Sign in to follow this  
jmcampbe11

Roto Pitching Strategy - All Rays All Day

Out of the box strategy, but here me out. In a shallow (10 team) roto league you should consider drafting the entire Tampa Rays starting rotation as well as some of their key relievers. If you look at ADP is seems very doable and I think you'd pretty much be guaranteed to finish with between six and ten points in each of the pitching categories. 

So this would be the core of your pitching staff, and you could round out the other slots with solid RPs who either gets saves and/or holds. This would also be for a league that uses quality starts instead of wins. I'm including the consensus projections for each player next to their name as well. I personally think they're a bit on the conservative side for the back end of the Rays rotation. 

So who's brave enough to try this out? 

34. Snell -Projections - 3.39 ERA / 1.19 WHIP / 223 Ks

52. Morton - Projections - 3.37 ERA / 1.18 WHIP / 219 Ks

76. Glasnow - Projections - 3.58 ERA / 1.20 WHIP / 197 Ks

188. Anderson - 3.18 ERA / 1.11 WHIP / 94 Ks

230. Yarbrough - Projections - 4.18 ERA / 1.24 WHIP / 107 Ks

260. Chirinos - Projections - 4.16 ERA / 1/23 WHIP / 114 Ks

325. McKay - 3.82 ERA / 1.23 WHIP / 93 Ks

382. Castillo - 3.48 ERA / 1.19 ERA / 71 Ks

4 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Out of the box strategy, but here me out. In a shallow (10 team) roto league you should consider drafting the entire Tampa Rays starting rotation as well as some of their key relievers. If you look at ADP is seems very doable and I think you'd pretty much be guaranteed to finish with between six and ten points in each of the pitching categories. 

So this would be the core of your pitching staff, and you could round out the other slots with solid RPs who either gets saves and/or holds. This would also be for a league that uses quality starts instead of wins. I'm including the consensus projections for each player next to their name as well. I personally think they're a bit on the conservative side for the back end of the Rays rotation. 

So who's brave enough to try this out? 

34. Snell -Projections - 3.39 ERA / 1.19 WHIP / 223 Ks

52. Morton - Projections - 3.37 ERA / 1.18 WHIP / 219 Ks

76. Glasnow - Projections - 3.58 ERA / 1.20 WHIP / 197 Ks

188. Anderson - 3.18 ERA / 1.11 WHIP / 94 Ks

230. Yarbrough - Projections - 4.18 ERA / 1.24 WHIP / 107 Ks

260. Chirinos - Projections - 4.16 ERA / 1/23 WHIP / 114 Ks

325. McKay - 3.82 ERA / 1.23 WHIP / 93 Ks

382. Castillo - 3.48 ERA / 1.19 ERA / 71 Ks

What does your offense look like when you use your 3rd, 4th, and 6th on 3 Rays SPs?

I don’t mind grabbing a few of those late guys. But don’t see this as a winning strategy.

• Like 1

Don't think this would work as the top 3 SPs are too expensive. Its not like you are saving much to build an elite offense, and what about saves?

I could see some form of this strategy working, although you mention roto and QS league; I'd think a similar strategy would work better in W leagues (because of the bulk guys) and in head to head where the strikeouts you can at least have a chance to get some points.

12 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

What does your offense look like when you use your 3rd, 4th, and 6th on 3 Rays SPs?

I don’t mind grabbing a few of those late guys. But don’t see this as a winning strategy.

I don't know, Let's look at ADP and see how it could play out. In theory, this could be your starting offense. Seems pretty solid to me...

C- Contreras 1B Freeman 2B-Marte SS-Correa 3B-Devers MI-Biggio CI-Encarnacion

OF-Betts, Jimenez, Castellanos, Mercado, Dahl

UTIL-Calhoun

4. Betts (OF)

17. Freeman (1B)

24. Devers (3B)

37. Snell (SP)

44.K. Marte (2B)

57.Morton (SP)

64. Jimenez (OF)

77. Glasnow (SP)

84. Correa (SS)

97. Castellanos (OF)

104. Robert (OF)

117. Contreras (C)

124. Mercado (OF)

137. Biggio (MI)

144. Dahl (OF)

157 - Encarnacion (CI)

164 - Calhoun (OF)

177 - ?????

184 - N.Anderson (RP)

31 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Don't think this would work as the top 3 SPs are too expensive. Its not like you are saving much to build an elite offense, and what about saves?

I could see some form of this strategy working, although you mention roto and QS league; I'd think a similar strategy would work better in W leagues (because of the bulk guys) and in head to head where the strikeouts you can at least have a chance to get some points.

It's saves + holds. You would draft Anderson and Castillo then add a few solid non Rays RPs to your team later in the draft. 

The most compelling argument against this strategy is the value of roster slots and the need for volume from pitchers occupying them.  Ratios count more when they're over more innings, while a middling K/9 can become a useful strikeout total if the pitcher goes 180-200 IP.  If you do this strategy, however, you're choosing to roster a bunch of guys who are not going to come close to those inning marks.  ATC has Morton and Snell as the only guys projected for over 150 IP, and has McKay, Castillo, and Anderson all projected for under 100.  That's just not rosterable in 10-team leagues unless you have a huge number of bench slots.

Maybe this kind of thing works for 50 round draft-and-hold setups or whatever, but in standard mixed leagues, you gotta go find volume.  You don't necessarily need to draft it, but those mid to late round picks could become something much more useful than a 60-inning starter / follower type.

This can't work well for QS leagues as Rays love to use openers and also not sure they would give Glasnow more than 5 innings even if he feels ok.