Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Freezing Cold Takes

There’s a twitter handle that calls out and RTs everyone’s freezing cold takes—times they were dead wrong on something. An example I remember for myself is thinking Tim Duncan was a stiff, non-athletic PF who wasn’t going to fit into the “new” NBA when he was drafted, and that Keith VanHorn would have the better career. Oops.
Thought it might be fun (and therapeutic) to share our own freezing cold baseball takes.

I’m sure we have plenty. I know many of us fell in love with Brett Lawrie, Desmond Jennings, or Dominic Brown. Raise your hand if you thought Bryce would be better than Trout.

My two that stuck with me—Trading Chris Sale when he began closing in my keeper league, because of the “inverted W” and certain TJS. The other is refusing to buy on Christian Yelich, who was just a boring, .285/20 HR OF. Oops.

What is your ultimate freezing cold take?

• Like 3

Well, my defining moment was trading a minor leaguer named Mike Trout for one Stephen Strasburg in a keeper forever league.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Well, my defining moment was trading a minor leaguer named Mike Trout for one Stephen Strasburg in a keeper forever league.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

it's not that freezing cold of a take, but NOT investing in Acuna in his sophmore or Rookie year because I thought he was going too high was a mistake I always think about that when I draft young guys now. I don't mind spending extra $$$ on youngsters because most of your draft money goes to hell anyway.

• Like 1

"Lewis Brinson is going to be a stud" to my league mates when I selected him in my dynasty rookie draft. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, drunkb said:

"Lewis Brinson is going to be a stud" to my league mates when I selected him in my dynasty rookie draft. 

Of seen a lot of Luis Robert/Lewis Brinson minor league comps. We’ll see how those turn out. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Of seen a lot of Luis Robert/Lewis Brinson minor league comps. We’ll see how those turn out. 

Hahahaha! Guess who owns Luis Robert too?

Edited by drunkb

Posted (edited)

Paid $28 at auction for Franco (while exclaiming “stud”) that year he hit like 25 HR (JK I think it was 8 ) in ST.  😂 

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You’ve got a type lol

I traded Brinson and my 2020 second round rookie pick for D. Price at a good salary to make a run at the playoffs last year. I can keep him for 3 more years. I came in second, so it worked out. I just drafted Kristian Robinson this morning as well. Don't you judge me!!!

I thought there was no chance Correa was going to get called up and when he did i thought they were doing it too soon and he was going to flop.

I thought taking Carmello, after proving himself at Syracuse for the year should have been #1 over that high school kid LeBron James.

I thought AJ Reed was going to be called up and be a stud in 2016 and was a must have prospect.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I thought AJ Reed was going to be called up and be a stud in 2016 and was a must have prospect.

Same. Thought this was the next Goldy. 

• Haha 1

I remember some good takes.  Don’t remember the bad ones.  Must be that I never have them?

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I remember some good takes.  Don’t remember the bad ones.  Must be that I never have them?

spacer.png

• Haha 6

I got in on the ground floor in Juan Soto after hearing about him on some obscure podcast.  Around this time,Jose Altuve was out for a week.  Figuring no one had even heard of Soto,I dropped him for YANGERVIS SOLARTE!!!! The intent was to take altuves place.  Bleacher report did an alert when he was going to be called up.  The guy that won my KEEPER league the last 2 years got Soto.  I got an 0-16 from solarte.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Same. Thought this was the next Goldy. 

Count me in this group as well

took seager in like 5 leagues over gleyber last year. (more LAD homerism)

thought kikushis stuff played. thought he avg 95 according to the scouting report i read not 92 meatballs @Cmilne23 knows my pain.

i was really bummed that i didnt get any shares of  j up, bj upton, and heyward back in ATL. now im glad

didnt think their was a snow balls chance in hell tatis would break with SD last year pre/early ST which is when i do alot of drafts so i just disregarded him.

• Haha 1

My freezing cold take is expecting the Mariners to have made the playoffs once in the last 20 years.  I mean the audacity of me as a “fan” to expect that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

My freezing cold take is expecting the Mariners to have made the playoffs once in the last 20 years.  I mean the audacity of me as a “fan” to expect that.

Geez - past twenty years?  I could’ve been walked you off that particular level.  That’s just inhumane.

I thought Dustin Ackley was gonna be amazing! In 06’..I sold my soul to acquire Travis Hafner...sent some fatty named Prince Fielder in the trade. He hit 50 that next season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluntbros said:

I thought Dustin Ackley was gonna be amazing! In 06’..I sold my soul to acquire Travis Hafner...sent some fatty named Prince Fielder in the trade. He hit 50 that next season. 

Don’t beat yourself up.  Everyone here thought Bustin Ackley would be amazing, except me.  Same goes for any other Mariner prospect.  See me in 5-7 on Kelenic and Jrod, bet they’ll be in a thread like this also.  Alright now let me get my flame suit on!

I had Bregman early,  got the drop way early on his callup.  I think he started 1-49. I believe i dropped him at around 1-48. It's a keeper league.  Ya.

God i forgot about Dustin Ackley. My face cringed when I read that name.  

Traded Aroldis Chapman for AJ Reed after the 2015 season in which Reed had a monster year in ‘15.....

Thought I was going to win the trade in a couple of years; turns out that manager was up to something with his crystal ball! 

BTW, the same guy wants now Thor for Chapman... no no, just no. 

~>_<~~~~