Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Freezing Cold Takes

after Clayton Kershaw's so so rookie season I traded him in my NL dynasty league for a young stud OF ... Colby Rasmus.  I still cringe every time I see Kershaw starting a game for the Dodgers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thinking my addition of Greg Bird in 2016 for the upcoming 2017 season in my dynasty league was the best move I ever made. 

An owner went into panic mode and was shopping Mike Trout in our dynasty league several years back. He asked me specifically for Jose Altuve and because of 2B being so thin that year I hesitated just long enough that day for him to come back to reality and elect to hold onto Trout. 

3 hours ago, Panther239 said:

I was head of the Jordany Valdespin bandwagon

spacer.png

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, bluntbros said:

I thought Dustin Ackley was gonna be amazing! In 06’..I sold my soul to acquire Travis Hafner...sent some fatty named Prince Fielder in the trade. He hit 50 that next season. 

I believe he hit a HR in the first game in Japan?

31 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

2010 draft I took Joe Mauer 6th overall.

joe mauer got me in a different way than probably anyone else. I am a huge Florida State college football fan. I remember I was bragging to my friends he was going to win a bunch of national championships and keep our dynasty rolling. No way he'd pass up football he was the next Marino! No way he could be as good at baseball as football.

I think you guys know what happened next...

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a cold take but I went full spring fever mode last draft and reached for hampson, mcmahon, and Bauers. I felt so smart at the end of March!

• Like 1

Ackey, Jesus Montero, Mike Moustakas (in his first four years), Colby Rasmus, Drew Stubbs, Taijuan Walker.  Just a start of some wild misses from my keeper league in the past ten years.  

Smoak and Montero.. loved em' both;

Traded Arenado away to get Darin Ruf

Dropped Acuna cause i thought i could get him back

All of that and still won a championship in that league last year. 😎

I traded Cody Bellinger THE DAY he got called up for Carlos Martinez.  I really thought I suckered that guy...

• Like 1

Every year I write a draft recap for my league and I praise and question 1 pick per team.  I save each year and go back and read them periodically.  I'll go back and see if there are any doozies.  I specifically remember questioning an Acuna and a Yellich pick though.

I also traded Bellinger & Haniger for Julio Urias in Bellinger's rookie season cause I thought his swing was "too long".

19 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Smoak and Montero.. loved em' both;

Traded Arenado away to get Darin Ruf

Dropped Acuna cause i thought i could get him back

All of that and still won a championship in that league last year. 😎

I felt what's left of my soul leave my body when I saw that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Remember:

Andy Marte?

Lastings Milledge?

Matt LaPorta?

once, about an off-season before he was called up and immediately became a first rounder, I dropped Hanley Ramirez after getting him as the last piece in a trade because “he doesn’t hit for any power”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

There’s a twitter handle that calls out and RTs everyone’s freezing cold takes—times they were dead wrong on something. An example I remember for myself is thinking Tim Duncan was a stiff, non-athletic PF who wasn’t going to fit into the “new” NBA when he was drafted, and that Keith VanHorn would have the better career. Oops.
Thought it might be fun (and therapeutic) to share our own freezing cold baseball takes.

I’m sure we have plenty. I know many of us fell in love with Brett Lawrie, Desmond Jennings, or Dominic Brown. Raise your hand if you thought Bryce would be better than Trout.

My two that stuck with me—Trading Chris Sale when he began closing in my keeper league, because of the “inverted W” and certain TJS. The other is refusing to buy on Christian Yelich, who was just a boring, .285/20 HR OF. Oops.

What is your ultimate freezing cold take?

Hah, had a similar situation myself. I was on the clock with my 1st rd pick in our dynasty league's MILB draft and Sale was the clear cut top available prospect. I too didn't trust him and figured he was gonna end up as a reliever or wouldn't hold up as a SP for too long. Ended up trading down in the draft and the person who I traded my pick to ended up drafting Sale.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Still waiting on the Gordon Beckham Chase Utley breakout...Travis Snider anyone? Jason Heyward is the next Ken Griffey Jr. too, you heard is here first.

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1

I traded May/Wheeler/Rizzo for Abreu/Snell. Not a freezing cold take right?

Well, my wife is a Cubs fan and Rizzo is her favorite player. I explained my concern for Snells elbow to her and she just looked up from her team, simply said “Karma”, and went back to her team.😂

Holding over Price and A.Hicks in an AL Only league over Bieber/Meadows who had an extra year of keeper eligibility because I was trying to win it all last year... Won it all still but would have a much better chance at back to back had I kept Bieber and Meadows. 

I don’t want to here any more stories about winning in here. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ry34No said:

Holding over Price and A.Hicks in an AL Only league over Bieber/Meadows who had an extra year of keeper eligibility because I was trying to win it all last year... Won it all still but would have a much better chance at back to back had I kept Bieber and Meadows. 

You need to start the Slightly Tepid and Lukewarm Takes thread

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Traded 19 year old Soto for Jon Lester and Peraza cause I needed pitching to try to win it all.  Lester went on to bomb completely along with my chances of winning the League.

Edited by damana

2 hours ago, damana said:

Traded 19 year old Soto for Jon Lester and Peraza cause I needed pitching to try to win it all.  Lester went on to bomb completely along with my chances of winning the League.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1