Evincar

Willie Calhoun 2020 Outlook

28 minutes ago, spin doctor said:

But what happens if Solak catches ? Solak was the odd man odd. 

Solak was going to get regular ABs, whether at 3B or in a multi-utility role, regardless of this injury.  He seems the most likely to benefit from an everyday job, no matter what now.

On the injury front, the one thing I think we might not want to lose sight on is how this impacts Calhoun's mental psyche when he comes back.  IMO, Heyward was never the same after he got hit.  Just something to keep in mind.

12 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Bottom line is he will be back - and now at a very deep discount. Great player to fill the IL spot.

I get what you're saying, but his consensus ADP was 171 before the injury...so he was already going at a pretty deep discount. If he goes any deeper, in shallower leagues, he won't even be drafted. 

Well, he finally caught a break.

17 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Bottom line is he will be back - and now at a very deep discount. Great player to fill the IL spot.

All my IL spots might be taken by the first week of April with so many guys getting hurt already....

• Like 1

Update:

Willie Calhoun's fractured jaw did not need to be wired shut during Monday's surgery.

A single plate was inserted, but doctors believe the fracture is stable enough to not require additional step. The Rangers are viewing this as an "optimistic development," per Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News. He could be released from the hospital as soon as Tuesday and will be re-examined in two weeks. Calhoun was sedated during surgery, so he will undergo concussion testing when more alert. A stint on the injured list is a virtual certainty, but it sounds like Calhoun's situation could have been much worse.

Source: Evan Grant on Twitter                           Mar 9, 2020, 8:26 PM ET

I guess this is good news. Not totally sure if he is worth hanging on to till the start of the season.

• Haha 1

I’m not holding a guy starting the season on the dl . Chances are very good he will and may not be the same for a while if ever . 

11 minutes ago, spin doctor said:

I’m not holding a guy starting the season on the dl . Chances are very good he will and may not be the same for a while if ever . 

What are you basing that claim on?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, octapuss said:

I guess this is good news. Not totally sure if he is worth hanging on to till the start of the season.

And why not?

56 minutes ago, spin doctor said:

Huh? 

1.  Why wouldn't you keep someone on the IL at the start of the season?  Since Rhys Hoskins was back in 9 days after his fracture and Heyward to up to a month then Calhoun may not be out too long anyway.  At the time of the fracture there was 3 weeks to Opening Day.  So a week on the IL tops maybe?

2.  Huh again?!?!  Not be the same again?  What stuff are you smoking?  He hits with a bat; not his chin.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, Sine_cera said:

All my IL spots might be taken by the first week of April with so many guys getting hurt already....

I will second this. 

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And why not?

Huh? 

1.  Why wouldn't you keep someone on the IL at the start of the season?  Since Rhys Hoskins was back in 9 days after his fracture and Heyward to up to a month then Calhoun may not be out too long anyway.  At the time of the fracture there was 3 weeks to Opening Day.  So a week on the IL tops maybe?

2.  Huh again?!?!  Not be the same again?  What stuff are you smoking?  He hits with a bat; not his chin.

Well I’m not a professional baseball player but I did play a lot of baseball and was pretty good . Good enough yo play in the cape cod league . And I know whenever I got hit I remenbered  it the next time up . I never was hit in the head but wax hit in the shoulder several times . It played mind games with me . That was a serious shot he took . Only he knows how he will react .In this case the falling off the horse and getting back on theory does not come into play . Just saying 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think he’s meaning from a psychological stand point.

but I’m sure he will be fine.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what is this guys ETA? hes sitting on waivers in most leagues - anyone stashing?

Not really "stashing" at this point.  He will be healthy long before the season even resumes (if it resumes).

I would give him an add anywhere he is on waivers.

• Like 1

Where is he projected to bat in that lineup? I've seen projections with him hitting 5th this year, but also that he hit 3rd toward the end of last year. 

12 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Agreed, got good upside for a free player

6 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Why would he be free though?  Confused.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

he wasnt drafted in my 12 team h2h league just for reference 

He won't miss games though.   Sorry still confused. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

He won't miss games though.   Sorry still confused. 

Yeah me too.... Even if he was missing games the guy is projected by many to be a big time breakout.  Even with the risk that he doesn't come back the same the upside is too high to not take at least a late round flyer on.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, Sidearmer said:

17 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I was responding to the post I quoted: not really confusing IMO