activities" which would start to include infecting others with the corona virus.  Do you not understand how plagues work?  You can have covid-19 and not know it.  Feel just fine.  Go "partake" and busily spread this disease to numerous people during your freaking "partaking."  Some of those people could die and many others could suffer horribly and all would have the high possibility of spread this to others who then spread this to others etc etc etc etc etc.

This is exactly what keeps this epidemic alive.  This type of damn attitude causing reckless behavior.

But if you are 100% selfish and don't care about anyone's life but your own you should know that increasing numbers of healthy people in their 30's ARE dying from this.

And did you know that 70 younger and super healthy college kids from Texas had chartered a plane that flew them down and back to spring break in Mexico a while back?  This was in the news several days back and probably got lost in all the updates on everything else.  So let me tell you about it.  So far 35 of those students have tested positive as of this now old report for covid-19 and authorities are desperately trying to track down the remainder to test as well as all contacts with family, friends, service workers etc in two countries now as if these authorities have time to do all this in the middle of all their other duties.  No one will probably ever know how many others these idiots infecting while "partaking" in this favorite college activity.  Or which people they infected went and unknowingly infected others who in turn did the same.  No one will ever know who, in the end, they are responsible for killing.

Locals in those states are.  Just because the governor in those 8 remaining states is a total jerk doesn't mean all the citizens are.  I can't imagine anyone in Fargo wanting several thousand MLB players and personal and support troops and families descending on them to use their few high school baseball fields.  (Arizona is already ramping up in cases so no way would they do it there in another month).  Maybe they can have them play on the carrier deck of the USS Theodore Roosevelt which is quarantined already and safely out of the country and de facto has a built in moat around it, heh.

So yeah I can imagine that city.  In full revolt.  And people in this country would only go on their knees to pray for the citizens of that city that died when this harebrained idea that "entertainment" is more important than lives experiment finally ends.

The NBA wants to take over Las Vegas for about a month or two to finish their season quickly and have a big playoff tournament.  No nothing can possibly go wrong with that plan either.

Please look at CDC statistics. So few people are in risk of actually dying that it is completely unacceptable to cause FAR MORE people irreparable harm. To protect 1-3% of infected who might die, we should ruin the lives of the other 97%? 

Do you realize what it’s like to lose your job or business? What it’s like to lose your social life on top of it? Do you realize that COVID-19 is NOT a fatal disease? 

I think I have to repeat it again as I’m not sure you understand.

COVID-19 is not a fatal disease. To die from it, you have to already be in very bad health. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

This 100%. We need baseball this year, it benefits everyone from fans to players. 

Please look at CDC statistics. So few people are in risk of actually dying that it is completely unacceptable to cause FAR MORE people irreparable harm. To protect 1-3% of infected who might die, we should ruin the lives of the other 97%? 

Do you realize what it’s like to lose your job or business? What it’s like to lose your social life on top of it? Do you realize that COVID-19 is NOT a fatal disease? 

COVID-19 is not a fatal disease. To die from it, you have to already be in very bad health. 

This is some of the most dangerous misinformation I’ve seen posted on this board. Have you not seen the stories of otherwise healthy people in their 30s and 40s who have either passed away or are in dire condition? The husband of an acquaintance of my wife’s is in the ICU with it. He’s 41 with no underlying conditions.

Everything you post is three weeks behind and easily disproven. [...]Whether you care about anyone other than yourself is not in doubt, however.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Agreed, let's just go ahead and kill off that bottom 3% who are already in bad health.  That way the other 97% can keep their jobs and social lives.  So much panic and overreaction worrying about those 3% in bad health who are already gonna die anyway.  We need baseball!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Level headed ness= Herd immunity and isolate those at risk/infected.

Using the phrase "herd immunity" despite clearly not having any idea what it actually means is not helping your case here.

Simply put: the price of herd immunity in the absence of a vaccine is more infections, and a lot more people dying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

No that’s just common sense once you stop panicking and overreacting. It’s o cloud no one you know lost their entire livelihood because of this so you get to be chicken little about it with people’s lives. Again according to the CDC:

Less than 1% of Americans are infected.

81% and rising of infected have mild symptoms.

1-3% and falling may die.

Please explain how panicking and destroying our daily lives, ruining businesses, making millions of people lose jobs... is a good solution. 

You keep preaching and I can understand about wanting baseball ASAP but come on look at the news about what is happening to our health care system. Take the blinders off for once look at the big picture about people being infected at a mass rate when the congregate in huge groups. It is bad. We all want our sports back nobody in this forum does not want what you want. We are all sport junkies afterall we are in a fantasy sports forum. I for one is itching like crazy for this to all go away but I use logic and see at this time we are all in the standstill and I believe we are truly F’ed. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Using the phrase "herd immunity" despite clearly not having any idea what it actually means is not helping your case here.

Simply put: the price of herd immunity in the absence of a vaccine is more infections, and a lot more people dying.

I think it’s the other way around here as your post shows a remarkable lack of medical knowledge.

When a virus spreads. It’s a MUST to build group immunity in order to combat it. That’s how it works for literally every disease including the common cold. This has been said by respected medical professionals and the links are in this thread.

Herd immunity is a natural result of combating a virus. When you quarantine a large group of people and then release them, what do you think happens? That’s right a new wave of infections. This cycle will repeat itself over and over until we develop...herd immunity. Our current quarantine isn’t to save lives but to not overwhelm the medical system. 

Again, COVID-19 isn’t a fatal disease for 90%+ of people. Your chances of dying from it are way too small to justify such a catastrophic change to our lives.

18 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

This is some of the most dangerous misinformation I’ve seen posted on this board. Have you not seen the stories of otherwise healthy people in their 30s and 40s who have either passed away or are in dire condition? The husband of an acquaintance of my wife’s is in the ICU with it. He’s 41 with no underlying conditions.

Everything you post is three weeks behind and easily disproven. [...]Whether you care about anyone other than yourself is not in doubt, however.

Um my information is literally from the CDC’s official website and last time I checked was in the morning. An already healthy young person dying from COVID-19 is a very very uncommon scenario. I get you have personal experiences but you can’t argue with cold hard facts. I suggest you go and check the official website of the CDC

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You keep preaching and I can understand about wanting baseball ASAP but come on look at the news about what is happening to our health care system. Take the blinders off for once look at the big picture about people being infected at a mass rate when the congregate in huge groups. It is bad. We all want our sports back nobody in this forum does not want what you want. We are all sport junkies afterall we are in a fantasy sports forum. I for one is itching like crazy for this to all go away but I use logic and see at this time we are all in the standstill and I believe we are truly F’ed. 

That’s why the health care system is being improved now. Once it’s taken care of we should be able to go back on with our lives.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Agreed, let's just go ahead and kill off that bottom 3% who are already in bad health.  That way the other 97% can keep their jobs and social lives.  So much panic and overreaction worrying about those 3% in bad health who are already gonna die anyway.  We need baseball!

So it’s better to just destroy our economy, cost MILLIONS of people their jobs, put THOUSANDS of businesses out of business.... I don’t think you understand how much more catastrophic to our lives that is then at best simply quarantining those at risk. Let’s say you worked for 10 years to make enough money to open up your own business, spent 3 hard years getting it to make money and now you lose it all. You can no longer afford your house, have massive debts you can’t pay, don’t even have a job and your kids need you to support them too.  Then someone online tells you “would you rather those 1-3% die instead? I mean we could quarantine them, but we’ll just quarantine everyone and ruin your life instead”. 

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Like 1

The issue is that we think all lives are sacred. We think nobody should die from COVID-19. So, we all need to quarantine ourselves. That kind of logic taken to its extreme will "kill" millions of people's jobs and may cause irreparable damage economically and socially too. This isn't a one-sided situation. We should be looking at it from all sides. Hopefully, we will come up with some better strategies for dealing with viruses in the future. But right now, it appears to me that fear is ruling the day. We need better overall strategies. For example, we don't tell everyone to not drive because it has been proven that people will die in car crashes. Instead we make people reach a certain age and pass a driving test and then you get to drive. And, innocent people still die in car crashes every day. Innocent people die from viruses too. If you're scared of death then you should just stay home and quarantine yourself from everything. Eventually you will die anyway. We need to figure out how to deal with this situation from all points of view. This is a complex situation that affects many people in many different ways.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

From the CDC’s official website on April 4, 2020.