bluefrogguy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Shocking that Nick Gillespie thinks government is bad at solving problems.  Next, please inform us of what Cruella deVille thinks about the ethics of using Dalmations as clothing.

Impeachment articles were filed in December, 2019, but I commend your commitment to the art of trolling.

Trial lasted until February but keep on trolling behind your mod badge. 

Bottom line, we have the CDC, HHS, and FDA agencies  ( among others ) to protect the American people. They failed on all levels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yeah...most Americans will chose liberty over their life. We do not like to be told what to do at all

Oh yeah?  You weren't around for 9/11 were you when the Patriot Act was quickly passed and never opposed by more than a handful of Americans.  That act has taken away a number of individual liberties.  And why did hardly anyone, politician or private citizen, oppose some of it's provisions.  Because they chose physical life or principles.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

A little more than a cryptic note that says " coronavirus"...Also curious if you were implying that the impeachment trial was purposely designed to distract the president from COVID19? 

Okay that is way down the nutcase conspiracy hole.  Like a 100 miles deep down.  Impeachment hearings were way ahead of the coronavirus. 

Also a president should be able to deal with the business of the nation under any circumstance.  If he can't then he shouldn't be president.  And those hearings etc were slow and ponderous.  Not something that should divert anyone's attention drastically away from anything.  Not some sudden and terrify invasion of the body snatchers all focus on said snatchers.  If he was more focused on his own political future than taking care of the nation, something in swore in his oath of office to do, then that is a giant fail.

Also should add that PM Boris Johnson entered the hospital last night English time for some tests.  Yeah, right, you go into a hospital on a Sunday night just for a "check-up" on how things are going with that little virus you picked up 10 days ago ... not.  Right then I said, whoa this isn't gonna end well. 

And like Tony posted above he has now been moved to intensive care.  Said not to be on a ventilator yet though there is no way to know if this is more sugar coating news for the British public.  They did say he was put there so he could be "close by" a ventilator just in case which says to me he is already on oxygen at least.  Well lots of people need that equipment right now so this is probably more than just in case.  If he isn't on it yet my guess is his doctors are worried sick he soon will have to be.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

Trial lasted until February but keep on trolling behind your mod badge. 

Your wording was "designed to distract the president".  For that logic to make any sense, they would have had to know about the virus a month before it emerged.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh yeah?  You weren't around for 9/11 were you when the Patriot Act was quickly passed and never opposed by more than a handful of Americans.  That act has taken away a number of individual liberties.  And why did hardly anyone, politician or private citizen, oppose some of it's provisions.  Because they chose physical life or principles.

Okay that is way down the nutcase conspiracy hole.  Like a 100 miles deep down.  Impeachment hearings were way ahead of the coronavirus. 

Also a president should be able to deal with the business of the nation under any circumstance.  If he can't then he shouldn't be president.  And those hearings etc were slow and ponderous.  Not something that should divert anyone's attention drastically away from anything.  Not some sudden and terrify invasion of the body snatchers all focus on said snatchers.  If he was more focused on his own political future than taking care of the nation, something in swore in his oath of office to do, then that is a giant fail.

True...Not sure why impeachment was brought up at all which is why I asked. 

• Like 1

Trump golfed 6-7 times at Maralago and held about equal amount of destination campaign rallies between January and March so "he wuz distracted by impeachment"  was never going to sell even before Trump himself said he wasn't distracted and handled the federal government reaction a 10 out of 10. 

That explanation attempt by McConnell and Senate GOP did however indicate that they don't believe Trump response has been 10 out of 10, or close to it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

Your wording was "designed to distract the president".  For that logic to make any sense, they would have had to know about the virus a month before it emerged.

Fair enough...not sure why impeachment was brought up at all so trying to see what point about that you were trying to make. The trial should never have stopped the CDC and HHS from moving into Washington after the first few cases

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

not sure why impeachment was brought up at all so trying to see what point about that you were trying to make.

It was in the WaPo piece as context for what POTUS was up to at that time -- basically, planning political retaliation and sending a bunch of angry tweets.  He set the Presidential record for the number of tweets in one day on Jan. 23rd at 142.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

It was in the WaPo piece as context for what POTUS was up to at that time -- basically, planning political retaliation and sending a bunch of angry tweets.  He set the Presidential record for the number of tweets in one day on Jan. 23rd at 142.

Ah but I want to know if that record was fair and square or was he on steroids at the time and will have to have an asterisk beside it in future.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Agreed...This should not impair the FDA, CDC, and HHS from protecting the American people. I don't want to hear 9/11 bs about agencies not sharing information like the CIA and FBI. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Agreed...This should not impair the FDA, CDC, and HHS from protecting the American people. I don't want to hear 9/11 bs about agencies not sharing information like the CIA and FBI. 

The same WaPo article cites the week of January 6th as the time HHS began setting up the intra-agency task force, and that there were contingency plans being developed in mid-January by others.  There's only so much an agency can do without looping in the President, and the same anti-government crusaders at Reason you're citing would be apoplectic if "deep staters" were making their own plans without getting approval from above.

What were these plans and where are they published? Why didn't they go into effect? Clearly, they had to have at least some loose contingency plan if a pandemic ever occurred...did this task force go to Washington during the first outbreak?

10 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The same WaPo article cites the week of January 6th as the time HHS began setting up the intra-agency task force, and that there were contingency plans being developed in mid-January by others.  There's only so much an agency can do without looping in the President, and the same anti-government crusaders at Reason you're citing would be apoplectic if "deep staters" were making their own plans without getting approval from above.

For the record don't blame Trump for the virus and there's plenty of blame to go around, however there's plenty of evidence using his own words he downplayed the threat. Why? I will let everyone come to their own conclusions.

4 minutes ago, MrBrett said:

For the record don't blame Trump for the virus and there's plenty of blame to go around, however there's plenty of evidence using his own words he downplayed the threat. Why? I will let everyone come to their own conclusions.

What is your point besides Trump is bad? Dr Fauci said the problem “is minuscule” according to a feb 19 USA Today article. And he has been the leading expert since Reagan.

Hopefully we are seeing signs that this thing is slowing down at least a bit. 

Regarding the government's response: I keep seeing the Trump bashing (shocker) and I do understand it somewhat, but only to a point. His messaging at the beginning of this thing obviously sucked. However, he was far from the only one downplaying this at that time, as there were members of Congress on the other side of the political aisle that were doing the same thing. Not only that, but Trump was called racist and xenophobic from a lot of those same people and media for instituting the travel ban from China. He has at least let the medical professionals take over to his credit (although I will admit he never really comes out and admits he was wrong), and I do feel confident in having him there for the needed economic recovery once we get to the other side of this thing.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

What is your point besides Trump is bad? Dr Fauci said the problem “is minuscule” according to a feb 19 USA Today article. And he has been the leading expert since Reagan.

Minimizing the threat has consequences.  Again, plenty of blame to go around. He is only one person, but he is the leader of the free world. People follow his lead.

if you can't or are unwilling to see the problem with downplaying the threat,  fine. 

I'm tired of people unwilling to take responsibility or admit mistakes. Mistakes were made and it's costing us in so many ways. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

What were these plans and where are they published? Why didn't they go into effect? Clearly, they had to have at least some loose contingency plan if a pandemic ever occurred...did this task force go to Washington during the first outbreak?

Like I said, there's only so much that can be done without some buy-in at the top.  Not every important thing the country is doing can reach the President -- sometimes cabinet agencies have to handle things for a while -- but there is clear evidence of a cabinet head trying to raise the issue in late January and his boss not being interested.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

This is a dishonestly cherry-picked phrase out of an interview where he said "this could evolve into a global pandemic".  They didn't even include the portion of the interview where he used the word 'minuscule" in the article or the video clip, but he does use the phrase "very low" in regards to the *current* danger.  The fact that you're repeating this spin without even bothering to check back for it in context suggests I've wasted enough time here.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Like I said, there's only so much that can be done without some buy-in at the top.  Not every important thing the country is doing can reach the President -- sometimes cabinet agencies have to handle things for a while -- but there is clear evidence of a cabinet head trying to raise the issue in late January and his boss not being interested.

This is a dishonestly cherry-picked phrase out of an interview where he said "this could evolve into a global pandemic".  They didn't even include the portion of the interview where he used the word 'minuscule" in the article or the video clip, but he does use the phrase "very low" in regards to the *current* danger.  The fact that you're repeating this spin without even bothering to check back for it in context suggests I've wasted enough time here.

Right. The Fauci stuff i saw seemed to be referring to the current danger to Americans at that time. At that time it was low. 

27 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Spin it any way you like to express your hate for trump...he said to treat it like the flu which is exactly what trump said. Dr. Fauci said it a month and a half go and almost a month after your whistleblower wrote on a piece of paper. Who would you believe at that point in time? Dr Fauci or the note? If Dr Fauci would have told the president shut everything down then maybe things would be different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Spin it any way you like to express your hate for trump...he said to treat it like the flu which is exactly what trump said. Dr. Fauci said it a month and a half go and almost a month after your whistleblower wrote on a piece of paper. Who would you believe at that point in time? Dr Fauci or the note? If Dr Fauci would have told the president shut everything down then maybe things would be different.

Hardly.  When he was told later when things were worse to shut things down he refused to.

3 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Here’s a great video of the media and all the Democrats downplaying it. Pelosi and deBlasio telling their constituents to go downtown. Bernie Sanders, in MARCH, saying Trump was xenophobic for limiting flights from China. Please, watch the whole thing, then tell me that this revisionist history is somehow true. 

• Thanks 2

Hooo boy.

So, how about them Yankees?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Here’s a great video of the media and all the Democrats downplaying it. Pelosi and deBlasio telling their constituents to go downtown. Bernie Sanders, in MARCH, saying Trump was xenophobic for limiting flights from China. Please, watch the whole thing, then tell me that this revisionist history is somehow true. 

Thanks for posting this. I think Trump deserves his fair share of the blame in all of this, but this thread has turned into a piling-on on one man. I didn't vote for Trump but I don't understand the obsession some people have with taking every. single. opportunity. to bash this guy and spin everything into his fault. It's like nothing I've ever seen before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UberRebel said:

Thanks for posting this. I think Trump deserves his fair share of the blame in all of this, but this thread has turned into a piling-on on one man. I didn't vote for Trump but I don't understand the obsession some people have with taking every. single. opportunity. to bash this guy and spin everything into his fault. It's like nothing I've ever seen before.

It’s Facebook. It’s twitter. It’s not reasonable. It’s people with preconceived ideas. They’re going to blame him no matter what. I didn’t vote for him either. I took great issue with him insinuating governors who weren’t friendly or kissing up to him enough might not get medical supplies. But see, I’m a principled adult who can see right and wrong. Much of the population isn’t that and yes, you see it first hand in this thread. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Here’s a great video of the media and all the Democrats downplaying it. Pelosi and deBlasio telling their constituents to go downtown. Bernie Sanders, in MARCH, saying Trump was xenophobic for limiting flights from China. Please, watch the whole thing, then tell me that this revisionist history is somehow tru

I hate videos that just take one tiny 3 second clip from a 15-minute speech.  Very misleading.  Also, whether the democrats have backtracked or not doesn't have much relevance. You and "Jesse Watters" are just looking to deflect blame.  Things are constantly changing.  What was said a week ago is more relevant now than what was said in January.  Like the guy on this FOX show saying wash your hands and you have nothing to worry about.  Trump saying it's under control and anyone getting sick will receive the care they need.