JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

Posted (edited)

I’m curious what would happen if one person employed by an NBA franchise — not just a player, but a coach, trainer, etc. — tested positive for the virus. Would be game over, no pun intended.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

Has the NBA season ever been cancelled over the flu?

Because that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year and is highly contagious

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Only way i see that happening is if the players begin getting sick. Apparently, the virus will peak by June, so maybe some of the playoff series and finals will be played with out a crowd. Highly doubt it effects fantasy season. 

Edited by Soccer8098

Posted (edited)

Dang, we bringing fear tactics to the NBA as well. Let’s list.

h1N1

SaRS

Ebola

Bird Flu

Swine Flu

How many games were cancelled?

Edited by RedDogNamedClippers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's clickbait headlines like the one OP used that lead people to react in the opposite direction and dismiss the novel coronavirus like the seasonal flu, which it's not. 

I highly doubt the NBA season is in jeopardy but the coronavirus is both more contagious and more fatal than the seasonal flu. It's not something we should underestimate but it's also not the Zubacalypse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These mfers didn't cancel the games when kobe passed away, i doubt they are cancelling games over the virus. but if it does get more serious i can see players not wanting to play in regards to their skepticism playing for big crowds. It shouldn't affect the fantasy season though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shiftysaj said:

These mfers didn't cancel the games when kobe passed away, i doubt they are cancelling games over the virus. but if it does get more serious i can see players not wanting to play in regards to their skepticism playing for big crowds. It shouldn't affect the fantasy season though.

lol those two things arent remotely similar. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

CJ McCollum has already went on full panic mode on his Twitter. This might get interesting... Owners want games to be played in front of full audience and players might have different ideas.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JormaJormala said:

CJ McCollum has already went on full panic mode on his Twitter. This might get interesting... Owners want games to be played in front of full audience and players might have different ideas.

Haha it’s true. He def did.

and holy ****.. look at the team in my sig lol

its been so many years since my last log in, and I just log in just to pass on some info regarding this corona virus

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Owners don’t have the choice if their arenas are full. The risk for the NBA is if an infection happens at an NBA arena. That would mean people would avoid NBA games around the country.

Outside of a few select cities like NYC, SF, Chicago, Toronto, DC, Boston and maybe Philly & Atlanta most American cities majority of people drive to work, so they aren’t in confined spaces where the disease could easily spread like a subway, and don’t walk through huge packed crowds daily, but unless they’re at a sporting event like an NBA game (unless they’re at your local Bernie or Trump rally of the day/week).

If there were to be an outbreak at a game in like OKC or Utah, that may be the only place where a large number of people will be in a confined area in the entire city at that time. So it’s really a risk, I mean luckily for the NBA the most densely populated cities all have teams that suck this year, so it would be at least a little ironic if the few people showing up for the Bulls or Wizards were to get coronavirus.

i think it’s a bigger risk than people are considering right now.

Edited by worldclass
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, alexstr said:

Because that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year and is highly contagious

NO

this virus is much more serious than flu

please do not underestimate it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionsss said:

Fellas, you guys seem to be not taking this corona virus serious enough even though a worldwide outbreak is starting. As someone in Hong Kong and seeing how the situation in Japan, Korea and italy starting to get out of hand, I sincerely suggest you guys to

• AT LEAST have a couple boxes of medical masks
  • A few bottles of alcohol hand rub gel at home as precautions
  • Wash your hands often

DO NOT TOUCH your face ( rub eyes) without washing your hands before.

You guys probably underestimated the strength of this Wuhan Corona Virus, this new virus is:

1. Highly contagious like the common flu

2. Serious patients (around 25% of infected patients) will have permanent damage to their lungs, thus affecting their vital capacity for the rest of their lives 

3. This virus is particularly fatal to older patients. 

add on the fact that China had been hiding the facts about this whole situation, you can bet the fatal rate is higher than just 2%,  then you would understand the concerns of athletes like CJ.

Italy had already suspended their soccer games and the Tokyo olympics is really in jeopardy, as they are on the verge of cancelling it. 

Please don't take it lightly, starting to have signs of outbreak coming to US too,  please try to get prepared my friend. 

i second this

9 minutes ago, Jessie said:

NO

this virus is much more serious than flu

please do not underestimate it

No...no, it's not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alexstr said:

No...no, it's not.

I mean, it is. Its atleast 10x more deadly than the seasonal flu so thats pretty serious depending on how old you are and what pre existing conditions you have.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jessie said:

i second this

a lot of these things are what most dirty AF humans should be doing already. Wash your fukccking hands - dirty a$$holes walking around everyday without washing.

I’ll disagree with the buying up of the face masks ... they only need to be used by dirty infected Fuchs and medical workers. 

save those masks for the people that need them.

Ps: wash your hands. Stop picking your nose. Pretty much stop being a disgusting human and you will be safe from everything 

25 minutes ago, Soccer8098 said:

I mean, it is. Its atleast 10x more deadly than the seasonal flu so thats pretty serious depending on how old you are and what pre existing conditions you have.  

Sheep, swayed by whatever clickbait headline you read.

Next week you'll be talking about black mold, the week after that trans fats

8 minutes ago, alexstr said:

You must be listening to Donald Duck... 

Fact 

On average, seasonal flu strains kill about 0.1% of people who become infected. 

But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4%.

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You must be listening to Donald Duck... 

Fact 

On average, seasonal flu strains kill about 0.1% of people who become infected. 

But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4%.

OK, lets talk next week when you've forgotten about COVID and crying about grain fed beef being the next plague.  See ya then

I had not even considered this possibility. Like many of us, I come to hoops for escape from the headlines of the "real world."

Yes, it's a real possibility, especially seeing what happened with Italian Soccer.

This boils down to what happens this coming week or two in the U.S. If the U.S. "unexplained" cases spike, yes, it will get very real, very fast. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alexstr said:

We have a flu vaccine and things in place to manage the flu. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Are you a scientist? Or do you know anything about viruses like this? Im gonna say no, you're just a conspiracy theorist that goes against the grain about everything to try and sound smart. People like you are just as dangerous as the people that are overreacting to the fullest. This isnt The Walking Dead, but its likely a very serious event that many people worldwide will die from in the next year or so. 

Edited by Soccer8098