bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

10 minutes ago, jonninho said:

At what point of the day do these numbers on 'worldometers' get finalized? I am assuming it is by State depending on their respective time zone?

Looking at a lot of the numbers of some individual states, There seems to be positives happening.. although i realize untill it happens for days and days and days consecutively, it doesnt mean all that much just yet.

From what I've seen and I check worldmeters at least a few times a day seems that states do a daily reporting.  I have seen NY do updates throughout the day but the last couple of days its seemed to be a 1 day reporting.  All the states vary to when they report while it seems the east coast reports sooner a lot of times NY and CA are both 2 of the first states to report.

12 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Looking at a lot of the numbers of some individual states, There seems to be positives happening.. although i realize untill it happens for days and days and days consecutively, it doesnt mean all that much just yet.

Without enough testing we don't really know if infections are going up or down is the thing.  Or even how many died because people with symptoms who died at home and could never get the test weren't tested post mortem.  So the data is still very much skewed to under reporting the true nature of what is going on so far. 

The inability to be able to test especially, when there were tons of German-made testing kits available months ago and the decision was made that only made in the USA ones would be used, is just one more maddening piece of a totally screwed up response by the current administration.  It lead to false optimism at the beginning which lead to a laid back what me worry response at the outbreak which has exacerbated this situation to a degree that it makes the federal lack of response to Katrina look like a cake walk in comparison.  It is infuriating to have to deal with this half blind because the data is all messed up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What the other poster said is that every person who died of covid-19 had tested positive to same.  You seem to be saying that it is an either/or a pneumonia or a covid-19 thing.  But from what I've read and seen it is often both as in the covid-19 weakens and wrecks the body so it is very susceptible to pneumonia and vice versa.  To put it in your (heh) specific terms they can often attack the body like a bad guy wrestling tag team.

Know, I understand they can work together and are worse on the body, but we're seeing 1500-2k less pneumonia deaths right now per week than we typically see at this point in the year.  If those deaths are just in the COVID batch now, there needs to be some perspective on that.  If for example 5k people die of Covid last week, but 2k less pneumonia deaths are being reported, thats significant. But yes, like daynlokki is saying, maybe some deaths aren't being counted.  Are 1500-2k people dying at home each week and its not going into the numbers?.

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

CDC just stated today that they are most likely under reporting deaths as people are dying at home without being tested. The only way for a death to count for covid in the USA is if there is a positive test for covid.  No presumptive positives count towards the total deaths. 

https://apple.news/A8qQ-lDTgQJ2dODNsG25zcQ

That makes sense.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

CDC just stated today that they are most likely under reporting deaths as people are dying at home without being tested. The only way for a death to count for covid in the USA is if there is a positive test for covid.  No presumptive positives count towards the total deaths. 

https://apple.news/A8qQ-lDTgQJ2dODNsG25zcQ

Are test kits so scarce they aren't testing the dead bodies?  You'd think they'd eventually get counted into the stats.

9 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Are test kits so scarce they aren't testing the dead bodies?  You'd think they'd eventually get counted into the stats.

The US to this point has done 1.7m total tests. That’s it. 

5 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The US to this point has done 1.7m total tests. That’s it. 

Yeah, honestly, thats an embarrassing number.. the U.S.A needs to step TF up..

Posted (edited)

Its 6pm EST, roughly.

New York has approx 4,000 less cases today than yesterday.

New Jersey has approx 1,000 less cases today than yesterday

California has roughly 800 less cases than yesterday (although on the West coast, that can still go up quickly)

The USA as a whole of me writing this has 13,000 less cases today than they did yesterday.

Meanwhile, in Europe, Spain, Italy, France and Germany have all seen dramatic drops in cases over the last couple days (today included)

Unfortunately, Canada has only roughly 20 less cases today than yesterday (not taking into account the West and their time difference)

Edited by jonninho
California has gone up dramatically since writing original post. Gonna assume it continues to go up in Cali today..
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Its 6pm EST, roughly.

California has roughly 800 less cases than yesterday (although on the West coast, that can still go up quickly)

The USA as a whole of me writing this has 13,000 less cases today than they did yesterday.

Meanwhile, in Europe, Spain, Italy, France and Germany have all seen dramatic drops in cases over the last couple days (today included)

Unfortunately, Canada has only roughly 20 less cases today than yesterday (not taking into account the West and their time difference)

best thing I’ve heard all day...this factual?

2 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Yeah, i pulled all those numbers from the website.. i mean, i dont know how many times it updates which is why i asked earlier, but as of when i wrote it, those were the numbers.. definitely some positives.. i would really like to think that within the next few weeks we can have those numbers in N.America down a lot more leading to some start dates being discussed (under the assumption hospitals are in better position and more equipment is provided to them)

1 minute ago, jonninho said:

Yeah, i pulled all those numbers from the website.. i mean, i dont know how many times it updates which is why i asked earlier, but as of when i wrote it, those were the numbers.. definitely some positives.. i would really like to think that within the next few weeks we can have those numbers in N.America down a lot more leading to some start dates being discussed (under the assumption hospitals are in better position and more equipment is provided to them)

Rock on man!!!

murica needs baseball😃

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

No those numbers haven't been updated since 1pm EST today.

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

No those numbers haven't been updated since 1pm EST today.

That isnt true, man.

I have refreshed it multiple times through out the day and the numbers have all changed, some more than others, but they have changed and this was through out the day which is why i asked when they finalize the numbers for the day, cuz they kept changing.

Edited by jonninho

32 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Its 6pm EST, roughly.

There was a drop in reports from 3/28 to 3/29. Which was last Saturday to last Sunday. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it being a Sunday and LACK of reporting. Then improvement. 

2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

That isnt true, man.

I have refreshed it multiple times through out the day and the numbers have all changed, some more than others, but they have changed and this was through out the day which is why i asked when they finalize the numbers for the day, cuz they kept changing.

Which website?

I don't mean to be skeptical, but kinda hard not to be these days, you know.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonninho said:

That isnt true, man.

The numbers may have changed but they aren't all up to date.  NJ numbers were last updated at 1pm.  There's sources for where they're pulling the numbers man.

3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

There was a drop in reports from 3/28 to 3/29. Which was last Saturday to last Sunday. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it being a Sunday and LACK of reporting. Then improvement. 

Bingo

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Which website?

I don't mean to be skeptical, but kinda hard not to be these days, you know.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by MrBrown
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

The numbers may have changed but they aren't all up to date.  NJ numbers were last updated at 1pm.  There's sources for where they're pulling the numbers man.

Bingo

No one said they were up to date, thats why i asked when they are finalized.

Also, are you suggesting people would take Sundays off or take it easy cuz its a Sunday even in a moment like this? i feel like these are different times man.. Sunday isnt Sunday right noiw..

We're all desperate for good news here, but any drop at this point is absolutely going to be an artifact of the reporting process.  The trend line is clear, and best estimates for the peak are at least a week away.

• Like 1

for Germany. Sunday numbers are Always lower. Sunday is our free day (in normal  Times too). everything is closed. no Supermarkets, no Nothing. your gas Station is open, thats all.  so a lot of local reporting is not there. but our Trend is Looking good Overall. that will continue. Germans are very efficient. when Merkel adressed us (she did the first time in her 15 years, she normally speaks only once a year to welcome the new year) everybody knew, ok this is different and serious. since then, simply 90%+ are following the protocol with discipline.

4 minutes ago, cornerback said:

for Germany. Sunday numbers are Always lower. Sunday is our free day (in normal  Times too). everything is closed. no Supermarkets, no Nothing. your gas Station is open, thats all.  so a lot of local reporting is not there. but our Trend is Looking good Overall. that will continue. Germans are very efficient. when Merkel adressed us (she did the first time in her 15 years, she normally speaks only once a year to welcome the new year) everybody knew, ok this is different and serious. since then, simply 90%+ are following the protocol with discipline.

i totally get that, same in Portugal and most of the world.. my point is i question if Sunday is still viewed as 'free day' taking the situation into consideration, thats all. I just feel there is too much at risk to be treating Sundays like we are in normal times.

22 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Thanks.

I see the citations but am curious about the validity of current data on that site.

Do they pull it from WHO or the CDC?

Yea I'm not entirely sure

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonninho said:

i totally get that, same in Portugal and most of the world.. my point is i question if Sunday is still viewed as 'free day' taking the situation into consideration, thats all. I just feel there is too much at risk to be treating Sundays like we are in normal times.

here, its free day still. we are not in "war" mode. sure, in the south some Hospitals are at 90% capacity. but in berlin for example its only at 50% still.Maybe some labs, in the south espacially, are working Overtime. but we have many on local Level. and the whole reporting System is nit at 100% on sundays for sure. People Need rest. Sundays we rest.

• Like 1

There's estimates of peak dates for each state. No telling how accurate some estimates will turn out to be, but the fact there's differences you shouldn't make assumptions based on reductions in one particular state. 

There's hot spots in Michigan and Louisiana. Florida is a concern.

I welcome news regarding lower new infections, just hope the public doesn't perceive the information as a reason to lessen precautions.

Regardless, Dr Fauci has stated there will be no white flag waved saying it's all clear in terms of social distancing.