bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Here's a news flash for all you 18-49 yr olds, here in Ca, this age group is now reported as being the highest age group reported having positive test result with the virus, it's not us old guys anymore. It's because there's more testing now, so no, you are not immune..#Realitycheck...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Herd immunity is a natural result of combating a virus. When you quarantine a large group of people and then release them, what do you think happens? That’s right a new wave of infections. This cycle will repeat itself over and over until we develop...herd immunity. Our current quarantine isn’t to save lives but to not overwhelm the medical system. 

Dude.  When the medical system is overwhelmed, more people die.  This could not be any more obvious at this point to anyone who cares to understand it.

The "low" rate of fatality that your entire "let's let some people die to save the economy" argument depends on only exists if hospitals are able to provide adequate care.  The fatality rate skyrockets when we run out of ICU beds, ventilators, and safety equipment.

The point of quarantining is to buy ourselves time to develop a vaccine, find an antiviral protocol that works to treat infected patients, and stay within the limits of our medical system.  Letting people get exposed (and killed) so that we can naturally develop herd immunity is an explicit sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of lives in the best case, and millions when the medical system is crushed under the sudden weight of preventable infections.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

Here's a news flash for all you 18-49 yr olds, here in Ca, this age group is now reported as being the highest age group reported having positive test result with the virus, it's not us old guys anymore. It's because there's more testing now, so no, you are not immune..#Realitycheck...

Well I don’t think people were arguing young people don’t get it; just that they don’t die from it.  If you get Covid in this age range it’s still about a 1:500 chance you die (less for 20 something’s, more for those in their 40s obviously).  The biggest danger is still that you can easily be a young person carrier and spread it around to people and loved ones who are far more likely to die than yourself.  

1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

No that’s just common sense once you stop panicking and overreacting. It’s o cloud no one you know lost their entire livelihood because of this so you get to be chicken little about it with people’s lives. Again according to the CDC:

Less than 1% of Americans are infected.

81% and rising of infected have mild symptoms.

1-3% and falling may die.

Please explain how panicking and destroying our daily lives, ruining businesses, making millions of people lose jobs... is a good solution. 

Only 1.6m tests have been administered in the US. Out of 330m population. That’s right around half of one percent of the population. Many more are sick but aren’t being tested. 

• Like 1

Just now, merlin401 said:

Well I don’t think people were arguing young people don’t get it; just that they don’t die from it.  If you get Covid in this age range it’s still about a 1:500 chance you die (less for 20 something’s, more for those in their 40s obviously).  The biggest danger is still that you can easily be a young person carrier and spread it around to people and loved ones who are far more likely to die than yourself.  

This issue is that you can spread it when out and about, not to mention the severe lung damage that can affect anyone with the virus. There's no age cutoff for that damage. Look, if you want to gamble with their lives, get a revolver and play Russian roulette, but when you  gamble with innocent lives, you don't have that right. There's a law about texting and driving, which causes 1.6 MILLION accidents annually, I mean, people know that texting and driving can cause accidents, but it didn't stop them so they had to in act a law to tell you not to, and yet, people still do it, risking other peoples' lives cause they think it wont happen to them, or that it's not THAT bad.  ..I'm sure that if this virus hits you personally, either you, or a loved one, you'll change your attitude, well maybe not, but a sensible, unselfish  person would. Some of us old guys put boots on the ground to preserve your life style, and to say that we're expendable?  I guess by these posts that this is the new American mind set..throw the old folks under the bus so you can go watch a baseball game...Watch out what you ask for, old guys have lived our lives, but we're not ready to simply lay down. Do you have a grandpop? Tell him his life is in danger because you want to socialize and go see a game because it won't kill you, but that he may get infected and possibly die due to your selfishness..See what he says...smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bad Merlin, I didn't mean to quote you....

Interesting.  

This is the sort of thing I've been expecting.  If for no other reason, there is just too much money on the table for the entire sports industry to just insta-quit until a vaccine is discovered.  There are a lot of smart creative people out there and they'll find ways to make stuff happen. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Interesting.  

This is the sort of thing I've been expecting.  If for no other reason, there is just too much money on the table for the entire sports industry to just insta-quit until a vaccine is discovered.  There are a lot of smart creative people out there and they'll find ways to make stuff happen. 

I'm not watching H-O-R-S-E. Can play it myself.

Just saying.

• Like 1

I'd rather watch that than a random regular season NBA game ainec.  Also should have a really cool vibe and, I'm assuming, raise a good chunk of change. 

Reminds me of this.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Interesting.  

Can’t wait to watch guys shooting alone in their home gyms!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FISH ON said:

This issue is that you can spread it when out and about, not to mention the severe lung damage that can affect anyone with the virus. There's no age cutoff for that damage. Look, if you want to gamble with their lives, get a revolver and play Russian roulette, but when you  gamble with innocent lives, you don't have that right. There's a law about texting and driving, which causes 1.6 MILLION accidents annually, I mean, people know that texting and driving can cause accidents, but it didn't stop them so they had to in act a law to tell you not to, and yet, people still do it, risking other peoples' lives cause they think it wont happen to them, or that it's not THAT bad.  ..I'm sure that if this virus hits you personally, either you, or a loved one, you'll change your attitude, well maybe not, but a sensible, unselfish  person would. Some of us old guys put boots on the ground to preserve your life style, and to say that we're expendable?  I guess by these posts that this is the new American mind set..throw the old folks under the bus so you can go watch a baseball game...Watch out what you ask for, old guys have lived our lives, but we're not ready to simply lay down. Do you have a grandpop? Tell him his life is in danger because you want to socialize and go see a game because it won't kill you, but that he may get infected and possibly die due to your selfishness..See what he says...smh

He called you out for making a strawman against an argument no one has made (i.e. young people are immune to COVID-19 - no one has said that) and you went ahead and ignored that and made a separate argument (young people are at risk of spreading COVID-19 to others if they don't quarantine). I agree with you on the second part, but your original post is dragging down the quality of this thread.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FISH ON said:

Not really a reality check. No one has said 18-49 yr olds are immune, just that they are at lower risk of dying which is statistically correct before anyone goes and brings up anecdotal evidence of some 18-49 yr olds dying.

I agree with you that 18-49 yr olds should still stay at home regardless and flatten the curve. But be better than this.

Edited by UberRebel

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

Not really a reality check. No one has said 18-49 yr olds are immune, just that they are at lower risk of dying which is statistically correct before anyone goes and brings up anecdotal evidence of some 18-49 yr olds dying.

I agree with you that 18-49 yr olds should still stay at home regardless and flatten the curve. But be better than this.

I'm frustrated how Walmart and Target are handling the entrance problems. Having people funnel into one entrance and leave out the same isnt smart. they have the side doors on each side and the main 2 sliding doors (Walmart anyway). They should be announcing to the town how they are conducting each individual Walmart and have schedules for what age groups should/can come. Having a line of people breathing (also eye exposure to particles) the same air in the same formation aint gonna solve this shizz.

Edited by Corey In Da House

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm not watching H-O-R-S-E. Can play it myself.

Just saying.

Yeah we all cable, Netfix and the entire world wide web and they think anyone wants to watch overpaid NBA players playing H-O-R-S-E.  Sports are fine but there are tons of other fine things to get into ALL of which are better than H-O-R-S-E games.

• Like 2

Yep I mean - NBA is in for a small surprise if they think anyone cares which of their multi-millionaires compete well at Horse. 

I used to be a pretty rabid fan 80s/90s - I'll never go back, least of all for something like this.

• Like 1

Only show in town will get ratings while nothing else is happening.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

He called you out for making a strawman against an argument no one has made (i.e. young people are immune to COVID-19 - no one has said that) and you went ahead and ignored that and made a separate argument (young people are at risk of spreading COVID-19 to others if they don't quarantine). I agree with you on the second part, but your original post is dragging down the quality of this thread.

Immune was the wrong wording, I apologize that my initial post offended you this much, it was meant to include that this age group is the main age group that has the highest risk of spreading the virus since that age group out number the other age groups, and that they're the ones frolicking on the beaches during Marde Gras, and spring break, and beaches being open in Fla, but I do admit that they did close the parking lots there, only to see them on the beaches anyway, as recently as 2 weeks ago, disregarding all warnings, and they're supposed to be intelligent Collage students? Our future leaders? All this was AFTER the information was reported world wide about how easily it can be transmitted, as well as how deadly it can be to my age group, 60+. and these are our future leaders making the decision to go there and party with the mind set that they weren't at risk, even after the news was full of warnings, yea, I'm a little peeved about it, sorry for the original, is this better?

And I find it amusing that you singled out this post, which is factual nonetheless, the point was/is, that the more infected, the faster it could spread, and the longer we'll need to recover from this pandemic, as "dragging down the quality of this thread" when there have been some, shall we say, ignorant posts saying that the flu was worse? Even after multiple links were shared that  showed the opposite, from highly regarded medical personal including the CDC..Not trying to bring up a dead horse with that comparison,, but those continued statements earlier brought on some heated disagreements, that truly "dragged down the quality of the thread" with troll like posts, that you skipped over, this one did not, but thanks for pointing out my error.

Perhaps you can spend your time finding posts that contain out-dated or misleading information to critique in the future? 

Thanks for calling me out so I could speak my mind, us old farts need to since we're that 1-3% and need to let ya'll know that our lives DO matter.

I made the 2nd post since I left all this out of the first post...had I included everything, I wouldn't have needed the 2nd one.

Did I do better this time? 

Stay safe bro

Edited by FISH ON
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Only show in town will get ratings while nothing else is happening.

There are plenty of shows.  And movies.  And video games.  And music to listen too.  And books to read.  And then there is real life as in communicating with friends and family and taking a walk even.  There are a zillion things to do so I can't imagine why anyone wants to watch H-O-R-S-E for any reason whatsoever.  It isn't even sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There are plenty of shows.  And movies.  And video games.  And music to listen too.  And books to read.  And then there is real life as in communicating with friends and family and taking a walk even.  There are a zillion things to do so I can't imagine why anyone wants to watch H-O-R-S-E for any reason whatsoever.  It isn't even sports.

I watched 4 midgets race a camel yesterday.  Bring it on, I'll watch your HORSE.  

• Haha 5

There's been some legendary games of HORSE played between NBA stars. I've enjoyed them in the past, but I'm not a big fan of the current NBA.  It is still one of the most popular sports leagues though (more so than MLB).

11 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Using the phrase "herd immunity" despite clearly not having any idea what it actually means is not helping your case here.

Simply put: the price of herd immunity in the absence of a vaccine is more infections, and a lot more people dying.

I read an article on herd immunity from a couple weeks ago and now consider myself the world’s leading expert on it. Now please excuse me while I prepare my speech for the Nobel Peace Prize.

• Haha 2

I did a week long mock draft for a fantasy baseball season that may not happen.

I'm definitely not in position to knock anyone who wants to watch HORSE.  🤣

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

So it’s better to just destroy our economy

You're worried more about the economy (a social construct, not a real actual thing) versus human lives.  You're the one that's insane here.  

• Like 8