Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Freezing Cold Takes

Recommended Posts

From a professional analyst standpoint, I remember when Peter Gammons anointed Bobby Crosby (SS - OAK) as his pick to win AL MVP. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Colt Griffin was going to be the next Nolan Ryan.

This is why I never keep prospect arms anymore.🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I did the same thing with JoFer his rookie season. Started off lukewarm and wasn't a good bet to get wins on that Marlins team. Dropped him and he promptly turns into the best pitcher in baseball. Woulda won the league had I kept him.

Others:

I was in on Carlos Quentin every year post-injury thinking another monster season was on the horizon.

I thought Ohtani was gonna be a trash, overhyped player.

Shark somehow keeps ending up on my teams, keeps ******** me over. Just because you're in the bargain bin doesn't mean you're actually a bargain.

I thought Frank Thomas was done after leaving Chicago and traded him for some trash closer that held onto his job for about 6 weeks.

I keep drafting Chris Davis and giving him too much time to prove to me what we all know about how done he is, all in the hope that i'm going to pull the lever and get that triple 7, one last 45+ HR year.

I made the same Ryan McMahon mistake a lot of people made last season.

Avi Garcia: the next Miguel Cabrera!

 

 

Man, how do I not remember Frank Thomas, Oakland A & Toronto Blue Jay?  That year he had with Oakland was really good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dropped Mike Trout in a keeper league his rookie season.... for Cam Maybin.

 

I'll never forget or forgive myself 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

I dropped Mike Trout in a keeper league his rookie season.... for Cam Maybin.

 

I'll never forget or forgive myself 

Dude...I thought my Trout move was bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

I’m excited to toss more in here, but I’m going to start with my holy grail of baseball freezing cold takes. 
 

Some years back, I had a rookie Nolan Arenado that I drafted in dynasty. I really liked him and was excited to have him anchor the squad for a while. However, I had a few good options at 3B and was weak at 2B. So I made a deal to get a young, category filler 2B and sent Arenado back because “well, you have to give to get.”

 

That second baseman I got was Kolton Wong. 

 

I still struggle to see Arenado go bananas year after year. Talk about the wong call. 

hey man at least you got yourself a perennial gold-glove caliber 2B!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

I’m excited to toss more in here, but I’m going to start with my holy grail of baseball freezing cold takes. 
 

Some years back, I had a rookie Nolan Arenado that I drafted in dynasty. I really liked him and was excited to have him anchor the squad for a while. However, I had a few good options at 3B and was weak at 2B. So I made a deal to get a young, category filler 2B and sent Arenado back because “well, you have to give to get.”

 

That second baseman I got was Kolton Wong. 

 

I still struggle to see Arenado go bananas year after year. Talk about the wong call. 

You mean “the wong call”? You sure missed out on some haha’s!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charger_ss24 said:

You mean “the wong call”? You sure missed out on some haha’s!

Sorry...my eyes don’t work like they used too.😂👴🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I believe I said something similar to "drafting Jonathan Schoop will help you win your league" 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a glorious thread. So cathartic. Truly. 

For me, Willie Calhoun comes to mind. 
I like Willie Calhoun - especially at his 2020 redraft price - but going "all in" on him in his first year with Texas was a mistake. Banking on immediate production, in one dynasty startup I took him just picks before Gleyber Torres and Ozzie Albies. In the prospect-draft section of another dynasty, I traded up to snag Willie Calhoun toward the end of round 1 -- just ahead of a prospect named Victor Robles -- who had higher true upside, but wouldn't provide the same immediate production (I used my other 1st round pick on Brent Honeywell).

My coldest take ever was probably that prospect Bryce Harper was supremely overrated and wouldn't amount to much more than his generation's Mike Jacobs. You may not remember Mike Jacobs - maybe that's the point. 

More recently, I've been proven wrong on Royce Lewis. He looks awesome. I really thought he was an overhyped "athlete" who lacked a big-league feel to hit. Now he looks like a golden dynasty asset for years to come. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I just put a mental block on all of my brain farts and brain freezes. I really don't remember them, LOL, but I know they're there. 

I do remember thinking Arenado wouldn't be more than a Mark Grace type hitter on the opposite corner of the diamond. Oops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 4:13 PM, oswald737 said:

I was adamant that Lindor was a glove only SS that wasn't worth a FAAB bid.

 

Yes! I thought the same thing. 

Going back some...I also thought Wily Mo was going to be a stud...and I thought Phil Plantier was going to be a BEAST slugger. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2012 I had to choose between picking up Harper or Trout in a one player keeper league. I chose Trout. 

IN 2017 I picked up Bellinger (in the same league), but dropped him (due to a roster crunch) when Dave Roberts publicly stated he would be demoted once a certain player came back. He went on to hit 39 HRs that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1991, I bought a Kevin Maas rookie card for $10.  Upper deck.   I haven’t checked in a few decades, but I think he’s somehow worth negative money in “Beckett” now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

In 1991, I bought a Kevin Maas rookie card for $10.  Upper deck.   I haven’t checked in a few decades, but I think he’s somehow worth negative money in “Beckett” now.

I crapped my pants when I pulled him out of a pack of Upper Deck cards!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, charger_ss24 said:

I crapped my pants when I pulled him out of a pack of Upper Deck cards!

Those very pants (unwashed) are probably worth more.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

In 1991, I bought a Kevin Maas rookie card for $10.  Upper deck.   I haven’t checked in a few decades, but I think he’s somehow worth negative money in “Beckett” now.

I’ve got a Gregg Jeffries Future Stars I’ll trade you for it.

spacer.png

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I argued with way too many people who applauded the Jason Hayward contract when I railed against it to be a horrible terrible deal at the time it was made for there to be no one mentioning that one here 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I argued with way too many people who applauded the Jason Hayward contract when I railed against it to be a horrible terrible deal at the time it was made for there to be no one mentioning that one here 😂

 

Coming to a Cold Takes thread to brag about being right about something is, ironically, the coldest take anyone can possibly give however.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyson Ross could have been in a body cast and I'd have found a way to overdraft him after 2014/2015.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

 

Coming to a Cold Takes thread to brag about being right about something is, ironically, the coldest take anyone can possibly give however.

 

He's patting himself on the back while talking about other people's freezing cold takes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I argued with way too many people who applauded the Jason Hayward contract when I railed against it to be a horrible terrible deal at the time it was made for there to be no one mentioning that one here 😂

spacer.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

In 2012 I had to choose between picking up Harper or Trout in a one player keeper league. I chose Trout. 

IN 2017 I picked up Bellinger (in the same league), but dropped him (due to a roster crunch) when Dave Roberts publicly stated he would be demoted once a certain player came back. He went on to hit 39 HRs that season. 


what is this, mixing in the Trout pick with your cold take? 😜

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 8:07 AM, cizastro said:

From a professional analyst standpoint, I remember when Peter Gammons anointed Bobby Crosby (SS - OAK) as his pick to win AL MVP. 

Still have the SI with that loser on cover lol.  Thanks for the throwback.  He was so overhyped.  Those A’s teams were fun back then though.  When Mariners weren’t horrible back in early 2000s I use to go to games and watch their BP.  Guys like Eric Chavez and Jason Giambi would bomb 480 foot bombs with ease.  Scouts definitely whiffed hard on Crosby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

This is a glorious thread. So cathartic. Truly. 

For me, Willie Calhoun comes to mind. 
I like Willie Calhoun - especially at his 2020 redraft price - but going "all in" on him in his first year with Texas was a mistake. Banking on immediate production, in one dynasty startup I took him just picks before Gleyber Torres and Ozzie Albies. In the prospect-draft section of another dynasty, I traded up to snag Willie Calhoun toward the end of round 1 -- just ahead of a prospect named Victor Robles -- who had higher true upside, but wouldn't provide the same immediate production (I used my other 1st round pick on Brent Honeywell).

My coldest take ever was probably that prospect Bryce Harper was supremely overrated and wouldn't amount to much more than his generation's Mike Jacobs. You may not remember Mike Jacobs - maybe that's the point. 

More recently, I've been proven wrong on Royce Lewis. He looks awesome. I really thought he was an overhyped "athlete" who lacked a big-league feel to hit. Now he looks like a golden dynasty asset for years to come. 

Oh, I remember Mike Jacobs lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this