Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Freezing Cold Takes

9 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

Smoak and Montero.. loved em' both;

Traded Arenado away to get Darin Ruf

Dropped Acuna cause i thought i could get him back

All of that and still won a championship in that league last year. 😎

I thought Justin Smoak was the next Mark Teixeira.

Whoof.

delmon young got alot of hype in socal and else where. dude was trash. ha

• Like 1

When Alex Gordon came up as a 3rd baseman he had legit huge hype, I forget exactly what I traded, but it was a lot. I remember seeing his first AB in KC I was standing in front of the TV rooting so hard for him but Curt Schilling K'd him, it was all downhill from there. He become a decent MLB'er but not to the hype he came up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcbane said:

Remember:

Andy Marte?

Lastings Milledge?

Matt LaPorta?

I was all in on all three of these guys and seriously pumped LaPorta as the next great hitting stud.

• Like 1

I was helping to drive the Juan Duran hype train several years ago. Thought he was going to be a 40 bomb per year guy in the majors.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Not sure if this is a cold take but I went full spring fever mode last draft and reached for hampson, mcmahon, and Bauers. I felt so smart at the end of March!

Omg, I did the same thing.  I smartly grabbed both of them (Rockies)in back to back reach level rounds to make sure that i had one elite 2b to back up roghned odor.  You know, just in case odor didn’t pan out.  

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2020 at 6:11 AM, Panther239 said:

I was head of the Jordany Valdespin bandwagon

I am the man right now!

In 2004, I drafted a young, up and coming starter by the name of Johan Santana for a couple of bucks in my auction keeper league. On June 1st he had an ERA over 5.00 so I waived him thinking I had just 'missed' on the player. He was claimed by at last place team. Johan had an 11.13 K9 and an ERA of 1.21 and went 13-0 in the 2nd half. He ended up winning the Cy Young Award. The owner that claimed him ended up winning the league in each of the next 3 seasons as I finished 2nd in each of those seasons. 

• Like 3

I was adamant that Lindor was a glove only SS that wasn't worth a FAAB bid.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

That's a good one! Frigid. 

Posted (edited)

I dropped Nolan Arenado from my dynasty league because I had Evan Longoria and I couldn't picture him usurping his numbers at the time.  I'm pretty sure he did it in his 2nd season (I dropped him after his first).

To make this worse, the owner that picked him up won 4 consecutive championships (twice against me) from 2015 - 2019.

I also sold low on Verlander in that same league after his rough couple of seasons with the Tigers.  Not sure what I got back, but it wasn't as good as Verlander has been with the Astros.

Edited by cizastro
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

delmon young got alot of hype in socal and else where. dude was trash. ha

Funny enough, Delmon Young did end up living up to the MVP-level hype... he won MVP of the Venezuelan Winter League last year, and just lead the Melbourne Aces of the Australian Baseball League to a championship this past February by pacing the league with 13 dongs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oh man...matt laporta and continuing the theme of overhyped brewers specs that never panned out....mat gamel

Lastings Milledge, Jordany Valdespine, and Rafael Montero :(

Faded Yelich in all of my leagues last year 

Posted (edited)

I was wrong about David Ortiz being washed up a couple of times!

Edited by Overlord

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Phil Hughes anybody?

I was all over Joba Chamberlain

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was a proud owner of Clint Barnes when he sustained his deer meat up the stairs injury.🤓

• Like 1

In 1999 my cold take was that Pedro Martinez and Edgar Martinez were too expensive to keep.  I traded them, along with Darrin Fletcher, for Orlando Hernandez and... Mike Caruso. Pedro went on to have one of the best seasons in fantasy history and even Darrin Fletcher had a career year. Edgar was still under contract the following season and had his career year.  That first season after the trade that guy won the league... I came in second.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Made the same mistake

9 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

In 2004, I drafted a young, up and coming starter by the name of Johan Santana for a couple of bucks in my auction keeper league. On June 1st he had an ERA over 5.00 so I waived him thinking I had just 'missed' on the player. He was claimed by at last place team. Johan had an 11.13 K9 and an ERA of 1.21 and went 13-0 in the 2nd half. He ended up winning the Cy Young Award. The owner that claimed him ended up winning the league in each of the next 3 seasons as I finished 2nd in each of those seasons. 

I did the same thing with JoFer his rookie season. Started off lukewarm and wasn't a good bet to get wins on that Marlins team. Dropped him and he promptly turns into the best pitcher in baseball. Woulda won the league had I kept him.

Others:

I was in on Carlos Quentin every year post-injury thinking another monster season was on the horizon.

I thought Ohtani was gonna be a trash, overhyped player.

Shark somehow keeps ending up on my teams, keeps ******** me over. Just because you're in the bargain bin doesn't mean you're actually a bargain.

I thought Frank Thomas was done after leaving Chicago and traded him for some trash closer that held onto his job for about 6 weeks.

I keep drafting Chris Davis and giving him too much time to prove to me what we all know about how done he is, all in the hope that i'm going to pull the lever and get that triple 7, one last 45+ HR year.

I made the same Ryan McMahon mistake a lot of people made last season.

Avi Garcia: the next Miguel Cabrera!

I’m excited to toss more in here, but I’m going to start with my holy grail of baseball freezing cold takes. 

Some years back, I had a rookie Nolan Arenado that I drafted in dynasty. I really liked him and was excited to have him anchor the squad for a while. However, I had a few good options at 3B and was weak at 2B. So I made a deal to get a young, category filler 2B and sent Arenado back because “well, you have to give to get.”

That second baseman I got was Kolton Wong. 

I still struggle to see Arenado go bananas year after year. Talk about the wong call. 

• Haha 1