Sign in to follow this  
Sidearmer

2020 Draft/Auction Strategy Thread

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

In Only leagues, the good MR who are likely to take over Closer roles are useful Ratio Stabilizers.  In my case, I usually find 20 saves amongst the MR I roster for other purposes throughout the year.  So, yeah, I usually don't bother overpaying for Closers.  If you're already drafting the Hector Neris' of the world then the upcoming saves are nigh free.

True, but even if I draft 2 closers in an only league, I'm still allowed to use the free agent pool, pick up a few MR type guys later in the draft or in the reserve round.  Then any saves I pick up during the year are excess that can be used in deals to get categories I need.  Seems guys like Kennedy, Colome, Melancon, etc. are going for less than they should.  Maybe not by much but by $3-5 less..at least in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

True, but even if I draft 2 closers in an only league, I'm still allowed to use the free agent pool, pick up a few MR type guys later in the draft or in the reserve round.  Then any saves I pick up during the year are excess that can be used in deals to get categories I need.  Seems guys like Kennedy, Colome, Melancon, etc. are going for less than they should.  Maybe not by much but by $3-5 less..at least in my opinion.

I think the issue is that you're limited in where you can move those Saves to.  People punt saves far more than the other cats, so there's likely at least 1 or 2 owners who don't want closers AT ALL, then 3-4 other owners who are already "good" for saves.  So you're down to half the league at maximum for trading partners, who ALSO think they can get saves cheap/free on the wire.

So on raw terms, yeah the value of the saves might be $2-5 more for those middle guys, but because they're NOT the studs, they won't have the strong trade value.  You could flip Hader to ANY team in the league, but only those who NEED saves are paying a premium for Melancon.

[ Posts removed.  This is a strategy thread, which means discussion of general strategies, not requests for valuations of players you're considering. ]

What percentage of fantasy baseball players are on this site?

1 hour ago, B&F said:

What percentage of fantasy baseball players are on this site?

Of all fantasy baseball managers? < .001%

Of Rotoworld forum users? The mods could maybe answer that, ballpark 40%?

1 hour ago, Chaco Chicken said:

Of all fantasy baseball managers? < .001%

That was what I was wondering. I would have guessed more.  I guess there are a lot of fantasy resources.

I was curious if we really do have a separate group on this site.

Posted (edited)

So in light of the NBA being suspended you'd have to think its in the realm of possibility that the MLB season can be postponed. THAT BEING SAID - does it make sense to alter your draft approach to target more players that are starting the season on the DL? Guys like Judge, Paxton, Cespedes etc. come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others just like them. [...] What do you guys think?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Which site has a good auction interface?  Just thinking ahead if we move my leagues draft to an online draft? AL/NL only leagues, auction.

46 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Which site has a good auction interface?  Just thinking ahead if we move my leagues draft to an online draft? AL/NL only leagues, auction.

We use CBS, which handles our NL-Only contract setup and Auction well.  There are some hiccups but generally it does what we need.